The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, bfm said:

That's exactly what I was refering to.

Personally I'm enjoying this discussion though. When's the last time we've discussed Physics, Science, String Theory, Fundamental Physics etc. in regards to tbbt? Not often anyway. Refreshing after all the nappy changing, and relationship drama of the past few seasons :icon_cheesygrin:.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

And fyi had an idea for Penny that can tie in with her acting, without actually acting. Penny referenced in the pilot. That she was writing a screenplay. Based on a sensitive girl who comes to LA from Nebraska to be an actress. And winds up becoming a CheeseCake Factory Waitess. 

I think it would be kinda cool if by end of series. Or any time next two seasons. Penny writes the screenplay. And it becomes a successful tv series lol.

As a upcoming spin-off series, I would like to watch that. :shy:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gbb said:

Apparently Leonard's depressing epiphany is something real-life physicists are grappling with right now. This article breaks it down. 

A few key quotes:

So now instead of thinking this is just the conclusion of the "guys are depressed over losing their project" story arc, I think this probably marks the beginning of a whole new arc. Maybe the scientists who consult on the show brought up this issue and the show runners decided to work it into the guys' lives. I think it's fascinating. If the guys were able to work toward a theory that would help prove the multiverse, maybe we could see them close to a Nobel by the time Big Bang ends. 

Thanks for the quotes! That's very interesting. It's also making me even more curious about how the guys' professional lives will be at the end of the show.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I do remember Leonard told Penny From Season 1 Episode 3. The Fuzzy Boots Corrally. 

Penny: So, what's new in the world of physics?

Leonard: Well, with the exception of string theory, not much has happened since the 1930s, and you can't prove string theory, at best you can say "hey, look, my idea has an internal logical consistency."

I think that ties in well with what you found @Gbb.

They have their consultant they won't have Leonard say something that is completely not valid.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JE7 said:

There is a joke to be made here but i better pass :icon_redface:

I know, I know. I'll just say that my lol was also pointed at the pants and leave it at that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gbb said:

Apparently Leonard's depressing epiphany is something real-life physicists are grappling with right now. This article breaks it down. 

A few key quotes:

So now instead of thinking this is just the conclusion of the "guys are depressed over losing their project" story arc, I think this probably marks the beginning of a whole new arc. Maybe the scientists who consult on the show brought up this issue and the show runners decided to work it into the guys' lives. I think it's fascinating. If the guys were able to work toward a theory that would help prove the multiverse, maybe we could see them close to a Nobel by the time Big Bang ends. 

I love all your quotes, but I would say that the guys being able to prove the existence of a multi-verse would be a little too much of a stretch to be believable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

I love all your quotes, but I would say that the guys being able to prove the existence of a multi-verse would be a little too much of a stretch to be believable.

I think so too. That's why I threw all kinds of qualifiers in there:  " If the guys were able to work toward a theory that would help prove the multiverse, maybe we could see them close to a Nobel by the time Big Bang ends. " ;)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, veejay said:

As a upcoming spin-off series, I would like to watch that. :shy:

Or see could become the spoke person for her company and perform in some cute funny commercials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I do remember Leonard told Penny From Season 1 Episode 3. The Fuzzy Boots Corrally. 

Penny: So, what's new in the world of physics?

Leonard: Well, with the exception of string theory, not much has happened since the 1930s, and you can't prove string theory, at best you can say "hey, look, my idea has an internal logical consistency."

Penny: Ah. Well I'm sure things we'll pick up.

So as far as Leonard's radio station interview goes. I'm going Leonard comments how the search for new fundamental physics is dead. In which he'll be right. That seems pretty likely.

And fyi had an idea for Penny that can tie in with her acting, without actually acting. Penny referenced in the pilot. That she was writing a screenplay. Based on a sensitive girl who comes to LA from Nebraska to be an actress. And winds up becoming a CheeseCake Factory Waitess. 

I think it would be kinda cool if by end of series. Or any time next two seasons. Penny writes the screenplay. And it becomes a successful tv series lol.

I think this would be funny too and it really doesn't have to be in the end of the series.  

Thanks for the quotes, @Gbb. That's very interisting indeed. I am getting more curious about if guys's professional lives will have important development as it could be one of story arcs of this season. I think it will be about time to know more from that front. 

Edited by spidergirl

I like that they are having them deal with real challenges to their field. I hope it won't end with this episode.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gbb said:

A few key quotes:

Perhaps you are on to something here.

Still particle physics is not all of physics by any stretch. Condensed matter physics continues to be a hotbed of research and it produces practical results.

https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/research/condensed-matter-physics

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/research/condensed-matter-physics

http://physics.berkeley.edu/research/condensed-matter-physics-and-materials-science

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Perhaps you are on to something here.

Still particle physics is not all of physics by any stretch. Condensed matter physics continues to be a hotbed of research and it produces practical results.

https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/research/condensed-matter-physics

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/research/condensed-matter-physics

http://physics.berkeley.edu/research/condensed-matter-physics-and-materials-science

We still don't know the exact text maybe Leonard meant particle physics and with the pressure of the interview it came to that big title.

Thinking too for Leonard. He may think career wise he faces an uncertain future. So I think if he got tenure. That would give him more certainty. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gbb said:

" If the guys were able to work toward a theory that would help prove the multiverse, maybe we could see them close to a Nobel by the time Big Bang ends. " ;)

Could something important come out of Sheldon's work with Amy leaving the other guys free to do their own thing?

String theory,although it can not be classically proven through experiment,can be slowly validated with the cosmological data we are gathering (eg the Hubble constant). I've had the chance to discuss this with a very persistent string cosmologist, Pr. Robert Brandenberger...Also the LHC closes down all the time for maintainance not only because of higher energies we are trying to achieve but also because once something like a rat had eaten the cables as someone hadn't shield everything properly  (no joke -.-) so I wouldn't worry about time.

• Like 1

On 23 August 2017 at 6:17 PM, joyceraye said:

I don't think Sheldon has really grown down. I think they decided to show the other facets of his character. Although he did behave as an adult so far as living his everyday home   and work life was concerned, and while his entertainment was playing games and buying comics with like-minded male peers, on other levels he turned out to be rather immature. He didn't understand about things like gift-giving, understanding what others meant when they weren't speaking literally, or relating to women on an emotional level. He sometimes plays on people sympathising with his bewilderment in order to get away with crap.

I try to understand this perspective but it just doesn’t sit well with me at all. New Sheldumb is so tweeny and squealy. I find his character way too camp, as if he’s trying to behave like a child instead of having some childlike characteristics, as he used to in the past. Not understanding gift giving or social cues was nothing to do with maturity. It was endearing because he had this inability which held no malice. I see the New Sheldumb of these later seasons, as being deliberately petty, because he’s lost the excuse of Atypical innocence. I really enjoyed Sheldon differences. I love that he needed his routines, like knocking and hated the excuse they came up with. It's such pyshco-babble. I also loved how his face would tic if he had to lie. 

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 8

I don't care about Sheldon being happy. I'm a selfish viewer who wants miserable Sheldon 1.0 back hahah. 

I think this is down to a simple matter of preference. No ones point of view is wrong. I like some just simply prefer Sheldon 1.0. Before the character development. It's nice he's evolved. But the writers have changes a lot of his intricacies that made him so unique. But like I said this ain't being againgst Sheldons Character evolving. Just the style of writing these days. They've almost dumbed him down somewhat to target the common and lowest denominator. Clever dialogue like "I think you have as much chance of having a sexual relationship with Penny. As the Hubble telescope does of discovering at every black hole is a little man with a flashlight searching for a circuit breaker".

To  Taylor Swift references. And poodle references. And a solid of recently last season Sheldon abandoning physics to become a mechanic. I do miss the halcyon years of Sheldon. I mean so this ain't me personally being againgst the idea of Sheldon having character development or being happy. I've invested in this show for the long haul. So clearly i wouldent want Sheldon observing alone. While his friends have their SOs and are happy. But sometimes I wished they preserved some of his uniqueness. Particularly in the dialogue. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3
  • Run to India 1

6 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't care about Sheldon being happy. I'm a selfish viewer who wants miserable Sheldon 1.0 back hahah. 

Well, at least you're honest about that. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jonny said:

And yet it's pretty obvious he looks happy, in fact the happiest he has ever been. I've watched every single episode multiple times and I have never seen him as content as he is now. The sadness I had for him at times during Season 2 and especially Season 3 has gone.

I get why some might pine for the old Sheldon/robotic Sheldon, but maybe you should take the view I did and do for any TV characters that go on journeys through life and also something that clearly imitates real life when it comes to actively making choices that they perceive as something better. He made changes to his life because he WANTED them to happen. He had numerous opportunities over the years to go back to some of his older life and his old homeostasis (think Zazzy, the Season 9 breakup, even In Veracity Elasticity and the genius Buridan's Donkey scene as examples) but he didn't take them, so you have got to ask yourself why. Occam's Razor? He liked where he was heading and the changes he made to his life, maybe he didn't show or reveal to viewers this but in his mind he thinks that way.

So maybe the Sheldon you are seeing now is perhaps through experiences both good and bad the person he has always wanted to be? Perhaps deep down he wanted some of these things but never had the opportunities or wasn't brave enough to take them? He knows he is different he has some quirks and issues but he will have seen other relationships, other social norms and perhaps having some of the same desires.

This poses the question that is commonly asked around here or mentioned, has he lost something by embracing these changes? That's up to each viewer and their preference of how they like to see him, but if he has lost something he has gained a lot as well. But like I said earlier I take the view that if he has changed or perhaps some of his priorities have shifted as he has gotten older it's because he has wanted this to happen. He has said numerous times or inferred it through actions that the life he has now is better than he had.

Going back to this idea about Sheldon perhaps in his mind wanting things in his life think back to the conversation between Sheldon and his mother in 10.19 in The Holiday Summation and Sheldon's reaction when his mother thought he wasn't going to find anyone to be with and live out his life alone. That justifiably angry reaction by Sheldon strikes me as someone who perhaps throughout his life contemplated/feared being alone and didn't want that so he took great offence at what she said. I am not a big fan of that episode but that discussion and his reaction before he stormed off to his room stood out to me as a fascinating insight into his mind, it's one of the rare glimpses we get because he can be such an enigma.

I hope he continues to change and evolve over the next two years, there have in my view been two truly great transformations on this show which is really a sitcom about life or a life comedy. Sheldon and Howard for me are probably the two most interesting stories and well crafted on the show over those 10 years and when the creators of the show talk about what the show is actually about you won't find a better example of that than Sheldon's or Howard's life stories.

Finally I expect the stories and the journey witnessed on the show with the whole gang have provided a great deal of inspiration to those out there perhaps with social issues or quirks that make them feel like they are social outcasts. This show has proven that you can experience all that life has to offer even if you are different and are not part of social/society norms. That's inspiring and I suspect it will be the show's greatest legacy!

This whole post! I would give you 1000 likes if I could!

I bolded the final part of your post because it summed up so well why I love this show so much since its pilot and why my admiration as viewer is alive and kicking after 10 seasons. This show is really different from all others sitcoms for good as it is an inspiration for many viewers from all ages with sociall issues and brilliant minds. I wont repeat your words as you said it better than I would , I just want to say the stories of these characters lives will be always treasured for many because these examples performed in the show helped some to challenge themselves and anchieve things they thought they only would in their most secretive dreams. A big cheers to the evolution of these characters and how their lives have changed for better and also for a very well built sitcom whose storyplots had given to the viewers smart and progressive story arcs. Surely few shows may be proud of touching so many viewers lives as tbbt.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaced_up said:

I try to understand this perspective but it just doesn’t sit well with me at all. New Sheldumb is so tweeny and squealy. I find his character way too camp, as if he’s trying to behave like a child instead of having some childlike characteristics, as he used to in the past. Not understanding gift giving or social cues was nothing to do with maturity. It was endearing because he had this inability which held no malice. I see the New Sheldumb of these later seasons, as being deliberately petty, because he’s lost the excuse of Atypical innocence. I really enjoyed Sheldon differences. I love that he needed his routines, like knocking and hated the excuse they came up with. It's such pyshco-babble. I also loved how his face would tic if he had to lie. 

There are people who will never get to grips with these things, it's true. For them their age or development has no relevance.

To me, however, Sheldon is more like those who as children have been rushed unwanted  into unwelcoming older company because of academic over-achievement and so have missed out on the natural social development and training they should have been given. You sometimes see it in those who've spent childhood or adolescence in hospital or at home sick.  There's nobody to play with and learn social rules alongside. They have to make an effort to learn these things later when or if they see a need. Sheldon wasn't instinctively talented in these areas to start with. Noticing one is an outcast and not knowing what to do about it can lead to convincing oneself that how one appears is really how one wants to be. Sheldon didn't like being softened and de-robotised by Amy, or said he didn't. He'd consciously imitated Spock. He said he was complete in himself and didn't need another half. A woman was an interesting addition but not a necessity. However, when he was told his own mother had thought no woman would ever want him, he surprisingly cared deeply.

Unawarenes and naiivety is endearing  in a young, absent-minded- professor type :  'So heavenly-minded he's no earthly use, bless his heart' kind of thing.  It  loses its sweetness in a man approaching forty when he's no longer seen in the context of being surrounded by horny bachelors .  I didn't like the story about how the triple knock began, either.  Perhaps he was rationalising  the compulsion, trying to make it seem reasonable. I didn't buy it.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1