The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

I agree with everything you said here.

My point is, the show changed its dynamic a LONG time ago, so if people hate it to the point that they can't bear it, then they would quit watching it, of course. I used the "Shenny fans still watch it" as an extreme example to say people who still watch the show must find something enjoyable to them, like you said in your post. Guess I should've made my post clear. 

No...you made your very point clear. I was trying to agree with you. 😊

Edited by Sah
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

First bold...Really? What other shows are pulling their numbers?  11 years in it is still the #1 comedy on television.

Second bold.. a different era as you pointed out yourself.  Comparing TBBT ratings to Friends is a very weak argument (IMHO)

1. 11 years and still #1. You said comparing differ eras is weak but your comparing TBBT to different eras isn't  that the same thing?

2. The fact is Friends had more viewers than TBBT. Numbers don't lie.

Personally for Leonard's bachelor's party, they should have left Sheldon's condescending self at home.That way it would have been a comedy when he complained for not having been allowed to go. 

• Haha 1

Hmm...I'm not sure that Sheldon's "condescending self" had much impact on that episode, I remembered them using science to solve silly problems, singing "We will rock you", and then ending up burning Feynman's van, that was classic, LMAO.

Yep, to each their own.   :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

They know their show better than anyone, if they shift focus or switch attention to a character more it's because it's what the audience wants.

By that I mean not just pleasing one section because we know the fanbase is diverse but they always will go with the mindset of producing content that meets the needs of the majority. That's pretty much common sense and the smart thing to do, they are a business after all don't forget.

Let's say there was a sudden clamouring for Stuart to get more screen time. If their data and knowledge of the audience backs that up then it would of course happen.

I think not only have the characters evolved and changed but also so has the audience over the years which explains any decision to shift the focus when it comes to stories. If Sheldon and Shamy are getting more focus then there will be a logical reason for it, these are very smart people here who like I said know the show, its audience and its competition.

There was this site that said their mailbox if full of fans wanting Lenny to have a baby, you don't see that hapenning. I also think the writers should work to balance things, so they increased what seemed to appeal to the many but should it be increased sooo much? I generally like Sheldon and Shamy, I do, but some times (especially seasons 8-10) it's just so much that it makes me get tired of Sheldon.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

Quoting myself here, but replacing "wedding planning" with "bachelor/bachelorette parties".

Wait, I thought Lenny did have bachelor/bachelorette parties, just they had them AFTER the wedding, right?

LMAO. 

Even (some of) the Shenny fans still watch the show......

Considering they decided to get married and eloped (in the same episode), the bachelor/bachelorette parties would HAVE to be after the wedding.

Edited by BigBang15
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, bfm said:

There was this site that said their mailbox if full of fans wanting Lenny to have a baby, you don't see that hapenning. I also think the writers should work to balance things, so they increased what seemed to appeal to the many but should it be increased sooo much? I generally like Sheldon and Shamy, I do, but some times (especially seasons 8-10) it's just so much that it makes me get tired of Sheldon.

There was also an interview somewhere somewhen where they said if they bowed to public opinion they'd have to write Shenny in cause they had a very vocal fanbase at that time. But that didn't happen either. Thank goodness.

I do think however that Jonny isn't completely off with his assessment that they do get enough positive feedback on Sheldon and Shamy to justify the focus on him as a character/them as a couple. The thing is, if they didn't they'd change what they are doing. Or at least we know that they do exactly that with certain running gags and such and it's easier to spot cause they sometimes end so abruptly (Amy's weird crush on Penny being probably the most prominent example). The problem is though that I think this started a long long time ago - like somewhen in S1 or S2 where they realised they had struck gold with Sheldon, then they were mining that with the Shenny thing they had for a while before eventually coming up with Amy and expanding the character in terms of a romantic relationship. Point being, I don't think it's a sudden development but something that has build up over time, and instead of thinking the focus changed only with S8 and the following I think it happened gradually over the years and S8 might have just been the tipping point for people who don't like him. Either way though, people are massively interested in Sheldon and subsequently Shamy for the writers to keep going with the same momentum since giving him more an more screen time in S2 and onwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this season's Lenny is the best Lenny since...I don't know...S.6 E.24, Leonard went to the North Sea.  

They are both in love, totally in sync, teaming against the world (well, mostly Sheldon and Shamy, LMAO) ...When they are facing problems, they talk it out and solve them together. They talk about the baby topic several times, Leonard helps Penny study the new drugs, they have nice dinner outside and they entertain friends with dinner at 4A.  They talk about the future...Even Beverly made good friends with Penny and was warming up to Leonard through Penny... 

I don't know about others, but I'm happy with the Lenny we got this season. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, April said:

There was also an interview somewhere somewhen where they said if they bowed to public opinion they'd have to write Shenny in cause they had a very vocal fanbase at that time. But that didn't happen either. Thank goodness.

I do think however that Jonny isn't completely off with his assessment that they do get enough positive feedback on Sheldon and Shamy to justify the focus on him as a character/them as a couple. The thing is, if they didn't they'd change what they are doing. Or at least we know that they do exactly that with certain running gags and such and it's easier to spot cause they sometimes end so abruptly (Amy's weird crush on Penny being probably the most prominent example). The problem is though that I think this started a long long time ago - like somewhen in S1 or S2 where they realised they had struck gold with Sheldon, then they were mining that with the Shenny thing they had for a while before eventually coming up with Amy and expanding the character in terms of a romantic relationship. Point being, I don't think it's a sudden development but something that has build up over time, and instead of thinking the focus changed only with S8 and the following I think it happened gradually over the years and S8 might have just been the tipping point for people who don't like him. Either way though, people are massively interested in Sheldon and subsequently Shamy for the writers to keep going with the same momentum since giving him more an more screen time in S2 and onwards.

Yeah, but now there is no uniqueness about Shamy. They were different and according to Shamy fans, a better couple. Now they are just a normal red-blooded couple. 

• Like 1

Just now, chucky said:

Yeah, but now there is no uniqueness about Shamy. They were different and according to Shamy fans, a better couple. Now they are just a normal red-blooded couple. 

LOL Nah. But keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Run to India 1

3 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

I think this season's Lenny is the best Lenny since...I don't know...S.6 E.24, Leonard went to the North Sea.  

They are both in love, totally in sync, teaming against the world (well, mostly Sheldon and Shamy, LMAO) ...When they are facing problems, they talk it out and solve them together. They talk about the baby topic several times, Leonard helps Penny study the new drugs, they have nice dinner outside and they entertain friends with dinner at 4A.  They talk about the future...Even Beverly made good friends with Penny and was warming up to Leonard through Penny... 

How can they be happy? Every time they try to be alone and do something Sheldon and or Shamy comes barging in and ruin their alone time. The other couple and Raj get to enjoy being alone, but not Lenny. These stupid writers think that it's funny for them to be interrupted.

1 minute ago, April said:

LOL Nah. But keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Don't have to tell myself, see it in every episode.

8 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

I glad you're happy. To me they're better, but not there yet!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chucky said:

How can they be happy? Every time they try to be alone and do something Sheldon and or Shamy comes barging in and ruin their alone time. The other couple and Raj get to enjoy being alone, but not Lenny. These stupid writers think that it's funny for them to be interrupted.

Hmm...that's OK, I'll stop now.  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

Hmm...that's OK, I'll stop now.  :)

Have a nice day!  :icon_cheesygrin:

46 minutes ago, April said:

I don't think there was a sudden change. As you say, the Sheldon focus has grown over they years to the point I became tired of it. I'm also not saying they don't get positive feedback on Sheldon/Shamy, but it is harder to differentiate being tired of the show from being tied of Sheldon (especially since it is hard now for less dedicated fans to remember a time when Sheldon was less dominant), than it is to note that you don't like a certain gag. It is also harder to note when it is a process and not an abrupt change.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't think there was a sudden change. As you say, the Sheldon focus has grown over they years to the point I became tired of it. I'm also not saying they don't get positive feedback on Sheldon/Shamy, but it is harder to differentiate being tired of the show from being tied of Sheldon (especially since it is hard now for less dedicated fans to remember a time when Sheldon was less dominant), than it is to note that you don't like a certain gag. It is also harder to note when it is a process and not an abrupt change.

Exactly my point. I do think since early seasons there's a sort of positive reinforcement cycle at work with Sheldon. In early seasons people reacted positively to him so they gave him more and more screentime/stories, then they gave him Amy and people reacted positively to her so they continued to grow their relationship, then they had that whole will-they-won't they time with Shamy that people apparently reacted positively to so they took it as far as they could and eventually resolved that in S9, and again people reacting positively to Shamy's milestones encouraged them to go all out with the wedding plots. So unless they fuck up massively with Shamy somehow there is no reason for them to stop this cause they will surely get positive feedback in some form.

And yeah, I feel sorry for you that your favourite couple fell by the wayside in the process. At least this season is a lot better than the last one but even as a non-Lenny I'm disappointed with how they've been handled. The writers wouldn't even need to take much time away from Sheldon to give Lenny their own stories. There are a few things I'd hoped would develop more during the season but so far a proper storyline still hasn't materialised. The bits we got just went nowhere again. Oh well.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, April said:

When I write "Oh well" it's meant as a disappointed sigh.

To you it was a disappointed sigh, I saw it as condescension. You've explained your intention and I accept your version and apologize for my remarks.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Chiany said:

Yes, a sign of good things to come.

That's a matter of opinion. As always your opinion and mine are different. The only good point is that Season 12 will be the end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I have nothing againgst Shamy. I diddn't mind their dynamic like in Season 4. But theirs a saying "Too much of a good thing". I think the show ended up milking the character of Sheldon for its worth until it was sucked dry. Amy and Mayim just happens to be Sheldons other half. So she shares the bulk of that screen time. But it has not been The Big Bang Theory in about six seasons now. Since 7x24. IT has been more a dissapointing sequel. "Sheldon Cooper's Adventures and his Friends". But that is just my perspective. And that is not to say I want it to be the Lenny show either. I just think the show worked best when it was more friendship dynamic based. And more group episodes. Either some say it is now a Family Based Sitcom. OR it is couples comedy. I still love the characters. So that is prob why I am still invested. As I have been watching since 2008.

My thoughts as well....a perfect analysis.  Very disappointing to see this show segue into "The Sheldon Show"   Wonder if anything will be addressed at next week's Paley Fest? However, I am like you, nothing against Shamy  but a little less of them and more of the ensemble group would suffice.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, chucky said:

Oookaaay....if you say so...

4 hours ago, chucky said:

Kind of a quirky version of the Ricardos and the Mertzes.

I agree Lenny are not getting enough screen time.  I think this problem would be better served if they gave Penny a better, more interesting job.  I wish we would see an episode that focused on her.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, chucky said:

Don't have to tell myself, see it in every episode.

I think what Kripke Rules states is true for the most part.  Also, isn't it better to have Sheldon and Amy barge in periodically than to have to LIVE with Sheldon after they were married. To me that was the most insane plot to last all that time.  Maybe they should lock their door when they want to conduct their amorous activities.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

I think it was a good friendship episode for the guys too, having each others’ backs to go meet the crazy physicist in the woods. It wasn’t a bachelor party per se, but if you think of the spirit of a bachelor party, I think this seems appropriate for Sheldon. His bachelor days weren’t filled with drinking, partying, and women; his bachelor days were filled with the delusion that he was fine on his own and with his aspirations of a life solely focused on work. One last look at that makes a lot more sense than a traditional party. I’m not someone who likes everything that the writers do, but I have to give them credit here because I thought it was a clever way of doing a ‘bachelor party’ for Sheldon.

Good point! For funniest it would be if it can be seen a drunk Sheldon or an awkard Sheldon dealing with a stripper ( guilty , as I would laugh surely) in his bachelor party, it would turn to be ooc, as it would look like he was trying to do what was expected a groom do or behave in that kind of event. I think it was a clever way Sheldon say good bye to his bachelor time and a fabulous way to remind the audience these characters are true friends to each others, no matter their differences of personalities, quirks or background. I am really looking foward to this one.

• Like 8
  • It's a Tiara 1

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I think what Kripke Rules states is true for the most part.  Also, isn't it better to have Sheldon and Amy barge in periodically than to have to LIVE with Sheldon after they were married. To me that was the most insane plot to last all that time.  Maybe they should lock their door when they want to conduct their amorous activities.

Maybe, maybe not. Although I do agree that them living with Dr Cooper after being married was absolutely idiotic. Then, after they get rid of him, they have Raj move in for a few episodes. What's next, Stuart moving in since Howard and Bernadette kicks him out? I just want Lenny to have some uninterrupted alone time other than when it's bed time. You don't see people barging into 4 B and interrupt Shamy. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I know I'm ranting, I tend to do that.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3