[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, djsurrey said:

No, I was saying I don't recall her ever saying her acting was good in that movie or that he was proud of the acting she did in that movie. I brought up the lines from season 10 because she was aware he had seen the movie by then an he still did not say he was proud of her great acting in the movie even though it would have been a great time to give her a lift. It just seems to add more credence to the notion that it was not her acting that he was proud of back when he shared the movie on the boat.

Again, why would he have to?  Why would he have to give her a lift,  since she wasn't even an actor at that point.  Why does a non-actor need a lift for her acting, if she isn't doing it?  Not to mention, again, that she was told she was good in the Ape Movie.  If she's been told she's great in a movie, by someone at a high level in the business, that would add more credence to the notion that he was proud of her acting.   Or, he simply could have been proud that she was in a movie, without considering her acting.    

I know quite a few people who have been in movies (or on television, or on Broadway), and a lot of people, who aren't in the business, think it's a big deal.  But, most of the people I know, who were in the movies (or other entertainment), don't think it's such a big deal, it's simply a job. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Are you saying he has to tell her how great she was, every time the movie comes up?   After all, he was aware of SA, from Penny, back in season 7.   Not to mention what happening two years prior in 8.2 (see below).

Didn't he know about SA from Season 1?  In The Hofstadter Insufficiency (7x1) Sheldon tells Penny that he knew about SA from the first day that they met.

"Penny: Okay, look, here’s something people do not know about me. When I first moved out to L.A., I did a topless scene in a low-budget horror movie about a killer gorilla. Ugh! After I did it, I felt so ashamed. Thankfully, that thing never came out.

Sheldon: I’ve seen that. Yeah. Serial Apeist. Howard found it online the day we met you.

Penny: Oh, God.

Sheldon: And it was literally the moment you walked out the door. "

I always assumed that all four of the guys were in the room when this happened and saw what Howard had found online.

• Like 2

Just now, vonmar said:

Didn't he know about SA from Season 1?  In The Hofstadter Insufficiency (7x1) Sheldon tells Penny that he knew about SA from the first day that they met.

Here's my original comment:

Since she didn’t tell him, he’s letting her think he doesn’t know. Of course, that is the exact same thing as trying to determine if Leonard and Mandy work together. 

"Penny: Okay, look, here’s something people do not know about me. When I first moved out to L.A., I did a topless scene in a low-budget horror movie about a killer gorilla. Ugh! After I did it, I felt so ashamed. Thankfully, that thing never came out.
Sheldon: I’ve seen that. Yeah. Serial Apeist. Howard found it online the day we met you.
Penny: Oh, God.
Sheldon: And it was literally the moment you walked out the door. "
I always assumed that all four of the guys were in the room when this happened and saw what Howard had found online.
I don't remember anyone talking about the movie in the opening episode so to me it's just the writers pulling something else out of their a**s

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Again, why would he have to?  Why would he have to give her a lift,  since she wasn't even an actor at that point.  Why does a non-actor need a lift for her acting, if she isn't doing it?

Leonard was trying to talk her into going in this case.

In earlier seasons she was often down about her acting.

17 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

It supports the idea that it was not great acting. It appears to support the idea that the fan boys and Leonard were all impressed by her hotness.

So, you believe the fanboys over the actual director, writer, producer and actor?  

So Kevin did not actually say her acting was great.  So it is not clear what he meant...

So, by saying she was great in the movie, he wasn't referring to her acting?  And wanting to cast her in another movie is because...she looked good standing around?  

but the follow up in 10.6 seems to make it clear that it was the fact Penny is hot that the guys reacted to.

I don't remember a Kevin Smith followup in 10.06.  If it's the fanboys, I don't see their opinion on acting as relevant.  

12 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I don't recall them indicating he was afraid of aeroplanes. He just loves trains.

He and Amy took an aeroplane, when they visited his mother for Christmas.

A train to Galveston takes less than double the time of a direct flight (and roughly the same as a journey using a connecting flight), and costs around half the price, so they could've easily taken a train, if Sheldon was afraid of aeroplanes.

But didn't Amy had to drug him to get him on the plane?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Not to mention, again, that she was told she was good in the Ape Movie.  If she's been told she's great in a movie, by someone at a high level in the business, that would add more credence to the notion that he was proud of her acting.

I gave my opinion on that already. So I'm going to let that go on we are not going to agree.

2 minutes ago, Tensor said:

So, you believe the fanboys over the actual director, writer, producer and actor?  

I don't follow. Keven was not involved in that production. The directer of SA 2 thought the film was crap, and did not care about Penny's performance.

Just now, djsurrey said:

Leonard was trying to talk her into going in this case.

Again, why is it necessary to tell her how good her acting is?  

Just now, djsurrey said:

In earlier seasons she was often down about her acting.

Which has what to do with her after being told she did a great job, after SAMSMK

3 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Again, why is it necessary to tell her how good her acting is?  

Necessary? It appears to have been in Leonard's character from the beginning of the series to try to build Penny up when he could.

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I don't follow. Keven was not involved in that production. The directer of SA 2 thought the film was crap, and did not care about Penny's performance.

He doesn't have to be involved in the production.  He saw the movie and thought she did a great job.  So, not caring about her performance means what?  After all, remember the director ended up being reduced to spinning a sign, for Verizon, on the side of the road.  Not sure I would trust his judgement.  

1 minute ago, djsurrey said:

Necessary? It appears to have been in Leonard's character from the beginning of the series to try to build Penny up when he could.

There are quite a few instances of his not trying to build her up, especially in the later years.  How do you decide when he should and shouldn't?  

1 minute ago, Tensor said:

He doesn't have to be involved in the production.  He saw the movie and thought she did a great job.  So, not caring about her performance means what?  After all, remember the director ended up being reduced to spinning a sign, for Verizon, on the side of the road.  Not sure I would trust his judgement.  

You said:

14 minutes ago, Tensor said:

When did we hear the opinion of the "actual director, writer, producer"?

In the end everyone that actually came for an autograph was impressed by her as being hot. No complements about good acting. These are the paying public with nothing to lose from giving a complement to her acting. Possibly Kevin wanted her in some production as eye candy and possibly he was just blowing smoke to have air time on the podcast. Who can say?

13 minutes ago, Tensor said:

After all, remember the director ended up being reduced to spinning a sign, for Verizon, on the side of the road.  Not sure I would trust his judgement.  

Who said anything about trusting his judgement?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

You said:

When did we hear the opinion of the "actual director, writer, producer"?

Sorry, typo, that should be "an actual director, writer, producer."   His opinion should carry more weight than those of the director of SAMSMK and fanboys 

In the end everyone that actually came for an autograph was impressed by her as being hot. No complements about good acting. These are the paying public with nothing to lose from giving a complement to her acting.

And maybe the guys that came up to her simply didn't care about her acting, they simply cared about seeing her nude.  So comments about her acting, either good or bad, would mean nothing, coming from them.

Possibly Kevin wanted her in some production as eye candy and possibly he was just blowing smoke to have air time on the podcast. Who can say?

Well, he had plenty of other women that could have been used as eye candy (see the audition) and since Penny went in for an audition, blowing smoke doesn't make sense.  I also find it kind of silly that Kevin Smith would need air time on Wheaton's podcast, since he has his own podcast.  

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Well, he had plenty of other women that could have been used as eye candy (see the audition) and since Penny went in for an audition, blowing smoke doesn't make sense

Oh, did she get the part? Is that the typical method to get an audition?

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

I also find it kind of silly that Kevin Smith would need air time on Wheaton's podcast, since he has his own podcast.  

Silly or not he phoned in. But why would it be silly for Kevin to get more exposure? 

_____edit

So I looked up 8.21 for a reminder on how the audition went.

Penny: I mean, the whole experience reminded me about how much I hated about that world. You, you know, the anxiety, the depression, the negativity. I don’t want to feel those things. I want to sell drugs to people who feel those things.

Amy: I can’t believe you got up and walked out of an audition for a big movie.

Penny: I did. I mean, I walked in, read for the part, then stunk up the place, but then I walked right out.

Seeing a reminder of why she might have needed a lift now and then.

Edited by djsurrey

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Oh, did she get the part? Is that the typical method to get an audition?

It's one method.  My daughter got her first lead, by the director calling her to ask her to audition after seeing her in another show.   I got my first paid job by getting a call from the operations director with another theatre, whom the director from a different theatre, called to let me know she wanted me to come and audition.    Hell, Lorre got  in touch Johnny when he and Prady were still writing the script, so I'm not sure why this surprises you.  

Silly or not he phoned in. But why would it be silly for Kevin to get more exposure?

So, what leads you believe that he called in with the ulterior motivation to get more exposure, rather than to simply tell Penny he thought she did a good job and her was interested in working with her, well, and it's being needed for the scenario to make sense.  

So I looked up 8.21 for a reminder on how the audition went.

Seeing a reminder of why she might have needed a lift now and then.

I fail to see what that has anything in 8.21 has to do with trying to give her a lift in 10.06.  Why would he need to give her a lift, about her acting,  almost two years after the audition, and almost two years after she gave up acting?  

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Hell, Lorre got  in touch Johnny when he and Prady were still writing the script, so I'm not sure why this surprises you.

Did they not just offer Johnny the role without requiring an audition?

In the other cases the phone call was likely private?

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

I fail to see what that has anything in 8.21 has to do with trying to give her a lift in 10.06.  Why would he need to give her a lift, about her acting,  almost two years after the audition, and almost two years after she gave up acting?  

Leonard could have brought it up at any time in the series. Your right it would have carried more weight earlier.

19 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Did they not just offer Johnny the role without requiring an audition?

Yes, they offered him Sheldon, but he was interested in Leonard, in either case, he still had to audition and be approved by the network.  But the point was a producer asked him, much like Kevin asked Penny to read for a part.

In the other cases the phone call was likely private?

What difference does that make?   I got a private call from one director for a part.  In another, I got a message from someone other than the director, by the person who was called by the director.  In another case, a director told me to come in for an audition, in front of 10-15 people, hardly private. 

Leonard could have brought it up at any time in the series. Your right it would have carried more weight earlier.

Well, you're the one saying he could have brought it up to give her a lift in 10.06.  I simply don't see why he would do that, at that point in the series.   She'd been out of acting for over a year, and wasn't going back in and doesn't need a lift for acting.  Now, I could see him trying to give her a lift about her sales job, when he found out he wasn't happy.    

6 minutes ago, Tensor said:

What difference does that make?   I got a private call from one director for a part.  In another, I got a message from someone other than the director, by the person who was called by the director.  In another case, a director told me to come in for an audition, in front of 10-15 people, hardly private. 

No live broadcast or podcast then.
Anyway we have gotten kind of far from the original discussion and it is all off topic.

9 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

No live broadcast or podcast then.

What does that have to do with anything.  Something is either private, or it isn't.  Or is there some sort of number of people before private/public matters.  

9 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Anyway we have gotten kind of far from the original discussion and it is all off topic.

Actually, while we are far from the original discussion, the discussion does relate to it.  These were all points raised in trying to understand various points brought up for or against the original post.  

Why is it Leonard's job to prop up Pennys self esteem? He's not her father. Why would Penny care about Leonard complimenting her about Serial Apist? She knew it was bad, Leonard knew it was bad, everyone did. This she is the same Leonard who essentially had the position that Pennys acting dream was a pipe dream in Season 7. Why would he then start lying to Penny, just to give her a lift. In what some silly B grade movie, that she was embarrassed to be part of. So I don't see in cannon why Leonard would lie to Penny. "Oh sweetheart it was an oscar winning performance". I can see him giving her a lift in her sales job. Because in any case I don't see how it would be relevant in 10.6 in which the audience who arrived for her comic con. Were a bunch of geeks living in their mums basement. I don't see how Leonard giving Penny an acting lift. At that point, Penny may find that fasceious. Oh honey you were so good. Pennys not stupid. And it would just be false hope.What would that achieve? She said been out of acting over two years now. It serves no purpose. The original conversation was Leonard bragging About Penny to his colleagues on the Boat Expedition. He's bragging he's got a hot girlfriend lol. So what. 

Edited by 3ku11

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

What does that have to do with anything.  Something is either private, or it isn't.  Or is there some sort of number of people before private/public matters.  

Actually, while we are far from the original discussion, the discussion does relate to it.  These were all points raised in trying to understand various points brought up for or against the original post.  

Well my assertion had been that Kevin had called in more for extra air time than to get Penny in the movie.This had only come up because you stated something along the lines of Penny being good in SA2. It may be more to the point that she was not on some short list which she realized when she got to the waiting room for the audition. It is not like Kevin Smith had to have her in this movie because she was so good in SA2. She was one of a multitude and by the time she got through the table read she just left and was feeling better about her actual job.

The thing is the real issue was did Leonard think she acted well in SA1. My assertion was that he would have told her if he thought she had because giving Penny praise and building her up was something he often did especially in the early seasons. It is inconceivable to me that Leonard would have not told her she was great in that movie if he thought she was. I would conclude then that when he was on the research boat in a half drunk party atmosphere and showed the movie to the crowd and pointed out she was his girlfriend it had more to do with him being smug with having a hot girlfriend than a girlfriend who happened to be great at acting. It seemed to me to have more to do with him than her. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Why is it Leonard's job to prop up Pennys self esteem?

The short answer could be ask Leonard. He really tried to help her with her self esteem from 1.01.

18 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

She knew it was bad, Leonard knew it was bad, everyone did. This she is the same Leonard's who essentially had the position that Pennys acting dream was a pipe dream in Season 7. Why would he then start lying to Penny, just to give her a lift. In what some silly B grade movie, that she was embarrassed to be part of. So I don't see in cannon why Leonard would lie to Penny. "Oh sweetheart it was an oscar winning performance".

That was my point. He was not proud of her performance in SA1. As you said before he was proud he had a hot girlfriend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

The short answer could be ask Leonard. He really tried to help her with her self esteem from 1.01.

Yep, and also the other way around. Leonard with scientific emphasis and Penny with her street smart know-how. :shy:

19 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

I think you're right. This also shows the coarsening of the writing since the makers decided to foreground Shamy. When Leonard at sea was current there was a subtler example of L letting Penny down: P told Sheldon how embarrassed she was about Serial Apist, then we saw L boastfully showing SA to his shipmates. Obviously not a deal-breaker, but an indication that L wasn't always the intelligent or sensitive one, and still had something to learn about loving someone. The North Sea Snog was crude by comparison.

It's as though the abandonment of artistic integrity required to convert Shamy from a joke relationship to the romantic couple has also affected the writing of the other characters.

I disagree. I think the "North Sea Snog" was invented retroactively to create tension in the season 8 finale.

With regard to the SA1 movie reveled in 7.01 it seemed to be part of the Charlie Brown Syndrome that seems to be attached to Leonard. Everything was really great in 6.24 so it just meant something bad was about to happen. The summer after 6.24 was my first season in the forum and I recall feeling a lot of angst about what might happen next. As a sitcom this tends to subverts peoples expectations. It also has the whole reversing roles narratives. I don't think this is "abandonment of artistic integrity"; it is just the artistic choice the writers room made. 

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

The original conversation was Leonard bragging About Penny to his colleagues on the Boat Expedition. He's bragging he's got a hot girlfriend lol. So what. 

This also relates to the points I just responded to.

20 hours ago, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

I keep wondering if Penny and Amy will be pregnant together.

Me too. Imagine them both giving birth at the same time in the same delivery suite at the hospital. I can picture chaos ensuing with two men in scrubs and facemasks, both called 'Doctor' being shoved by mistake into delivery rooms and fainting (or not ) on the floor. 

If it's not the hospital but a taxi, Raj will be there and do a great job.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic