[Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread

Tensor

Is Beverly growing up at last ? The only time she really bonded with Penny was when Penny taught her to booze. She called Penny her 'home girl'.At Sheldon's birthday party she thanked Penny for not inviting her to the wedding,  but by 9.23 some weeks later she admitted she was hurt by her son's getting married without her. For her sake, Penny arranged another wedding so that's something else to appreciate Penny for. Now she's spending more time talking to Penny,and talking sweetly to Leonard. Is she second-guessing the child-rearing practices of her youth ?

OR : does she have another motive ? Is she being petty ? I wonder if Beverly is trying to buoy Penny up because she's jealous of Mary Cooper's getting a high-achieving daughter-in-law ? Beverly has a high-achieving son and daughter besides Leonard, although Mary has a 'dumb as soup' son and daughter besides Sheldon. Perhaps that's not enough for Beverly.  She's always bonded better with Sheldon and in some way wishes he was hers. 'Thou shalt not covet' means nothing to Beverly the atheist. Perhaps she's going to manipulate Penny into accomplishing something.  

Just a couple of thoughts ..... I wonder if either will turn out to be the case ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

Agree mostly, but at this point the Sheldon/Howard interactions are becoming an annual event.  Would like to see more of the Leonard/Amy interaction as they have the close link with each of their significant others.  We have had only two Leonard/Bernadette interactions (I'm counting when she was new and was interested in Leonard's work, even though they were one-on-one) so I would like to see that as well.......

Agree 100% There are un-mined pairings that could be explored. Penny/Howard, Stuart/Amy, even some deeper Leonard/Raj.

The Sheldon/Howard stuff can be fun, but Howard has often showed a deep and real antipathy towards Sheldon that he usually doesn't try very hard to conceal. Equally real is Sheldon's disdain for Howard's vocation. Sheldon: Howard, if I may interject here with a piece of friendly advice. Is working on magic tricks really how you want to spend your time? Granted, you’re just an engineer, but that doesn't mean you might not someday build a geegaw or a thingamabob that may get you a thank you in someone else’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Is Beverly growing up at last ? The only time she really bonded with Penny was when Penny taught her to booze. She called Penny her 'home girl'.At Sheldon's birthday party she thanked Penny for not inviting her to the wedding,  but by 9.23 some weeks later she admitted she was hurt by her son's getting married without her. For her sake, Penny arranged another wedding so that's something else to appreciate Penny for. Now she's spending more time talking to Penny,and talking sweetly to Leonard. Is she second-guessing the child-rearing practices of her youth ?

OR : does she have another motive ? Is she being petty ? I wonder if Beverly is trying to buoy Penny up because she's jealous of Mary Cooper's getting a high-achieving daughter-in-law ? Beverly has a high-achieving son and daughter besides Leonard, although Mary has a 'dumb as soup' son and daughter besides Sheldon. Perhaps that's not enough for Beverly.  She's always bonded better with Sheldon and in some way wishes he was hers. 'Thou shalt not covet' means nothing to Beverly the atheist. Perhaps she's going to manipulate Penny into accomplishing something.  

Just a couple of thoughts ..... I wonder if either will turn out to be the case ?

I don't think she is envious of Marry because of Amy... I think she is softening just a tinie tiny little bit. She did agree with Alfred when he said Leonard was a wonderful man (or something like that). 

Edited by bfm
  • Like 4

They renewed their vows because she was upset that she wasn't present during their wedding. You would think that would have gone some way towards Beverly softening her stance on Penny. If their renewal ceremony achieved that then some real good came from it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SRAM said:

To me it makes perfect sense that Sheldon is a horrible driver, we have seen him drive badly when he took Penny to the hospital, we have seen him crash on Howard's simulator, he has told Leonard he mixes up the pedals and now we will see him drive badly with Howard.  Actually him not being able to drive is some of the best continuity I think we have on the show across all the seasons, so I like this plot in the episode.

Also, @NotWonderland thank you so much for the taping report.

Another great post @SRAM !!  I wanted to give it a like a thank you and any of the other new responses that are positive!!!!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't think she is envious of Marry because of Amy... I think she is softening just a tinie tiny little bit. She did agree with Alfred when he said Leonard was a wonderful man (or something like that). 

8 minutes ago, Jonny said:

They renewed their vows because she was upset that she wasn't present during their wedding. You would think that would have gone some way towards Beverly softening her stance on Penny. If their renewal ceremony achieved that then some real good came from it.

Yes, I think they're smoothing off some of Beverly's rough edges like they do with so many of the other characters. Good thing in terms of continuity cause Penny's efforts and basically the whole plot motivation for 9x23-10x01 weren't for naught.

Beverly will probably always have a sharp tongue and may not realise when she's neglecting Leonard again but she's trying. Or at least she appears so here.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Agree 100% There are un-mined pairings that could be explored. Penny/Howard, Stuart/Amy, even some deeper Leonard/Raj.

The Sheldon/Howard stuff can be fun, but Howard has often showed a deep and real antipathy towards Sheldon that he usually doesn't try very hard to conceal. Equally real is Sheldon's disdain for Howard's vocation. Sheldon: Howard, if I may interject here with a piece of friendly advice. Is working on magic tricks really how you want to spend your time? Granted, you’re just an engineer, but that doesn't mean you might not someday build a geegaw or a thingamabob that may get you a thank you in someone else’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Yes! Howard and Leonard seem to get the brunt of Sheldon's insults.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Yes! Howard and Leonard seem to get the brunt of Sheldon's insults.

And Sheldon gets the brunt of their insults. Give and take, yadda yadda...

I mean, the show itself pointed out that the feud between Howard and Sheldon started because of Howard and then neither of them could let it go and it escalated. But for the past years they've made some efforts to mellow the relationship and we got a bunch of episodes with them bonding over family issues like their trip to Houston, Sheldon comforting Howard after his mother dies, Sheldon reassuring Howard he'll be a good dad, and now some more about their dads. It's good continuity here.

So as it is with pretty much all the friendships on this show: Under all the barbs and snide remarks there's a lot of heart and when push comes to shove the gang will stick together and support each other. <3

Edited by April
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Koala Face 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

I think there is a bit of regret inside of Beverly's hard exterior.  She sees that her son is a success despite of his treatment when he was a child.  She sees he is happily married and in a good place.....

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

25 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I think there is a bit of regret inside of Beverly's hard exterior.  She sees that her son is a success despite of his treatment when he was a child.  She sees he is happily married and in a good place.....

I also think this is another example of why Leonard and Penny work together, Penny's efforts to bond with her mother-in-law has brought Beverly closer to them and has improved her relationship with her son.  Stuart was right, Leonard and Penny complement each other and together they make an awesome person.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

26 minutes ago, April said:

And Sheldon the the brunt of their insults. Give and take, yadda yadda...

I mean, the show itself pointed out that the feud between Howard and Sheldon started because of Howard and then neither of them could let it go and it escalated. But for the past years they've made some efforts to mellow the relationship and we got a bunch of episodes with them bonding over family issues like their trip to Houston, Sheldon comforting Howard after his mother dies, Sheldon reassuring Howard he'll be a good dad, and now some more about their dads. It's good continuity here.

So as it is with pretty much all the friendships on this show: Under all the barbs and snide remarks there's a lot of heart and when push comes to shove the gang will stick together and support each other. <3

I agree with you 10000%. One of my favorite things about this show is the depth of the characters relationships and how they relate to eachother. They have all said some jokes, teased eachother but in the end they are the best of friends. They always have eachother back...

• Like 3
  • It's a Tiara 1

3 minutes ago, NotWonderland said:

The episode title was The Explosion Implosion, i also think the model rocket not taking off was because it was old. Howards father bought it for him before he left and Sheldon mentioned he wanted one when he was younger. 

It makes all sense, thanks for the explanation. I really like Howard and Sheldon bonding over family stuff.  People grow up, the life sometimes is hard but the good thing is friendships deepens and friends bond even more . Howard and Sheldon realy had came along nicely through the years to a better place without loosing their quirkyness completely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Koala Face 1

^^^  Who's this blonde woman in the middle of the couch? Does she also play in the first episode? She may have been hiding behind a kitchen-island to avoid getting into the promotional pictures. :scratchhead:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, veejay said:

^^^  Who's this blonde woman in the middle of the couch? Does she also play in the first episode? She may have been hiding behind a kitchen-island to avoid getting into the promotional pictures. :scratchhead:

Those have to be some of the worst choice of promotional pictures they have had in a long time, come on three pictures of just Amy and Sheldon on the same couch and then of Sheldon on the same damm couch.  Then several of the cafeteria, it makes it look like the most boring episode ever.  And who in their right mine purposely leaves a main cast member out of the pictures, that is like hinting that cast member isn't even in the episode.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Those have to be some of the worst choice of promotional pictures they have had in a long time, come on three pictures of just Amy and Sheldon on the same couch and then of Sheldon on the same damm couch.  Then several of the cafeteria, it makes it look like the most boring episode ever.  And who in their right mine purposely leaves a main cast member out of the pictures, that is like hinting that cast member isn't even in the episode.

I have been waiting for that close up of Stuart. Rather look at him than Penny.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SRAM said:

That’s just a ridiculous business, but hey…

o_0560.gif.4b37d7b31de376bba88c9780931260f7.gif

:icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bfm said:

Does anyone think there is some underlying motive to  her softening........maybe helping Penny in getting a new job or bonding more as a potential grandmother?

• Like 1

• Tensor pinned this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unpinned this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic