The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, April said:

100 is the limit.

Okay, thanks. So unless you folks are exceptionally "likable" or "funny" in a 24 hour period, that should do. Well, unless someone posts additional fractured translations. Then all bets are off, LOL!

1 minute ago, GivesAWhit said:

Okay, thanks. So unless you folks are exceptionally "likable" or "funny" in a 24 hour period, that should do. Well, unless someone posts additional fractured translations. Then all bets are off, LOL!

this  unrelated to anything you said but I want to see shamy married 2 weeks came come fast enough  need more Kleenex 

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, shamyarmy2016 said:

this  unrelated to anything you said but I want to see shamy married 2 weeks came come fast enough  need more Kleenex 

Another truckload just arrived...

1582872085_kleenextruck.jpg.8da9eade7ef91a765d6ac5e5eae9b039.jpg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Wow just lol

Quite interesting indeed!

2 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Another truckload just arrived...

1582872085_kleenextruck.jpg.8da9eade7ef91a765d6ac5e5eae9b039.jpg

I think the magic word is purell.

On 4/25/2018 at 3:17 AM, Jonny said:

His behaviour has annoyed and even disgusted me at times too so I can understand why you might feel that way. I genuinely haven't a clue what is going to happen with him in possibly the final season, I'm hoping he changes and gets a nice payoff from that change or it could simply be more of the same.

Someone once made a point to me that life has ups and downs, people seek happiness and fulfillment especially when it comes to relationships but some don't find it that easy even some never find it. They made the point to me that maybe that Raj is there to show that life is difficult and not everyone finds happiness. So yeah he might look like an 'outlier' when it comes to the theme of the show and you see almost all of them going from BF/GF to Man and Wife but maybe that's why Raj is there to kind of show the other side.

I dunno I hope at the end he finds some happiness.

I like Raj and still root for him to turnnit all around. He’s had Howard’s influence to guide him socially and with women, not exactly the best tone given the douchebag Howard was before he met Bernie. Howard grew up, but Raj is still stuck in that weird place (and without Howard as a wingman these days he’s left to figure it out).

Raj was a spoiled brat most of his life but has had some humble pie served up to him in the form of reduced finanaces and the loss of two girlfriends that his inflated ego mucked up. I had hoped that his time spent finding new living arrangements, and his success at the aquarium, would be a catalyst for some soul-searching and honest change. 

But then, we have the “lost drone” episode where Raj’s big mouth shows he still acts the same when it comes to women (sigh)....

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Quick tangent - how many "comment" emoticons is one allowed per day? I've used a number of "laugh" ones today...

Don't think that there is a set number. I'm sure if it is over done, you'll hear about it. ☺️

26 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I always liked the Katy Perry singing veterinarian that we saw on Valentines Day. It’s too bad they couldn’t keep her and develop her as a love interest.

I liked Emily too, I’m bummed we’ll never find out what was in her bedroom closet!

r_073.gif.b448b47766d70eb98ad9844688f59768.gif

This might be the steady problem for Raj. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

Don't think that there is a set number. I'm sure if it is over done, you'll hear about it. ☺️

Oh, because I've read people saying they were out of "likes" etc., for the day. IIRC, that only happened for really big news though.

• Like 1

Just now, GivesAWhit said:

Oh, because I've read people saying they were out of "likes" etc., for the day. IIRC, that only happened for really big news though.

I've used them a heck of a lot and nobody said anything. Maybe Tripper or Tensor will weigh in on your question.

Just now, chucky said:

I've used them a heck of a lot and nobody said anything. Maybe Tripper or Tensor will weigh in on your question.

Thanks. I don't know that anyone says anything though; my impression is that one just runs out and nothing happens when clicking the emoticon. IDK, but not a pressing question at the moment.

19 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Thanks. I don't know that anyone says anything though; my impression is that one just runs out and nothing happens when clicking the emoticon. IDK, but not a pressing question at the moment.

You get message popping up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, chucky said:

You can use 100 "likes" for a day. I guess the emoticons that don't give reputation to the user you react to their posts doesn't count for that number of 100 though.

Edited: for add we don't get a notification when we are run of likes. We try to like and a message pop up informing we can't at that moment.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, veejay said:

I know that well! 😀

Just a little hint: 

TBBT Episode scripts

😀

Thank you ! That'll be useful.

I tend to go to addic7ed.com because the subtitles for TBBT  are there very soon after the episode is available,usually within the hour, often at the same time.  I wish the Young Sheldon ones would appear as quickly. Often I can't  tell what Bernadette is saying but young Missy is beyond even a guess at times. Trouble is, my brain doesn't guess in the American language. When Missy ran around screaming, 'Too much candy'  for instance, I'd have never thought of that in a millenium. If it had been 'Too many sweets' I'd probably have even heard it.  Another one was when the dad said 'One son's a rocket scientist and the other's a ( mumble sounded like..) 'ro uh how.'  It turned out to be 'rodeo clown' . LOL

Oddly enough, I rarely need subtitles for anything made before 1990.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

You can use 100 "likes" for a day. I guess the emoticons that don't give reputation to the user you react to their posts doesn't count for that number of 100 though.

Edited: for add we don't get a notification when we are run of likes. We try to like and a message pop up informing we can't at that moment.

Oh I see, there is a difference between reputation and reaction emoticons. Interesting.

I really wish there was something a bit more moderate in the "disapprove" department. "Run to India" is much too strong for situations where you just want to indicate you disagree or you don't much like what is being said. It's like a club when a nudge would do.

The positives can be a Thanks, a Laugh, A thumbs up, Koala Face Awww, a variety of approvals.  The "sad" one isn't quite what I mean; perhaps a simple frown icon would serve, otherwise you have to slap the other chap's face with the India one. Harsh toke, as they say. :umbrage:

6 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Thank you ! That'll be useful.

I tend to go to addic7ed.com because the subtitles for TBBT  are there very soon after the episode is available,usually within the hour, often at the same time.  I wish the Young Sheldon ones would appear as quickly. Often I can't  tell what Bernadette is saying but young Missy is beyond even a guess at times. Trouble is, my brain doesn't guess in the American language. When Missy ran around screaming, 'Too much candy'  for instance, I'd have never thought of that in a millenium. If it had been 'Too many sweets' I'd probably have even heard it.  Another one was when the dad said 'One son's a rocket scientist and the other's a ( mumble sounded like..) 'ro uh how.'  It turned out to be 'rodeo clown' . LOL

Oddly enough, I rarely need subtitles for anything made before 1990.

With Young Sheldon the problem is probably compounded - American expressions we don't have PLUS the Texan accents. I haven't seen YS - are the accents really pronounced?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GivesAWhit said:

With Young Sheldon the problem is probably compounded - American expressions we don't have PLUS the Texan accents. I haven't seen YS - are the accents really pronounced?

The accents are fine. There's no trouble following what the teachers say, as of course there shouldn't be.  It's when the family talks quickly when they're moving that it can be difficult to make out what they're saying. Missy has a little girl's voice of course, so when she's high-pitched like Bernadette I find some of her speech unintelligible. If one can understand 90% of TBBT and YS it's frustrating if the other 10% is important.

Edited by joyceraye
snipping to make it clear to which question I was responding. Merger issue.

5 hours ago, GivesAWhit said:

True, for both dubbing and subtitles. Ugh. In addition, what about when something is left out altogether? A character speaks for 10 or 15 seconds but the subtitle is two words! Or you know the original language and notice the translation is missing something. This is a disaster when the missing bit is a flipping CLUE in a mystery show. :girlwerewolf:

I understand English well so I notice 99% of their translation mistakes and as I said it irks me bad. Same happened with Spanish after I learned it (ironically, I picked it up from TV). 

Sometimes the mistakes are just unbelievable. One time in HIMYM Ted responded saying something like "No way" and the translation said "Yes." I was like... WHAAAAT?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

We try to like and a message pop up informing we can't at that moment.

I wondered about that. It's happened to me a couple of times and I didn't connect that to using too many likes.

40 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

I really wish there was something a bit more moderate in the "disapprove" department. "Run to India" is much too strong for situations where you just want to indicate you disagree or you don't much like what is being said. It's like a club when a nudge would do.

I totally agree. Something else is needed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GivesAWhit said:

Oh I see, there is a difference between reputation and reaction emoticons. Interesting.

The positives can be a Thanks, a Laugh, A thumbs up, Koala Face Awww, a variety of approvals.  The "sad" one isn't quite what I mean; perhaps a simple frown icon would serve, otherwise you have to slap the other chap's face with the India one. Harsh toke, as they say. :umbrage:

I think that actually makes for lesser use of negative reaction, which I think is preferrable. When I don't exactly agree with a post I just don't react or respond by post. If I want to express some approval even though I don't exactly agree I may choose a positive reaction other than a like. If there's something funny I use Haha even if I disagree with another part because I think it's clear that refers to the joke.

• Like 2

Even if I disapprove of something said, if it's put well and the argument is clear I give it a 'like' because there's no 'well said but I don't agree' button or an  'acknowledge' button.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bfm said:

I think that actually makes for lesser use of negative reaction, which I think is preferrable. When I don't exactly agree with a post I just don't react or respond by post. If I want to express some approval even though I don't exactly agree I may choose a positive reaction other than a like. If there's something funny I use Haha even if I disagree with another part because I think it's clear that refers to the joke.

Ah, yes that's true. There might be tremendous overuse of an additional, less intense negative. Still, the India one seems pretty offensive, to me anyway.

Even if I disapprove of something said, if it's put well and the argument is clear I give it a 'like' because there's no 'well said but I don't agree' button or an  'acknowledge' button.

In those cases, I post a full reply to outline my differing point of view, often with a mention of how well the poster made his case. I can't quite do a "like" there so when I'm too short of time to compose a reply, such an icon would be ideal, IMO. 

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

The accents are fine. There's no trouble following what the teachers say, as of course there shouldn't be.  It's when the family talks quickly when they're moving that it can be difficult to make out what they're saying. Missy has a little girl's voice of course, so when she's high-pitched like Bernadette I find some of her speech unintelligible. If one can understand 90% of TBBT and YS it's frustrating if the other 10% is important.

Some years ago, a friend was banging on that he was so annoyed that subtitles were slow to post for his then-favorite show. I can't remember now which show it was, but I was stunned, then exploded with laughter when I learned it was a British show, set in Yorkshire. Though English born and bred, he simply could not follow that accent. Ahahaha!

And I totally understand about the really annoying merge feature! It can lead to confusing non sequiturs, overly long disjointed posts or unintentionally inappropriate LOLs or laugh icons. .However, it may be intended to prevent innumerable short inane replies meant simply to increase someone's post count.

Edited by GivesAWhit
Typo correction
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2L344 said:

I always liked the Katy Perry singing veterinarian that we saw on Valentines Day. It’s too bad they couldn’t keep her and develop her as a love interest.

I liked Emily too, I’m bummed we’ll never find out what was in her bedroom closet!

I couldn't stand either of the Emilys but Yvette the vet was a real lost opportunity.

2 hours ago, GivesAWhit said:

I really wish there was something a bit more moderate in the "disapprove" department. "Run to India" is much too strong for situations where you just want to indicate you disagree or you don't much like what is being said. It's like a club when a nudge would do

I once said it was like having to use a pruning shears when you really want to use sewing scissors.

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I couldn't stand either of the Emilys but Yvette the vet was a real lost opportunity.

Raj, ruined the second Emily for me. His bragging of what happened with Penny made her jealous and not give Penny a chance. I hated he did that especially after he asked Penny not to talk about it.  That's when I wished Penny went all Nebraska on Raj's ass.

• Like 1

Yvette the vet never would of worked because of her not liking Leonard and Penny.