[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

It does feel OOC, because when the show started Raj, couldn't even speak to the female population. So...in some ways, he is actually more confident and functional now

But I would cut Raj some slack. I feel Raj  is at an unfair disadvantage here because,, he did not grow up in the US. He is educated and wealthy, but there has to be some culture difference he had to get used to, and maybe some unpleasant experiences that he is an "outsider", including casual racism . So maybe this is down to his specific immigrant experience ? Having a friend like Howard who makes fun of his culture and mocks him for being too effeminate made it worse ?  The others also mock him. Raj generally feeling left out , like a seventh wheel, also could be a contributing factor.

I agree that it is largely Raj’s own fault when it comes to his misfortunes, romantic or otherwise. They all mock each other.  But Raj is the closest with Howard out of everyone in the group, so if his Dad were to blame someone for throwing insults/passive aggressive/snarky remarks at him and decreasing his confidence over the years, , it would be Howard. I can buy that. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 2

If I understand correctly, the trigger for the fight in this episode is that Raj is applying for a second job at the Griffith Observatory, as a host for those shows about the stars that usually are held at observatories, and Howard mocks him again. I guess Raj is applying for this job mostly because he is in need for money, so probably with his jokes Howard is hurtful. Now, we all agree that Raj is the cause of his own problems, so I don't really feel sorry for him, but it's also true that friends should know when it's appropriate to be teasing and when it's appropriate to be supportive. This show sometimes crosses this line, with all characters, so I like the idea of an episode where some of them go "meta" with that topic and acknowledge that.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

If I understand correctly, the trigger for the fight in this episode is that Raj is applying for a second job at the Griffith Observatory, as a host for those shows about the stars that usually are held at observatories, and Howard mocks him again. I guess Raj is applying for this job mostly because he is in need for money, so probably with his jokes Howard is hurtful. Now, we all agree that Raj is the cause of his own problems, so I don't really feel sorry for him, but it's also true that friends should know when it's appropriate to be teasing and when it's appropriate to be supportive. This show sometimes crosses this line, with all characters, so I like the idea of an episode where some of them go "meta" with that topic and acknowledge that.

Same here. I could not agree more about the teasing and supportiveness/ mocking crossing lines. I guess writers see it as something funny but although some situations could lead to a spontaneous laugh for the non sense, overall the feeling is bad what is long friendships concerned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, April said:

Raj is down on his luck right now so Howard's teasing might just be the last straw. Sure, he can be a good friend but the wrong joke at the wrong time can do a lot of harm. Heck, Howard can come off rather mean spirited regardless of intention so I wouldn't let him off the hook right away.

And sure, they could all sit down and talk it out like mature adults but you can't do that for every plot or the show starts to feel like a therapy session every week. lol Let the characters blow off some steam and do their thing for a while. They'll figure it out soon enough.

Of course, I wasn't saying the plot is problematic, I was referring to the characters' actions for what they are for the chatacters. Mistakes make for comedy, I am not saying the writers shouldn't have written this story. Take Beverly for example, she has done horrible things and should have had her therapy license revoked but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy her as a sitcom character.

Edited by bfm
  • It's a Tiara 1

The planetarium thing I can see Raj getting pissed and falling out with Howard, the only bit I am unsure of right now is Raj's dad and this bigger notion that Howard is a big factor in all of Raj's issues. Now they might make it clear in the episode with examples that indeed Howard has been a problem, but then they might not. And we don't know if this will be a couple of epiosdes arc (there is some frostiness by the sounds of it carrying into the next episode but then maybe it gets resolved?) or it may lead to something bigger.

It's interesting and could be something different. But with every episode they tell a story and sometimes the stories hit or miss. I am interested to see where this one sits.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

11 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

We paid a fee to the clergyman and tipped the music director and the altar girl when my oldest daughter got married.

Cultural digression. Wages v tipping. We hired the string ensemble - no idea about the organist, but I think the fee to the church covered it. Anglican High Church venue but lapsed Methodist and nominal C of E participants. Aussies tip wait staff maybe and maybe donate to church. Soooo not up with the US tipping customs. Always confuses me when I visit.

• Haha 1

This could be a great plot maybe the best TBBT has ever had if they play it right.

Raj stays pissed, Howard keeps trying time after time to "make up" with him. Raj dosent want to forgive him and howards attempts just make him madder.

Finally he has enough says screw it and moves back to India or to another university.  :icon_twisted:

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, JE7 said:

This could be a great plot maybe the best TBBT has ever had if they play it right.

Raj stays pissed, Howard keeps trying time after time to "make up" with him. Raj dosent want to forgive him and howards attempts just make him madder.

Finally he has enough says screw it and moves back to India or to another university.  :icon_twisted:

Don't worry, because...            :icon_cheesygrin:

r_064.gif.fd7eb5ee4cb045a183de8088906d20b7.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'll be honest i've never considered that Howard might be the cause of a lot of Raj's issues. Sure they are snarky with each other and obviously Howard is the one who comes out with Indian cultural jokes more than anyone but he does give as good as he gets. And Raj's dad backing this notion that he was more confident at home? I am pretty sure I remember Raj having issues back home especially being nervous.

Howard has also done a lot for him other the years including providing a roof over his head, trying to help in recent years with women, making him Halley's godfather etc.

I am really, really interested to see how this plays out and whether they can sell it to the audience. Like @mirs1 said there could just be some kind of meta-joke at play more than anything.

In one episode there is a comment by Raj that Howard's friends with him so that he has someone to pick on.

But I agree, it's generally not meant to harm.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, brilliantfool said:

Raj/Leonard so I totally see their point. Maybe you're just less sensitive , like Penny/Howard : )

Even though I loved raj standing up for himself I will agree it felt a bit OCC, maybe not OOC but kinda rushed ! It progressed so fast it didn't feel natural.  

I'm sorry bf ( I know it's your screen name but for some reason I feel bad calling you brilliantfool because even if it contains the word brilliant it also contains the word fool and it doesn't seem right) but I don't know what's going on with the quote function since it truncated your post (in my quote) more than I intended. The part of it I wanted to answer to was the part where you mention I might not be sensitive as Raj/Leonard are, and that maybe I'm more like Penny/Howard. I wanted to tell you that is not the case. I am quite sensitive. Actually some friends say that maybe a little too much. The thing with me is that I always look not just at the action but the heart of the person behind it. As spectators of, in this case a sitcom (but I think it would apply to a drama as well)we are privy not only to actions but motivations, as we get the overall picture of the character behind the action. That is the main reason why I don't take Howard's actions as mean or ill intentioned, because I know from watching the show that he loves his best friend. That is also the main reason why I sometimes find it a little hard to stick up for Raj.  I know he's sensitive but I also know he's been a total douche to his friends specifically , and to women, in general. Totally sorry about my rant, but I wanted to explain my position a little bit better. I hope I did.

17 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'll be honest i've never considered that Howard might be the cause of a lot of Raj's issues. Sure they are snarky with each other and obviously Howard is the one who comes out with Indian cultural jokes more than anyone but he does give as good as he gets. And Raj's dad backing this notion that he was more confident at home? I am pretty sure I remember Raj having issues back home especially being nervous.

Howard has also done a lot for him other the years including providing a roof over his head, trying to help in recent years with women, making him Halley's godfather etc.

I am really, really interested to see how this plays out and whether they can sell it to the audience. Like @mirs1 said there could just be some kind of meta-joke at play more than anything.

Absolutely perfect post. Thank you very much.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 3

The adjective 'sensitive' can be applied in more than one way. It can be 'easily hurt' or 'take offence easily, touchy'. OTOH it can mean 'aware of others' feelings' or 'tactful and gentle', which is a nice way to describe someone. Raj can be the most insensitive person around when it comes to how he treats others. 

• Like 3

Thanks @brilliantfool for writing the TR during your flight, very generous of you! This seems a very funny episode, I think all plots are interesting...BTW, Raj was very angry with Howard indeed, the fight lasted 2 episodes, ouch!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 5
  • Koala Face 2

1 hour ago, brilliantfool said:

.../snip

It was really funny, Johnny and Kaley were killing it I think, I love their self-sarcastic moments. Idk if shippers will see it that way but for me it was very funny

.../snip

Thanks again! As an admirer of Leonard and Penny, I can only laughingly answer your remarks: typical Lenny!  :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 7

Thanks very much for taking your time during your flight for doing such great report! You are very nice and generous, I won't ever forget how cool you are :)

I must confess this episode is the first from this season that seems a complete tbbt episode.  I mean it has strong plots for all characters and there is a sense of comedy but also progression for all characters.  I am glad you got the chance of attending this one :)

Thanks! *kudos*

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, brilliantfool said:

Hey guys! I wrote up a TR for 11x11 while being on the plane!

Just warning, my grammar/citation is probably inaccurate cause I'm not a native speaker. Sorry about that!

Lenny part is prob very accurate cause they've had less scenes and I was seated like directly across 4A, and they had simpler dialogue.

Halley's plot and Shamy plot definitely miss some things / are more condensed. 

First Lenny scene : 

Penny comes home and brings the mail including Leonard's brother's Christmas card, Leonard's not excited to see it, he wonders sarcastically if it's another card with his brother and all his family and all his dogs and all his horses in matching pijamas, if it is he doesn't wanna see it. Penny says 'awww but it's so cute, the people's pajamas have little horses on them and the horses pajamas have little people'. Then she says 'hey look it's so cool , it says your brother worked in a non profit organization building houses in Rwanda' (something like that, I'm not exactly sure why it would be on a Christmas card but it was there) Leonard repeats that in a mocking tone, implying his brother's bragging. Penny says 'huh, good point, didn't see it that way'

Second scene - Penny sees Leonard near the white board, he explains he's trying to think of all the cool stuff they did this year and come up with a list. She asks if she can help and he says - 'yeah, can you think of something?' They kinda stare into the space for a while and can't think of anything. Then penny suggested writing down having good careers - and Leonard was like 'yeah, but I did get my air force project taken away from me, and you're not crazy about pharmaceutical sales'.

Then Penny says '.... how about... we just write down still employed?' So they wrote that down. 

Then Leonard suggested the fact they had their second anniversary and Penny says thinkingly 'but we did kinda forget about it...' and they were like how about we just write down 'still married'?

It was really funny, Johnny and Kaley were killing it I think, I love their self-sarcastic moments. Idk if shippers will see it that way but for me it was very funny

Third scene - Penny gets out of the bedroom wearing her pajamas , sees Leonard stayed up all night, wonders what he was doing, he says he tried to come up with more stuff for the list. There are a few jokes that are kinda gross haha (nothing important or related to their love life)

Then they figure out ok let's just browse through our phone feeds and see some pics to jog our memory.. (Johnny messed up on the first take, he forgot my prop phone) they see some pics and are like - was that the day we almost went to the beach? No , thats the day we almost went to the mountains... They say that's what's great about California is that it has both mountains and the beach that you can almost go to on the same day

Fourth scene I've already described pretty much. Penny's asking Leonard why it bothers him so much, he says because it feels like everybody's moving forward, like should we think about it too - buying a house, having a child ? Penny says yes I wanna do all those things but there's a bunch of stuff I wanna do first ! Leonard asks like what, she says ' like stay thin and have money'.

Then they kinda come to a middle ground - she says they've never taken a big trip together so far, do you wanna take one? Then they settle on doing a day trip to santa Catalina island. 

Fifth scene is a tiny pretaped one - they're on the road to Santa Catalina, Leonard is asking - what we're gonna do there? - Penny says 'Im gonna be hiking and kayaking, I don't know what YOU're gonna do' Leonard wonders if there's a bench overlooking the ocean and says that will be enough.

Halleys birthday party plot

Somebody  (guys in the cafeteria?) ask Howard if they're gonna celebrate Halley's first birthday, like, it coincides with Amy's and all that. Howard says nahh we're not doing anything - she's one, Bernadette's on bed rest, etc.

Later on in the episode he declares Halleys birthday party is tomorrow because apparently 'only a heartless monster' won't celebrate his child's first birthday (implying bernie's words). Since Raj still won't talk to him he seeks Stuart's help. Basically he needs Stuart to plan all of the party. Stuart first agrees (some funny jokes about Stuart and parties) then bails at the last minute cause a spot for a free colonoscopy in a public clinic suddenly opened up ? , so Howard has to enlist Raj's help. There we see raj's new apartment I think for the first time? 

Raj first disagrees but then agrees saying he's not doing it for Howard but for Halley, he loves her.

Then some other party details probably.

Then at some point (don't remember how or why it happened) Howard gets in the bouncy castle in the backyard while Raj is inside it (Raj brought it for Halley's friends, but no friends showed up cause kids got sick or something).  They're arguing and Raj is really angry - like 'why are you making this so difficult??' Howard is emotional and says 'because you're my best... my best friend... ' and pushed him to the chest angrily so Raj falls, but cause it's a bouncy castle jumps back up . First he's angry at Howard for pushing him but after a couple more pushes they realize it's fun and go like 'do you wanna go together at the same time ?' And have fun with it

Shamy 

Sheldon is planning a birthday weekend for Amy (with Sunday being her actual birthday). (Ofc annual coitus is also planned). The theme of the birthday celebration is little house on the prairie. He decides to cook traditional food for her, etc

There are a couple scenes with him and the guys / him and Lenny about the birthday , not really important 

When Amy comes home I'm assuming Saturday evening she sees candles lit up, she asks if electricity went out. Sheldon says no, it's your birthday surprise . She screams from happiness and runs to hug him. They sit at the table and eat, all the food he's prepared is traditional and doesn't sound very delicious, but it took him 9 hours to prepare so he's kinda proud. 

Amy doesn't like the food

Afterwords they move to the couch, he was gonna read her some traditional 19th century ?lymerics?, but he's only able to read a couple lines before Amy asks - 'do you think it's getting hot in here?' Sheldons like - 'wow, I haven't even gotten to the dirty part yet'. But Amy states she's not feeling well, she feels something weird in her stomach. Sheldon answers that he can feel it too, maybe those are first 'violent cramps of arousal' (something along those lines, it was very funny). Then there was some line I forgot, then Sheldon excuses himself saying he has to freshen up and runs to the bathroom, and Amy hears him puking. She yells asking if he's gonna be out soon and he says 'a minute' and Amy shouts 'I don't have a minute', jumps up and runs to the kitchen sink to puke.

Next was a pretaped scene when they are laying on the bed exhausted & covered in sweat & very tired... They ask each other did you manage to get some sleep, Sheldon says he thinks he passed out on a toilet once. Then he's like 'now time for your annual coitus gift'. Amy asks him, exhausted , how can he even think of sex. I don't remember his answer, something along the lines of 'I'm a man', etc. She then says - 'ok, can you do it silently and without touching me?' 

Then Amy says something like 'I'm tired, I'm exhausted, my head's spinning, I feel like I ran a mile ' (not exactly that, something stronger, basically listing all the ways how she's still feeling awful physically after that night) and Sheldon replies 'so you're feeling better too, right?'

Then we see them at Howardette's for Halley's bday, Leonard or one of the guys asks them if they're feeling better, they say yeah. Then everybody goes inside when Bernie says Halley woke up, Shamy stay in the yard. They see a bouncy castle and they're like ... are you thinking what im thinking? Let's go jump in the bouncy castle and then find a spare room to have coitus in : O

I think it was the tag 

Thanks for the TR @brilliantfool, it sounds like a funny episode and now we also know that Lenny never went on any honeymoon after their wedding. 

Q0key.gif

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Zhalen565 said:

I find it strange that they would consider going to Catalina, bearing in mind that’s where Leonard and Priya went, especially how upset Penny was in that episode. 

Thought the same thing when I saw the reference to Catalina Island @Zhalen565 . I suppose TPTB don't recall...

• Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic