[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

12 hours ago, Burberry said:

Maybe they will add more comedy this time

I hope so. My favorite eps are still ensemble eps and i wish we'd have more of them...the whole gang, or most of it doing something together. I also like the unusual pairings eps. I don't care at all about shipping or babies, although I like some of it occasionally, and am not surprised the show went to couples.

9 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I always thought Qualls would of been more suited to the role of Pennys Brother.

I can see that. But maybe it's because I loathed the actual portrayal of Penny's brother so much.

6 hours ago, bfm said:

I too have a hard time picturing him playing highly romantic scenes with a woman. It kinda works with Shamy but there are times when it doesn't work for me there either.

I think he made an excellent Muppet. That scene in that one Muppet movie when the Muppet imagines himself as human and it's Jim in the mirror really cracked me up. There's just something off about him physically. The height may be it.

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Jim and Johnny were born to play Leonard and Sheldon. We talk about ships here. But to me this ship is THE most important dynamic in this show. And it ties the whole show together. Than you add Kaley/Penny who just kinda throws up all the Atoms in the air. 

I feel that way, too. That has always been the most important dynamic in the show to me from the first time I saw them work it. They can do anything they want with the rest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I hope so. My favorite eps are still ensemble eps and i wish we'd have more of them...the whole gang, or most of it doing something together. I also like the unusual pairings eps. I don't care at all about shipping or babies, although I like some of it occasionally, and am not surprised the show went to couples.

I can see that. But maybe it's because I loathed the actual portrayal of Penny's brother so much.

I think he made an excellent Muppet. That scene in that one Muppet movie when the Muppet imagines himself as human and it's Jim in the mirror really cracked me up. There's just something off about him physically. The height may be it.

I feel that way, too. That has always been the most important dynamic in the show to me from the first time I saw them work it. They can do anything they want with the rest.

Interesting

5 hours ago, chucky said:

That's your opinion based on Jim being the only one playing the role of Sheldon Cooper. Other actors can play the role just as good or better had Jim not landed the role. You would never have known the difference because there would be nothing to compare their interpretation to since Jim would never had played the part.

It's hard to put a finger on why the show is so successful. There are many factors, one of them being the main casting. They all seem to fit their role well. It's demonstrated when we get odd characters cropping up who stick out as unsuitable. If there were other actors in the roles playing them as well, or almost as well,  we'd never have known any different but I wonder whether the world would love the series as much. It will never be proven one way or the other unless they have to recast somebody.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

If someone other than Jim were to play the part it would dramatically change the dynamic.  If Johnny played him ( or any short guy) he would almost certainly have to be a bit of a Nepoleon and his weirdness would come off differently.    The other characters would have to respond to it differently no matter how well he dealt with the material.  On the other hand I can’t in a million years see Jim playing any kind of romantic (even Big Bang style romantic) lead because TO ME he is Just never ever “hot”.   But then maybe I am underestimating them as actors.  I kind of think those two were just born to play those roles and the whole show was just incredibly well cast.  

I think you have a good point here and I do somewhat agree. I don't think any other actor could have played Sheldon as well as Jim. That why he was chosen for the part. And I am not exactly a Sheldon fan. 

I agree the dynamic of the show would be different. But the dynamic on any show where a character is strongly identified with the actor who plays that part would have changed if a different actor had played that part.  Some examples: 

The dynamic of Seinfeld would have been completely different had 3 different Actor played the supporting roles

If a different actor had played Sam Malone on Cheers the dynamic of the show would have changed dramatically 

Same thing if a different actor had played Jack Tripper on Three's Company. The dynamic of the show would have been dramatically changed.  It may not have lasted as long 

If a different actor had played Fonzie on Happy Days the show dynamic would have been much different and Fonzie  character being played by a different actor may have only been around for a couple seasons at most.  Happy Days would not have lasted as long as it did.  It would be a different show 

If  a different actor had played Archie Bunker on All In the Family the dynamic of the show would be completely changed and dramatically different.  The show may not have lasted as long with a different actor playing the part. 

21 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

It's hard to put a finger on why the show is so successful. There are many factors, one of them being the main casting. They all seem to fit their role well. It's demonstrated when we get odd characters cropping up who stick out as unsuitable. If there were other actors in the roles playing them as well, or almost as well,  we'd never have known any different but I wonder whether the world would love the series as much. It will never be proven one way or the other unless they have to recast somebody.

I agree. I think it been successful because of all of them. Not just one person alone. It a great  ensemble cast that feed off each other really well. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I agree, TBBT Cast is different than, say, Batman or Superman movies. Different actors played Superman and Batman, so you can honestly say that this guy was better in the role than another. In TBBT, only one person has played each character, so saying Jim plays Sheldon the best is merely opinion as we have nothing to compare him against. The most you can say is "I love how Jim plays Sheldon" or "Isn't Jim great as Sheldon". With that being said, I personally think each cast member is perfect for the character they portray. They have each made their characters  their own and they, the cast, make TBBT the best it can be. God, I'm long winded today.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Carm6773 said:

Had never heard of him, but remembered the Quiznos commercial after I Googled his name.

Sorry, that doesn't do anything for me.

40 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

Finally four weeks of vacation.

Now even more time can be spent on this forum. :biggrin:

Congratulations. I'm on permanent vacation, called retirement.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carm6773 said:

Had never heard of him, but remembered the Quiznos commercial after I Googled his name.

I remember he had recurring roles in Shows ED and Judging Amy. But BBT was really his breakthrough Role. Unlike Johnny who had already found fame through Roseanne. Which really was his breakthrough role. Than he found even bigger success in TBBT. Johnny always said he finds himself very lucky to be part of two very iconic sitcoms. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

I remember he had recurring roles in Shows ED and Judging Amy. But BBT was really his breakthrough Role. Unlike Johnny who had already found fame through Roseanne. Which really was his breakthrough role. Than he found even bigger success in TBBT. Johnny always said he finds himself very lucky to be part of two very iconic sitcoms. 

Good to know. I hadn't heard of Jim Parsons prior to TBBT.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chucky said:

Either way, the actor who portrayed Randall was too clean cut for me to believe he was a meth cooker, dealer or addict. 

One of the most miscast roles ever in TBBT. Him and Meemah. Both atrocious choices, IMO

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Carlos said:

One of the most miscast roles ever in TBBT. Him and Meemah. Both atrocious choices, IMO

Oh, yes, atrocious is being way too kind. That is why I was so worried about Leonard's dad and Amy's parents. But they did a terrific job with them. I wonder once in awhile if we will ever see Leonard's dad again. I guess there's a better chance now than there was last year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Oh, yes, atrocious is being way too kind. That is why I was so worried about Leonard's dad and Amy's parents. But they did a terrific job with them. I wonder once in awhile if we will ever see Leonard's dad again. I guess there's a better chance now than there was last year.

How can you go wrong with Kathy Bates, Teller and Judd Hirsch? They were perfect. Love to see Alfred and Mary together again in an episode talking about their time together in Texas and New York. That would drive Sheldon batty.  :hi:

• Like 3

On 6/18/2018 at 11:24 PM, vonmar said:

According to Alex's IG story, it looks like the writers are back to work and prepping for Season 12.

The same writers? No hope of a quality recovery then.

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

The same writers? No hope of a quality recovery then.

I fear that you are soooo correct. I know the lord moves in mysterious ways, but I think I don't believe he really cares about the TBBT writing abilities.  😄

Edited by chucky

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I fear that you are soooo correct. I know the lord moves in mysterious ways, but I think I don't believe he really cares about the TBBT writing abilities.  😄

I also feel that the Supreme Court will not issue a reprieve either.  :sungum:

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I think he might. I pray for writers daily. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chucky said:

Love to see Alfred and Mary together again in an episode talking about their time together in Texas and New York. That would drive Sheldon batty. 

I'd love to see Mary anytime. Laurie has perfect  comedic timing. But Mary and Alfred were gold.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, Die Zimtzicke said:

I'd love to see Mary anytime. Laurie has perfect  comedic timing. But Mary and Alfred were gold.

It didn't hurt that they drove both Sheldon and Beverly bananas. 😊

Edited by chucky
  • Like 4

Just had a random thought, Hollywood loves remaking old shows and cartoons as summer blockbuster type movies these days. The experience Kunal has from paying Raj for 11 years makes him perfect for the lead in a live action remake of...

Pepe Lapew 

tenor.gif.80fedccbf19e1b0825e6b4fd4d257be3.gif

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2