The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Jim doesn't want Kids on the show either. He has said in the past that he does not want to work with Kids.  I can understand it. 

Any Kids that come now I don't think will be til the final episode. But at the end of the day, it not their decision. 

If I am not mistaken, Johnny said he also wanted no part of working with babies .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Very True. They are gonna want to hype it for the next year like NBC did with Friends.  

No matter what I think something will be announced at the May Upfronts. whether that be that Season 12 will be it lat or that there will be a Season 13 and it will be it last. But I wouldn't be surprised if tBBT get renewed for Saon 13 before that like it ha in the past.  

It would be quit thing wouldn't it if the show get a season 13? Only one sitcom in history has had more than 12 Seasons and only a few sitcoms have more than 300 episodes.   It may not live up to be a classic but will definitely go into the history books and will be remembered for it longevity. 

Last of the Summer Wine was the longest-running sitcom in the world with over 30 seasons, but I thought I Love Lucy ran for about 15 ? I bet TBBT could beat the latter.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Last of the Summer Wine was the longest-running sitcom in the world with over 30 seasons, but I thought I Love Lucy ran for about 15 ? I bet TBBT could beat the latter.

I Love Lucy ran for 6 seasons.  That not even close to 16.  I am not talking about the World but only U.S TV.  The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet is the longest-running American Sitcom in History with 14 Seasons. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, chucky said:

If I am not mistaken, Johnny said he also wanted no part of working with babies .

If the other couples had children they wouldn't have to be seen every week. They'd start life as babies like everybody else. All  babies look pretty much the same, make a lot of noise and don't do a lot at first.  There'd not be much of a role for them. So, there'd be very little working with them for the cast. They could be as unseen as Halley and Mikey 23 episodes out of 24. One glimpse, such as we had of the sloth, the children in the Caltech creche and occasionally get with Cinnamon, would be enough to make it realistic.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bfm said:

An actor won't say their show is getting worse...

But it would be preferable not to say anything in regards to the matter instead of trying to spew such a blatant lie, IMO.

• Like 3

The consensus seemed to be that working with babies takes forever to film.   Wait I love Lucy and the adventures of Ozzie and Harriet were not the same show?  I know the Lucille Ball Show was post Desi.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

As for a spinoff. Not sure I would like to see that. 

The only spinoff I'd like to see would be: "The Hofstadters"

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MsGreentea said:

Wait I love Lucy and the adventures of Ozzie and Harriet were not the same show?

No. I used to watch I Love Lucy but have never seen Ozzie and Harriet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Ozzie_and_Harriet

12 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The only spinoff I'd like to see would be: "The Hofstadters"

Doubt that is much of a possibility.

• Make a lot more sense than that 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I don't want to see any spinoffs at all. They never work. And always done for the wrong reasons. I think Young Sheldon is this shows dash as far as Prequels and Sequels go 

aaa021a655df9a13573852d24d4a8ebe.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't want to see any spinoffs at all. They never work.

That is not true. Sometimes they do.  There have been quite a few successful spinoffs.  You have to have the right Character from the Parent Show (that is if there is one) who can carry their own show and of course good Writing with at least a decent supporting cast. Some Spinoffs end up being better then the Parent Show 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 2

I think the many discussions about babies and children and so many future fics in fanfiction* shows how old the show is LOL

*Guilty as chraged of being one of them, but I did had the idea about a year and a half ago when this wasn't a strong trend as it is now, not even a trend)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

That is not true. Sometimes they do.  There have been quite a few successful spinoffs.  You have to have the right Character from the Parent Show (that is if there is one) who can carry their own show and of course good Writing with at least a decent supporting cast. Some Spinoffs end up being better then the Parent Show 

You might have a point. I was just speaking from my own experience of spinoffs. Let's just say their has not been a succesful spinoff this decade I can remember. Point was prefer no spinoff from this series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Point was prefer no spinoff from this series.

If we had to have a spin off, I'd rather it be The Hofstadters rather than The Shamy or The Howardettes. We've had way to much Sheldon and Howardette, is in my opinion, boring. But, I agree, no spin off is ideal for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't want to see any spinoffs at all. They never work. And always done for the wrong reasons. I think Young Sheldon is this shows dash as far as Prequels and Sequels go 

Sorry but thats totally wrong many spinoffs have been not only successfull but more successful than their original show.

For example Maude, The Jeffersons, Fraiser, Melrose Place, Benson, Zena, The Facts of Life etc...

Not all spinoffs are Joanie loves Chachi. I know you think it was the best show ever but Just because the one spinoff from Friends (Joey) was crap dossent mean they all are or will be

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Let's just say their has not been a succesful spinoff this decade I can remember. 

Better Call Saul comes immediately to mind

Edited by JE7
  • Like 5

I think the plan will be to bring them all back and continue this format, it's what they know and what's been successful. Which is of course my preference and what I want to see.

But if one actor drops out it then poses a dilemma for them about whether they should continue with the original format or tweak it. I think it's an assumption to say that if one or more leaves that's the end of it all, it might not be. It might be the end of what we are seeing now but I could easily see ways they could lose a cast member or two and still keep going, but it would be a big gamble and require some major reworking of the show. It could fail but it might not.

The other option that I don't think you can rule out is replacing it with a spin-off. Either a spin-off with some characters from the existing show or some kind of spin-off set in the same TBBT universe. We are not going to get Young Leonard, Young Penny and all that, I don't ever see another series set during the youth of these characters again. But if hypothetically one of the couples were to move away at the end of the show could you see them having a new sitcom show (perhaps touching on some more mature or adult themes)? I could.

TBBT is more than a show it's a global brand, when they were talking about YS last year when the news broke it was in development I remember reading someone (might have been the CBS boss) who said there could be more shows associated with TBBT some day. If they think they can make more money from it with another show of course they will explore it.

Anyways fingers crossed they are all back, I like seeing all the cast on here and it would feel different with one or more missing.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

I think it would depend on who left, if it was one or more of the big three the show is toast. If it was Howard or Amy it would hard to continue. The show could survive losing Bernie I believe although she would be missed and would actually be better  without Raj.

#runtoindia

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I think the plan will be to bring them all back and continue this format, it's what they know and what's been successful. Which is of course my preference and what I want to see.

But if one actor drops out it then poses a dilemma for them about whether they should continue with the original format or tweak it. I think it's an assumption to say that if one or more leaves that's the end of it all, it might not be. It might be the end of what we are seeing now but I could easily see ways they could lose a cast member or two and still keep going, but it would be a big gamble and require some major reworking of the show. It could fail but it might not.

The other option that I don't think you can rule out is replacing it with a spin-off. Either a spin-off with some characters from the existing show or some kind of spin-off set in the same TBBT universe. We are not going to get Young Leonard, Young Penny and all that, I don't ever see another series set during the youth of these characters again. But if hypothetically one of the couples were to move away at the end of the show could you see them having a new sitcom show (with perhaps touching on some more mature or adult themes) based on them? I could.

TBBT is more than a show it's a global brand, when they were talking about YS I remember reading someone (might be the CBS boss) who said there could be more shows associated with TBBT some day. 

Anyways fingers crossed they are all back, I like seeing all the cast on here and it would feel different with one or more missing.

I agree up to a point. I feel without Jim, Johnny or Kayley, the show would change too much. It pretty much centers around them. You could throw in Mayim as well. The main set is 4A and 4B w/ the hallway. The rest are hardly seen unless visiting. I think that the show would change too much and the audience would find something else to watch.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 4

Yeah of course, depending on who left that kind of determines what would happen and what options you would have going forward if you wanted to keep the show going.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, chucky said:

I agree up to a point. I feel without Jim, Johnny or Kayley, the show would change too much. It pretty much centers around them. You could throw in Mayim as well. The main set is 4A and 4B w/ the hallway. The rest are hardly seen unless visiting. I think that the show would change too much and the audience would find something else to watch.

Howard and Bernadette get lots of screen time away from 4A/B in fact it is sometimes like two separate shows mixed together

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Yeah of course, depending on who left that kind of determines what would happen and what options you would have going forward if you wanted to keep the show going.

I don't think they have any options. They will or could try, but the main, popular characters are who the majority of the fans want to see. Without them, they will start losing the fan base. Once they are gone, that's the end. Of course this my opinion not fact. I could very well be wrong. That won't be the first time.:icon_cheesygrin:

2 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Howard and Bernadette get lots of screen time away from 4A/B in fact it is sometimes like two separate shows mixed together

Ehh, not so much. They can easily be written off.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

The consensus seemed to be that working with babies takes forever to film. 

How about working with animals? I'd like the show to bring back the lab monkeys. I particularly liked the scene where Amy's smoking monkey blew smoke in Sheldon's face. I wonder how long that took to film.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't think they have any options. They will or could try, but the main, popular characters are who the majority of the fans want to see. Without them, they will start losing the fan base. Once they are gone, that's the end. Of course this my opinion not fact. I could very well be wrong. That won't be the first time.:icon_cheesygrin:

I think they have options personally, tv fans can be fickle some shows never recover from cast changes or departures but a rare few have been known to still be successful. I would have to see what format they came up with should someone leave but again like I said it's not my personal preference, that will always be what we have now :)

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

How about working with animals? I'd like the show to bring back the lab monkeys. I particularly liked the scene where Amy's smoking monkey blew smoke in Sheldon's face. I wonder how long that took to film.

The smoke was added in by computer, it wasnt even a real sigarette.

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I think they have options personally, tv fans can be fickle some shows never recover from cast changes or departures but a rare few have been known to still be successful. I would have to see what format they came up with should someone leave but again like I said it's not my personal preference, that will always be what we have now :)

Their options is a less than desired show. IMHO, it'll be like 2 and a half men, Charlie Sheen replaced, the show went down hill, It wasn't as good or funny. Chuck Lorre will not relive that and neither will CBS. My opinion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chucky said:

Their options is a less than desired show. IMHO, it'll be like 2 and a half men, Charlie Sheen replaced, the show went down hill, It wasn't as good or funny. Chuck Lorre will not relive that and neither will CBS. My opinion.

I would have to see the format in this hypothetical scenario, I could easily find myself thinking this won't work but it does considering the prowess of the people behind it.

Anyway I think we just have to wait and see what happens. If the show ends at 12, gets renewed with all the cast or with some losses, a change in format or setting, or perhaps as a spin-off.

There will be a strong urge to keep it going in some way.

• Like 2