Sign in to follow this  
johnanders

Canned Laughter

My wife & I love the Big Bang Theory < The scripts, acting/production>, however, we could do without the canned/fake laughter.  Why isn't this great show filmed before a live studio audience???

55 minutes ago, johnanders said:

My wife & I love the Big Bang Theory < The scripts, acting/production>, however, we could do without the canned/fake laughter.  Why isn't this great show filmed before a live studio audience???

First off, welcome to the forum.    The show is filmed before a live audience, what you hear, and what you called canned/fake laughter, is the reaction of the audience.  We have a thread where people who have gone to a taping, report back to us as to what the taping showed.  

• Like 2

It sounds like audience laughter enhanced with canned laughter.

After all, the second or third take - which the show often uses in the broadcast - generally don't generate as much laughter as the third take, so, there's a logic to enhancing the laughter of the third take.

But, yes, I find the laughter to be excessive.

• Like 1

Take it from someone who has been at a live taping, it’s REAL laughter. Even on the second or third take, we are still laughing. You do get “encouraged” to laugh again so at times it can sound a little forced - but it is real laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I have heard it is a mixture of live audience laughter and canned laughter. Not sure about that though. 

You heard wrong.  It's all real laughter. It does get edited, but it's all from the audience laughter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

You heard wrong.  It's all real laughter. It does get edited, but it's all from the audience laughter. 

And when it gets edited it's often to cut down the audience reaction. Like, the proposal from the S10 finale - there are videos that have the audience going wild for a lot longer than the final cut of the episode. People who went to tapings have reported similar things to all sorts of episodes and sometimes you can see these situations in bloopers when the actors can't keep a straight face because the reaction. lol

• It's a Tiara 1