[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

Whether it’s number one is going to depend on what measure you use.   Roseanne, has a higher average demo and higher average total viewers in Live + Same Day(SD), Live + 3, and Live + 7.  In Live + 3 and Live + 7, it’s only number three, as This is Us also beats it in demo for those two measures.  Live + SD, is the the only measure TBBT beats This is Us.  

As for average total viewers,  as mentioned before, Roseanne is number one in all three measures, and TBBT beats This is Us in all three measures. It was interesting to see the claim that TBBT reclaimed its number one spot a few weeks ago.  It did this on the week Roseanne was in reruns.  And while TBBT has had more viewers the last two weeks, Roseanne has beaten it in Demo.  Although, I expect TBBT to be the number one show this week, in both demo and viewers. Now, with all these different measurements, which is the actual official measure?

Actually, it’s none of these.  The official number is something called C3 (Although the networks are pushing for C7)  This is the demo number of the viewers who watch the show and don’t skip the commercial( whether or not anyone is watching, they are not fast forwarding through them) up to three days after the show airs ( or 7 days in the case of C7) While these numbers are usually guarded by Nielsen, enough of them are leaked, usually by networks) to know these numbers are slightly lower, than the Live + 3.  In terms of this, number one is Roseanne, number two is This is Us,  and TBBT is number three.  Actually, in C3, TBBT’s C3 number drops more from its Live + 3 than the other two. 

• Like 3

Even if this Season it has dropped to no.3, with the viewing figures it gets and the age of the show it's still doing ridiculously well. I wouldn't say the show is struggling or anything, it is facing increasing competition from newer shows and shows with a heavy nostalgia factor as well in the 'era of reboots'. The show is coming to the end of its life, but it's still fighting and not going out with a whimper.

At the end of the day, viewing figures are important because it keeps the show on the air and a motivation to perhaps keep the show going. But the no.1 factor for me above everything else is asking myself the questions:

Do I still enjoy the show? Do I still want to keep watching it?

And the answer is Yes.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I loved Jerry O'Connell as George! Would really love too see him back. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNg6zEaVtZzBhETtB_yIc

Yes, and now that Superior Donuts has been cancelled, I hope Katey Sagal comes back as 'Susan.' I'd love to see more of Penny's family and hometown life. As someone else suggested, I think it would be great for the season 12 premiere to be about vacations for the characters, i.e., Penny and Leonard in Omaha, Bernadette and Howard vacationing with the family, and Amy and Sheldon on their honeymoon working on super asymmetry.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chucky said:

Some of the hair do's that Penny has endured is atrocious. Like that Raj has his curly hair now. He looks so much normal and at ease. 

Raj should keep it curly all the time and not go back and forth from straight to curly. I love it curly. As for Penny, I don't like when they pull it up on top of her head or into those little tails on top of her head and emphasize her roots, showing she's not really blonde. They didn't have  Sheldon remarking on it again this season, and I wish they'd quit stressing it visually.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kev0821 said:

Yes, and now that Superior Donuts has been cancelled, I hope Katey Sagal comes back as 'Susan.'

I want Leonard's dad back now, too. As much as possible. He did a great job.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Whether it’s number one is going to depend on what measure you use.   Roseanne, has a higher average demo and higher average total viewers in Live + Same Day(SD), Live + 3, and Live + 7.  In Live + 3 and Live + 7, it’s only number three, as This is Us also beats it in demo for those two measures.  Live + SD, is the the only measure TBBT beats This is Us.  

As for average total viewers,  as mentioned before, Roseanne is number one in all three measures, and TBBT beats This is Us in all three measures. It was interesting to see the claim that TBBT reclaimed its number one spot a few weeks ago.  It did this on the week Roseanne was in reruns.  And while TBBT has had more viewers the last two weeks, Roseanne has beaten it in Demo.  Although, I expect TBBT to be the number one show this week, in both demo and viewers. Now, with all these different measurements, which is the actual official measure?

Actually, it’s none of these.  The official number is something called C3 (Although the networks are pushing for C7)  This is the demo number of the viewers who watch the show and don’t skip the commercial( whether or not anyone is watching, they are not fast forwarding through them) up to three days after the show airs ( or 7 days in the case of C7) While these numbers are usually guarded by Nielsen, enough of them are leaked, usually by networks) to know these numbers are slightly lower, than the Live + 3.  In terms of this, number one is Roseanne, number two is This is Us,  and TBBT is number three.  Actually, in C3, TBBT’s C3 number drops more from its Live + 3 than the other two. 

Way to much information for me.

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

Judd Hirsch was in that show too, hopefully Ieonard's dad can make an appearance next season!

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I want Leonard's dad back now, too. As much as possible. He did a great job.

1 hour ago, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

Judd Hirsch will also be free to reprise his role as Leonard's dad, Alfred. Loved him!

Yes, bring him back, too! I guess I specifically mentioned Katey because her previous appearance was so short and I grew up with and love 8 Simple Rules. However, all of the parents are well cast and they're all welcome additions in my book.

Edited by Kev0821
  • Like 6
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, April said:

No, she kept hers like she said in the episode where they almost got married on a hitch (11x10), that they'd go in as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler and come out as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler married couple. Holland confirmed that in an interview a little while ago.

I thought so I just was not sure 

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Even if this Season it has dropped to no.3, with the viewing figures it gets and the age of the show it's still doing ridiculously well. I wouldn't say the show is struggling or anything, it is facing increasing competition from newer shows and shows with a heavy nostalgia factor as well in the 'era of reboots'. The show is coming to the end of its life, but it's still fighting and not going out with a whimper.

At the end of the day, viewing figures are important because it keeps the show on the air and a motivation to perhaps keep the show going. But the no.1 factor for me above everything else is asking myself the questions:

Do I still enjoy the show? Do I still want to keep watching it?

And the answer is Yes.

I don't think I have ever consistently watched any show beyond about eight seasons before TBBTTBBT/YS are the only programs that I consistently watch live. From my point of view tbbt has been exceptional. I think Bill and Chuck  had an idea that was something I wanted to see and that they managed to launch a winner.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I don't think I have ever consistently watched any show beyond about eight seasons before TBBTTBBT/YS are the only programs that I consistently watch live. From my point of view tbbt has been exceptional. I think Bill and Chuck  had an idea that was something I wanted to see and that they managed to launch a winner.

Same for me really. The Star Trek Series (TNG, DS9, Voyager) which I have watched to death lol all ended at 7 seasons, so did Buffy. The X-Files is probably the only show I consistently watched before this one that went beyond 7 or 8 seasons. A lot of shows especially these days don't make it to that many.

I don't watch TBBT live because of where I live but I would for sure watch it live if I could and I do watch it when it airs in the UK every week when it's on so I guess from a UK point of view I do watch it live,

'Exceptional' and more in my eyes, it's an amazing show that has brought a lot of joy to many over the years and still does. It provides a much needed escapism for me, sure I have my grumbles with some things or stories (but then I always have) but I still love it. It will be a sad day when it ends.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Raj should keep it curly all the time and not go back and forth from straight to curly. I love it curly. As for Penny, I don't like when they pull it up on top of her head or into those little tails on top of her head and emphasize her roots, showing she's not really blonde. They didn't have  Sheldon remarking on it again this season, and I wish they'd quit stressing it visually.

She looks better with a good cut. She's a bit too old to be leaving it long and loose,especially as she needs to look smart and tidy for her job. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Run to India 1

22 hours ago, djsurrey said:

The best version of many stories are just words on paper called novels. Words on paper can have a magic of their own.

And sometimes they're even more magic when read or acted aloud. We have a saying here, 'The pictures are better on the radio'. 

• Like 2

Ratings are subjective though. They don't equal quality. I am not saying I disagree. For a show coming on its 12th season. The numbers are remarkable. I just felt the show was at its peak in S6. Those were the prime years. Shows gone down hill since then. I guess I don't just accept disproporitinate mediocrity. As Quality.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Ratings are subjective though. They don't equal quality. I am not saying I disagree. For a show coming on its 12th season. The numbers are remarkable. I just felt the show was at its peak in S6. Those were the prime years. Shows gone down hill since then. I guess I don't just accept disproporitinate mediocrity. As Quality.

Ratings are an amalgamation of subjective views - but the ratings, themselves, are not subjective.

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, vonmar said:

It's not just about the writers and actors, it takes an army to get the show on the air 24 times a year.  Incredibly talented people who take pride in their work.

And  every one is important, I get it, but after the actors and then the writers everybody else is decreasingly so. If this were a movie then maybe the director, but apart from that everybody else is second tier, IMO.

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Ratings are an amalgamation of subjective views - but the ratings, themselves, are not subjective.

I understand that. My point though was Ratings do not equal quality. So you cannot quantify that. Some were inferring because ratings are strong, must mean shows quality is as good as ever. I just disagree. IF so the writing would be out of this world. But of course it has declined since s6. 

Edited by 3ku11

23 hours ago, Tensor said:

No, I couldn't.   Writing screen plays is much different than writing fan fiction.  None of my fan fic has anywhere near enough jokes to turn into a screenplay for a half hour comedy.

Other than fan fic, all I've been able to manage is a script for a ten minute play, and I don't even know if that is going to get selected for the festival.   I also act.  Theatre and screen are visual mediums, so you need actors to bring the words to life.   However, the words have to be there before the actors can bring them to life.  It is a symbiotic partnership between actors and writers, and both are needed.  

They have been asked about the if they come up with ad libs for the show.  And the answer they could use would be a simple no.  But, they go on about the writers, even when not asked.   Now this could be because most of the cast are not writers.   There are three writers in the main cast that I know of,  Melissa, Simon, and Kevin.    Now, you may not like the directions the writers of the show have taken, as I don't, but you can't conflate a direction they take that you don't like, with whether the script is mediocre.   You could like the direction and the result still be mediocre.  

I don't think I've ever read a fanfic that was actually written as sitcom material. Sure, some were funny in places but by far not with the joke density this show would require. Fanfic stories are often more written as drama or soap opera (and I don't mean that as an insult) in terms of handling their characters and subject matter. Sometimes the tone shift alone makes everyone feel terribly OOC. So I agree with you that fanfic writers are not a good substitute here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

I understand that. My point though was Ratings do not equal quality. So you cannot quantify that. Some were inferring because ratings are strong, must mean shows quality is as good as ever. I just disagree. IF so the writing would be out of this world. But of course it has declined since s6. 

Unless there were agreement on how to define quality it is really pointless to debate on if it has improved or declined. It is the ratings that the advertisers care about so they are important even if someone thinks they are bunk.

Having said all that by my definition the quality of the show has improved. They have dropped the fat jokes, the hooker jokes, drunk jokes and most the bully jokes. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Run to India 1

Well, good morning. What a glorious Monday morning. For those headed out to start the new work week, you have my condolences. For those retired like me enjoy it, it's time for me to return to bed.

Edited by chucky
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Unless there were agreement on how to define quality it is really pointless to debate on if it has improved or declined. It is the ratings that the advertisers care about so they are important even if someone thinks they are bunk.

Having said all that by my definition the quality of the show has improved. They have dropped the fat jokes, the hooker jokes, drunk jokes and most the bully jokes. 

THIS! OMG These were so terrible in early seasons I couldn't stand it. The show sure had moments of brilliance in its earlier seasons but it was also stuffed full of these old rotten jokes taken from the garbage dump of comedy. Yikes!

Sense8Nomieww.gif.8c9b7a7da3852564df83bbbca43e9a83.gif

Edited by April
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Yes!

3 hours ago, April said:

THIS! OMG These were so terrible in early seasons I couldn't stand it. The show sure had moments of brilliance in its earlier seasons but it was also stuffed full of these old rotten jokes taken from the garbage dump of comedy. Yikes!

Yes.  And the jokes about Howard's mother made me cringe.

One of the interesting things about "The Simpsons" is that they deliberately avoided standard 'insult' jokes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kev0821 said:

Yes, bring him back, too! I guess I specifically mentioned Katey because her previous appearance was so short and I grew up with and love 8 Simple Rules. However, all of the parents are well cast and they're all welcome additions in my book.

I can't get into this since I never watched 8 Simple Rules. I've never even seen one ep. I did see a few Married With Children eps and didn't like them at all.

5 hours ago, djsurrey said:

The fat jokes were way over the top and down right nasty. No hooker or bully jokes stand out for me this season so I'd agree with that. But I think they still have drunk jokes occasionally that are not necessary. I am one of the few people who did not like the first couple of seasons. I actually didn't watch much of it and when I got into the show later I had to play catch up. But I know I didn't like it as much in 1-3 as in 4-6.

I'm not entirely happy with this because it proves to me that  they are changing what they said on TBBT to make YS more palatable...about Sheldon's dad and about him starting a family.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/young-sheldon-baby-reveal/

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic