[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

56 minutes ago, Chiany said:

But still Mayim was the only one with a titular role (is that a word?).

If Mayim was the only character to appear, or she had a major production role (like Roseanne, you might have a point.  But there were other actors who were part of the show and others that took care of production. (and yes, titular is a word)

56 minutes ago, Chiany said:

This is far more important that a few guest appearances the others did.

How exactly?  I would argue, at least from my experience and talking to other actors, that it's tougher and you gain more experience by having all those guest staring roles.   Playing the same role week after week, after the first or second season hardly strains your acting ability.  It's something you have done repeatedly before.  Paraphrased, Kaley said she can drop into Penny in about five minutes.   If you have to create a new character every three or four weeks or so, you gain far more experience.  

You also have to look at different mediums.   Mayim had much less experience in movies (either TV or regular motion pictures). Johnny had 25 of those prior to TBBT, Mayim had 4.  Her and Kaley also did not have  significant theatre experience, whereas Johnny appeared on and off Broadway.    If the claim is the most experiences actor, Kaley had the most work and  Johnny had the most diverse resume.

I want to stress this isn't a knock on Mayim, she did good work prior to TBBT, and a lot of it. But, the conversation was about who was the most experienced actor prior to their time on TBBT and Mayim had neither the most or the most diverse. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I have always thought and still do think that Kelsey is a weird name to give a Boy.  

You do know that Kelsey is his middle name?

4 hours ago, Chiany said:

It is a word, but I'm not sure it's the one you want.

4 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Doesn't matter if it the middle name or not. Still a weird name to give a boy. 

Maybe the name was given in memory of a relative who died young/in tragic circumstances.

My older brother was named in memory of an uncle, who died at 18, in the war.

10 minutes ago, Jonny said:

lol I instantly had a caption in my mind when I saw this picture.

To each his or her own, but this is one I think I will only ever watch once just like Viewing Party Combustion.

After reading your post, I had to look up which episode is the "viewing party combustion", and...  yikes!   Really? 

I know my friends called the "viewing party" one kinda a Shenny one, but I don't recall anything Shenny in this one. 

(Not to bother you, just curious...)

6 minutes ago, April said:

Not at all weird. Kelsey is one of those names that have been male in the past but became female over time:

https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-names-that-morphed-from-blue-to-pink

Compared to some of the names that the stars of Hollywood have given their children, Kelsey seems quite normal. I know 10 years or so a go, one of these famous actresses named their daughter Apple Dumpling. Now that's worse that North West (Kim and Kanye).

8 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

"viewing party combustion"

The only thing that I found bad about this episode was Penny's total disrespect of her husband. Penny used the R/A for her personal use to get things she wanted to get out of doing for Dr. Wackledoodle. The other thing I didn't like was no closure or completeness of the issues at hand. Which these writers are very adept at doing,

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I don't see it as shenny , as much as, Penny being upset that she got caught using the Roommate Agreement against Leonard.

Obviously. But the image of Sheldon and Penny forging their GoT alliance against their SOs is the fabric Shenny dreams are made of. lol

11 hours ago, Chiany said:

For me, not being a Blossom fan, Mayim's best role was in the movie Beaches. She was fantastic in that part and it brought her a lot of attention.

9 hours ago, Tensor said:

I want to stress this isn't a knock on Mayim, she did good work prior to TBBT, and a lot of it. But, the conversation was about who was the most experienced actor prior to their time on TBBT and Mayim had neither the most or the most diverse. 

But this has nothing to do with how their names appear. That is all settled when they sign contracts, or so I thought. Isn't how the names come up how this whole rigamarole started?

My, I haven't used that word in ages. It's kind of fun,

34 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But this has nothing to do with how their names appear. That is all settled when they sign contracts, or so I thought.

There are actually three tiers of names.  Johnny  and Jim are first, and were equal pay wise, as they with the project from the beginning.  Johnny's name appears first, as he was the more well known.   Then you have Kaley, Simon, and Kunal.  Kaley was obviously the more well known.  Simon had done a couple of TV shows and a couple of shorts, while Kunal, I think, had one credit, NCIS.  As a result, the names appear Kaley, Simon, and Kunal.  Kaley got equal pay with Johnny and Jim, probably due to her being more well known than Jim.  Then you have the interesting one.  Mayim and Melissa.  Melissa appeared on the show before Mayim, was made a main cast member before Mayim, but Mayim appears before Melissa,  probably due to a combination of them being made main cast so close together (five episodes), and Mayim's  previous work, which was much more well known than Melissa's.  

34 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Isn't how the names come up how this whole rigamarole started?

That may be, but I was referring to the comment about who was the more experienced actor.

6 hours ago, April said:

Not at all weird. Kelsey is one of those names that have been male in the past but became female over time:

https://nameberry.com/blog/unisex-baby-names-names-that-morphed-from-blue-to-pink

I don't care. To me It still a weird name to give to a boy. The poor kids will probably get beat  up on the playground 

6 hours ago, chucky said:

Compared to some of the names that the stars of Hollywood have given their children, Kelsey seems quite normal. I know 10 years or so a go, one of these famous actresses named their daughter Apple Dumpling. Now that's worse that North West (Kim and Kanye).

The only thing that I found bad about this episode was Penny's total disrespect of her husband. Penny used the R/A for her personal use to get things she wanted to get out of doing for Dr. Wackledoodle. The other thing I didn't like was no closure or completeness of the issues at hand. Which these writers are very adept at doing,

Yes It fine for a Girl (I have a cousin name Kelsey but spelled differently) but not fine for a Boy IMO 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

6 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I don't care. To me It still a weird name to give to a boy. The poor kids will probably get beat  up on the playground 

Yes It fine for a Girl (I have a cousin name Kelsey but spelled differently) but not fine for a Boy IMO 

I admit that I wouldn't name my son Kelsey. But, look at the show, Kelsey is so much better that Leakey.  :sarcastichand:

I'm sure poor Leonard wishes his middle name was Kelsey.  :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by chucky

14 hours ago, Chiany said:

This is far more important that a few guest appearances the others did.

Johnny did more than just 'a few guest appearances' on Roseanne. he was practically a cast member though never officially made one but in the last few seasons, he got an "Also Starring" credit. In the last 4 Seasons, he was in more Epsidoes then Sara Gilbert was as she was away at College in real life. He was an important   part of that show

Same with Kaley 

Kaley was a Cast Member on two Shows including 8 Simple Rules during its entire run and on Charmed during the last season. Kaley was a vital part of 8 Simple Rules as she played the daughter 

Kaley and Johnny have done more TV acting then Jim combined.  Asw Ajond said Kaley's and Johnny's roles were hardly guest roles.

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

12 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Johnny did more than just 'a few guest appearances' on Roseanne. he was practically a cast member though never officially made one but in the last few seasons, he got an "Also Starring" credit. In the last 4 Seasons, he was in more Epsidoes then Sara Gilbert was as she was away at College in real life. He was an important   part of that show

Same with Kaley 

Kaley was a Cast Member on two Shows including 8 Simple Rules during its entire run and on Charmed during the last season. Kaley was a vital part of 8 Simple Rules as she played the daughter 

Kaley and Johnny have done more TV acting then Jim combined.  Asw Ajond said Kaley's and Johnny's roles were hardly guest roles.

I totally agree.

1 hour ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

But you guys were talking about Kelsey Grammer who was born in the 50s. So while "Kelsey" is a predominantly female name today it wasn't in the 50s.

2 hours ago, April said:

But you guys were talking about Kelsey Grammer who was born in the 50s. So while "Kelsey" is a predominantly female name today it wasn't in the 50s.

It was more common as a last name until pretty recently.

2 hours ago, April said:

I didn't know it was ever a real name. Wow !

33 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I didn't know it was ever a real name. Wow !

Well, after this discussion, now you know it is a real name. Just like Leakey.  :icon_cheesygrin:

I can just hear the kids at school calling him Leakey Hofstadter.  :sarcastichand:

Almost as bad as Shelly Cooper, the pooper scooper!  :sarcastichand:

Edited by chucky