Tripper

1104 - 'The Explosion Implosion' (October 16)

Recommended Posts

'The Explosion Implosion' - Season 11, Episode 4 
Airs Monday, October 16 at 8/7c on CBS.

Wolowitz and Sheldon bond when they drive to the desert to shoot off a model rocket. Also, when Leonard's mom, Beverly, finds a new best friend in Penny, it rubs Leonard the wrong way.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best episode in the last couple of years. Got a kick out of the bad vote for the episode. Must have been because the one couple was only together in the opening scene.

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chrismo said:
Best episode in the last couple of years. Got a kick out of the bad vote for the episode. Must have been because the one couple was only together in the opening scene.

Lenny are loved by a few and hated by many. What did you expect. Comments about how great the episode was? Lol. 

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

-Being a father isn't about brainwashing your kid into sports. But I don't think we're ever going to get past the "I'm not this apparent norm, how do I function in life?" stage. Show won't last long enough for us to see Howard raising the boy at an age where they can interact, unless we get a flash forward. Hope they can still find a way to tell this story in its full scope.

-TMI Beverly.

-Yes, we're all lucky ducks when we get perks in spite of a father's abandonment.

-Sad Childhood Club. No Rajesh's welcome. I guess being independent for almost a year doesn't erase 30 years of delusion-ally thinking your social status was already a trial.

-Ah, the worst way to bond. Gossip. At least Penny doesn't have to listen to tales of Beverly's father.

-Precious memorabilia shattered.

-"What do you know about raising a girl?". Sheldon with the right response. Why hasn't Howard freaked about that? He's applying strange standards to one gender but not the other.

-Does anyone check their e-mail more than once a week? Anyhow, OOC for Leonard to act like a life choice he made could hurt his mom. 

-An amazing trigonometry riddle.

-It's not much, but Bernadette gets to say what sibling dynamic she preferred. And it has a reason intertwined with her character history. Low expectations make for pleasant surprises.

-Yeah, I used to think you could only have one best friend too, Amy. Definitely a very dishonest term. If everyone's the best there is no meaning to the ranking.

-Would YOU trust Sheldon behind the wheel? But hey, this is good experience for Howard to get a grasp of how to teach his son a life skill.

-Ok, I do NOT believe the Penny this show usually presents us would not slip and complain about Leonard. Being proud that he married well is also still like calling your son 2nd best.

-I understand that terrified feeling. It completely matters who you are in the car with when driving.

-"Don't tell me what to do, you're not my father". 10 years for a Sheldon driving scene but it's a sweet bucket list marker. 

-Aw, damnit. There goes the license. One step of development is always another 500 steps back. Classic TBBT. But whatever, it just sped 112 miles past the rest of S11 quality. Next week: We go back to pretending Penny is Sheldon's maternal figure.

Edited by Tensor
Removed comment about a spoiler for 1106, not the taping report for this episode, 1104.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks as though the lines in which Sheldon explained the explosion were cut. 

I wonder what car Sheldon drove by himself ? It can't have been Amy's because although she taught him to drive he hadn't told her he'd passed his test. Could it have been a hire car ?

Now we know sixteen is the driving age in India.

Raj's fleeting expression after agreeing he had to adapt his sister's clothes was interesting. Kudos Kunal. 

I'm glad Penny impresses Beverly. Beverly is more perceptive, it seems, than she seems. :) I'm not surprised Penny didn't complain to her about Leonard.

Edited by joyceraye
Removing a spoiler line. Adding an extra comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I wonder what car Sheldon drove by himself ? It can't have been Amy's because although she taught him to drive he hadn't told her he'd passed his test. Could it have been a hire car ?

Raj's fleeting expression after agreeing he had to adapt his sister's clothes was interesting. Kudos Kunal. 

You cannot rent a car in the U.S. unless you can prove you have auto insurance. Very few license holders that do not own, or frequently drive, a car will have insurance. So, it is unlikely that Sheldon rented a car. 

I took Raj's expression as meaning they were not his sister's clothes that he had altered. Seemed to me that he was alluding to having purchased women's clothes for himself and then done the alterations. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. The Penny and Beverly story was really good. Kaley shines when she has something to work with.

Not sure I really buy the lead foot Sheldon bit. Daredevil Sheldon just isn't believable.

You would think that engineer Howard would have replaced the rocket engine with one that was new. 

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2
  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Lenny are loved by a few and hated by many. What did you expect. Comments about how great the episode was? 

This is quite true. I liked the ep, but I don't see it as a reaffirmation of Lenny. They weren't together that much.  I liked Raj and Bernadette, Amy with Leonard and I like Sheldon with Howard. I'd prefer things where the group was all involved in something together, like the scavenger hunt or the parking spot escalation, but having some unusual pairing going on once in awhile is entertaining to me. This ep was better than a lot of what we've seen lately.

8 hours ago, Shelldon said:

Does anyone check their e-mail more than once a week? Anyhow, OOC for Leonard to act like a life choice he made could hurt his mom. 

I check my e-mail more than once a week. I don't think it's OOC. He would love to be able to do something to at least one up her and this is along the same lines.

8 hours ago, Shelldon said:

Ok, I do NOT believe the Penny this show usually presents us would not slip and complain about Leonard. Being proud that he married well is also still like calling your son 2nd best

I totally agree. As for her not listening to Bev complain about her husband, she probably did  or will.

Edited by Tensor
Removed comment about Lenny fans desires
  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

I took Raj's expression as meaning they were not his sister's clothes that he had altered. Seemed to me that he was alluding to having purchased women's clothes for himself and then done the alterations. 

That whole part of the episode could have been eliminated.

Each scene had like 3-4 lines, then shifted to another scene.  It was like watching a series of film clips of a longer show.

  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay here go my two cents...

I thought the episode was good and had some nice moments (and a crappy line, the infamous "I married you to hurt her" which I choose just to ignore, the writers seem to not know what they were doing with that line, for me it's like a typo). I thought Christine Baranski killed it! and Johnny was great too. Sheldon was not such a big part and was funny at times, it had rare pairings... But here's the thing. It's like on paper the episode was great (again, minus the typo) but I didn't feel it was great. It felt like a nice passtime but not a highly enjoyable thing that I feel like I want more of. I didn't laugh a lot, I wasn't very touched (I was somewhat with Leonard crying because Johnny is just great but that was short), I wasn't intrigued... I just had a nice time. I think the show is overstaying its welcome, it's just getting old. The episode was good, it wasn't bad at all, but it just wasn't great and I wonder how much great episodes they can still make.

So Beverly... Christine was awesome. really awesome. Beverly talking about her private life in the first chat was one of the funniest moments in the episode for me, it really went back to "The Maternal Saturation". But I was more impressed with her acting in the second chat. She managed to make Beverly seem geniunley lonely and in search of company without getting completely out of character. We got to see something else in an otherwise "one note" character. As to the character... I think there is something about Leonard or about being a parent that gets to her in a way that brings out this awful treatment she gives him. Who knows what kind of parents she had... But I'll probably never be able to dissect Beverly so I won't even try.

Leonard... Poor thing. As I said I ignore the typo, that was very low but again a typo... Before the episode was aired I wrote in Dark that I can see why he gets upset. I put it down to two things: 1) He was treated horribly by the woman who was supposed to love and protect him the most, but he barely gets recognition of how terrible that is. When he got it from Dr. Gallow he beamed. Penny getting close to her might feel like he's losing support for "his side". 2) His mother showing appreciation to everyone but him. That must hurt like crazy every time and make him really feel unworthy.  I think both of thesewere reflected in his dialoge (monologue) with Amy. Which I think was performed execllently. Johnny is so underrated. In the end though all that Leonard got was "You married well". Ugh. Beverly.

Penny...Could have been more supportive of Leonard but that would be expecting too much of TPTB. I think she kind of felt sorry for Beverly, that was nice. It was also nice to hear that Penny did not complain abou Leonard, I think the typo was the worst line of the episode and that one was the best. 

Howardette's disappointment was funny. I liked their scene. 

Raj had some nice lines like "my pain is real" and about making a baby Sheldon shirt. 

Sheldon and Howard... Sheldon was funny at times and Simon played Howard's fears and hopefull moments very well. But the whole thing was predictable, I guess that a big part of why I'm not excited about the episode. It's not that the plot was bad and it had nice and funny moments but it's just too formulaic. It's not much of the writer's fault, IMO, it's mostly the show getting old.

The minor return of Amy's bestie aspirations was a nice touch. I also really liked the Leonard-Amy scene! Okay they didn't actually talk to each other, they didn't actually helped each other, but I've been waiting, for about a year, for evidence that their friendship is strengthening now that they're neighbors. Leonard seeking Amy's help and Amy not dismissing and degrading him was great in that respecet. I hope they develop this friednship further.

  • Like 6
  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeWolf said:

You cannot rent a car in the U.S. unless you can prove you have auto insurance. Very few license holders that do not own, or frequently drive, a car will have insurance. So, it is unlikely that Sheldon rented a car. 

I took Raj's expression as meaning they were not his sister's clothes that he had altered. Seemed to me that he was alluding to having purchased women's clothes for himself and then done the alterations. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. The Penny and Beverly story was really good. Kaley shines when she has something to work with.

Not sure I really buy the lead foot Sheldon bit. Daredevil Sheldon just isn't believable.

You would think that engineer Howard would have replaced the rocket engine with one that was new. 

That's interesting information. Everyone I know who's been to the US has rented a car there. So in addition to all the pfaffing about with paperwork to go there they would have needed to extend their insurance to drive another car abroad before they went ?  I didn't know that.  Here we get the insurance with the hire car. I always pay the excess waiver. I wonder what tourists who don't own cars, such as a lot of Londoners, do ? There's no such thing here,so far as I know, as insurance unless you have a car. 

So would Sheldon have driven his mother's car when he visited Texas, swearing her to secrecy ? She'd have to have 'any driver' insurance I suppose.

That's a good suggestion about Raj's clothes. I didn't think of that interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeWolf said:

You cannot rent a car in the U.S. unless you can prove you have auto insurance. Very few license holders that do not own, or frequently drive, a car will have insurance. So, it is unlikely that Sheldon rented a car. 

They make money by forcing you to buy their auto insurance.

Two weeks ago a friend and I rented a car and we did it under my name as I am already an insured driver and my auto insurance - USAA - covers rental car insurance.  As a result, we saved a boatload of money.

Driver's schools will give you drive time, but it costs money.

18 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Here we get the insurance with the hire car. I always pay the excess waiver. I wonder what tourists who don't own cars, such as a lot of Londoners, do ? There's no such thing here,so far as I know, as insurance unless you have a car. 

That is an option here, as well, but it drives up the cost of renting for those who do not already insure themselves because they own their own car.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

That's interesting information. Everyone I know who's been to the US has rented a car there. So in addition to all the pfaffing about with paperwork to go there they would have needed to extend their insurance to drive another car abroad before they went ?  I didn't know that.  Here we get the insurance with the hire car. I always pay the excess waiver. I wonder what tourists who don't own cars, such as a lot of Londoners, do ? There's no such thing here,so far as I know, as insurance unless you have a car. 

So would Sheldon have driven his mother's car when he visited Texas, swearing her to secrecy ? She'd have to have 'any driver' insurance I suppose.

That's a good suggestion about Raj's clothes. I didn't think of that interpretation.

I don't know what they do with people from outside the U.S. As @Capt. Hilts pointed out, they will sell you exorbitantly priced insurance if you don't have personal insurance of your own. It is over priced, but the option does exist. 

All of the policies I've ever had cover someone operating my vehicle on an incidental, non-routine, basis. This would apply if Sheldon came to visit and needed to use my car for a quick errand. If someone is going to routinely operate my car they are supposed have their own insurance, or be on my policy. Many U.S. carriers will ask about other drivers that may operate your vehicle, or; how many licensed drivers live in your household?

I really see the Sheldon comment about driving by himself as being in the same category as the nonsense about having a commercial fishing license. It makes for a quick laugh but it's something Sheldon would never need, or obtain:

Licenses, Registrations and Stamps Fee Description
Resident Commercial Fishing License $136.99 Required for any resident 16 years of age or older who uses or operates or assists in using or operating any boat, aircraft, net, trap, line, or other appliance to take fish for commercial purposes, or who contributes materially to the activities on board a commercial fishing vessel.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

They make money by forcing you to buy their auto insurance.

Two weeks ago a friend and I rented a car and we did it under my name as I am already an insured driver and my auto insurance - USAA - covers rental car insurance.  As a result, we saved a boatload of money.

Driver's schools will give you drive time, but it costs money.

That is an option here, as well, but it drives up the cost of renting for those who do not already insure themselves because they own their own car.

It sounds like a good idea, to be able to extend your own insurance to drive a hire car.  When my cars were bangers I'd hire one ( they're always pretty new ) if the journey was going to be challenging. On comprehensive policies it's usual to be allowed to drive someone else's car with the owner's permission but that's usually only at the minimum level of third party, which hire firms wouldn't wear for a minute. If an owner is 'fully comp'  s/he can pay extra for 'any driver' which means everyone is fully covered whether they have their own car or not. I used to buy that one when I owned a car. It came in useful for long journeys and to get staff at restaurants or shops to park it for me. Perhaps Sheldon knew someone who did that. Fancy him admitting there was something he wasn't good at because it scared him. When he drove Penny's car and made a mistake he blamed her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.  It was not worth it to have my pal drive.  That would have required buying the firm's insurance as she does not own a car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Lenny fan, this has to be the best episode of the season for me.  I’d like to see a few more of them this season, where Lenny has their own plot.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are some saying, they were bothered by the fact Penny did not critisize Leonard? Isin't that a good thing lol? As far as how they usually present her. Well honestly I am glad they presented her differently. I have yet to watch the episode, so I well see for myself. IT airs tonight over here. So I well watch it then. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a okay episode, it was nice that Lenny finally got there own plot, I hope they get more and as the season progresses.

I did feel sorry for Leonard at first , he has had over a decade of his mother having a better relationship with Sheldon than him. Now he has to deal with Penny having a better relationship with her than  him, that must of been disheartening. However Leonard contacting his mother and finding out that Penny was the spouse she was most impressed by , and Penny was also her favourite, also it was nice to hear that Penny hadn't  complained to his mother about him. But for Leonard to hear that his mother was proud of him for marrying her, for Leonard that was something he will probably never forget.

Edited by Zephon75
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

So are some saying, they were bothered by the fact Penny did not critisize Leonard? Isin't that a good thing lol? As far as how they usually present her. Well honestly I am glad they presented her differently. I have yet to watch the episode, so I well see for myself. IT airs tonight over here. So I well watch it then. 

I think some don't believe that she actually hasn't though on screen I don't remember her criticizing. I will admit she must of said something about Leonard in the episode when he was getting "feel sorry sex" when Penny was reading her book for class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I think some don't believe that she actually hasn't though on screen I don't remember her criticizing. I will admit she must of said something about Leonard in the episode when he was getting "feel sorry sex" when Penny was reading her book for class.

Yeah sure but Penny has always in cannon understood how difficult Leonard's relationship is with his Mother. So I Think it is refreshing to here Penny did not critisize Leonard off screen anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HeWolf said:

I took Raj's expression as meaning they were not his sister's clothes that he had altered. Seemed to me that he was alluding to having purchased women's clothes for himself and then done the alterations. 

I never considered that.

7 hours ago, bfm said:

So Beverly... Christine was awesome. really awesome.

I love it when she shows up. I can't understand why so many fans don't like her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I never considered that.

I love it when she shows up. I can't understand why so many fans don't like her.

You should seperate the character from the actress. I like Christine but Beverly, while funny at times (like in this episode), is a horrible person.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it twice and I can say I was entertained. I liked the whole Leonard/Penny/Beverly interaction, the Leonard/Amy talk and Howard/Sheldon driving. Even the Raj/Bernie was funny. This is a tv show meant to entertain and it did.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the parts I had missed using VOD. Very Good episode from my point of view. Reminded me of rocket club I belonged to when in grades 5 and 6. Typically enjoy Penny Beverly interaction. The Amy Leonard segment was entertaining.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now