[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

12 hours ago, luminous said:

here's the video

She said she reads comments and passes some of them on.

13 hours ago, luminous said:

Somehow Jim does not seem to age. 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched this video from WhatCulture. Ten problems Tbbt faces moving forward. Makes some solid points. Points that stood out too me. 

Young Sheldon:

Suggesting it's a huge risk. I mean remember Joey? YS airs right after Tbbt. So clearly they are using Tbbt lead in to springboard YS. Not to mention most of S11 we'll probably be used as a marketing platform for YS. So it's a huge risk. And if it's absolutely terrible. It we'll impact badly on the mothership show. It we'll add a dissociative bad feelings to the main show.

The Raj Displacement:

Since they added Amy and Bernadette. And the show became more relationship focused. Rajs role in the show has kinda become secondary. Because you know Raj can't find anyone lol. And it we'll prob continue this season. With Raj/Burt house share storyline. How much of this effects the show. Remains to be seen. If it's seen from the eyes of other characters. Like it was with Howard and Mrs Wolowitz. Could be pretty funny. But if it gets into its own Odd Couple dynamic. Where it frequently getting it's own subplots. Then we'll where back to Raj being a third wheel to Three Couples.

The Hailey Inclusion:

Adding a child to an already established show. Is always risky. As it dictates the kinda stories you want to tell. If the show sticks to the narrative and timeline. Of one season one year. Then we'll we've got a fully fledged child on our hands. Could be a death kill to the series. 

The Character Saturation

With Burt possibly being added. That means 9 possible characters. It becomes a problem. Showing depth with all the characters. 

The Characterization Completion:

On many sitcoms story archs is a huge part of the series. We've Seen the characters evolve so much. Howard from creepy candy coating to family man. Penny from hot girl next door to Domesticated Housewife. Amy has come out of her shell. Leonard married Penny. This creates a problem As the characters have mostly reached their full development. This could lead the show to becoming stale. And maybe try stuff like breaking the couples up. Pissing the fanbases off. 

The Domestication Connundrum:

The show has gone from a group of friendships. To where domestication has taken centre stage. Relationship Quivvels, Living Arrangements etc. Is a world away from the geek/nerd culture of yesteryears. Not that theirs anything wrong with this. But their becomes the fear of over familiarity. Now the guidance system is finalised. Let's hope theirs less nappy changing. And more experimenting.

And over saturation. Ala Too much Sheldon :D. Tbbt was fresh and unique. Which was a big part of its success. Now it's part of the furniture. It's on in most countries 6 times a week. I know in NZ it's on 3 times a week. All reruns. And especially with US ratings. You combine online streaming. Tbbt every now and then has it's funny moments. But it's definitely lost its spark. Which is the case with most shows. When they become repetitive. That's where over saturation becomes an issue. Therefore it's not must watch anymore. Which is kinda happening already lol.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Watched this video from WhatCulture. Ten problems Tbbt faces moving forward. Makes some solid points. Points that stood out too me. 

Young Sheldon:

Suggesting it's a huge risk. I mean remember Joey? YS airs right after Tbbt. So clearly using Tbbt lead in to springboard YS. It's a huge risk thought. And if it's absolutely 

terrible. It we'll impact badly on the mothership show. It we'll add a dissociative bad feelings to the main show.

The Raj Displacement:

Since they added Amy and Bernadette. And the show became more relationship focused. Rajs role in the show has kinda become secondary. Because you know Raj can't find anyone lol. And it we'll prob continue this season. With Raj/Burt house share storyline. How much of this effects the show. Remains to be seen. If it's seen from the eyes of other characters. Like it was with Howard and Mrs Wolowitz. Could be pretty funny. But if it gets into its own Odd Couple dynamic. Where it frequently getting it's own subplots. Then we'll where back to Raj being a third wheel to Three Couples.

The Hailey Inclusion:

Adding a child to an already established show. Is always risky. As it dictates the kinda stories you want to tell. If the show sticks to the narrative and timeline. Of one season one year. Then we'll we've got a fully fledged child on our hands. Could be a death kill to the series. 

The Character Saturation

With Burt possibly being added. That means 9 possible characters. It becomes a problem. Showing depth with all the characters. 

The Characterization Completion:

On many sitcoms story archs is a huge part of the series. We've Seen the characters evolve so much. Howard from creepy candy coating to family man. Penny from hot girl next door to Domesticated Housewife. Amy has come out of her shell. Leonard married Penny. This creates a problem As the characters have mostly reached their full development. This could lead the show to becoming stale. And maybe try stuff like breaking the couples up. Passing the fanbases off. 

The Domestication Connundrum:

The show has gone from a group of friendship. To where domestication has taken centre stage. Relationship Quivvels, Living Arrangements etc. Is a world away from the geek/nerd culture of yesteryears. Not that theirs anything wrong with this. But their becomes the fear of over familiarity. Not the guidance system is finalised. That their less nappy changing. And more experimenting.

And over saturation. Ala Too much Sheldon :D.

Clearly some valid points in that video. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mirs1 said:

The board behind them is very full...new scientific project in sight for the guys?

Quite possible, the writers have talked about giving them a new project now that the guidance system has ended. I am sure I read an article somewhere that said they might try and get Raj involved in some way on the next project. But if they are brainstorming on a board I would have expected it in 4A and not 4B.

Could be something to do with Shamy's project, now that she is back from Princeton we might get a resumption of their project.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

A new project? Moan. Sorry just have them do a Halo game night. Anything that's not them working on something. Then having it snatched from them. Or Sheldon and Leonard working on something. And Sheldon takes all the credit e.tc.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

A new project? Moan. Sorry just have them do a Halo game night. Anything that's not them working on something. Then having it snatched from them. Or Sheldon and Leonard working on something. And Sheldon takes all the credit e.tc.

The writers raised the idea of a new project in an interview somewhere so we will see if it happens or not. I never really got into the guidance project, hell the Shamy project was way more interesting to me and I only saw one episode really about it and some other scenes in others.

Another new project vs paintball or halo nights? Give me the games lol.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

Clearly some valid points in that video. 

I liked Joey. I used to download it every week. It didn't reach any main channels here. I thought it could have done well if they hadn't messed about with it.

I thought the clips in the Whatculture video showed that TBBT still has life. I wouldn't have liked to watch a comedy about four forty-year-old bachelors playing games together, eating takeaways together, moaning to one another about how they can't get laid. Funny-peculiar men making lives for themselves with funny-peculiar women yet remaining friends based on shared interests and shared development I can take. It only makes sense because I know what their shared history was.

Raj isn't in a house share with Bert. He made that point clearly. Bert only has an apartment anyway. Raj will have what sounds like a grannyflat over Bert's garage until he's free and clear financially. Changes happen suddenly to Raj. He might find his finances fixed overnight. He could then perhaps afford to go to Dr Gallow and turn himself into less of a jerk.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I liked Joey. I used to download it every week. It didn't reach any main channels here. I thought it could have done well if they hadn't messed about with it.

I thought the clips in the Whatculture video showed that TBBT still has life. I wouldn't have liked to watch a comedy about four forty-year-old bachelors playing games together, eating takeaways together, moaning to one another about how they can't get laid. Funny-peculiar men making lives for themselves with funny-peculiar women yet remaining friends based on shared interests and shared development I can take. It only makes sense because I know what their shared history was.

Raj isn't in a house share with Bert. He made that point clearly. Bert only has an apartment anyway. Raj will have what sounds like a grannyflat over Bert's garage until he's free and clear financially. Changes happen suddenly to Raj. He might find his finances fixed overnight. He could then perhaps afford to go to Dr Gallow and turn himself into less of a jerk.

Well said. :shy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Quite possible, the writers have talked about giving them a new project now that the guidance system has ended. I am sure I read an article somewhere that said they might try and get Raj involved in some way on the next project. But if they are brainstorming on a board I would have expected it in 4A and not 4B.

Could be something to do with Shamy's project, now that she is back from Princeton we might get a resumption of their project.

I hope it's the Shamy project. The guys lost theirs three episodes ago and if I were a writer I would want to wait a bit before I put them in front of boards again for the sake of variety. The last time we saw Shamy work on their project was in 10.20 so it's high time we saw them work on it again. If the guest star is about the project getting attention, even better.

• Like 4
  • Koala Face 1

36 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I think the points were saying tbbt has major problems moving forward. But they are not,detrimental. And s10 showed enough life. They could potentially show fresh ideas.

As for Raj/Bert yes your right. But i think the videos point was. Is Raj going to get an plots this season. Tbbt is more Rules of Engagement these days. Then we'll the Tbbt. So he is kinda sidelined. Well they fix that? Who knows. Is it going to be a Odd Couple set up. With their own subplots? Well we see it from the point of view of other characters? I don't know. I don't think anyone (well not Lennys anyway lol) wants Raj hanging out with three couples again. 

I think a lot of episodes last year started becoming very repetitive. So that is an issue moving forward. Not falling into the trap of repeated cannon. And in terms of character development. Not so much growth left. So as for life still left in the show. It's running on fumes imo. I don't think WC were suggesting. It starr portraying a bunch of fourty year olds playing video games. But these characters aren't old persay. Let's put the relationships in the backseat for a while. And have some fun plots. Guys and Girls plots are always fun. Bring Paintball back. Games nights are always fun. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bfm said:

There is the possibility that Raj will become third to Shamy for some episodes if they get him involved in the wedding preparations...

Good point. It's what Raj loves to do but they'd have to curb his extremes. I can't see Sheldon wanting his brother to be the Best Man. My money's on Leonard. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joyceraye said:

Good point. It's what Raj loves to do but they'd have to curb his extremes. I can't see Sheldon wanting his brother to be the Best Man. My money's on Leonard. 

If they make George Jr. the best man it would be such an obvious commercial move... I can see that hapenning...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I dunno, George sounded like a nasty piece of work and Sheldon was not at all close to him (granted this was the canon before the other show aired).

Honestly I have zero feel for how they are going to do a Shamy wedding and considering their track record when it comes to doing these type of things (let's be honest they have been a bit shit) it might not be anything like some of us might have expected.

My expectations are low, but I know they will be happy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I don 't recall even hearing about Joey.

I think I have heard most of the points already in this forum. The issues created by success are kind of badges of success. Taking risks would have been a issue in season six when they were at the top as they could have wrecked a good thing. Taking risks now is kind of inevitable as they have less to loose and issues mounting. Like a hail mary pass at the end of a game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

I dunno, George sounded like a nasty piece of work and Sheldon was not at all close to him (granted this was the canon before the other show aired).

Honestly I have zero feel for how they are going to do a Shamy wedding and considering their track record when it comes to doing these type of things (let's be honest they have been a bit shit) it might not be anything like some of us might have expected.

Ironically the shows best wedding was Howardette. That went off without a hitch. But when it came to the original and centre piece Couple Lenny. It was an absolute train wreck. So who knows what happens with Shamys wedding. I always presumed Lenny would get married in the final episode. And maybe they should of. Because If the past two seasons have proven anything, they clearly suck at writing married couples. Well Lenny anyway. When it comes to Lenny, they are absolutely clueless. But clearly that didn't happen. So I do agree with DJ ^. In the fact tptb we'll need to take more risks. The shows amazing success has kinda backed  them in a corner. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

One thing that won't happen at a Shamy wedding, There will be no annoying interruptions from a self absorbed whack job.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Run to India 1

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Ironically the shows best wedding was Howardette. That went off without a hitch. But when it came to the original and centre piece Couple Lenny. It was an absolute train wreck. So who knows what happens with Shamys wedding. I always presumed Lenny would get married in the final episode. And maybe they should of. Because If the past two seasons have proven anything, they clearly suck at writing married couples. Well Lenny anyway. When it comes to Lenny, they are absolutely clueless. But clearly that didn't happen. So I do agree with DJ ^. In the fact tptb we'll need to take more risks. The shows amazing success has kinda backed  them in a corner. 

I totally agree that the best wedding was Howardette and that both Lenny weddings were a train wreck. I couldn't stand either one. They never should have done the first one. If you fight all the way to your elopement, you should not go through with it. The whole kiss on the boat scenario was awful. And the second was was ruined for me by the horrible casting of Penny's brother and the drug and alcohol jokes. Can't we lay off jokes about or with Penny and drinking?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, Jonny said:

If they can show Bernie's parents they can show Amy's. No excuses in my mind.

Something I thought about a few days ago:  Bernie supposedly has all these siblings, and her parents live nearby.  How come we didn't see any of them come over to the house to help Bernie when she was stressing out right after she had Halley?  Will we see any of them now that she will have two in diapers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I totally agree that the best wedding was Howardette and that both Lenny weddings were a train wreck. I couldn't stand either one. They never should have done the first one. If you fight all the way to your elopement, you should not go through with it. The whole kiss on the boat scenario was awful. And the second was was ruined for me by the horrible casting of Penny's brother and the drug and alcohol jokes. Can't we lay off jokes about or with Penny and drinking?

Yeah i personally think they got engaged too soon. And never should of got married after 8.24. They needed time out. I think part of the reason past two seasons, the tone with Lenny at times has been well snarky. Is the foundation of their marriage was so bad. Entering into a marriage under false pretences. Was not good. I Didn't like the brother too. The actor was very good in 30 Rock. I just think in this case it was a miscast. He felt to detached for a former drug dealer. I felt DJ Qualls S1 The Loobenfeld Decay. Was better written, and better casted. I felt they should of for once allowed Lenny to have their isolated moment. Instead of Sheldon sticking his Mantis where I didn't belong.

I expected the drug/alcohol jokes though. They always play on the promiscuous jokes with Penny. And Pennys drinking seems to be more domesticated these days anyway. So hopefully in s11 they drop these jokes. And the tone with Penny is less snarky, and more light hearted and fluffy. Particularly towards Leonard. And if the show is insisting Lenny are happy. Show it. Don't reference they are offscreen. I did like the idea of Luke Cage. That seems more fresh and original to me. Anything that's not incongruous jokes. New and Fresh. I would even past for them on a couch with a blanket. Watching a movie. I mean I don't know about anyone else. But I don't watch shows to see what happens offscreen. Unless this is Chronicles of Narnia :icon_wink:.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Tensor pinned this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unpinned this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic