Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, joyceraye said:

Rarely indeed !

TBBT has something. It has many things others do not, actually. It's endearing, full of language even its own immediate audience don't understand, let alone fans around the world who need to google even what gets translated, mixed with sadness, humour, pathos, drama, a sense of the ridiculous, a university, extreme personalities, youthful idiocy and growing up,plus a je ne sais quoi that holds it together and leaves us wanting more. The moment I saw Leslie Winkle make her breakfast of cryo-banana I knew I was going to be hooked if it carried on like that.

I downloaded Living Biblically from the same place I get TBBT and YS. Having read posts in the forum that Johnny Galecki was associated with it I thought it would be good. It's based on a book I've not yet read, but is apparently successful. It has a stack of the ingredients of comedy : a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest, a workplace with tensions and friendships, a pregnant wife, an atheist mother-in-law, a bar with witty barlady, an apartment consisting of one large room  with unseen kitchen etc off, and a theme in the person of a journalist with a mission. I can imagine an investor thinking his money would come back tenfold, his happiness fuelled by the pleasure of millions. Some disasters seem like a good idea at the time.

Oh my goodness it is dire. There's no smoothness to it. It's somehow staccato. Nothing builds from episode to episode;  it's the same story every week. So was House but it was twice as long per episode and gradually developed and built. I gather LB's  been taken off the air and replaced with repeats of TBBT. Possibly in the end it would have got somewhere but we'll never know now. Not all that looks good in  script and rehearsal gels with the public. 

Who'd have thought Frasier would do as well as it did ? On  the face of it, two pretentious, middle-aged brothers - a Cambridge and Yale man and an Oxford and Harvard man, both doctors -  plus their father and his dog looked after by a cross between a physiotherapist and a housemaid, wouldn't have got many people switching on.  And yet millions of people loved it, just as they took to an old man with a police phone box nipping in and out of time and space with a couple of schoolteachers.

Sometimes there's something that just grips and holds on.

Couldn't had said it better myself!

  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Rarely indeed !

TBBT has something. It has many things others do not, actually. It's endearing, full of language even its own immediate audience don't understand, let alone fans around the world who need to google even what gets translated, mixed with sadness, humour, pathos, drama, a sense of the ridiculous, a university, extreme personalities, youthful idiocy and growing up,plus a je ne sais quoi that holds it together and leaves us wanting more. The moment I saw Leslie Winkle make her breakfast of cryo-banana I knew I was going to be hooked if it carried on like that.

I downloaded Living Biblically from the same place I get TBBT and YS. Having read posts in the forum that Johnny Galecki was associated with it I thought it would be good. It's based on a book I've not yet read, but is apparently successful. It has a stack of the ingredients of comedy : a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest, a workplace with tensions and friendships, a pregnant wife, an atheist mother-in-law, a bar with witty barlady, an apartment consisting of one large room  with unseen kitchen etc off, and a theme in the person of a journalist with a mission. I can imagine an investor thinking his money would come back tenfold, his happiness fuelled by the pleasure of millions. Some disasters seem like a good idea at the time.

Oh my goodness it is dire. There's no smoothness to it. It's somehow staccato. Nothing builds from episode to episode;  it's the same story every week. So was House but it was twice as long per episode and gradually developed and built. I gather LB's  been taken off the air and replaced with repeats of TBBT. Possibly in the end it would have got somewhere but we'll never know now. Not all that looks good in  script and rehearsal gels with the public. 

Who'd have thought Frasier would do as well as it did ? On  the face of it, two pretentious, middle-aged brothers - a Cambridge and Yale man and an Oxford and Harvard man, both doctors -  plus their father and his dog looked after by a cross between a physiotherapist and a housemaid, wouldn't have got many people switching on.  And yet millions of people loved it, just as they took to an old man with a police phone box nipping in and out of time and space with a couple of schoolteachers.

Sometimes there's something that just grips and holds on.

Love your take on things @joyceraye !!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Rarely indeed !

TBBT has something. It has many things others do not, actually. It's endearing, full of language even its own immediate audience don't understand, let alone fans around the world who need to google even what gets translated, mixed with sadness, humour, pathos, drama, a sense of the ridiculous, a university, extreme personalities, youthful idiocy and growing up,plus a je ne sais quoi that holds it together and leaves us wanting more. The moment I saw Leslie Winkle make her breakfast of cryo-banana I knew I was going to be hooked if it carried on like that. /

/Sometimes there's something that just grips and holds on.

That description is magnificent. :shy:

misc_425.gif.8af3c0c6fba0c82b5b0cecf9fd4ae060.gif

Yeah, that really grips and holds on me too.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

(actually, it started with Leonard and Sheldon looking to donate to a sperm bank. Fun fact: we meet the recurring medical office/hospital character Althea before we meet Penny!  Very often, that cold open is left out when the episode airs in syndication.  I agree TBBT really started with a series of "hi"'s between Leonard, Penny and Sheldon)....

Althea also appeared in the unaired pilot, one of only 3 characters to appear in both pilot episodes.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zhalen565 said:

Althea also appeared in the unaired pilot, one of only 3 characters to appear in both pilot episodes.

interesting, very interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chucky said:

Definitely agree! Started with the three, should end with the three. Some will argue Amy should be there, since she's Sheldon's wife now. I'm not one of those people though.

 Actually I think is nice enough to consider a moment like that with the three with the way one ship has gotten all their wishes and the writers, like the woman in the diner, crapping all over Lennies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

 Actually I think is nice enough to consider a moment like that with the three with the way one ship has gotten all their wishes and the writers, like the woman in the diner, crapping all over Lennies.

Damn, you are so right. My tired old brain ain't working properly right now.

Good shows come and go. There several different reasons why some shows have a short life and some lasts for 10 or more years. TBBT combines, science, nerdiness, comedy and beautiful women. That makes the show attractive to all classes of fans. That also makes it a bonifide hit that lasts for more than 10 years. So 11 years down, and at least 1 remaining. Season 12 starts in about 4 months, September 2018.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tensor said:

  You do realize that most shows end because it becomes too expensive to produce the show, vs how much it brings in.  That with the decrease in demo and viewers over this year, that there will be even less ad income next year.  How much does TBBT bring in per thirty second ad spot, for a new show?   For a repeat?   How much does CBS pay Warner Brothers to license the show?   How much of the cast salaries does CBS pay?  How much does CBS make, on broadcasting each new episode?  How much for each repeat?  And without knowing this (and several other things) you can determine whether or not a show is profitable or not, or exactly how much a show brings in.  

If what you say is true in the factors that make a decision to continue a series, then why is WB/CBS seemingly pushing for at least a 13th season?  Does CBS gain any of the syndication rights that WB reaps?  This program is watched all over the world and I would say the profit in that alone would make them want to continue.

6 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I don't think the other posters wanted to make a general statement about USA Broadcast TV. TBBT is in a very rare situation. Its success strongly relies on a certain format, and there's no way to know if a different one might work.  I don't think things would change that much if the actors commit to a limited numbers of episodes, but if some of them have doubts about being in the show, as other have noticed, they might be more connected with being tired of the role or searching for new challenges elsewhere than with the number of episodes they are in. If they don't want to do the show any more, they might not be convinced to be in less episodes too. It's a huge responsibility indeed, because if one is out, then CBS might choose to not risk it and close the show altogether, for all we know at this point. Anyway, truth to be told, I don't think the bosses at CBS would have said they are "hopeful" to have further seasons if they didn't have tested at least a general willingness of the cast to do so....

And if I recall at Paleyfest Jim, Kaley and Johnny all said the same thing when asked about continuing:  They would be crazy not to agree

  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, it's still a high rated show for CBS. Why wouldn't they want it. It acts as a great lead-in to the rest of Thursday night's shows.

Two, it would be prestigious to hit the 300th episode.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

First, it's still a high rated show for CBS. Why wouldn't they want it. It acts as a great lead-in to the rest of Thursday night's shows.

Two, it would be prestigious to hit the 300th episode.

I can't think of a reason for not wanting to keep it going, unless it's too expensive to do so.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chucky said:

I can't think of a reason for not wanting to keep it going, unless it's too expensive to do so.

If the show was profitable why did the original 5 take a total pay cut  of 24 million dollars the last two seasons to give Mayim and Melissa raises?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zhalen565 said:

Althea also appeared in the unaired pilot, one of only 3 characters to appear in both pilot episodes.

What I'm gethering from this is in the finale Althea should deliver Lenny's baby/ies 😉

Edited by bfm
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bfm said:

The lines about Shamy showing physical affection were also jokes before it happened, it was mostly played as Amy being hoplessly hopeful. However I don't see anyone claiming these were all throw away lines. I don't see anyone saying these should have been forgotten.

So far as I could notice no one has brought any of that up. Why would they. Opening night has happened and that was put to bed (pun). Anyway for heavens sake in 1.01 Leonard and Penny had just met. They were not in a relationship. Leonard knew almost nothing about her. 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

So far as I could notice no one has brought any of that up. Why would they. Opening night has happened and that was put to bed (pun).

But Lenny babies haven't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SRAM said:

Now that they are married I think there is more than a possibility that the show will center more on the two couples on the forth floor in season 12.  Sheldon needs someone to play off of and Amy being his wife won’t be as brutally funny as the couple across the hall.

The Ricardos and the Metzes.

22 hours ago, Mario D. said:

How Johnny and Kaley can keep upbeat on their characters is truly remarkable. 

Because Kaley still gets most of the best punchlines.

The writers clearly like writing for her.

  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

So far as I could notice no one has brought any of that up. Why would they. Opening night has happened and that was put to bed (pun). Anyway for heavens sake in 1.01 Leonard and Penny had just met. They were not in a relationship. Leonard knew almost nothing about her. 

But Sheldon was quoted throughout the series of his lack of interest in sex. And so was Amy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

So far as I could notice no one has brought any of that up. Why would they. Opening night has happened and that was put to bed (pun). Anyway for heavens sake in 1.01 Leonard and Penny had just met. They were not in a relationship. Leonard knew almost nothing about her. 

All I'm saying is that the repeating of the line in season 4 made it more than a throw away line. I'm not talking about 1×01 and not saying that the repeating meant it would happen, just that it was more than a throw away line. I don't think the only options are throw away or will happen.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

But Sheldon was quoted throughout the series of his lack of interest in sex. And so was Amy.

Weird. I thought they might be the one tv couple this decade to wait and get married first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

That was my point.

And that's the frustration. We have both been on this thread long enough to know what people want on here. People were waiting and waiting for Sheldon and Amy coitus. It happened. Same goes with them getting married. It happened. Lenny fans have been waiting longer than season 3 for a Lenny baby. We are still waiting.

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Weird. I thought they might be the one tv couple this decade to wait and get married first. 

Fans were more interest in the coitus than the wedding. As I said before the guest stars are proof of that.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bfm said:

All I'm saying is that the repeating of the line in season 4 made it more than a throw away line. I'm not talking about 1×01 and not saying that the repeating meant it would happen, just that it was more than a throw away line. 

We just see it differently. As I see it the sentiment behind the line has been reused but shifted to Howard first and Raj later. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

And that's the frustration. We have both been on this thread long enough to know what people want on here. People were waiting and waiting for Sheldon and Amy coitus. It happened. Same goes with them getting married. It happened. Lenny fans have been waiting longer than season 3 for a Lenny baby. We are still waiting.

Frustration is an understatement. I'm beyond frustration, but too much of a gentleman to say how I truly feel. I don't need someone to remind me that it's only a TV show. I realize that, I'm just passionate about the disservice that I feel Lenny has received from the show runner and writers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chrismo said:
13 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Weird. I thought they might be the one tv couple this decade to wait and get married first. 

Fans were more interest in the coitus than the wedding. As I said before the guest stars are proof of that.

Many fans. I had to put up with two years of my wife grumbling about them not getting married first. I loved the star wars tie in of Opening Night but had to put up with disgruntlement at home. If there was one couple who could have done things in the traditional order is was Amy and Sheldon.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

We just see it differently. As I see it the sentiment behind the line has been reused but shifted to Howard first and Raj later. 

 

Just one of many failed relationships for Raj.

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Many fans. I had to put up with two years of my wife grumbling about it.

I feel your pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.