Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I believe otherwise. I think if Penny shot him with a gun, he'd make up some excuse for her and say "let's give it another chance".

I gotta go with Hewolf on this.  Leonard has demonstrated quite a few time that he will be stay feeling miserable, if it makes Penny happy.  If he was convinced Penny would be happier divorced from him, he'd go along with it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, vonmar said:

We’re getting close to the time that CBS and Warner Bros. will need to (reluctantly) decide if the show will go beyond the contracted 12th season next year. For its sake, and that of its fans, it may be time to officially declare an endgame.

I didn't want them to renew this last time.I wanted them to wrap it up and go out on top. So I totally get this.

19 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

He intended to deprive Leonard and the guys of it. Just to proove a point.

He never intended to deprive them of it or he would have actually taken it himself, in spite of the fact that it was worthless at the time, and not put it on Leonard's flash drive. But yes, he was trying to prove a point.

17 hours ago, vonmar said:

Almost all the people Sheldon has gone up against have made conscious choices that have allowed them to be played.

YES! And he just knows how to play them.

17 hours ago, vonmar said:

He's practically been doing it since day one.  But his friends continue to do stupid things in front of him, share things with him that they shouldn't and in the end it bites them in the ass.  He doesn't forget anything and uses it to his advantage. But haven't they all displayed that sort of behavior?

Yes, none of the characters are always shining lights. That's just a fact.

5 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

That thinking that it okay to Rape or Sexually Assault/Harass a Women just because she flirts wit you is what is wrong with our society and culture today.

I do not think this is what was intended. And there is some difference between harassment and sexual assault.

  • Like 2
  • Run to India 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The characters may do things in front of sheldon they don't want repeated but if sheldon was truly their friend he wouldn't repeat it to others

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bfm said:

 1. Why is Leonard supposed to tell Sheldon he lost his flash drive?!

2. They excluded him because they knew he might get them in trouble. Remember this is the guy who was arrested for his behavior in court and later also got them all in trouble with HR (in Leonard's case for no fault of his own but for Sheldon's twisted interpretation). Besides, that does not excuse his behavior in any way! And neither does Howard's opinion on it, whatever it is.

3. We had a long discussion about Howard harassing Penny about a month ago. 

4. While I'm not saying Benradette's behavior is great and ethical in any way, I cannot see how she is worse than Sheldon.

Just to mention, Howard slut-shaming Penny was always taken with a grain of salt. I don't think that Penny ever took him seriously except for the robot episode. But in Sheldon's case it always seemed he said those things in a insulting manner and with  malice to Penny.  A good friend would have stopped this a long time ago but here we are in season 11 and he is still doing it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Friday, December 01, 2017 at 1:27 PM, JE7 said:

The bitcoin did not belong to sheldon, he took something of value from its rightfull owners with the intent of depriving them of its use thats theft. If he intended to reveal its location when and if he was provided with something he wanted as ransom even if the ransom was an apology you can possible add a charge of blackmail, and a value of $5000.00 makes it a felony. 

If i took these facts to a judge i could get an arrest warrant with no problem

If we start looking at it that way, pretty much every main character should be in prison by now. And some recurring ones.

 

So, unless it is OK to apply real life legal definitions to just one character, for some reason, we can either admit that we are watching a bunch of criminals hanging out, or stop applying legal definitions in an attempt to prove a point. (And no, saying that what Sheldon did was wrong is not a legal definition and just a personal opinion, but "felony", "ransom" and "blackmail" are. Applying them in a discussion about a sitcom, while keeping in mind what other characters have done, seems at least questionable.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bfm said:

I agree they could have explore Penny much further. There are two episodes where she is portrayed as kinda stupid which are the pilot (in which Sheldon is supposedly a master masturbator) and for some reason "The Proton Resurgence". Otherwise she is seems to have average intellectual skills and is clever and witty. Why did she failed so miserably at school? And why did she started having all kinds of adventures with boys at preschool? Could it be that she was taught at home that her role in life should be to get boys? I can see that. Did she learn as a kid that school is not supposed to fit that role? Maybe. What does she think about all of this in retrospect?  I assume some may bring up the college failure in season 6 but I think she didn't acquire good enough learning habits so the question is more about high school. She did and does manage to learn about the drugs she sells. 

I think what you say has some truth in it.  But I also think that she married Leonard because he was good for her to learn as Stuart once put it "think more deeply about the world" Also, I think her father saw this in Leonard and kinda felt he would give her some stability in life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Just to mention, Howard slut-shaming Penny was always taken with a grain of salt. I don't think that Penny ever took him seriously except for the robot episode. But in Sheldon's case it always seemed he said those things in a insulting manner and with  malice to Penny.  A good friend would have stopped this a long time ago but here we are in season 11 and he is still doing it. 

As far as the insults go, it is quite apparent that Penny gives as good as she takes. You just mentioned the robot episode after all.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Penny was willing, at least in early seasons, to "slut-shame" the women that she herself doesn't like.

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

That why I think TBBT should o an Epsidoe where PEnny is Sexually Harassed by a Co-Worker who in the end get fired.  That may end all the S*ut Shaming" Jokes about Penny especially from Sheldon. IT would b a good teaching moment with the current reckoning going on. 

I think it's more Penny's character to fight her own battles than complain to higher ups. I imagine a scene where a guy at the office sees Penny for the first time and grins and nudges the guys he is with before moving towards her. Then we see him walking with difficulty and wincing when he sits down.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mislav said:

So, unless it is OK to apply real life legal definitions to just one character, for some reason, we can either admit that we are watching a bunch of criminals hanging out, or stop applying legal definitions in an attempt to prove a point. (And no, saying that what Sheldon did was wrong is not a legal definition and just a personal opinion, but "felony", "ransom" and "blackmail" are. Applying them in a discussion about a sitcom, while keeping in mind what other characters have done, seems at least questionable.)

If you don't wish to apply legal definitions, then feel free to not apply legal definitions.  Others are free to do that, so please don't tell other members how to post.  Refute their points, not how they post. If you feel the post violates our rules, then report it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I didn't want them to renew this last time.I wanted them to wrap it up and go out on top. So I totally get this.

He never intended to deprive them of it or he would have actually taken it himself, in spite of the fact that it was worthless at the time, and not put it on Leonard's flash drive. But yes, he was trying to prove a point.

YES! And he just knows how to play them.

Yes, none of the characters are always shining lights. That's just a fact.

I do not think this is what was intended. And there is some difference between harassment and sexual assault.

Yes, I know there a difference. 

19 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I think it's more Penny's character to fight her own battles than complain to higher ups. I imagine a scene where a guy at the office sees Penny for the first time and grins and nudges the guys he is with before moving towards her. Then we see him walking with difficulty and wincing when he sits down.

You might be right.  I only said PEnny because he leading female character 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, JE7 said:

The bitcoin did not belong to sheldon, he took something of value from its rightfull owners with the intent of depriving them of its use thats theft. If he intended to reveal its location when and if he was provided with something he wanted as ransom even if the ransom was an apology you can possible add a charge of blackmail, and a value of $5000.00 makes it a felony. 

If i took these facts to a judge i could get an arrest warrant with no problem

And if he met Sheldon he'd throw him in jail right then and there.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheldon did deprive Leonard and the guys of real money. I am not sure why this is even arguable. That was his intention. What he did was illegal. He is luckey his friends are not as self serving or as callous as he is. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mislav said:

As far as the insults go, it is quite apparent that Penny gives as good as she takes. You just mentioned the robot episode after all.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Penny was willing, at least in early seasons, to "slut-shame" the women that she herself doesn't like.

She not only shamed someone, she left them tied up in a corn field. False imprisonment, kidknaping and assault. Lucky no one died. Maybe she should do time for that. Maybe she did, and the records are sealed. Wait till season 12 when they make up something up about that out of desperation.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the past. Currently their is no excuse for the constant slut shaming of a now married woman. And I hope they drop it soon. Some how by distracting away from Sheldon's motives and actions. And by using terms like "Oh Penny was boastful, willing, and doesen't mind the attention". That some how diminishes Sheldon's behaviour because in contrast Penny is fine with it. Hmm Nah.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, vonmar said:

The Most Fascinating Part of The Big Bang Theory Is How Bad Everyone Is at Fake-Eating.

And fake-Driving.

The only one who actually looks like they're driving a real car, is Mayim.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

That is the past. Currently their is no excuse for the constant slut shaming of a now married woman. And I hope they drop it soon. Some how by distracting away from Sheldon's motives and actions. And by using terms like "Oh Penny was boastful, willing, and doesen't mind the attention". That some how diminishes Sheldon's behaviour because in contrast Penny is fine with it. Hmm Nah.

I wish Leonard would stand up to Sheldon about S*ut Shaming his Wie.  Most Men in Real life would not stand for that if a Friend was S*ut shaming their Girlfriend or Wives.  If Sheldon was a Real Friend he wouldn't be doing that. Howard and Raj don't 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

 

10 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I don't agree with a single word. What you said it's very unfair to Penny. Being flirtatious is not an invitation to men to assault you. End of the story.

Nothing is an invitation to assault ! It makes no sense and nobody here has suggested that. It's bad men who use 'consent' as a defence if they get reported. If they're lying it's assault, if they're telling the truth it's not. Women who do consent make life very difficult for the rest. If you don't know any of them you're very lucky and I'm happy for you.

5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I thought Penny was slutty, dumb and had a drinking problem. It didn't  bother me that they were running with that. I just did not like her at all at first.

It's the other side of Penny I came to like : 'the tart with a heart'. She's kind, tolerant, patient, loyal and full of commonsense that keeps the others on an even keel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

She not only shamed someone, she left them tied up in a corn field. False imprisonment, kidknaping and assault. Lucky no one died. Maybe she should do time for that. Maybe she did, and the records are sealed. Wait till season 12 when they make up something up about that out of desperation.

Well, since the show should not feature any harassment or rude comments, let alone something worse, as seems to be a prevailing opinion, that would be a good place to start. Even if we don't look at it from legal POV (which I tend not to do), that story still sounds pretty bad. Past is past, but some things can't be improved by passing of time alone.

 

After doing that, they can take care of comments about Penny's sex life (not that she helped her case either, given all the stories she brought up in front of Amy, Bernadette and Raj back in season six, while giving him advice about his first date with Lucy; among other examples). You get what you give, after all. 

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Sheldon did deprive Leonard and the guys of real money. I am not sure why this is even arguable. That was his intention. What he did was illegal. He is luckey his friends are not as self serving or as callous as he is. 

Bitcoin did not became legal in California until 2014/2015, so no Sheldon didn't deprive them of real money.  They even described it in the flashback as worthless fake money.  What he did was stupid and wrong, but not illegal.

  • Like 7
  • Run to India 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mislav said:

After doing that, they can take care of comments about Penny's sex life (not that she helped her case either, given all the stories she brought up in front of Amy, Bernadette and Raj back in season six, while giving him advice about his first date with Lucy; among other examples). You get what you give, after all. 

Yep, Penny has contributed to this perception just as much.

Which is why if you really want to get rid of this 'in the past she was highly promiscuous tag she was labelled with or perception' then the jokes have to be removed from EVERY character. You can't just tell one character to stop saying it but then have others including the character who is targeted with these demeaning jokes promoting them as well and keeping that perception alive.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

She not only shamed someone, she left them tied up in a corn field. False imprisonment, kidknaping and assault. Lucky no one died. Maybe she should do time for that. Maybe she did, and the records are sealed. Wait till season 12 when they make up something up about that out of desperation.

Interesting point.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonny said:

Yep, Penny has contributed to this perception just as much.

Which is why if you really want to get rid of this 'in the past she was highly promiscuous tag she was labelled with or perception' then the jokes have to be removed from EVERY character. You can't just tell one character to stop saying it but then have others including the character who is targeted with these demeaning jokes promoting them as well and keeping that perception alive.

How many jokes throughout the show could be considered demeaning? Wouldn't some people consider jokes about Leonard's childhood demeaning? Or about Sheldon's OCD? Raj's selective mutism (while he had it)? The bullying that Amy suffered during the childhood (as well as some other characters)? Stuart's depression? Is all that wrong too, is the show filled with awful jokes, and not just as of later seasons? Hasn't Penny made some of those jokes about the others too? Or are just comments about Penny's past demeaning? And if they are, are they the worst?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mislav said:

How many jokes throughout the show could be considered demeaning? Wouldn't some people consider jokes about Leonard's childhood demeaning? Or about Sheldon's OCD? Raj's selective mutism (while he had it)? The bullying that Amy suffered during the childhood (as well as some other characters)? Stuart's depression? Is all that wrong too, is the show filled with awful jokes, and not just as of later seasons? Hasn't Penny made some of those jokes about the others too? Or are just comments about Penny's past demeaning? And if they are, are they the worst?

It's subjective in terms of whether you find the long running gags demeaning or funny.

But almost each character has their long running gags that could be considered demeaning or self esteem damaging e.g. Penny was promiscuous, Howard is an Engineer and what status that is seen as compared to the rest, Leonard's childhood or stature, Sheldon is a baby having to sit on the step or require someone to tie his shoelaces, or using a child book on him, Amy's hairiness or dress style etc, Raj has the Indian jokes and the status of his love life. 

There are no saints on this show, they like to have snark and banter and sometimes they have all taken it too far.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are we victim blaming now? Are we shifting focus away from Sheldon now. To Penny needs to take responsiblity for her past behaviour? Far as I Can tell she has. Sheldon is the one who still think its relevant to slut sham a grown ass married woman.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.