[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

She had more of a backbone in season 6 and 7 then she does now. 

LOL Nah, she really didn't. Those two seasons were the worst in that regard. She was always tiptoeing around Sheldon and worshipping him while he was treating her like shit with only the occasional milestone episode being the exception to the rule. The S6/7 Shamy threads are full of discussions about that if you don't believe me.

Edited by April
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Two words:  Market studies.  Warner's/CBS don't just follow their whims.

No they don't use market studies on the direction a show takes.  They use test audiences, before the show airs and they may use the ratings to guide them, but overall, the writers write what they want.  If they would have used market studies, you would see Sheldon and Penny together.    Lorre and Prady were very forthright in talking about working changes, to the characters, during the writers strike, without talking to CBS, as they were on strike.  A more recent, rather huge, example would be how Bernadette became pregnant the first time.   They were working an ending, Molaro jokingly suggested have Bernadette announce she was pregnant. Molaro and the writers there talked about it, they couldn't come up with a reason why not.  When it was brought to Lorre, he read it, asked Molaro if he was sure, and when Molaro said yes, Lorre told him to "run with it."   That hardly sounds as if they are using any kind of market study.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tensor said:

No they don't use market studies on the direction a show takes.  They use test audiences, before the show airs and they may use the ratings to guide them, but overall, the writers write what they want.  If they would have used market studies, you would see Sheldon and Penny together.    Lorre and Prady were very forthright in talking about working changes, to the characters, during the writers strike, without talking to CBS, as they were on strike.  A more recent, rather huge, example would be how Bernadette became pregnant the first time.   They were working an ending, Molaro jokingly suggested have Bernadette announce she was pregnant. Molaro and the writers there talked about it, they couldn't come up with a reason why not.  When it was brought to Lorre, he read it, asked Molaro if he was sure, and when Molaro said yes, Lorre told him to "run with it."   That hardly sounds as if they are using any kind of market study.  

Test audiences are market research.

Dial tests.

Yeah, and test audiences are used before the show airs, not during it's run.   Again, opinions on Sheldon and Penny would have had them together, notice they aren't.   Opinions on Amy were overwhelmingly against her and Sheldon getting together, in the beginning, but they are.  And perhaps you can point out where, in between the time the writers came up with it and Lorre said to run with it, the audience test occurred on the pregnancy?    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Will if you like a selfish manchild who puts down and insult his Friends and their choice of Women and is mean and cruel to his Girlfriend than I guess he your guy. Though he not as bad as he was in earlier seasons he still has a lot of improving to do.

They all insult each other. Howard's fat shaming of his mother was cringe worthy, and if Amy thinks he's cruel, then she can leave him. I personally think cruel is too harsh a word, though.

Edited by Tensor
Removed backhand comment about other posters

3 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I would not blame Jim Parson I blame writers and Producers. Jim has n control over how much screen time he does and doesn't get.  his Emmy Award Winning Days have long been over I agree. 

So only four, oh well I hope he can sleep at night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Run to India 1

I would not blame Jim Parson I blame writers and Producers. Jim has n control over how much screen time he does and doesn't get.  his Emmy Award Winning Days have long been over I agree. 
He doesn't seem to have a problem with screen time compared to the other actors

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

He doesn't seem to have a problem with screen time compared to the other actors

Can you elaborate, I'm not sure what this means. 

I don't blame Jim no. The producers of the show clearly give his character certain amount of screen time for various reasons. Even if ratings declined hypothetically speaking. Not sure that would change much. Jim is the highest paid actor on the show. I guess his Four Emmy Wins alot to do with that. But I Do agree his Emmy Winning Days are behind him. Clearly fallen out of favor with the Emmy Academy. But Four is pretty good haha. I just miss the show when it was less relationship focused. And more Friendship Dynamics. And a more balanced show. But tbh it was the only the first two seasons where it was Science Driven you could say. When Leonard and Penny got together 3x01. That is when the show started becoming more relationship driven. Just seems alot of the plots they do these days are forced, and inorganic. Alot of S8-10 does feel unneccessary.

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Doesn't he get more screen time than anyone else

True but you said that "he doesn't seem have a problem with it"...as if Jim had or should have expressed an opinion about that fact.

• Like 2

True but you said that "he doesn't seem have a problem with it"...as if Jim had or should have expressed an opinion about that fact.
Actually I've never heard any of them complain but i understand i could have expressed myself better

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't blame Jim no. 

You did blame Jim...

6 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Logically if ratings go down it well be Jim Parsons fault.

17 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Jim is the highest paid actor on the show.

As far as we know, the original five all earn the same salary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tensor said:

Yeah, and test audiences are used before the show airs, not during it's run.   Again, opinions on Sheldon and Penny would have had them together, notice they aren't.   Opinions on Amy were overwhelmingly against her and Sheldon getting together, in the beginning, but they are.  And perhaps you can point out where, in between the time the writers came up with it and Lorre said to run with it, the audience test occurred on the pregnancy?    

They do focus groups about characters, etc.

It's pretty basic stuff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

They do focus groups about characters, etc.

It's pretty basic stuff.

Then perhaps you can explain why the producers acknowledged the desire for a Sheldon and Penny pairing, and yet didn't produce that.  From what I can understand of your point, if they did such groups,  and found a desire for one pairing, they would do that pairing.  Yet the producers publicly, several times, have mentioned it's not going to happen.  

And, again, perhaps you can point out where, in between the time the writers came up with it and Lorre said to run with it, the audience test occurred on the pregnancy?    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

So only four, oh well I hope he can sleep at night.

No need to get defensive, no one is saying he didn't win the 4 he won. Jim could have won 8 for all I care . Still wouldn't make me like Sheldon.

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

Can you elaborate, I'm not sure what this means. 

Very simple: That while everybody else's screen time has diminished his hasn't. Due to this fact a lot of people have given TBBT the moniker: The Sheldon Show. IMO, he's featured too much, and I don't find him that funny. However, as someone else has already said the problem would also seem to lie with the decreasing quality of the writing.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

Where do you get this information?  Online discussion boards? Pew Research?

Online discussion boards do not accurately reflect the demographics and opinions of total fandom for any show or activity.  They are generally too self-selecting and there are a whole world of folks too intimidated to express or defend their opinions on discussion boards.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic