Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

Hasn't Amy been waiting for that to happen for years

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Some movement has been made.

• Like 4

Maybe whoever needs money tries getting a raise or a bonus? Gablehouser would be more appropriate for that but they don't seem to care much for appropriate responsibilities, it's more about the guest star they get (see Mrs. Davis).

Sorry I just like guessing haha

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Hasn't Amy been waiting for that to happen for years

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hey, at least Sheldon has shown some progress, he does hold her hand in public now. :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shanban said:

President Siebert is gonna be back in last night’s taped episode!

9C1954F6-25E0-4F57-9E0E-9FD7E6BA7FD2.jpeg

UnimportantPeskyBeardeddragon-max-1mb.gi

35 minutes ago, bfm said:

Maybe whoever needs money tries getting a raise or a bonus? Gablehouser would be more appropriate for that but they don't seem to care much for appropriate responsibilities, it's more about the guest star they get (see Mrs. Davis).

Sorry I just like guessing haha

I am thrilled Pres Siebert is returning. Was such a big part of the earlier years. Wish Gaulbenhieser would return though. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

UnimportantPeskyBeardeddragon-max-1mb.gi

I am thrilled Pres Siebert is returning. Was such a big part of the earlier years. Wish Gaulbenhieser would return though. 

President Siebert and Dr. Gablehouser were such important cogs in the CalTech infrastructure. I can't believe that one or both weren't involved in Episode 11/2 for Leonard's debacle. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

That interesting because on the show Laura gets married in a White Dress  By the way that is very true, even in my great-great-grandmother time when she married (1913) that how it was: Woke Up, Went to a  Church (or JOTP) and Got Married with at least  couple witnesses and afterwards went home with your new spouse to the farm.  They may have been a small dinner party with likely a small group of Family at the bride's House but not some big lavish reception that is so common now. 

People also didn't go on a Honeymoon like they do now 

As I recall from reading the Little House books a long time ago, there was no chance of a honeymoon : Laura and Almanzo had chores  to do before they went to bed.  They couldn't have left animals unfed for a start. Since they were pioneers and lived about as far as anyone had been at the time, there would have been nowhere for them to go anyway. I do think they had a bit of a do though, with Paw playing his fiddle.

Amy's version of LMOTP is the television version, white dress and all. We don't even know if she read the books.

The white dress custom was introduced by one of  Queen Victoria's daughters. Quite late really. The razmattazz for a public  'Royal Wedding ' was coming in with the introduction of easily-produced photographs and memorabilia, cheaper newspapers, day trips to the capital and so on.  Until fabric became cheap enough thanks to technology, most people wouldn't have gone to the expense of making a garment that they could only wear once  for a special occasion.  It seems to have caught on worldwide eventually, including I'd guess on the East Coast of the USA,  but  I can't see  those families  whose parents and grandparents had gone west in covered wagons wanting to waste resources on anything like that. I'd be interested to know.

The style of dress, with everything covered, including the face with a veil, was introduced by Catherine of Aragon. It was black and reflected the Spanish fashions of the time which had Moorish influences from North Africa. Those who could afford it copied it at the time. It went in and out of fashion for generations.

Honeymoons in one form or another date back to Old Testament times but have a lot to do with  social norms, affordability, and convenience. Before the spread of railways it seems to have been mainly the very upper classes with their carriages who did the 'wedding journey' as referred to in the literature of the time, such as Jane Eyre. 

My parents,who were married in 1944, went to stay with an aunt in a suburb of Birmingham ( England's second city after London) because the bombing there appeared to be over. It was probably as far as rationed petrol would take them if they wanted to see some of the countryside around. No point in going to the seaside because beaches were still covered in mines and barbed wire and hotels were requisitioned.

Thanks to improved air travel ( and, we hope, peace, but six weeks is a long time ) it'll be about as easy for Sheldon to choose York where the railway museum is and Amy will like the ancient buildings and so on, as it was for my parents to drive about 30 miles.  They can then get trains to Canterbury - although Sheldon won't want to walk to Walsingham, so perhaps they'll go on to Oxford or somewhere he might be allowed to steer a  boat.

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

As I recall from reading the Little House books a long time ago, there was no chance of a honeymoon : Laura and Almanzo had chores  to do before they went to bed.  They couldn't have left animals unfed for a start. Since they were pioneers and lived about as far as anyone had been at the time, there would have been nowhere for them to go anyway. I do think they had a bit of a do though, with Paw playing his fiddle.

Amy's version of LMOTP is the television version, white dress and all. We don't even know if she read the books.

The white dress custom was introduced by one of  Queen Victoria's daughters. Quite late really. The razmattazz for a public  'Royal Wedding ' was coming in with the introduction of easily-produced photographs and memorabilia, cheaper newspapers, day trips to the capital and so on.  Until fabric became cheap enough thanks to technology, most people wouldn't have gone to the expense of making a garment that they could only wear once  for a special occasion.  It seems to have caught on worldwide eventually, including I'd guess on the East Coast of the USA,  but  I can't see  those families  whose parents and grandparents had gone west in covered wagons wanting to waste resources on anything like that. I'd be interested to know.

The style of dress, with everything covered, including the face with a veil, was introduced by Catherine of Aragon. It was black and reflected the Spanish fashions of the time which had Moorish influences from North Africa. Those who could afford it copied it at the time. It went in and out of fashion for generations.

Honeymoons in one form or another date back to Old Testament times but have a lot to do with  social norms, affordability, and convenience. Before the spread of railways it seems to have been mainly the very upper classes with their carriages who did the 'wedding journey' as referred to in the literature of the time, such as Jane Eyre. 

My parents,who were married in 1944, went to stay with an aunt in a suburb of Birmingham ( England's second city after London) because the bombing there appeared to be over. It was probably as far as rationed petrol would take them if they wanted to see some of the countryside around. No point in going to the seaside because beaches were still covered in mines and barbed wire and hotels were requisitioned.

Thanks to improved air travel ( and, we hope, peace, but six weeks is a long time ) it'll be about as easy for Sheldon to choose York where the railway museum is and Amy will like the ancient buildings and so on, as it was for my parents to drive about 30 miles.  They can then get trains to Canterbury - although Sheldon won't want to walk to Walsingham, so perhaps they'll go on Oxford or somewhere he might be allowed to steer a  boat.

Very Interesting indeed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidergirl said:

President Siebert is gonna be back in last night’s taped episode!

AWESOME...I love that character. I've really missed him,

• Like 7

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

As I recall from reading the Little House books a long time ago, there was no chance of a honeymoon : Laura and Almanzo had chores to do before they went to bed.  They couldn't have left animals unfed for a start. Since they were pioneers and lived about as far as anyone had been at the time, there would have been nowhere for them to go anyway. I do think they had a bit of a do though, with Paw playing his fiddle.

No, the White Wedding Dress custom was first introduced by Queen Victoria herself not one of her daughters. Queen Victoria was the first women to wear a white dress at her Wedding in 1840  and it soon spread among  Women of the English Aristocracy 

If anything Queen Victoria daughters introduced it to Europe.  Victoria daughter-in-law who married the Prince of Wales in 1863 wore a white dress. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

No, the White Wedding Dress custom was first introduced by Queen Victoria herself not one of her daughters. Queen Victoria was the first women to wear a white dress at her Wedding in 1840  and it soon spread among  Women of the English Aristocracy 

If anything Queen Victoria daughters introduced it to Europe.  Victoria daughter-in-law who married the Prince of Wales in 1863 wore a white dress

You're right. I was mixing it up with later events.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

You're right. I was mixing it up with later events.

No problem. I have read a lot of books on Queen Victoria and Royal History.  

What interesting is When my 4th great-grandmother got married in Norway in 1860 she wore a white dress. It wasn't a wedding Dress" but form the picture I have seen it looks like it was a  very nice dress considering she was pretty poor.  It looks more like a wedding dress (In terms of modern thinking) than the one her Granddaughter (my great-great grandmother) wore at her wedding which was White. So both look nice. 

My great-great grandmother wedding dress was a typical 1910s(Edwardian) fashion where the dress went up to her neck. I think it called a necklace. But it was very common at the time. I have a  regular portrait photo of her from around the same time and it was the same thing. 

I think Queen Alexandra (Queen Elizabeth grandmother) started that fashion trend of wearing dresses that ent up to the neckline 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Yes, You are right. I don't think Amy has actually ever read the books which are more true to Laura Ingalls Wilder Life then the one on TV. But even the books have some fiction in it. Michael Landon was criticised for straying from the book. His response was (asking f people have actually read the book) that there an entire chapter on how to make Apple Stroodle and that it would make for a boring episode saying that one would want to watch a whole 48 Minute Episode of Caroline making Apple  Stroodle. He felt that the book had too many boring parts in it and the Show had to be more exciting.  I will say that the first book is kind of boring. 

I think the real Laura Ingalls would be happy that a show was made based (loosely) on her books but would have had problems with some aspect of the show and some of it (more adult) storylines and that lots of things were made up 

Lots of people have watched the show (like Amy) but have never read the books or read up on Laura Ingalls Wilder real life and so they think the show very accurate portrayal of her life. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Yes, You are right. I don't think Amy has actually ever read the books which are more true to Laura Ingalls Wilder Life then the one on TV. But even the books have some fiction in it. Michael Landon was criticised for straying from the book. His response was (asking f people have actually read the book) that there an entire chapter on how to make Apple Stroodle and that it would make for a boring episode saying that one would want to watch a whole 48 Minute Episode of Caroline making Apple  Stroodle. He felt that the book had too many boring parts in it and the Show had to be more exciting.  I will say that the first book is kind of boring. 

I think the real Laura Ingalls would be happy that a show was made based (loosely) on her books but would have had problems with some aspect of the show and some of it (more adult) storylines and that lots of things were made up 

Lots of people have watched the show (like Amy) but have never read the books or read up on Laura Ingalls Wilder real life and so they think the show very accurate portrayal of her life. 

I can see Amy having read the books, watched the show and enjoyed aspects of both. I can think of a few tv adaptations of books that are very different but still enjoyable.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I can see Amy having read the books, watched the show and enjoyed aspects of both. I can think of a few tv adaptations of books that are very different but still enjoyable.

But she has never mentioned reading the book only watching the show. As far as we know she has not read the book.  

• Like 2
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

19 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Thank you for this hint! (btw. as a music enthusiast I find Gaiman’s friendship with Tori Amos very interesting, 'cause I like Tori pretty much.) :shy:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, luminous said:

Press release for episode 11.21 "The Comet Polarization"

Source: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/the-big-bang-theory/releases/view?id=49902

...and press release for episode 11.22 "The Monetary Insufficiency"

Source: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/the-big-bang-theory/releases/view?id=49905

Wow, as usual, you never disappoint us with your postings. Now I can't wait to see these episodes.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, joyceraye said:

A German woman. Secretary to the colonel and the captain. Yelled ' COME IN'. Courted by  Herr Flick but married Lieutenant Hubert Gruber the little tank driver.

Now I know who you are talking about. Helga Geerhart.

I loved Allo Allo, and Kim Hartman is gorgeous.

7625059490_0325ef0360_b.jpg

:maninlove:

21 hours ago, Carm6773 said:

What about Half Germans? :shy:

Can you be half German?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bfm said:

But the synopsis could be misleading. If she does deserve exclusive credit I hope Leonard supports her against Raj.

You know he will. I think he still has bad feelings for Raj after that time Rai lived with Lenny and that time Raj drunkenly slept with Penny.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2