[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

2 hours ago, bfm said:

I guess I'm not an "Amyac" but I do not share ypur feelings towards Amy. She did get Penny to express her feelings about Priya and then Alex. Penny usually represses her feelings, she burries them deep inside and the result is oftem confusion about them and about her wishes and sometimes actions she regrets. While Amy's reactions to these confession weren't great she did have her admit these feelings and talk about them. There are probably some other examples of her helping Penny, like the charity idea. I wouldn't say she is "friend of the year" but she is not that awful, especially now that she is far more socialized and sociable. Penny is no saint either, she definitely helped Amy a lot but she did say this and that about her.

I'm sorry, the only person Amy has shown any interest in helping is Shelly-boy. From what I've seen, she has tried to take advantage of any sad situation Penny or Bernadette was in. Lets see putting electrodes on Penny's head when she was crying over Leonard's relationship with Pryia, pitting Bernadette against Penny over that new job , we already discussed the picture taking attempts and then there was her tricking her to take tests to compete against monkeys.$5.00 for the experiment Then offering  That sounds like a lousey friend if you ask me. Don't get me started with Shelly games he plays on the guys or the way he disses them.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Amy wanted to be a maid of honor, which is what she ended up being. I don't see how the wedding was about her otherwise. Bernadette had a main say in all the other arrangements, only those plans had to be changed quickly because Howard was going to space.
Personally I thought it was amy playing the victim that got her the moh job

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Amy was a bit selfish with Bernie's wedding yes. She seemed to want all the attention for what ever reason. Yes she was made maid of honour for some explicable reason LOL. Only after they went to a reception and Howard and Bernie decided not to marry their. She was vividly dissapointed hahaha. 

Sure Amy has developed since Season Four. But she also played the victim card to her benefit. But once again here we are discussing either Sheldon or Amy's flaws. And other posters bring up other characters flaws. Too some how diminish the said characters dispositions. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I'm surprised you don't include the corst crime shown, Amy's breaking Penny's nose in a burst of psychotic violence aimed at Bernadette. Amy also, offscreen, broke the nose of a TSA operative who got "handsy" - ironic in the light of A's earlier sexual assault on P after crashing her and Bernadette's girls' night. Isn't that a federal offence or something?

What Sheldon and Penny did before they left school shouldn't be counted. They're the only 2 for whom I can't think of an imprisonable offence. I believe Bernadette boasted of testing psychtropic drugs on people without their knowledge - or is big pharma allowed to do that in CA? I suppose as Raj didn't succeed in having sex with Penny when she was drunk he's off the rape charge, altho he could at least be made to believe  he was going to be charged.

Sorry, but why was I supposed to mention those things? The original post, that I replied to, was about how Amy's actions were dangerous and criminal. My post pointed out that all the other characters (not just Amy) have done such or even worse things, so if you judge them all that harshly, there are all criminals, so there is no point, at least in my opinion, to exclude Amy and criticize her behavior as dangerous and criminal. Plus, going by that logic, why watch a sitcom about a group of criminals in the first place? I have never denied Amy hasn't done other bad things, and most of the people who have watched the show already know about those things (almost certainly about the one five seasons ago, anyway). And, again, the same can be applied to other characters.

Plus, even if we go by legal definition, going into a dressing room with a video camera, albeit arguably illegal, is not a sexual assault. What happened between Raj and Penny wasn't rape (although Raj was an asshole about the whole thing after). They were both drunk and they didn't even have sex. Even if they had had sex-they were both drunk. Penny already had drunk sex before (at least once, with Leonard, when he was sober). And I'd argue that neither thing is as bad as tying up an underage girl in cornfield and leaving her there overnight, intentionally and for an incredibly petty reason (yes, even if Penny herself was underage at the time), or almost selling important information to North Korea spy (what do you think they need them for, out of curiousity?), or contemplating murdering someone, or castrating a person.

And, yes, those were all over the top for comedy purposes (whether it worked is another story), but so were Amy misdeeds.

22 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Well, even if it was, it is not like she really intruded about other aspects of the wedding, and from what we were shown, Bernadette didn't seem to have anyone else (as a maid of honor) in mind (except arguably Penny, who, to be honest, wasn't even that happy that Bernadette was going to marry someone like Howard).

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1
  • Run to India 2

19 hours ago, chucky said:

I'm thinking that it is payback time for Mrs. Hofstadter. She should take a video of Amy changing clothes. That would be hilarious.

Think the best payback for the Hofstadter's would be for Penny to get pregnant and have her water break at the ceremony.  Sheldon would have a stroke

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

What Sheldon and Penny did before they left school shouldn't be counted. They're the only 2 for whom I can't think of an imprisonable offence.

Kidnapping someone and dumping them in a field, isn't an imprisonable offence?

Trying to purchase yellow cake uranium, isn't an imprisonable offence?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Well, I'm surprised. You are obviously not an Amyac, but here you seem to be taking Amy's claims of friendship for Penny at face value. I can't think of a single occasion when she has genuinely helped Penny. Her behaviour when Penny was distressed about Leonard and Priya was typical. Amy saw this as an opportunity to be the bully she never got a chance to be at school (due to not having anyone to gang up with). She tried to coerce Penny & Bernadette into joining her infantile ganging up on Priya. Actually I suppose A was somewhat put in her place at the end of that storyline when Penny and Priya bonded in a grown-up way and Amy was left fuming. Another time Penny needed help and didn't get it from Amy was after her night with Raj. Amy had the gross impertinence to call P a skank. (It is a weakness of Penny's character that she puts up with this instead of kicking Amy out of her apartment). A friend would have pointed out that as Penny was too drunk to give or withold consent it was rape.

Bernadette and Sheldon have both genuinely helped Penny. But when do you consider Amy ever helped Penny?

I can recall one time when neither Amy or Bernadette helped Penny: Season 6 Episode 2 "Decoupling Fluctuation" when Penny was thinking about breaking up with Leonard again, why didn't either one of them remind Penny how miserable she was when they were apart and Leonard was dating Priya? I think good friends would have mentioned this to her

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

In my inexperience, you need to be very careful about voicing an opinion, about someone else's relationships.

For example, you should never badmouth someone's ex, because, when they get back together, you will be remembered as the one who said rotten things, about the love of their life.

44 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Think the best payback for the Hofstadter's would be for Penny to get pregnant and have her water break at the ceremony.

For that to happen, either Shamy would have to have a massively long engagement, or Penny would have to have an incredibly short pregnancy. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mislav said:

Plus, even if we go by legal definition, going into a dressing room with a video camera, albeit arguably illegal, is not a sexual assault.

No, the sexual assault was when Amy forced herself into P & B's girls' night, and after disgusting them with her infantile sex talk, said something about lesbian experimentation being appropriate and followed P into her bedroom. Then we heard P shout "Get off me!", so we can reasonably assume that sexual assault took place.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

No, the sexual assault was when Amy forced herself into P & B's girls' night, and after disgusting them with her infantile sex talk, said something about lesbian experimentation being appropriate and followed P into her bedroom. Then we heard P shout "Get off me!", so we can reasonably assume that sexual assault took place.

Arguably no, you can hardly "reasonay" assume that an actual sexual assault took place on a sitcom airing in primetime and was played as a joke, even if it happened off screen.

Actually, it is quite common for sitcoms to have off screen since like that, the kind that imply something serious or, in other cases, simply "dirty" might be happening, when it is actually something else, or something that we know could hardly actually happen on the show, even off screen; leading us to wonder what actually happened. The comedy in those scenes relies on an eventual twist or, in this case, ambiguity. It can hardly rely on an actual sexual assault. Because it takes place in a sitcom.

• Like 1

Well, even if it was, it is not like she really intruded about other aspects of the wedding, and from what we were shown, Bernadette didn't seem to have anyone else (as a maid of honor) in mind (except arguably Penny, who, to be honest, wasn't even that happy that Bernadette was going to marry someone like Howard).
You know i wish i would have had a friend like penny before i married my second wife. Sometimes you need someone to open your eyes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I'm sorry, the only person Amy has shown any interest in helping is Shelly-boy. From what I've seen, she has tried to take advantage of any sad situation Penny or Bernadette was in. Lets see putting electrodes on Penny's head when she was crying over Leonard's relationship with Pryia, pitting Bernadette against Penny over that new job , we already discussed the picture taking attempts and then there was her tricking her to take tests to compete against monkeys.$5.00 for the experiment Then offering  That sounds like a lousey friend if you ask me. Don't get me started with Shelly games he plays on the guys or the way he disses them.

I said Sheldon was a different story.

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

I didn't see it that way. She was offended because those she considered friends went dress shopping for the wedding without her behind her back, she found out the painful truth that they did not like her company for that. She did behave inappropriately but she that was unintentional. Hence she was deeply hurt. Should Bernadette have given her the MoH part? That's a different question. Anyway that is JMO.

• Like 1

I didn't see it that way. She was offended because those she considered friends went dress shopping for the wedding without her behind her back, she found out the painful truth that they did not like her company for that. She did behave inappropriately but she that was unintentional. Hence she was deeply hurt. Should Bernadette have given her the MoH part? That's a different question. Anyway that is JMO.
After seeing the way she bounced around the dress shop i can see why Penny and Bernadette didn't want her there. I do things that i wouldn't want to take some of my friends to so i can understand their hesitation

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

You know i wish i would have had a friend like penny before i married my second wife. Sometimes you need someone to open your eyes

Well, it doesn't really change anything. It can still be petty and rude, even if it has a good result in the end. Plus, it's not like Howard really needed Penny for that. Sure, some people mature later than others, but he is not an idiot. It is not like he couldn't have figured out he had to change, at least in part, to be in a serious relationship and eventually get married. She did introduce him to Bernadette, but only after Howard asked Leonard and then Leonard asked Penny. I doubt Penny cared much for Howard, or at least his relationship status, to be honest. Saying that you shouldn't have any doubts over marrying a certain person because no one else would ever take you is as low as one can get.

• Like 1

Well, it doesn't really change anything. It can still be petty and rude, even if it has a good result in the end. Plus, it's not like Howard really needed Penny for that. Sure, some people mature later than others, but he is not an idiot. It is not like he couldn't have figured out he had to change, at least in part, to be in a serious relationship and eventually get married. She did introduce him to Bernadette, but only after Howard asked Leonard and then Leonard asked Penny. I doubt Penny cared much for Howard, or at least his relationship status, to be honest. Saying that you shouldn't have any doubts over marrying a certain person because no one else would ever take you is as low as one can get.
I don't understand sheldon can say as many rude things as he likes and its consider constructive criticism let penny do the same thing and she's the worse person ever. I don't mean to bring sheldon in on this but to me its true

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I don't understand sheldon can say as many rude things as he likes and its consider constructive criticism let penny do the same thing and she's the worse person ever. I don't mean to bring sheldon in on this but to me its true

Personally, even if some things bother me more or less than others, I never claimed that Sheldon was providing Penny with constructive criticism. Just saying. Plus, I daresay almost anyone would agree that "no other woman would ever take you" is not a constructive criticism.

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 2

Personally, even if some things bother me more or less than others, I never claimed that Sheldon was providing Penny with constructive criticism. Just saying. Plus, I daresay almost anyone would agree that "no other woman would ever take you" is not a constructive criticism.
I think that needed to be said to Howard to make him realise what he was risking it wasn't like he was fighting off women

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Well it's now 2018 here on the eastern edge of the western hemisphere. Happy 2018 to all. I realised that for several years I have rated New Year's Eve by how many songs Ruby Turner sang on the Jules Holland show. JH is a british national treasure whose peculiar achievement is to make rythm & blues synonymous with a quiet middle-aged NYE in.

It occurred to me that so far as I remember we have never seen any of the characters celebrating NYE. Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's but no NYE. A little odd.

My New Year's wish is that we see Penny struggle to discover what she really wants in her life and after many setbacks and disappointments achieve it. KC is such a star that even with the little she's given these days she conveys that Penny has a chronic dissatisfaction (not with Leonard, with the rest of her life) that she can't yet define.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic