[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

3 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Just wonderful  Holland states that next season there will be an arc for Sheldon to pursue his theory.  Just what we need another Sheldon centered season.!

I don't know why you expected him to say anything different. This has been pretty clear for a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chucky said:

In my humble opinion, the people watch the show for the actors. The writers write words. The actors (cast) take those words and put meaning to them. So, the show made it for 12 years because of the cast and how they performed the script. I'm stating that as my opinion, not fact. It's what I choose to believe.

There is no either /or in this. It takes both writers and actors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

There is no either /or in this. It takes both writers and actors. 

Well, I think the writers just put words to paper, but the actors put the actions behind those words. Without the performance of the cast, all the script is, is plain words on paper. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

The best version of many stories are just words on paper called novels. Words on paper can have a magic of their own.

Yes and no. Shakespeare, YES. TBBT writers, NO!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

The best version of many stories are just words on paper called novels. Words on paper can have a magic of their own.

Yes, but we are not reading a novel, are we? We are talking about a TV show we watch, so therefore the actors are the most important part of the equation. Regardless of the words, I hated Old Meemah because of the actress. I also didn't like Penny's brother because of the same reason.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, chucky said:

Yes and no. Shakespeare, YES. TBBT writers, NO!

And without the TBBT writers, the actors have nothing to do.  The actors themselves continually mention this.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

And without the TBBT writers, the actors have nothing to do.  The actors themselves continually mention this.  

JMO but the writers were important. In the last 3-4 years  some fan fictions writers, including yourself, could have written the show. As to the cast are they really go to bash the writers? I mean if I were Kunal,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Doesn't mean I have to believe it. What else would the actors say" Hey writers ya'll don't write worth a damn. They (casts) take the mediocre works of the writers and make a masterpiece out of it. That's my opinion and it will not change!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

I hated Old Meemah because of the actress. I also didn't like Penny's brother because of the same reason.

No amount of fancy words are going to help those two actors in those parts,

• Like 3

It's not just about the writers and actors, it takes an army to get the show on the air 24 times a year.  Incredibly talented people who take pride in their work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, vonmar said:

It's not just about the writers and actors, it takes an army to get the show on the air 24 times a year.  Incredibly talented people who take pride in their work.

okay

35 minutes ago, Burberry said:

So Is Amy’s last name Cooper now that their married now 

No, she kept hers like she said in the episode where they almost got married on a hitch (11x10), that they'd go in as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler and come out as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler married couple. Holland confirmed that in an interview a little while ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chrismo said:

JMO but the writers were important. In the last 3-4 years  some fan fictions writers, including yourself, could have written the show. As to the cast are they really go to bash the writers? I mean if I were Kunal,

No, I couldn't.   Writing screen plays is much different than writing fan fiction.  None of my fan fic has anywhere near enough jokes to turn into a screenplay for a half hour comedy.

Other than fan fic, all I've been able to manage is a script for a ten minute play, and I don't even know if that is going to get selected for the festival.   I also act.  Theatre and screen are visual mediums, so you need actors to bring the words to life.   However, the words have to be there before the actors can bring them to life.  It is a symbiotic partnership between actors and writers, and both are needed.  

6 hours ago, chucky said:

What else would the actors say" Hey writers ya'll don't write worth a damn. 

They have been asked about the if they come up with ad libs for the show.  And the answer they could use would be a simple no.  But, they go on about the writers, even when not asked.   Now this could be because most of the cast are not writers.   There are three writers in the main cast that I know of,  Melissa, Simon, and Kevin.    Now, you may not like the directions the writers of the show have taken, as I don't, but you can't conflate a direction they take that you don't like, with whether the script is mediocre.   You could like the direction and the result still be mediocre.  

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, April said:

It's true that a bad actor can ruin a decent script and it's also true that a good actor can elevate bad material. But in the end it's still cooperation between both parts and you only get great results when the written word and the performance of the actor go hand in hand. TBBT is not improv comedy so the scripts are crucial to bring the characters to life.

Well said! @April

a_0129.gif.85feb49b3c98bddcaf24578370685e27.gif

:icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't like the direction the show has gone in. Since around Season 7. But I don't think their is a correlation between a bad script. And/or the actors Liking the writing or not. ITs subjective. Sometimes you watch bad movies, but is carried by the acting. And Vice Versa. I Think the show peaked in S6, in terms of creativity. Alot of TBBT since S7. Has been very recycled in story, and in characterization. But I Still enjoy the show. If I did not, I Wouldent visit this site every day. And still watch the show 😏.

• Like 2

Like others have said and to quote the famous Aristotle line:

'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.'

It's the no.1 non sports show/comedy on TV because of the effort that is made by every part of the production process. Writers, production staff, actors, filming crew, set designers, wardrobe staff, even the money men who put money into the show and countless other people with specific roles that add to putting out a show every week when it's on air.

It's highly successful thanks to a collective group effort at the top of their game.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Like others have said and to quote the famous Aristotle line:

'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.'

It's the no.1 non sports show/comedy on TV because of the effort that is made by every part of the production process. Writers, production staff, actors, filming crew, set designers, wardrobe staff, even the money men who put money into the show and countless other people with specific roles that add to putting out a show every week when it's on air.

It's highly successful thanks to a collective group effort at the top of their game.

If you say so. I'm saying the show is #1 in spite of the mundane work of the writers and the show runner.

Edited by chucky

6 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't like the direction the show has gone in. Since around Season 7. But I don't think their is a correlation between a bad script. And/or the actors Liking the writing or not. ITs subjective.

Totally agree about it going down from sometime in season seven. (Six will always be my favorite. So many good eps in six!) But there have been bad scripts elevated by the actors (delivery and facial expression come to mind) and there have been bad deliveries of material that I thought had potential, where I almost thought someone was just phoning it in. There is no one answer. Each episode has it's own strengths and flaws.

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Writers, production staff, actors, filming crew, set designers, wardrobe staff, even the money men who put money into the show and countless other people with specific roles that add to putting out a show every week when it's on air.

I've wanted to fire the wardrobe people so many times this past season it's not even funny. Maybe it's just me. But I don't like a lot of the clothes and the way hair is getting done.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Totally agree about it going down from sometime in season seven. (Six will always be my favorite. So many good eps in six!) But there have been bad scripts elevated by the actors (delivery and facial expression come to mind) and there have been bad deliveries of material that I thought had potential, where I almost thought someone was just phoning it in. There is no one answer. Each episode has it's own strengths and flaws.

I've wanted to fire the wardrobe people so many times this past season it's not even funny. Maybe it's just me. But I don't like a lot of the clothes and the way hair is getting done.

Some of the hair do's that Penny has endured is atrocious. Like that Raj has his curly hair now. He looks so much normal and at ease.

• Like 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic