[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

7 hours ago, GivesAWhit said:

Aw, djsurrey, I do feel so for you! You love Star Wars so much, it would please you no end if joyceraye could get an inkling of your delight and excitement! I'm not really interested in Star Wars, but I am familiar with the first film and those characters. I also have a more than passing knowledge of Doctor Who. Perhaps we should host a getting-to-know-them viewing party where members share favorite moments from favorite franchises. 

(Psst! joyceraye - how if you give the poor chap a thrill and look at the links he posted? :wink:)

:icon_razz: I'm good. Some are fans and some are not. My reaction was kind of muted compared to Mayim's.

Frankly I was drawn into being a fan because the excitement is kind of contagious. I had mixed feeling about the original movie. It was my cousin who dragged me to the ESB who went on about the details of the props and special effects that really got me caught up in this being a big thing.

Anyway what Mayim said sounds so encouraging....

The season finale of season 11 of The Big Bang Theory has Mark Hamill in it. Square in it. A lot. Many many scenes. Like, prepare yourself to see him in a new light. As I have. He has got sitcom chops. Killer timing. A terrific sense of humor.

Perhaps I will have a new favorite episode.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Gaiman is pretty famous in the sci-fi, and dark fantasy community and he has even dabbled in the horror genres. He's a Hugo and Nebula winner, the most prestigious awards in Science Fiction.

American Gods, a popular current tv series is based on his novels.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bfm said:

The way Leonard said...../

So if Penny did bad things as a teenager she should be punished for life?

Thanks, I agree with your posting.
And in relation to your last sentence: It's like when someone meets me with the words: Oh, you used to have (blablabla)...and I'll just point out that I used to shit in diapers, too.
Same bs as the stupid phrase: Once a cheater, always a cheater or something like this.  :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, veejay said:

Thanks, I agree with your posting.
It's like when someone meets me with the words: You used to have (blablabla)...and I'll just point out that I used to shit in diapers, too.
Same bs as the stupid phrase: Once a cheater, always a cheater or something like this.  :shy:

Spot on accurate. 

2 hours ago, bfm said:

The way Leonard said "she knows I have a girlfriend..." suggests she did know before and should have known that it won't be okay to ask him out. She suggested Penny to join only for him to accepg her offer and later talked about lunch/dinner/coffee (don't remember exactly) which made Leonard cause the fall of the Jenga tower, meaning he understood that she was asking him out.

As for Lenny commonalities, yes that has been beaten to death and that is why I won't elaborate my counter-arguments right now, I had done that so many times. I agree they seem not to have common interests and hobbies, and it would be great if the writers showed us something they like doing together, but interests and hobvies are not all there is. I think Leonard and Penny have a similar attitude, which you can see in their reactions to the things that happen or are told on the show. I'd say there are many scenes in which you could switch their lines, perhaps with a slight change of wording, and no one would notice. They're both generally compassionate and caring, with the occasional lack of compassion outweighted by all the times they do show compassion, kindness and caring. They both bust on their friends and on each other but to a point, Howard and Berbadette usually go further (a good example is the way both couples react to Raj being out of his former apartment). They also have a similar sense of humor. 

Another thing relates to what Penny does not show, which is also what makes me see her in a different way than you (i.e., not a "cardboard", that description IMO would fit seasons 1-2). Penny cares a lot about presenting a cool, strong image, hence she hides her more vulnerable sides. Of course she is far from being as insecure as Leonard but she has her own share of insecurities and feelings of unworthiness. While with Leonard these feelings are all out there she hides them or masks them with anger. My guess is we'll agree to disagree on Penny.

I guess there are cultural differences here. To me "dating" could mean not exclusive while "girlfriend-boyfriend" means exclusive. I think the way Leonard said Alex knew he had a girlfriend means he thought she was not supposed to ask him out.

I can’t begin to “like” this enough! We need a cow 🐄 over the moon 🌙 emoji, because that’s where I am!!!!

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, hokie3457 said:

To me "dating" could mean not exclusive while "girlfriend-boyfriend" means exclusive.

To me dating is boyfriend/girlfriend and exclusive, unless otherwise stipulated. There is a big difference between dating a woman and having them as a friend. You can have all the friends you want, male or female. But you're only dating one, as I said, unless it is so stipulated prior to dating.

I think at this stage we  can all agree  the  chararacters have  done all pretty crappy things. Does that mean Penny should b punished all her life  no? Sheldon done som pretty crappy things to Leonard ova the years too. Leonard and Penny were  obvious dating in S6 had been at that point for 2 years. So yeah they were  exlcusive.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I think at this stage we  can all agree  the  chararacters have  done all pretty crappy things. Does that mean Penny should b punished all her life  no? Sheldon done som pretty crappy things to Leonard ova the years too. Leonard and Penny were  obvious dating in S6 had been at that point for 2 years. So yeah they were  exlcusive.

Howard and Raj have done some creepy things to Penny. Like, Listening to her sexual attempts through the walls among other things. Of course that was pre Bernadette.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GivesAWhit said:

You did not hear her speak of her famous father or Leonard's recognition of his name, express admiration for Leonard as a scientist, explain that she declined a prestigious post to work for Sheldon, invite Leonard to a lecture about which they were both excited, hear Penny complain that Alex laughed too much at Leonard's jokes, or Amy's analysis of Alex's flirtatious body language, etc., etc., etc.?

Watch the episodes again - there is considerable meat on those bones.

I think a lot of people here under estimate the writers. They might not like every thing (or arc) they write, but they are smart. Someone upstream said that Leonard found people like his mother to surround himself with (Penny/Sheldon). Actually, Beverly was created because of how Sheldon and Penny treated Leonard. The writers, at some point, saw the dynamic of Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Leonard and wrote Beverly (and Leonard's backstory) to grow into his current dynamics.

14 hours ago, chucky said:

Steady I believe evolved into exclusive. She knew he had a girlfriend, she should have talked to him about how serious the relationship was before she hit on him. If anything, that's good manners and saves hurt feelings and maybe bodily harm.

She (Alex) is under no obligation to Penny to "check into" any relationship Leonard might be in. She wasn't Penny's friend going behind her back. She has no allegiance to Penny nor Leonard. She is open to make an advance and then see what becomes of it. If Leonard rejects her, then she's still under no obligation to Penny to try to pursue it a little more. It's up to Leonard to stop it. He's obligated to Penny to control HIS actions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBang15 said:

I think a lot of people here under estimate the writers. They might not like every thing (or arc) they write, but they are smart. Someone upstream said that Leonard found people like his mother to surround himself with (Penny/Sheldon). Actually, Beverly was created because of how Sheldon and Penny treated Leonard. The writers, at some point, saw the dynamic of Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Leonard and wrote Beverly (and Leonard's backstory) to grow into his current dynamics.

She (Alex) is under no obligation to Penny to "check into" any relationship Leonard might be in. She wasn't Penny's friend going behind her back. She has no allegiance to Penny nor Leonard. She is open to make an advance and then see what becomes of it. If Leonard rejects her, then she's still under no obligation to Penny to try to pursue it a little more. It's up to Leonard to stop it. He's obligated to Penny to control HIS actions.

If she doesn't, I can easily see Penny going all Nebraska on her and giving her a world of hurt. Alex must have figured that out because after that episode, (6/12), we didn't had any sign of her hitting on Leonard.

Edited by chucky

1 hour ago, BigBang15 said:

He is. Just like last night episode he was obligated IMO to Penny. Except last night we saw Penny take care of Raj. What happened with Alex we will never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

I disagree.  If she was aware he was in a relationship, and she pursues him, it simply makes her a complete bitch(and to tamp down on any complaints, for any guys that do the same thing, they are complete bastards).  I'm sure if I started pursuing any woman  in a relationship around here, their significant others would have no problem with me, knowing it's up to their partner.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, bfm said:

The way Leonard said "she knows I have a girlfriend..." suggests she did know before and should have known that it won't be okay to ask him out. She suggested Penny to join only for him to accepg her offer and later talked about lunch/dinner/coffee (don't remember exactly) which made Leonard cause the fall of the Jenga tower, meaning he understood that she was asking him out.

As for Lenny commonalities, yes that has been beaten to death and that is why I won't elaborate my counter-arguments right now, I had done that so many times. I agree they seem not to have common interests and hobbies, and it would be great if the writers showed us something they like doing together, but interests and hobvies are not all there is. I think Leonard and Penny have a similar attitude, which you can see in their reactions to the things that happen or are told on the show. I'd say there are many scenes in which you could switch their lines, perhaps with a slight change of wording, and no one would notice. They're both generally compassionate and caring, with the occasional lack of compassion outweighted by all the times they do show compassion, kindness and caring. They both bust on their friends and on each other but to a point, Howard and Berbadette usually go further (a good example is the way both couples react to Raj being out of his former apartment). They also have a similar sense of humor. 

Another thing relates to what Penny does not show, which is also what makes me see her in a different way than you (i.e., not a "cardboard", that description IMO would fit seasons 1-2). Penny cares a lot about presenting a cool, strong image, hence she hides her more vulnerable sides. Of course she is far from being as insecure as Leonard but she has her own share of insecurities and feelings of unworthiness. While with Leonard these feelings are all out there she hides them or masks them with anger. My guess is we'll agree to disagree on Penny.

I guess there are cultural differences here. To me "dating" could mean not exclusive while "girlfriend-boyfriend" means exclusive. I think the way Leonard said Alex knew he had a girlfriend means he thought she was not supposed to ask him out.

When has she been punished at all?

2 minutes ago, Mislav said:

When was she not punished? Who knows. I think the word punished may not be the right word. I think her "checkered past" has been brought way too many times on the show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

She knows sheldon that a pretty big punishment in itself

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think Penny's past has been brought up mostly in a negative. I think the other characters past has been brought up in a sympathetic way.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

When was she not punished? Who knows. I think the word punished may not be the right word. I think her "checkered past" has been brought way too many times on the show.

She's bringing it up herself often enough. Like in the aforementioned "Speckerman" episode, or again during the brunch in "The Contractual Obligation Implementation", and later in season six when she and other girls are trying to give Raj a dating advice about Lucy, or when she admitted to sleeping with her boyfriend's brother in "The Vacation Solution", not to mention other times.

Edited by Tensor
Removed incorrect accusation. Reference to Penny was for her sexual activities

12 minutes ago, Mislav said:

She's bringing it up herself often enough. Like in the aforementioned "Speckerman" episode, or again during the brunch in "The Contractual Obligation Implementation", and later in season six when she and other girls are trying to give Raj a dating advice about Lucy, or when she admitted to sleeping with her boyfriend's brother in "The Vacation Solution", not to mention other times.

Exactly, the show brings it up way too much.   Whether it's Penny or another characters doesn't matter.  It's like they believe there is something wrong with being sexual active.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Exactly, the show brings it up way too much.   Whether it's Penny or another characters doesn't matter.  It's like they believe there is something wrong with being sexual active.  

I think the writers believe it's a one comment and people forget about it. That's not the case. Its not just about her sexual activity either. But since were sort on that part the math as a previously poster mentioned doesn't add up when it comes to Penny. If Kurt was with Penny for four years after high school and then she moved in across the hall it seems to be impossible all the things she could of done in high school

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I think the writers believe it's a one comment and people forget about it. That's not the case. Its not just about her sexual activity either. But since were sort on that part the math as a previously poster mentioned doesn't add up when it comes to Penny. If Kurt was with Penny for four years after high school and then she moved in across the hall it seems to be impossible all the things she could of done in high school

I can definitely agree with yr post.  In the scene where she is talking with the girls and Raj she mentions some activities which was probably from high school and she tries to clarify them by saying "its a joke,  based on real events"  Why couldn't they leave it as just a joke instead of including based on real events? So you get the impression that these statements may be true. I never did get that these were funny.  And also the crack about being in a motel with a 34 yr old guy named Luther......very distasteful as she probably was a teenager at the time.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mislav said:

So if she weren't punished then she has to be punished years later when she's changed and hadn't done such things for years?

4 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I can definitely agree with yr post.  In the scene where she is talking with the girls and Raj she mentions some activities which was probably from high school and she tries to clarify them by saying "its a joke,  based on real events"  Why couldn't they leave it as just a joke instead of including based on real events? So you get the impression that these statements may be true. I never did get that these were funny.  And also the crack about being in a motel with a 34 yr old guy named Luther......very distasteful as she probably was a teenager at the time.

I guess the problem is we're just supposed to laugh at it as if it were just normal popular girls fun and you never hear what made this teenage girl to do all this stuff. Where were her parents when she was with that Luther guy? That is highly disturbing. What about warning her of being taken advantage of?

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I think the writers believe it's a one comment and people forget about it.

The problem with this is there are too many fans hear these one and done lines and don't forget. It's brought up in conversations all the time. Did she do some of these things, probably so, but she was a young popular girl in school following in the footsteps of older popular girls in school. Even though that wasn't the wisest things to do, but it's her life. She hasn't done any of the craziest things since she's been with Leonard. A change for the better.

• Like 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic