[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, April said:

Part of the issue is that TBBT doesn't have many established m/f friendships. The only thing they've banked on continuously is Penny/Sheldon starting with being at odds and then morphing into this ersatz-sibling relationship that quite a lot of people find less entertaining from what I gather. Penny/Howard is probably tainted by the first seasons and him relentlessly hitting on her or maybe the writers just didn't know how else to write the two once that aspect was gone. Penny/Raj is tainted for many fans due to the S4 cliffhanger but at least the show got over it and had the two bond over ~girly stuff~ which again doesn't seem to be a particularly inspired story idea.

Amy/Leonard you'd think would make natural allies but they actually wrote the two being kinda annoyed/bored/uninterested spending time with the other. Amy/Howard had a great spark with the Scavenger but that never went anywhere. Amy/Raj actually had some good moments and she's been helping him with girlfriend trouble several times over the seasons so they're at least consistent here.

Bernie/Sheldon is a pretty rare constellation but their interactions have been rather sweet and funny every time. Bernie/Raj are probably one of the closest m/f friendships but that's also mostly because of the Howard/Bernie/Raj threesome situation not necessarily because the show made an effort to develop an independent relationship here. Bernie/Leonard was fun in Scavenger and it was nice that she seemed to have some interest in his work back in the day, but again, that never went anywhere.

So all in all the way the characters interact is pretty limited for some reason. Idk if Holland will change things up a bit. I sure wouldn't mind.

Thank you for your insight @April. I agree m/f friendships are clearly not a one of TBBT's strenghts... 

I think they missed with Leonard and Amy. They wrote her as uninterested to repelled by him, I don't understand why. Both are scientist who despite working in different fields have experiments as a central part of their job. There are basics to planning experiments that are relevant to very different disciplines. Both have strict mothers, although on different ways. Both were bullied in school and are considered unattractive (not my opinion just the show's messages) now - this also applies to the 3 other guys but Leonard and Amy kinda-sortaa bonded over that once (yearbook, I think it could be considered bonding for early Amy). I think they actually missed again this year. Sure Amy wasn't repelled by him anymore but now that they're neighbors and that Amy is learning to be Sheldon's main (for lack of a better word) caregiver they could become much better friends. 

• Like 2

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, bfm said:

Thank you for your insight @April. I agree m/f friendships are clearly not a one of TBBT's strenghts... 

I think they missed with Leonard and Amy. They wrote her as uninterested to repelled by him, I don't understand why. Both are scientist who despite working in different fields have experiments as a central part of their job. There are basics to planning experiments that are relevant to very different disciplines. Both have strict mothers, although on different ways. Both were bullied in school and are considered unattractive (not my opinion just the show's messages) now - this also applies to the 3 other guys but Leonard and Amy kinda-sortaa bonded over that once (yearbook, I think it could be considered bonding for early Amy). I think they actually missed again this year. Sure Amy wasn't repelled by him anymore but now that they're neighbors and that Amy is learning to be Sheldon's main (for lack of a better word) caregiver they could become much better friends. 

Yeah, it's weird that they had these bonding moments but those never went anywhere. Both Howard and Leonard found that spending time with Amy can be fun but then the writers never have them actually spend time together again...??? It's not even that the characters fall into some unforeseen animosity - those bonding moments are just never ever used as a base to actually create more stories with those characters together. Really a lot of missed opportunities here!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, bfm said:

I completely agree with this statement.

Leonard and Amy have a lot in common, in addition to 24 hour dealing with Sheldon.  A lot of the weird stuff Sheldon does to Amy - starting weird ass conversations in the middle of the night - is stuff he did to Leonard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bfm said:

They wrote her as uninterested to repelled by him, I don't understand why.

I think Sheldon explained it, in The Desperation Emancipation:-

Sheldon: Simple! You want a girlfriend, Amy wants to be someone’s girlfriend. Take her off my hands. I give you my blessing.

Leonard: That is insane.

Sheldon: You’re right. It would never work. Amy finds you tedious.

Also, believing that Leonard is attracted to her (although "Leonard just doesn’t get my motor running"), as recently as Season 7, she finds being alone with him to be "weird".

45 minutes ago, April said:

Both Howard and Leonard found that spending time with Amy can be fun but then the writers never have them actually spend time together again...???

As above, Amy thinks Leonard is physically attracted to her.

I wouldn't want to hang out with someone, on a one-to-one basis, who I wasn't physically attracted to, but who I believed was physically attracted to me.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

I feel the opposite.  Many might disagree, but some of my favorite funny moments in the show have been because of Sheldon and the girls. Sheldon/Penny/Amy dealing with the infested chair in 4B ? Sheldon/Penny/Amy tiara scene ? Sheldon going on girls' night and Amy helping him with Sheldon vs Priya war in Agreement Dissection? That was all very funny IMO. 

I'll second the love for Sheldon with the girls, particularly that time he gatecrashed their boozing times. That occasion's a standout to me because it is one of the very few times that Sheldon is the straight man, reacting to other people's craziness. More of that, please! By which I mean 'Sheldon as the straight man', though I do also enjoy Sheldon Cooper and his Council of Ladies.

14 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

Anyway, I do want more balance and want them to mix up dynamics.  Instead of only girls alone/boys alone episodes(I didn't like some mildly gendered episodes like Positive Negative or Locomotive Reverberation) I would love Howard with the girls..or Sheldon with the girls.  If done well, it would add some unpredictability from a situational comedy perspective. And may be one of the girls can hang out with the guys on their guys' night  ? a rare Howard/Amy/Leonard plot ? why not ?

Yeah, I think it's always a good and healthy sign if a show mixes up its character dynamics. It's a sign of confidence in the ensemble's chemistry.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I think Sheldon explained it, in The Desperation Emancipation:-

Sheldon: Simple! You want a girlfriend, Amy wants to be someone’s girlfriend. Take her off my hands. I give you my blessing.

Leonard: That is insane.

Sheldon: You’re right. It would never work. Amy finds you tedious.

Also, believing that Leonard is attracted to her (although "Leonard just doesn’t get my motor running"), as recently as Season 7, she finds being alone with him to be "weird".

As above, Amy thinks Leonard is physically attracted to her.

I wouldn't want to hang out with someone, on a one-to-one basis, who I wasn't physically attracted to, but who I believed was physically attracted to me.

I highly doubt she still thinks that.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2017 at 4:33 PM, Jonny said:

Such a great list @wowbagger, I agree with all of them! :)

Depends how they plan out the wedding (assuming it's going to happen this season) but I reckon we could see a lot more PAmyDette. I kind of wonder how much of a Bridezilla Amy might be and what crazy shit she might rope her friends into lol. I haven't forgotten some of the stuff she came up with when they were getting married LOL!

The more PAmyDette the better as far as i'm concerned, you can't go wrong with them.

Hee! I think I'd be weary of a 'traditionally' Bridezilla Amy? But man I would LOVE to see Penny and Bernie go to some sort of RenFayre mediaeval reenactment thing that Amy's been banging on about, and expect to hate it but get suuuuuuuper caught up in, like, a bowls or falconry tournament. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Leonard and Amy have a lot in common, in addition to 24 hour dealing with Sheldon.  A lot of the weird stuff Sheldon does to Amy - starting weird ass conversations in the middle of the night - is stuff he did to Leonard.

Are u saying Shamy is just basically Shelnard ? Sheldon is dating a female Leonard ? OMG lol.   I personally prefer when Amy and Leonard are different and their mutual irritation can be used for comedic effect, like Amy doing something to freak out Leonard. We already have Leonard and Penny bonding over dealing with Sheldon. I don't need more of the same "i'm put upon by Sheldon" dynamic. I prefer when Sheldon is their friend , not their collective responsibility. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

like Amy doing something to freak out Leonard.

Like announcing she wears "feminine hygiene" products all the time? :laugh: 

On 04/08/2017 at 4:33 PM, Jonny said:

I haven't forgotten some of the stuff she came up with when they were getting married LOL!

Maybe this time, they will actually get naked and wash each other, or go to a Native American sweat lodge, take peyote, roll around in the mud, and paint fertility symbols on Amy’s naked body.

:maninlove:

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Has there been anything to indicate she knows different?

I would expect a comment about it throughout the 5 years that had passed if that is still on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Has there been anything to indicate she knows different?

No, but conversely there's only been 1 line about it 5 years ago, so.....

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 1

Considering the shows nortorious lack of continuity. I wouldn't suggest that Amy still feels that way. After knowing Leonard for over 5 years now. Not enough factual evidence either way. I've always liked Lamy, for the comedic effect. All great comedy comes from conflict. I think we can all agree, the best non cannon/friendship pair is Shelnard. Although they have kinda grown apart the past few seasons. But yes I agree, I think fresh dynamics is needed in S11. I agree with Serenade my interest in the show has faded. So,I'll be here for the odd taping. But I don't see the show as a must watch anymore. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I notice there is very little talk on the spoiler free threads and yet there are not real spoilers still.

Those threads generally are always pretty inactive. I'm from NZ, so I like getting those spoilers. And this is the place to get them. I don't see the point in being spoiler free haha. At this point. But anyway,

I read that JG is in talks about appearing in the Rosanne reboot apparently he is the only one unsigned (why anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me) any thoughts on how this could effect TBBT?

Will we see Leonerd free episodes? What about the other alumni like Lori Metcalfe? Will we ever see mary cooper again?

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JE7 said:

I read that JG is in talks about appearing in the Rosanne reboot apparently he is the only one unsigned (why anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me) any thoughts on how this could effect TBBT?

Will we see Leonerd free episodes? What about the other alumni like Lori Metcalfe? Will we ever see mary cooper again?

Johnny can probably be on both shows without any problems because of the little screen time he has had on TBBT. Could Johnnys signing on to Roseanne be a sign that season 11 will not be any better than season 10 for Lenny ?

Edited by Lagernisse
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, JE7 said:

JG is "obliged" to be in all TBBT episodes, so  Leonard-free episodes are not happening. Probably he hasn't signed yet just because they are figuring out how to reconcile his TBBT duties with the new show. A far as I know this reboot (BTW, I agree with you this is terrible idea and I hate that this and most of the other reboots scheduled this season have decided to ignore their previous finales) has just 8 episodes at the moment, so maybe he will be able to schedule them according with TBBT hiatuses. We don't even know if David is scheduled to be a main character in all Roseanne's episodes or he has a cameo from time to time (which will allow Johnny to film both shows at the same time). As for LM, I guess if tptb want Mary Cooper in an episode, they will try to work around her schedule with Roseanne.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

Any details about JG currant contract are only speculation. His ability to miss episodes for other projects is a valid possibility considering this was in development before his current contract was finalized  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

JG is "obliged" to be in all TBBT episodes, so 100% Leonard-free episodes are not happening. Probably he hasn't signed yet just because they are figuring out how to reconcile his TBBT duties with the new show. A far as I know this reboot (BTW, I agree with you this is terrible idea and I hate that this and most of the other reboots scheduled this season have decided to ignore their previous finales) has just 8 episodes at the moment, so maybe he will be able to schedule them according with the hiatuses TBBT has from time to time. We don't even know if David is scheduled to be in all Roseanne's episodes or he has a cameo from time to time (which will allow Johnny to film both shows at the same time). As for LM, I guess if tptb want Mary Cooper in an episode, they will try to work around her schedule with Roseanne.

Have you read JG contract for season 11 and 12 ?

I know it is unlikely that he will miss episodes but there could be clauses for all kind of things. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

Have you read JG contract for season 11 and 12 ?

I know it is unlikely that he will miss episodes but there could be clauses for all kind of things. 

I can see it, it would save them a million each eoisode he missed and they dont write anything important to the story for him anyway.

This could well be part of why he seemed reluctant to resign

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Theirs a possibility of more Leonard free episodes lol.

3 hours ago, JE7 said:

I don't think it will be a problem one bit, Johnny is committed to this show for two more years as evidenced by his signed contract. He will probably try and find a way to do both, if he can't then presumably he may decide to drop his interest in the Roseanne reboot.

• Like 2

• Tensor pinned this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unpinned this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic