[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

16 minutes ago, bfm said:

The emphasis on "The" was to show that @3ku11 was refering to the characters, not men in general. Your reaction to his post was as if he were refering to men in general.

I got it, thanks. My reaction was that for everything I read from that conversation and also for not be the first time I heard here immaturity is too cute. My apologies if I offended someone but I just shared my pov. Nobody has to agree with me, course. 

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JE7 said:

Sheldon would live alone and work from home IF he hadn't been fired for his racist misogynist and just plain rude treatment of his co-workers.

Actually, academia is very forgiving.

When I was in graduate school in Canada the engineering department newspaper was full of racist, sexist and vulgar 'humor'.   Stuff like that was pretty common on campus even among faculty, on the campus of a major university.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bfm said:

The emphasis on "The" was to show that @3ku11 was refering to the characters, not men in general. Your reaction to his post was as if he were refering to men in general.

Yes. This is an example of where correct use and comprehension of language is important. I'm a bit Sheldonesque myself when it comes to English. Although internet posts are not essays or business letters, and nobody is going to give us points for perfect grammar, sometimes words do have to be written properly and be read with understanding.

I learned as soon as I joined the internet that not every rule of written language has to be followed in a fans' forum or on a mailing list so long as the meaning gets across. In those days it cost money to write messages on the internet or a mobile phone so the shorter the better. Moreover, people from all over the world were using the internet, plying their second or third language. I found the American language difficult myself, despite growing up with Nancy Drew and Superman, and sometimes I still do. A guy to me is something that's burned on a bonfire, or a rope that holds up a tent. And as for pants, well, that's another post. ( It took me six months to learn what a poster was BTW.)

However, something such as the use or non-use of the definite article, especially with plurals, makes a great difference to the meaning of the following noun so it's one of those things that needs to be taken notice of. Like Shamy, I don't like split infinitives or the ending of sentences with a preposition but it doesn't matter on the net if it makes points easier to write or understand. Sometimes commas or apostrophes matter seriously too. They're not always trivial things.

There's an old joke about two nuns. They're driving along and a devil jumps onto the bonnet of the car. 'What shall we do, Sister ?' asks the one who's driving.

'Show him your cross,' replies the passenger.

The first  sister stops the car and gets out, wagging her finger at the devil. 'You're a very very naughty devil ! Go away at once !' she shouts angrily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, spidergirl said:

I got it, thanks. My reaction was that for everything I read from that conversation and also for not be the first time I heard here immaturity is too cute. My apologies if I offended someone but I just shared my pov. Nobody has to agree with me, course. 

For the record I was not stating an opinion. I read your reaction to skull's post the same way JE read it, which made it explain skull's intentions putting an emphasis on "The", so I kind of clarified JE's clarification as I thought there might be miscommunication between you two. 

I do not find immaturity cute either, although it could be funny in a comedy IMO when it doesn't cross the line for me and the character is shown to be in the wrong/not so right (take Howard's explanation of not planning a party for Halley for example, or Bernadette's "telling" the other two they cannot be Cinderella). As for the ocassion discussed you can see by my prior post that I did not like it. I also think it is harder for Leonard (as a character to be put under scrutiny) to get away with misbehavior because he is usually the straight man, the writer's approximate. So when he misbehaves, especially when it's not too clear that he's in the wrong or when his actions are not shown as less wrong than we percieve them to be by real life criteria, it is harder to excuse or easier to criticise. 

53 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Yes. This is an example of where correct use and comprehension of language is important. I'm a bit Sheldonesque myself when it comes to English. Although internet posts are not essays or business letters, and nobody is going to give us points for perfect grammar, sometimes words do have to be written properly and be read with understanding.

I learned as soon as I joined the internet that not every rule of written language has to be followed in a fans' forum or on a mailing list so long as the meaning gets across. In those days it cost money to write messages on the internet or a mobile phone so the shorter the better. Moreover, people from all over the world were using the internet, plying their second or third language. I found the American language difficult myself, despite growing up with Nancy Drew and Superman, and sometimes I still do. A guy to me is something that's burned on a bonfire, or a rope that holds up a tent. And as for pants, well, that's another post. ( It took me six months to learn what a poster was BTW.)

However, something such as the use or non-use of the definite article, especially with plurals, makes a great difference to the meaning of the following noun so it's one of those things that needs to be taken notice of. Like Shamy, I don't like split infinitives or the ending of sentences with a preposition but it doesn't matter on the net if it makes points easier to write or understand. Sometimes commas or apostrophes matter seriously too. They're not always trivial things.

There's an old joke about two nuns. They're driving along and a devil jumps onto the bonnet of the car. 'What shall we do, Sister ?' asks the one who's driving.

The first  sister stops the car and gets out, wagging her finger at the devil. 'You're a very very naughty devil ! Go away at once !' she shouts angrily.

Well I'm not American nor English (which you have probably noticed, being as attentive to language usage as you are :) ) but we all do our best and as it is an interactive interface we can always clarify ourselves and also learn from our miscommunications.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, bfm said:

For the record I was not stating an opinion. I read your reaction to skull's post the same way JE read it, which made it explain skull's intentions putting an emphasis on "The", so I kind of clarified JE's clarification as I thought there might be miscommunication between you two. 

For the record too , I got you were not stating an opinion. I explained why my reaction and although I am wrong as you all stated, it was what I understood after reading all posts from the "Leonard bragging or not about Penny" talk. I think I did not offended anyone. Am I wrong about something here? It is not new, and it is not a big deal either. Is it need apologies for I was wrong about something? My apologies then.

Do you know what I am sure at this moment? I really regretted  to express my opinion this morning. Forget please everything what I said and carry on.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spidergirl said:

For the record too , I got you were not stating an opinion. I explained why my reaction and although I am wrong as you all stated, it was what I understood after reading all posts from the "Leonard bragging or not about Penny" talk. I think I did not offended anyone. Am I wrong about something here? It is not new, and it is not a big deal either. Is it need apologies for I was wrong about something? My apologies then.

Do you know what I am sure at this moment? I really regretted  to express my opinion this morning. Forget please everything what I said and carry on.

I didn't say you were wrong or anything, I just thought you might have partly misunderstood something from the orginal post, so actually I was wrong. The post you just quoted was meant to explain my misperception. You have every right to express your opinion and as I said it is not entirely different than mine (not that it matters anyway).

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Just saying...not for all of us English is the native language, we try our best, but probably we'll never be 100% correct all the times. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Just saying...not for all of us English is the native language, we try our best, but probably we'll never be 100% correct all the times. 

If 100% were the yardstick to fail, English would never have reached the status of a world language and we should all go back to kindergarten. :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bfm said:

Well I'm not American nor English (which you have probably noticed, being as attentive to language usage as you are :) ) but we all do our best and as it is an interactive interface we can always clarify ourselves and also learn from our miscommunications.

I am very impressed indeed by how well non-native speakers of English express themselves on here.  I admire the efforts to which they go. Were I asked to do so in French or Welsh I would never be so brave. Yes, this sort of place is very good for learning. I find I understand more of what's said when I see early episodes of BBT.

2 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Native speakers are not usually 100% correct anyway. One of the ways we can tell a person is a foreigner is that their English is better than ours. :)

2 hours ago, veejay said:

If 100% were the yardstick to fail, English would never have reached the status of a world language and we should all go back to kindergarten. :shy:

You're right !

The term we use in England, with the exception of some independent and private schools, is 'Nursery School', BTW. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I am very impressed indeed by how well non-native speakers of English express themselves on here.  I admire the efforts to which they go. Were I asked to do so in French or Welsh I would never be so brave. Yes, this sort of place is very good for learning. I find I understand more of what's said when I see early episodes of BBT.

That applies to me definitively.   :shy:

49 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

The term we use in England, with the exception of some independent and private schools, is 'Nursery School', BTW. :)

My little translation assistant has an interesting discussion about this case.
Have fun.   :icon_biggrin:      Dictionary

• Haha 1

These characters are not meant to be perfect. I saw no problem with Leonard being a loof could we say. I actually enjoyed it. Because he is so isolated and stifled at home all the time. I guess I Watch shows like American Dad and Family guy lol. So i am kinda desensitized to alot of that stuff. So I don't expect because hee is the straight man of the series. To act like a saint. "Guys that is my hot girlfriend in the shower, but please show some respect she is not an object". I just coulden't see something like that happening. Leoanrd was clearly trying to impress his peers. So we have a contrast where he is misbehaving. Is that really the end of the world lol? I mean heck if I was Leonard I Would of done the same thing. Surrounded by my peers in a ship in the middle of the sea. I am pretty confident Penny would of found it funny. 

But this conversation has kinda hit a dead end. Moving on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

These characters are not meant to be perfect. I saw no problem with Leonard being a loof could we say. I actually enjoyed it. Because he is so isolated and stifled at home all the time. I guess I Watch shows like American Dad and Family guy lol. So i am kinda desensitized to alot of that stuff. So I don't expect because hee is the straight man of the series. To act like a saint. "Guys that is my hot girlfriend in the shower, but please show some respect she is not an object". I just coulden't see something like that happening. Leoanrd was clearly trying to impress his peers. So we have a contrast where he is misbehaving. Is that really the end of the world lol? I mean heck if I was Leonard I Would of done the same thing. Surrounded by my peers in a ship in the middle of the sea. I am pretty confident Penny would of found it funny. 

But this conversation has kinda hit a dead end. Moving on. 

Let’s next examine when Leonard guilted Penny into lots of no doubt enjoyable sex in traditionally inappropriate geographical locations. Then she set his mum on him. I’m not sure whether he set up a “permission structure” (jargon alert) that enabled Penny to do what she really wanted to do anyway (see the Mike blog) or was exploiting her. He  then broke an intimate trust by bragging about it to demonstrate his power to himself and his male friends. 

AND am also not sure (but am inclined to believe) that her retaliation and consequent trust breaking was disproportionate and, knowing what she knew about his psychological damage (it was documented in a fracking book), was even purposefully sadistic.

This show gets callous sometimes for the laughs. Lucky it’s fiction.

My favourite line from the episode “You always go left!” The look from Penny/Ms Cuoco...

Edit: WRT the “Ape” movie. Screen culture is one of the arts. Nudes have been art since year dot. The piece wasn’t a stolen private item. That’s all I have to say about that.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Went “ape” and spaced out a bit.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

AND am also not sure (but am inclined to believe) that her retaliation and consequent trust breaking was disproportionate and, knowing what she knew about his psychological damage (it was documented in a fracking book), was even purposefully sadistic.

English is a funny language!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ndp-public-inquiry-fracking-1.4389710 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2017 at 4:23 PM, djsurrey said:

Remember we are six years into the series before this comes up. As I said it is inconceivable to me that it would not come up in all the discussions  Leonard and Penny had about acting unless he thought she had reason be embarrassed. Add the fact that she was in fact embarrassed about it and it looks like strong evidence to me she did not have a performance in that movie to be proud of.

Just to throw this out there, in the season 10 episode 6 "Fetal Kick Catalyst" while at the comic-con where Penny signed autographs, didn't a fanboy show them both a picture of her topless from his phone and didn't Leonard seem embarrassed for her and wanted to deck the guy? I know the instance on the boat was him boasting about a hot girlfriend and the one at the convention was as a husband but I think this does show he had sympathy toward her embarrassment in the movie.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, veejay said:

That applies to me definitively.   :shy:

My little translation assistant has an interesting discussion about this case.
Have fun.   :icon_biggrin:      Dictionary

Interesting. That seems to be mostly about North American schools.

When I was a school governor I was on the boards of three nurseries. I enjoyed that very much.  In England and Wales, education is compulsory from the term after which the fifth birthday falls. It's usual, however, for a child to start 'big' school at four. This class in the Infant ( Ages 4 - 7 ) School is not called kindergarten but 'Reception'.  Year One begins with the five-year olds. 

( Pre-school is not a place but an adjective pertaining to that age group, We might have a pre-school playgroup, a pre-school holiday club, a pre-school book section etc. )

In towns where a Local Education Authority provides nursery schools or nursery departments, children are not usually admitted under the age of three. Admission policy varies. Children leave the nursery at four or five to go to the Infants. The overlap between the leaving age for the Nursery and the entry age for Reception depends on the policy of the schools, the policy of the local council, advice from the home-school liaison teacher, and parental wishes. Attendance before Year One is often part- time, at least at first. 

The sort of places where Halley goes are called  Day Nurseries. Their main function is childcare to allow both parents to work, rather than education. They can be open for a whole working day.

Edited by joyceraye
Typo

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Interesting. That seems to be mostly about North American schools.

When I was a school governor I was on the boards of three nurseries. I enjoyed that very much.  In England and Wales, education is compulsory from the term after which the fifth birthday falls. It's usual, however, for a child to start 'big' school at four. This class in the Infant ( Ages 4 - 7 ) School is not called kindergarten but 'Reception'.  Year One begins with the five-year olds. 

( Pre-school is not a place but an adjective pertaining to that age group, We might have a pre-school playgroup, a pre-school holiday club, a pre-school book section etc. )

In towns where a Local Education Authority provides nursery schools or nursery departments, children are not usually admitted under the age of three. Admission policy varies. Children leave the nursery at four or five to go to the Infants. The overlap between the leaving age for the Nursery and the entry age for Reception depends on the policy of the schools, the policy of the local council, advice from the home-school liaison teacher, and parental wishes. Attendance before Year One is often part- time, at least at first. 

The sort of places where Halley goes are called  Day Nurseries. Their main function is childcare to allow both parents to work, rather than education. They can be open for a whole woriking day.

I worked at a mid-sized university in middle America that had a child care center on it's property.  My children attended until they were old enough to enter the public school system.  Caltech has such a place..."The Children's Center at Caltech"...which takes children aged 6 months up to 5 years old.  I have assumed that Halley would be attending there.

Many child care centers such as these are very focused on early childhood development and stimulation.  They are also often used for training and observation by the university's students who are studying early childhood education.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, it is. Like the "I before E except after C unless sounded like A" rule... which I find WEIRD.

Pardon me while I go polish my Polish furniture.

From The Re-Entry Minimization....lol  (one of my favorite episodes)

Penny: All right, that’s enough. (Draws)

Amy: Uh, hand. Uh, nail, polish?

Penny: Yep!

Sheldon: Wait, no, no. No. The word is Polish. See, look. Polish sausage. And the, the model of the solar system developed by Nicolaus Copernicus, a Polish astronomer. And then, finally, if that wasn’t enough, which it should have been, this is Madame Curie killing herself by discovering radium, who, although she was a naturalized French citizen, was Polish by birth.

Penny: Excuse me, the word is polish. See? Small P.

Sheldon: Ah. So it is. I guess we both share blame on this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, it is. Like the "I before E except after C unless sounded like A" rule... which I find WEIRD.

Pardon me while I go polish my Polish furniture.

These ancient rules are not exact science!

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_words_not_following_the_I_before_E_except_after_C_rule

and for fun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_E_except_after_C

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Oh ok, so that makes all difference the "the". Whatever...

For the comedy's sake is a question very dubious. Because some bad behaviors from some characters are for we laugh.  From others is almost a crime. Right...

I mostly understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree with you. The reason the "the" makes a difference is because it means it's referring to just the TBBT guys and not all men. I don't consider them examples at all. Each of them has things I like and dislike, and in my case , at least, I fell in love with Lenny. That doesn't mean that I approve of everything Leonard has ever done, or for that matter Penny either. I agree with the poster who said that some behaviors are exaggerated for comedic purpose, and in that regard the only thing that really matters is if you find it funny or not. IRL the story of ALL of them (TBBT characters) would have been completely different, IMO.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I mostly understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree with you. The reason the "the" makes a difference is because it means it's referring to just the TBBT guys and not all men. I don't consider them examples at all. Each of them has things I like and dislike, and in my case , at least, I fell in love with Lenny. That doesn't mean that I approve of everything Leonard has ever done, or for that matter Penny either. I agree with the poster who said that some behaviors are exaggerated for comedic purpose, and in that regard the only thing that really matters is if you find it funny or not. IRL the story of ALL of them (TBBT characters) would have been completely different, IMO.

That is what I meant. All the TBBT guys have their flaws, and are immature. It is what made them endering earlier on in the seires. Apparently not so anymore. Have no idea where people are getting "All Men" from. Like you said they do exagerrate things for comedy. I just don't take these characters at face value. IT was just my opinion I had no problem with Leonard showing off his hot girlfriend to a group of his peers, while he was drunk, in the middle of no where. He was having fun, I Thought it was harmless. IT is not like Penny was aware of it. Like I said I watch shows like Family Guy. And trust me the characters do alot worse. So in a life action form. Nothing really fazes me or bothers me. Their is less scrutiny when it comes to Leonard. Because they do portray him as the straight man. But I Think the original train of thought around here. Was what was cannon in regards to Leonard giving Penny an acting career lift. My position was he was always honest about acting. And as her husband has never disparaged her attempt at having a career. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

That is what I meant. All the TBBT guys have their flaws, and are immature. It is what made them endering earlier on in the seires. Apparently not so anymore. Have no idea where people are getting "All Men" from. Like you said they do exagerrate things for comedy. I just don't take these characters at face value. IT was just my opinion I had no problem with Leonard showing off his hot girlfriend to a group of his peers, while he was drunk, in the middle of no where. He was having fun, I Thought it was harmless. IT is not like Penny was aware of it. Like I said I watch shows like Family Guy. And trust me the characters do alot worse. So in a life action form. Nothing really fazes me or bothers me. Their is less scrutiny when it comes to Leonard. Because they do portray him as the straight man. But I Think the original train of thought around here. Was what was cannon in regards to Leonard giving Penny an acting career lift. My position was he was always honest about acting. And as her husband has never disparaged her attempt at having a career. 

It was art. So it’s out there. The audience reacts as they do. That’s art’s purpose, isn’t it? 

( that’s all I’ve got on that - can we talk about the mutual betrayals in the al fresco sex affair instead? I’ve got real problems with that.) :) 

• Haha 3

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic