The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Tensor said:

So, he's always wanted to be a manipulative jerk?   See, I could buy, and wasn't bothered by the early Sheldon negative reactions, just because it was his innocence, or ignorance of the situations that made it believable.   However, since his "organic" changes, his manipulative actions now have a darker connotation.    Organic changes would have included his becoming aware of what his actions were doing to others.   He's doing the same manipulative things, but he's doing them, even though he now knows better.  So, no, I don't buy the changes being organic.   I didn't start to dislike Sheldon until the eight episode of season 6.   As more and more episodes, after that, indicated he was aware, of his actions, it became obvious he knew what he was doing, and still went ahead and did them, just to be manipulative or to get what he wanted.  

Exactly. Before, he didn't know any better. Now he's just a dick.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Agree   Two instances come to mind:   Roommate Dissection - when he blackmailed Priya into getting the RM to benefit him  and Itchy Brain Simulation - where he was "diabolical" as Amy stated   If I had a best friend like this I would seriously consider the relationship.

Think what also comes to mind is when he admitted to Amy that he got his drivers license but kept it a secret because he likes being chaffeured around....guess that is what he thinks friends are for!

Sheldon disent have friends, he has minions 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, JE7 said:

Sheldon disent have friends, he has minions 

His friends are largely treated as minions.

But hey, Sheldon AS WRITTEN is about straight-talking, speaking up without regard for consequences, never backing down, doing things his way, having no regard for norms, or social conventions, defying PC niceties, and winning, regardless of what that means for those around him. He wins so much. Gotta love a winner.

And Leonard, who was once WRITTEN AS heroic and fought with an ogre, drops his head and sighs and mutters and goes along. And even his wife Penny is WRITTEN TO let the winner win and goes further - conforming to the winner's paradigm and totally subjugating her own previously anarchic wild child soul to the winner's will. When she signed up for an RA she lost and the winner won.

I'm tired of the WRITING OF THE winning. At least there is an end date. Hopefully it ends with THE WRITING of Leonard's and Penny's release. /unhinged r.

edit: lucky this is a fictional tale. Nothing like real life at all. 

Edited by Nogravitasatall
To clarify that it's the writing. :) Gesundheit.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

His friends are largely treated as minions.

:icon_neutral:

minions-mini-movie-thumbnail.png.dade34ec48531d502b777344f0404bb3.png because he figures he is Homo Novus

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

7 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Agree   Two instances come to mind:   Roommate Dissection - when he blackmailed Priya into getting the RM to benefit him  and Itchy Brain Simulation - where he was "diabolical" as Amy stated   If I had a best friend like this I would seriously consider the relationship.

Think what also comes to mind is when he admitted to Amy that he got his drivers license but kept it a secret because he likes being chaffeured around....guess that is what he thinks friends are for!

I have to agree. I mean I'm not trying to hate on Sheldon. He is imo one of the most unique characters in tv history. 

But the thing with Sheldon 1.0 or vintage Sheldon. Was his inability to relate to any human being in any way, made him so endearing. Once they started exploiting on Sheldons worst attributes and flaws. Things shifted for me. Always was the excuse. "Oh Sheldon does not know any better". That is why the "Sheldon has grown crowd". Should of been dismayed last season. I thought that episode last season where Christopher Lloyd played a bum. And his behaviour throughout out the episode was outrageous. And because he has grown. It's just borderline asinine now. What's just as bad is why his friends continue to enable and tolerate his behaviour. 

That is why I've never buyed that Leonard and Sheldon are best friends. It seems to be a friendship of convience for Sheldon. And Leonard is the looser every single time. So from what ive observed Leonard seems really happy he no longer has Sheldon to babysit. And he's Amy's problem now :sarcastichand:. Things won't move forward for Lenny until they fully released from Sheldon. Won't happen till series final though. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

That is why I've never buyed that Leonard and Sheldon are best friends. It seems to be a friendship of convience for Sheldon. And Leonard is the looser every single time.

Sheldon is still one part like Beverly, one part kid who likes games and some new parts and Leonard has his own issues still so... ...its not quite like your average friendship.

Sheldon is not quite your average 40ish guy. How many would watch sponge bob if there were no kids around?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Thanks for the link. It's an interesting take on the episode. Not really sure if that was just the journalist's interpretation, but if really the mid-life career crisis the guys are going through mirrors the new challenges lorre and the other writers are facing as the tv landscape is changing, that is really interesting. As lorre found new ways to make tv and has a lot on his plate right now, I hope also the guys can find new projects in the future...anyway, not sure how the people at CERN will like to hear the LHC didn't give the ecpected results, lol!

Ramona's come from there. I wonder if she'll have something to say ?

17 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Sheldon is still one part like Beverly, one part kid who likes games and some new parts and Leonard has his own issues still so... ...its not quite like your average friendship.

Sheldon is not quite your average 40ish guy. How many would watch sponge bob if there were no kids around?

While you're mostly correct in your assessment of the characters, the examples you give are subtleties. For me it's very simple: Sheldon's an asshole, Leonard is not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Sheldon is not quite your average 40ish guy. How many would watch sponge bob if there were no kids around

vintage Sheldon did not have interest in Spongebob (atleast I don't remember anything specific). Infact he mocked Zack using it  as a reference:/ I would have preferred if Sheldon listened to Richard Feynman lectures and read physics periodicals on the plane, like he used to. I think they dumbed him down in this instance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, serena_1995 said:

vintage Sheldon did not have interest in Spongebob (atleast I don't remember anything specific). Infact he mocked Zack using it  as a reference:/ I would have preferred if Sheldon listened to Richard Feynman lectures and read physics periodicals on the plane, like he used to. I think they dumbed him down in this instance.

I think they wanted to show him as innocent in this case. He could not have been fixating about the kiss.

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Actually, to my experience plenty. Spongebob is a bit of a cult classic among nerds of his age group. A few years older or younger and you might not get it but the now 30-somethings? Yeah, I've spend a fair share of time watching that show with some geeky friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tensor said:

My daughters watched it.  After they grew out of it, I still watched it.  

Yep, that happens, too. It's a fun show so no need to be snobby about it.

Or cartoons in general. There are some amazing shows out there that are animated and I'm sure some people dismiss as childish and thus not worthy or that it says something negative about characters watching them. If the guys would start watching, say, Steven Universe I'd be delighted cause the show is great.

• Like 2

So?  Ya know, I'm not sure we really should be talking about how others post.  If others want to comment that way, they are allowed.  We generally don't allow comments about how others post.  So, for now, I'm dropping out.  I'll leave Tripper a note about it and get his thoughts.  

19 minutes ago, April said:

Yep, that happens, too. It's a fun show so no need to be snobby about it.

Or cartoons in general. There are some amazing shows out there that are animated and I'm sure some people dismiss as childish and thus not worthy or that it says something negative about characters watching them. If the guys would start watching, say, Steven Universe I'd be delighted cause the show is great.

I'm still collecting DVDs of the Warner Brothers cartoons of the 40s and 50s.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, April said:

Actually, to my experience plenty. Spongebob is a bit of a cult classic among nerds of his age group. A few years older or younger and you might not get it but the now 30-somethings? Yeah, I've spend a fair share of time watching that show with some geeky friends.

I had no idea. 

After four kids I have had more than my fill of kids programming.

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I had no idea. 

After four kids I have had more than my fill of kids programming.

Animation in general has a bit of a renaissance right now and tons of "kids programming" is huge with the 20/30/even40-something geek crowd.

On 08/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, Tensor said:

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you mean by "we literally know nothing about it?"

Gravity had been one of the least researched field for ages.The main work we have on it os Einstein's general relativity which has remained unproven for years.We only recently found gravitational waves (one wave)!The way my professor stated it...if from 0 to 10 our knowledge on quantum electrodynamics is 10 and on nuclear physicsis a 3 then gravity is a 0

1 hour ago, DoctorWhat said:

Gravity had been one of the least researched field for ages.The main work we have on it os Einstein's general relativity which has remained unproven for years.We only recently found gravitational waves (one wave)!The way my professor stated it...if from 0 to 10 our knowledge on quantum electrodynamics is 10 and on nuclear physicsis a 3 then gravity is a 0

Gravity waves. Science waves back. Hehe

edit: gravitational waves isn't so easily anthropomorphised hehe again

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I was pretty  sure they are gravitational...english is not my mother tongue though but we were taught english terminology at uni.

47 minutes ago, DoctorWhat said:

I was pretty  sure they are gravitational...english is not my mother tongue though but we were taught english terminology at uni.

You are entirely right. I completely apologise for giving the impression that I was correcting you. I was poorly making a joke using a pun. Sorry for the confusion. I was using "wave" in the hand waving sense and  pretending Gravity was a person. Plays on words are difficult to translate. Maybe it should have gone like this:

"Gravity" waves its hand (like the Queen of Australia waves her hand from her carriage)

Science (again an abstraction personified) nods and says  "...'sup?"

It probably still doesn't work as a joke, but it was funny in my head. Again, I am remorseful for any distress or misunderstanding. 

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

You are entirely right. I completely apologise for giving the impression that I was correcting you. I was poorly making a joke using a pun. Sorry for the confusion. I was using "wave" in the hand waving sense and  pretending Gravity was a person. Plays on words are difficult to translate. Maybe it should have gone like this:

"Gravity" waves its hand (like the Queen of Australia waves her hand from her carriage)

Science (again an abstraction personified) nods and says  "...'sup?"

It probably still doesn't work as a joke, but it was funny in my head. Again, I am remorseful for any distress or misunderstanding. 

Funny both times. Love the  " 'sup?" addition!!!

4 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

(Excuse on me, I’m just some kind of an engineer)
It reminds me on this odd ode:
Sheldon: "Oh, Duchess, look at me. My quantum gravity's positively loopy."
S7 - The Relationship Diremption

:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2