[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Well about that I can say I know adults whose handwriting looks like from a five year old so for me it is an ordinary fact as any other. :)

it iS wRiTing liKE tHis I DonT LiKe. Handwriting doesn't bother me so long as it's clear. 

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people here know of my medical problems.   For those who don't, I have trouble, at times, walking any kind of distance, say a block or two, without the aid of a cane.  Around the house

Hello guys,   I am so sorry, I promised a taping report but it was a crazy week and I didn't have time to write one. Here is what happened(I don't know if you already get any other repo

Hey guys! I’m sure somebody will give you a full TR so just wanted to share my overall impressions and BTS I thought the episode was just perfect and for those of you who don’t like Shamy - I fel

Posted Images

Yes, some of those phobias were just defensive walls or indulgences to see how far others would go to accommodate him.
Yes, some things click and some things don't.  Depending on the situation.  Amy has yet to have to hold up a "sarcasm" sign, but she, like Leonard and Penny before her, serves as Sheldon's translator to the Real World.  His "I know when I'm not wanted," followed by her quiet, "No, I don't think you do.." was classic Sheldon/P,L,A.
Surprisingly, I actually like "Young Sheldon" because I love Annie Potts and Zoe Perry.   I don't really think of it as being related to TBBT
How is phobia a defensive wall?

We all have things that frighten us or make us uneasy. we
sometimes try to avoid things that make us uncomfortable, we generally manage to control our fears and carry on with daily activities. Some people have very strong irrational, involuntary
fear that lead them to avoid everyday situations, or things even though they know there isn’t any danger. The fear doesn’t make any sense to the observer, but it seems nothing can stop the panic when confronted with the feared situation from the sufferer. In their mind, It could lead to a panic attack, the spontaneous onset of fear that make them feel as if they might stop breathing and pass out, or having a heart attack, the fear of losing control and dying is an out of control fears and is a phobia. Sheldon has portrayed a lot of these symptoms during the years and is not something that you can get rid of so quickly. The fears need to be confronted and not just gotten over suddenly without help because Sheldon is in love. That's just lazy writing and making excuses. Therapy can also help overcome these fears and gradually start living a normal life. sheldon seems to be comfortable with his phobia when it suits him. So like I said. Unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I have Phobias and they are not defensive walls. They are responsives to anxiety. 

Sheldon has had alot of phobias and symptoms over the years. I remember in Season one Penny came back from Nebraska. And he was worried he would get her germs LOL. I mean it has clearly been part of his life for a long time. But recently he is putting trains in his mouth. And he seems to be touching alot more now. It just seems he got over his anxieites and phobias over night. TBH even since 7.24. IT seems it has been okay he has Amy now, he is just a normal human being now. He is not normal damn it! LOL. He is Abnormal. I just feel they changed Sheldon rapidly, to suit storyline. So yes it is lazy writing. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

sometimes try to avoid things that make us uncomfortable, we generally manage to control our fears and carry on with daily activities. Some people have very strong irrational, involuntary
fear that lead them to avoid everyday situations, or things even though they know there isn’t any danger. The fear doesn’t make any sense to the observer, but it seems nothing can stop the panic when confronted with the feared situation from the sufferer. In their mind, It could lead to a panic attack, the spontaneous onset of fear that make them feel as if they might stop breathing and pass out, or having a heart attack, the fear of losing control and dying is an out of control fears and is a phobia. Sheldon has portrayed a lot of these symptoms during the years and is not something that you can get rid of so quickly. The fears need to be confronted and not just gotten over suddenly without help because Sheldon is in love. That's just lazy writing and making excuses. Therapy can also help overcome these fears and gradually start living a normal life. sheldon seems to be comfortable with his phobia when it suits him. So like I said. Unrealistic.

What you're saying about phobias is mostly true (e.g., they are characterised by intense fear when encountred with the feared object/situation and by attempts to avoid that object/situation or facing it with great fear), only that worriying one might get a panic attack or go crazy due to the anxiety is not warranted for the diagnosis of specific phobia. It is more characteristic of generalized anxiety disorder (nevertheless it could appear in phobic people who do not meet criteria for GAD).

49 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

It was a reference to things that seemed to be phobias, but seemed not to actually fall into that category.  

Yes, I have had friends who dealt with them successfully - and unsuccessfully - with therapy.  

20 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I have Phobias and they are not defensive walls. They are responsives to anxiety. 

Sheldon has had alot of phobias and symptoms over the years. I remember in Season one Penny came back from Nebraska. And he was worried he would get her germs LOL. I mean it has clearly been part of his life for a long time. But recently he is putting trains in his mouth. And he seems to be touching alot more now. It just seems he got over his anxieites and phobias over night. TBH even since 7.24. IT seems it has been okay he has Amy now, he is just a normal human being now. He is not normal damn it! LOL. He is Abnormal. I just feel they changed Sheldon rapidly, to suit storyline. So yes it is lazy writing. 

Yes, I've had friends with some serious phobias.  

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 1

What you're saying about phobias is mostly true (e.g., they are characterised by intense fear when encountred with the feared object/situation and by attempts to avoid that object/situation or facing it with great fear), only that worriying one might get a panic attack or go crazy due to the anxiety is not warranted for the diagnosis of specific phobia. It is more characteristic of generalized anxiety disorder (nevertheless it could appear in phobic people who do not meet criteria for GAD).
Not an expert on the subject. But talking from what I have observed on the show and real life Hey tbbt seem to go with situations that cannot be reasonably explained, but done for the comical effect.

Yes, I've had friends with some serious phobias.  
Yes so true. It doesnt work for everyone. But just wanted to put my point out there.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I wasn't talking about maths ! I was referring to the mixing of cases within words.

Sorry. I was not sure as I'd really never noticed issues with cases within words which is the reason I was hoping for an example.

• Thanks 1

I'm not at all against Sheldon developing. Most of all I think the show has gone for too long so what we see now is perhaps at times too toned down. I also agree there are things about his development that are somewhat odd, the phase has been too fast at some parts and some things just disappeared, sometimes to reappear with no reason. I agree with @3ku11 though that some of the lost edge however is not due to development but due to a decline in the writing of the show.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 6

Throwing Cannon out the window for the sake of storyline is my major issue. So no I am not againgst character development. More the significant decline in the writing of the show. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Am I really the only one who noticed that Sheldon used to write ordinary words that would have got a five-year-old kept in at playtime ?

Don't know but I work in a physics department and really the only things I recall seeing Sheldon's boards that surprised me was the train and Charlie Brown.

• Like 2

Throwing Cannon out the window for the sake of storyline is my major issue. So no I am not againgst character development. More the significant decline in the writing of the show. 
When you have a successful show, why bother with canon  or the writing. It easy peasy. Look at  Nokia, they were the most successful mobile company out there back in the days. They thought they were untouchable and neglected technology until Apple moved in. They never recovered. The point is tptb will milk it until it is dry. I guess the old saying works here. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

What's the Canon change? That Sheldon wasn't interested in being with someone and now here he is engaged to be married? That can change, especially if you meet the right person.

It's not that unheard of of people being single all their lives, its also not unheard of people being single for a great length of time but then meeting the right person and then entering into a relationship and in some cases for the very first time.

If you meet 'the one' of course it can change and make you feel differently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Sheldon has had alot of phobias and symptoms over the years. I remember in Season one Penny came back from Nebraska. And he was worried he would get her germs LOL. I mean it has clearly been part of his life for a long time. But recently he is putting trains in his mouth. And he seems to be touching alot more now. It just seems he got over his anxieites and phobias over night.

Well he lost his old barber for one and he has kissed a girl and he liked it so....  ...not to mention his gift to Amy in 2015.

Which reminds me of the famous words....

And if he falls in love tonight It can be assumed His carefree days with us are history In short, our pal is doomed

Edited by djsurrey
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

So I guess falling in love automatically makes you lose all your anxieties and phobias just like that. It can be justified here for sheldon. Right...

I would actually give more credit to Penny.  She was pushing his boundaries from about episode 3.

• Like 2

Yeah but Sheldon doesen't consider Penny's opinion worthy of anything lol. Constantly demeans her lack of intelligence and education. 

i think Leonard was really the one who had the biggest impact on Sheldon. That said though I Still maintain my position. I Think alot of throwing cannon out the window in regards to Sheldon's Character Development. Was Lazy writing. But that is just my perspective. 

Boy going to be a long time in here before the next episode LOL. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Raj and Howard are still 'estranged' (hence why Bert is in Footprints) then the writers need to do a better job selling it to me and there needs to be some kind of payoff. So far I can't buy into this storyline.

Edited by Jonny

3 hours ago, Tensor said:

“The Solo Oscillation” – When Sheldon kicks Amy out to work solo, she and Leonard bond during a series of science experiments. Also, Bert the geologist replaces Wolowitz in the band Footprints on the Moon, and Sheldon finds Penny a surprising source of scientific inspiration, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 11 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Laurie Metcalf returns as Sheldon’s mother, Mary.

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=49232

Sounds like a lame attempt to shake up the pairings getting screentime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic