The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, April said:

Some of the translations are so terrible sometimes though

Yes, absolutely. I'm still not over this. (from "The Adhesive Duck Deficiency")

original:

Penny: Is that my arm?

Sheldon: It doesn’t feel like an arm.

Penny: Then, maybe you should let it go.

german dubbing:

Penny: Ist das mein Arm? (Is that my arm? )

Sheldon: Fühlt sich nicht an wie ein Arm. (Doesn’t feel like an arm.)

Penny: Dann nimm deine Hand da raus. (Then take your hand out of there.)

Really? Out of there? 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, veejay said:

I know (now), right. 😀

Oh thanks. 😀
I’ve never learned English at school. They’re punished me with ancient latin instead. Well, that’s a long time ago, but it butchered my language inquisitiveness for years.
And than came TBBT...LOL

Hahaha! I too was stuffed full of Latin! It did help me with the romance languages (and even my native English) though.

I know what you mean about something sparking your interest. I learned some Italian because I liked Italian opera and it annoyed me not to know what was happening. I think a lot of people learned or improved their English because of shows like TBBT, House, Sherlock and many other English language shows.

However, English speakers are MUCH less likely to explore another language or even try to. They can't even be bothered with subtitles most of the time. That is both puzzling and disappointing to me. 🤨

9 minutes ago, luminous said:

original:

german dubbing:

OMG, hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, April said:

Some of the translations are so terrible sometimes though and I don't like all of the voices.

Gotta say, although I watched the show on and off for years I hadn't really become a fan until I saw the originals.

There are terrible translations in subtitles too! I got used to not looking at the subtitles when I watch episode through national TV (i.e., not the web) 'cause it irks me so bad!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bfm said:

There are terrible translations in subtitles too! I got used to not looking at the subtitles when I watch episode through national TV (i.e., not the web) 'cause it irks me so bad!

True, for both dubbing and subtitles. Ugh. In addition, what about when something is left out altogether? A character speaks for 10 or 15 seconds but the subtitle is two words! Or you know the original language and notice the translation is missing something. This is a disaster when the missing bit is a flipping CLUE in a mystery show. :girlwerewolf:

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, luminous said:

original:

german dubbing:

Oh god yes! I still wonder where they thought his hand was... ??? O_o

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My mother tongue is English and I have yet to watch TBBT and understand everything until I can download the subtitles. Occasionally I have to wait until an episode is on British TV when they put up English rather than American subtitles. I take my hat off to anybody whose native language is something else.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

However, English speakers are MUCH less likely to explore another language or even try to. They can't even be bothered with subtitles most of the time. That is both puzzling and disappointing to me. 🤨

I'm guilty of this. There is so much to learn about my primary interests I have never felt I had time to explore other languages (with the exception of computer and programming languages).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I'm guilty of this. There is so much to learn about my primary interests I have never felt I had time to explore other languages (with the exception of computer and programming languages).

Therefore no shame to you djsurrey! Computer languages are just as complex as a lexicon brimming with dry rules of grammar. Those programming sequences require a very different but equally  demanding type of thinking.

Edited by GivesAWhit
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I know that well! 😀

39 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

My mother tongue is English and I have yet to watch TBBT and understand everything until I can download the subtitles. Occasionally I have to wait until an episode is on British TV when they put up English rather than American subtitles. I take my hat off to anybody whose native language is something else.

Just a little hint: 

TBBT Episode scripts

😀

Edited by veejay
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, veejay said:

I know that well! 😀

Just a little hint: 

TBBT Episode scripts

😀

Yes! Episode transcripts have many uses. In addition to your link, here are two other sites I have used in the past, but for some reason, neither one includes Series 11.  ¯\_(?)_/¯

https://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewforum.php?f=159&start=50

• Like 2

Hope everybody enjoys one of the last new episodes for this year. Can't wait to watch it.

• It's a Tiara 1

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Dress shopping and Vegas. What originality.

Why go against tried and true ways? 😉

1 hour ago, GivesAWhit said:

Yes! Episode transcripts have many uses. In addition to your link, here are two other sites I have used in the past, but for some reason, neither one includes Series 11.  ¯\_(?)_/¯

https://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewforum.php?f=159&start=50

Yeah, I know them too. But they haven't been updated for a long time now. The database in my link, on the other hand, is updated shortly (most within six hours) after every first broadcast of the lastes episode. 🖖 (a lot of weird new icons here, LOL)

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, veejay said:

Yeah, I know them too. But they haven't been updated for a long time now. The database in my link, on the other hand, is updated shortly (most within six hours) after every first broadcast of the lastes episode. 🖖 (a lot of weird new icons here, LOL)

I agree -  guess they just dropped the updates or maybe lost interest in TBBT?  Anyway, your link is the one I use now too.

Also agree about the icons.  602716380_owleyes.jpg.38a74f1d51da09c2cf2cf2330b8fdb28.jpg

Edited by GivesAWhit

10 minutes ago, chucky said:

Why go against tried and true ways? 😉

Siebert could of had another fundraiser and brought back Mrs. Latham.

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, luminous said:

original:

german dubbing:

Wow just lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Chrismo said:

To insult Sheldon or try to seduce Leonard? Better be insult Sheldon otherwise a certain may go all Nebraska on her. 😉

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

misc_365.gif.a3762a0f4e516a68a1d05faea6bbd00c.gif

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Koala Face 1

4 minutes ago, veejay said:

misc_365.gif.a3762a0f4e516a68a1d05faea6bbd00c.gif

😁

Kind of what I thought when they mentioned. How many storylines have they used Vegas?

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Kind of what I thought when they mentioned. How many storylines have they used Vegas?

Ask Penny! 😊

5 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Quick tangent - how many "comment" emoticons is one allowed per day? I've used a number of "laugh" ones today...

I’ve no idea. I like to built my own emojis.

LOL7.gif.38124c9c8c0ff57d53815f633801dac3.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Quick tangent - how many "comment" emoticons is one allowed per day? I've used a number of "laugh" ones today...

100 is the limit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, veejay said:

I’ve no idea. I like to built my own emojis.

I tend to use auxiliary images fairly often myself, so I suppose my allotment will hold up.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:17 AM, Jonny said:

Forgot to add it's not that I don't want to see Raj actually find happiness at the end, like the others find this special person he can settle down and live his life with because I really do want to see this for all of them. It's just I honestly don't see anyone out there for him on the horizon, he hasn't changed a bit he still treats women abysmally and he doesn't value or respect the opposite sex.

Until he takes a long hard look at himself and changes (it's much deeper than cutting off financial dependence from his parents and a haircut) I don't see where his future happiness lies.

I always liked the Katy Perry singing veterinarian that we saw on Valentines Day. It’s too bad they couldn’t keep her and develop her as a love interest.

I liked Emily too, I’m bummed we’ll never find out what was in her bedroom closet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1
  • Leonard Cupid 1