The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Thank you for the reply, kerrycec03! I really appreciate it. It sounds like an interesting episode, especially Sheldon returning to the String theory.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Speaking of Syndication and Reruns. TBBT has about 56 reruns a week where I live which adds up to 8 times a day.

What kind of Ratings do TBBT Reruns get compared to others shows Reruns like Fresh Prince, Seinfeld, and Everybody Loves Raymond? I guessing it does better only because of it still on the air in original broadcast network airing.

I wonder if TBBT will be as popular in reruns 20 years after it ends like Seinfeld is now 20 years after it ended? You cant turn in the TV on or change the channel without seeing Seinfeld Rerun is on. It practically airs all day every day.

Fresh Prince is another show that constantly on Reruns and is on several channels a day. It has been on Nick at Nite for years in Primetime or at a resonance hour. Back when it was at the height of its popularity on Nick at Nite when it had almost constant weekend marathons from 9-4et and had 3 hours of airings on weekdays people would jokingly call the network “Fresh Prince st Nite” because it was overrun on the network.

Raymond os a show that since it ended in 2005 has always been airing somewhere. For the longest time, it aired 3 sometimes 4 hours every afternoon on TBS now it on 4 hours every night on TV Land for the last couple years.

A more recent show (which ended the year Big Bang Theory came on the air) that kind of surprised that it was very popular in Reruns considering that it wasn’t really mediocrely popular in its original run was George Lopez.

George Lopez was like Fresh Prince was overran on Nick at Nite for several years (came on Nick at Nite in 2007) it aires as much as 3 hours a night and also had constant Reruns on Weekends. It was a show that wasn’t really popular in its original run but was explosively popular in reruns. There been others shows like that, for example, King of Queens though in recent years. GLS popularly in Syndication has subdued a little bit probably due to burnout.

Some shows are very popular as soon as it hit reruns (usually in more recent years because they are still on the air in the case TBBT if it popular in original airings but may weaken in reruns ratings once it goes off the air), Some are not popular or ratings success when it still in the air but end up being very popular in reruns

Some shows are very popular on original network nut mot popular in reruns in the case of Maude and Murphy Brown. Some struggle at first despite bring popular on its original broadcast network. Cosby Show bombed in reruns at first in 1987

Some shows are just as popular once hit returns as it is or was in its original broadcast. 

Some shows, particularly from the 1990s that were very popular in reruns at first well kind of disappear from reruns for awhile (sometimes for years) or their airing, will be dramatically scaled or cut down like Full House and Roseanne which in recent years have seen a sudden resurgence probably due to their revivals. Full House now back on Nick at Nite where came back in 2016 after for being on the network for a few years

So which way will Big Bang Theory go? will it hold up in Syndication 10-30 years from now? or even 40-60 years from now like I love Lucy and All in the Family? 

That is interesting. Because their has never been Seinfeld reruns in NZ. Since 2004. You can't turn the TV on without seeing a Friends re run. ITs been on the same timeslot since 2004. 14 years in a row. I always wonder well TBBT be future syndicated twenty years from now like Friends. Who knows. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

That is interesting. Because their has never been Seinfeld reruns in NZ. Since 2004. You can't turn the TV on without seeing a Friends re run. ITs been on the same timeslot since 2004. 14 years in a row. I always wonder well TBBT be future syndicated twenty years from now like Friends. Who knows. 

Seinfeld is still extremely popular here. There a new generation of fans now. Same with Friends which airs just about as often as Seinfeld does here. I have seen every single episode f both hows countless times. I notice Seinfeld seem to be more popular only with an American audience unlike Friends which has an international popularity 

As you said it remains to be seen if TBBT will air as much as much as Friends and Seinfeld do now in 20 years from now. 

As long as the show continues to have a new generation of fans and continues to do in reruns very well it probably well never well disappear form Syndication.  

That why Lucy is still in Syndication some 60 years after it ended and still enormously popular.  Every Gerneiaotn since it has brought a new large fan base to the show and people are still talking about. It still makes money for CBS! 

The Television Critics Association (TCA) are on their winter tour of the networks.  Today was set visits and they made a stop at the " Young Sheldon" set. 

A couple of interesting BBT takeaways...

Chuck Lorre was asked who should play grown up George Jr...From Entertainment Weekly

Lorre even admitted they talked about creating an adult version of Georgie, Sheldon’s older brother played by Montana Jordan, for TBBT. And the dream guy to play him? “[Matthew] McConaughey!” quipped Lorre.

And they asked Jim about what Sheldon has said about George Sr on TBBT and how George Sr is portrayed on "Young Sheldon"...

Jim Parsons re discrepancy between what Sheldon has told us about dad vs what #YoungSheldon shows us:  the spinoff is almost a more truthful  intimate “private diary” version that grown Sheldon would never open up about. #TCA18.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Again Will Wheaton?

I love the guy, but after his first few appearances, he hasn't added much (not his fault, just the way his character is written).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vonmar said:

Jim Parsons re discrepancy between what Sheldon has told us about dad vs what #YoungSheldon shows us:  the spinoff is almost a more truthful  intimate “private diary” version that grown Sheldon would never open up about. #TCA18.

Makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiany said:

Again Will Wheaton?

I love the guy, but after his first few appearances, he hasn't added much (not his fault, just the way his character is written).

Last time we saw him he got the part of Professor Proton, that's something new.

• Like 3

On 11.1.2018 at 3:23 AM, vonmar said:

The Television Critics Association (TCA) are on their winter tour of the networks.  Today was set visits and they made a stop at the " Young Sheldon" set. 

A couple of interesting BBT takeaways...

Chuck Lorre was asked who should play grown up George Jr...From Entertainment Weekly

Lorre even admitted they talked about creating an adult version of Georgie, Sheldon’s older brother played by Montana Jordan, for TBBT. And the dream guy to play him? “[Matthew] McConaughey!” quipped Lorre.

And they asked Jim about what Sheldon has said about George Sr on TBBT and how George Sr is portrayed on "Young Sheldon"...

Given the way Sheldon's psyche seems to work it is plausible that he came to devaluate his father in quite a distorted way after he passed away. Sheldon is sometimes like a poster boy for manic defenses. That means that he has great difficulties accepting the extent to which he is dependent on others (who may leave him some day), so to deny this dependency he elevates himself and devaluates others, especially those he most depends on. In TBBT Leonard (Sheldon's main "caregiver", and as suggested in S7 sort of father figure, throughout the years) is the one to take the brunt of it. His fathers death represented a premanent separation from a person he was highlt dependent on, so his reaction may well be devaluating him. 

That being said, in TBBT Mary also seemed very critical of George, describing him as dimwitted. I also have a hard time believing that Sheldon's stories about him drinking and letting Georgie drive and cheating on Mary were a result of distorted perceptions or misunderstanding.

Edited by bfm
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Koala Face 1

16 minutes ago, bfm said:

That being said, in TBBT Marry also seemed very critical of George, describing him as dimwitted. I also have a hard time believing that Sheldon's stories about him drinking and letting Georgie drive and cheating on Marry were a result of distorted perceptions or misunderstanding.

Perhaps George turn a comer at some point and does cheat. That could be enough for Mary to become critical. Or perhaps Mary also has a odd way of grieving after his death.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vonmar said:

Even before YS , I though it would be interisting to watch oneday the interaction between Sheldon and Georgie for these reasons Jim mentioned. There are things that as they are told by someone whom was not happy with certain situations , it doesnt mean the others were so mean or bad as that someone told or implied about . There are times that would be needed to get in more privately to watch those complains to have a better perspective of how things reallly happened. It is like if you ask my opinion about someone I dont get along with: I may try to be impartial in my opinion but if it is not very positive, my facial expression as I talk about might say more than my words. However the person might be better than I said they were, as it was only my experience that was not that good though.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Perhaps George turn a comer at some point and does cheat. That could be enough for Mary to become critical. Or perhaps Mary also has a odd way of grieving after his death.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing them cutting that out entirely. Not sure the show will run that long but at some point I would imagine George taking a turn for the worse. Especially the combination of alcohol and cheating could certainly taint his family's memory of him. And while he might have been a good dad/husband for the most time these things easily lead people to emphasise the negative parts or paint events in a more negative light than they were initially.

With regards to YS being Sheldon's more "private diary version" I think it would also fit. If we assume the show is narrated by Sheldon now in the present or even in the future at some point he would be more mature than he was in the past and in hindsight he has a better understanding of the family dynamics.

• Like 5

I haven't seen an episode of YS. And I don't think I ever well. Adult Sheldon is enough for a lifetime.

8dQW6aX.gif

Anyway, New episode tommorro. I have yet to see last weeks. But with this show you can tune in and feel like nothings changed at all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiany said:

Again Will Wheaton?

Perhaps he'll come to Sheldon as Professor Proton in a dream. Way to annoy Sheldon !

• Haha 1

I thought that's why sheldon knocks 3 times because he caught his dad cheating

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

He seems to have grown out of that and then started again. Perhaps that was after he'd been counting the men coming and going from 4B

He seems to have grown out of that and then started again. Perhaps that was after he'd been counting the men coming and going from 4B
No i think he still knots 3 times if he kept track of men coming out of pennys apt don't you think that's kind on creepy or maybe even stalking

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

No i think he still knots 3 times if he kept track of men coming out of pennys apt don't you think that's kind on creepy or maybe even stalking

It was just a guess as to why he restarted it. We know he counted the men.

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

It was just a guess as to why he restarted it. We know he counted the men.

We're not supposed to think he stopped and restarted it. Chunks of S1 simply have been retconned.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, April said:

We're not supposed to think he stopped and restarted it. Chunks of S1 simply have been retconned.

Too bad. I do a lot of things I'm not supposed to. Hah ! :) Sheldon can't help counting all sorts of things. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tensor said:

YESSSSSSSSS, Wil Wheaton at my taping....

I wish they'd do something again with the Spock documentary. I wish they'd follow up on it because I thought it had potential to be funny. But I suspect it's because of the wedding.

16 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Better than now

For me the best season will always be the 6th. The Parking Spot Escalation, The Bakersfield Expedition, The Cooper Kripke Inversion...those are some of my all time favorites.

15 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Same with Friends which airs just about as often as Seinfeld does here. I have seen every single episode f both hows countless times.

I have never seen an entire episode of either one. Not originally and not in rerun.  I just never liked any of those characters.

13 hours ago, vonmar said:

I dont' like this. They are basically telling us anything he has ever said on TBBT about growing up could be a lie.

11 hours ago, Chiany said:

I love the guy and would like to see a lot more of him. One of my favorite episodes was the one where Amy brought him to Sheldon to talk to him about failure. If you give him something decent to do, he does it well.

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I never bought that because he didn't do that at first.

• Like 1