Tripper

1105 - The Collaboration Contamination (October 23)

'The Collaboration Contamination' - Season 11, Episode 5 
Airs Monday, October 23 at 8/7c on CBS.

Sheldon and Koothrappali confide in Bernadette when they can't handle Amy and Wolowitz working together. Also, Penny and Leonard learn new tactics for how to deal Sheldon from an unlikely source.

• Like 6

So it was Neil Sedaka ! They do like their Neils these two ! And Amy appreciates Howard's magic tricks. I wasn't expecting that. I loved it.

Pity Sheldon had to find out about the chores and the parenting book.  I wish there really had been something pampering in the gift bag. 

In the end the simplest solution worked : Raj and Sheldon watching a film together I didn't see that coming. I suppose Stuart was at the shop. I wonder where Halley was ? We didn't hear her. The comicbook store won't be suitable now she can run around, or at least crawl, judged by the stair gate last week.

Edited by joyceraye

The Howard/ Amy  plot was pretty good. I thought they liked Neil Diamond not Neil Sedaka.

the rest of the episode IMO was terrible. Penny reading a 0-5 kids book to deal with Sheldon. Did she just meet him? 

Im tired of the Howard/Raj bromance. Really he is jealous of Amy now. Oh he needs a life.

the show lacked originality. Rehashed story.

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

25 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

So it was Neil Sedaka ! They do like their Neils these two ! And Amy appreciates Howard's magic tricks. I wasn't expecting that. I loved it.

I did, too.

25 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

In the end the simplest solution worked : Raj and Sheldon watching a film together I didn't see that coming. I suppose Stuart was at the shop. I wonder where Halley was ? We didn't hear her. The comicbook store won't be suitable now she can run around, or at least crawl, judged by the stair gate last week.

I didn't either. But I wasn't expecting Halley. They said all along they would not show her.

12 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

the rest of the episode IMO was terrible. Penny reading a 0-5 kids book to deal with Sheldon. Did she just meet him? 

When Leonard said if Penny was reading a book anything was possible I almost fell off the couch laughing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Un fortunately for me that was only one of the few laughs

• Like 2

This episode was a bad for me and I don't say that very often. I am usually easily entertained These characters have developed so much which is a good thing, why do the writers take 5 steps forward with Sheldon and then take 10 steps back. It's on the writers.

As for the episode, I loved the Amy/Howard scenes. That's it, that is all I liked about this episode. With the topics it could have been so much better.This makes me :(

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RoRo said:

This episode was a bad for me and I don't say that very often. I am usually easily entertained These characters have developed so much which is a good thing, why do the writers take 5 steps forward with Sheldon and then take 10 steps back. It's on the writers.

As for the episode, I loved the Amy/Howard scenes. That's it, that is all I liked about this episode. With the topics it could have been so much better.This makes me :(

I agree. The problem is though the writers have the need to have Sheldon front and center. If you had him more in the background occasionally you could have him take the steps forward without taking all the steps back.

• Like 6

Good episode. Amy and Howard seemed to work together well. Fun that she liked his card trick.

Raj's look at Sheldon at the end was reminiscent of 2.01.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Good episode. Amy and Howard seemed to work together well. Fun that she liked his card trick.

Raj's look at Sheldon at the end was reminiscent of 2.01.

I agree, but could we please get an episode in which Raj and Sheldon watch a film all the time and don't bother us any more? :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So the Sheldon ,who once gave his friends insight about conducting Schrodinger’s cat thought experiments WHILE learning Mandarin , discussed Victorian social mores as a hobby , talked about  the heroic mythology of looking for fun and ,helped other customers at a store with his tech skills, now  has nothing better to do than  be whiny and wonder why Amy works on Saturdays  like an outdated stereotype from 1950s ??  The quality of Sheldon-centric humor has fallen so much . And so ...Sheldon's regression, mental disintegration, dumbing down  and infantalization continued in 11.05.  It just seemed like Jim Parsons saying some tired unfunny cringe-worthy lines. I wasn’t surprised with Raj though but Sheldon is giving him a serious run for his money .  

When I asked here some time ago, what Amy gets out of being with Sheldon(other than the obvious joy of turning Sheldon into real boy and functional boyfriend) and of what positive value is Sheldon as  person to her life , the answer I got was …crickets…crickets. I am not enjoying Sheldon and Amy dynamic. They would be happier apart, than getting plots together at this point.

7 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I agree. The problem is though the writers have the need to have Sheldon front and center. If you had him more in the background occasionally you could have him take the steps forward without taking all the steps back.

He was  the type of character who could simply be in the background and still manage to be funny and entertaining while watching and commenting on other characters’ drama, romance or money issues with his sharp deadpan wit. IMO, in this episode, they should have done that.  I usually don’t agree with Glamour, but this article has some points about degradation of Sheldon in season 11 :

The Problem With Sheldon in 'The Collaboration Contamination'

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-11-episode-5-recap

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, veejay said:

I agree, but could we please get an episode in which Raj and Sheldon watch a film all the time and don't bother us any more? :scratchhead:

Like that could happen. :no:

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Like that could happen. :no:

They could use Howard’s magic tricks. :shy:

• Haha 3

Not a fan of this episode. Howard and Amy were great together, I enjoyed them and how Amy was excited to work with him. This is a relationship that should be more explored, IMO, there's a lot of potential in them being friends and, why not, coworkers.  For the rest, there were a few laughs, mostly from Bernie's lines and the Shamy scene. The rest was quite annoying. The book was just nonsense (and gave terrible parenting advises), Raj was whiny all the episode and Sheldon was just unbearable. 

• Like 2

I actually really enjoyed this episode. Leonard and Penny and Howard and Amy were the strongest plots. Howard and Amy I enjoyed the most. I agree this is a dynamic they should explore more, has alot of potential. Exploring fresh and new dynamics probably key to remaining fresh in the long term. I laughed through out the episode. Sheldon and Raj were just intolerable and unbearable I agree. They may as well eliminated them from this episode, they contributed nothing. The whole Howard/Raj bromance thing is so over done and played out. Sheldon was just annoying. I am not sure why he still has a problem with Amy working. Even when she walked into 4B. She started telling her day, and he interrupted her. I wonder what Sheldon offers her. You know beyond he is a real boy now, and a functioning Boyfriend. I really laughed out loud at Leonard's line about "If Penny is reading a book, anythings possible" :taunt:.

Speaking about the book. I found this plot endering. I Diddn't see it as terrible parenting advice. I found it funny in the fact, Leonard and Penny finnally found a productive and practical way of managing Sheldon. I actually thought this book could of come handy since the pilot. I Think it also showed Leonard and Penny are no where ready to be parents lol. Both have alot of learning to do. They do differ on alot of things. IT really reminded me of the scene from Guitar Amplification Season 3. Leonard accusing Penny of just giving Sheldon validation. "Forever's a long time". Shows Consistent Cannon, which I liked. I also liked the Leonard/Sheldon car scene. Reminded me of the old days. 

Have to say Sheldon is continuing to regress, and disentegrate. This degradation of Sheldon. Into this dumbed down needy person. Is not really appealing at all. Some of his lines were just cringe worthy. Not sure if this is a writing issue, or direction, or Jim's portrayl atm. All of the above? I don't know. TBH I thought Leonard and Penny carried the episode. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Not a fan of this episode. Howard and Amy were great together, I enjoyed them and how Amy was excited to work with him. This is a relationship that should be more explored, IMO, there's a lot of potential in them being friends and, why not, coworkers.  For the rest, there were a few laughs, mostly from Bernie's lines and the Shamy scene. The rest was quite annoying. The book was just nonsense (and gave terrible parenting advises), Raj was whiny all the episode and Sheldon was just unbearable. 

Really? I thought Sheldon has a lot of unbearable lines and plots throughout the show, but this episode was far from it.

TBH, I felt bad for him in this episode, because in the end he found out about Bernie tricked him to do chores and the book. 

But I really think he needs something to do. Up until now, Season 11 has given me a feeling that Sheldon has lots of spare time, but he hasn't put them to good use. Especially his work.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snapepans said:

Really? I thought Sheldon has a lot of unbearable lines and plots throughout the show, but this episode was far from it.

TBH, I felt bad for him in this episode, because in the end he found out about Bernie tricked him to do chores and the book. 

But I really think he needs something to do. Up until now, Season 11 has given me a feeling that Sheldon has lots of spare time, but he hasn't put them to good use. Especially his work.

I didn't feel sorry for him. He was acting like a child, whining with everybody, and that's what he got. It annoys me to see Lenny parenting him, the joke has gotten old seasons ago, so I didn't enjoy the plot. But, until the trick worked, it gave Lenny some peace, so I can't blame them for using it.  Validating Sheldon's feelings, anyway, was not the right thing to do in this particular case, so I agree with Leonard on this one, he was right in calling Penny out for using the book. Bernie was supportive with her husband and happy he was involved in a new exciting project, I liked it. She was busy herself with her work, and had zero time for Sheldon's and Raj's nonsense, I don't agree with what she did with Sheldon, but at least it was funny. As for the bold part, this is the main point for me too...It's nice that Shamy have gotten so close that Sheldon can't stay 8 hours away from Amy, but he has always had an independent life from her, with his work and hobbies. The writers can think about something else than this.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, snapepans said:

Frankly I think they could do better about a genial Physicist than put him cleaning ovens while Amy is more busy with her work. It was not useful or funny imo. And the whole children book plot was not funny imo. Putting Sheldon taking ten steps foward and then twenty backwards is not funny regarding the way he was writen in s10.But it is just my opinion.

TBH what I most enjoyed about this episode was the shamy scene innuendo and Howard and Amy's scenes. Although I could live without the magic bits that seemed to me too forced. The biggest handicap for me this season is the way the dialogues have been writen. They seem poor and with lack of purpose in some scenes as old jokes are recycled like they had not time to do better. Which I dont believe much that these writers are professional, surely they work much in this show. However there is something off that I hope hardly that improve soon.

Well, looking foward to getting some info  later as there is a new taping today. One quarter from the season is gone, so hopefully the others three quarters might be back on track about what is failing imo.

So Happy taping day!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 4

The only thing I enjoyed from this episode was Amy and Howard in the lab, but even then you had some annoying Raj and Sheldon interruptions in there. If they gave me 20 mins of Amy and Howard I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

My guess it's going to be like Scavenger Hunt a one time thing, but I would like to see Howard and Amy interact more and perhaps actually develop a real friendship between them. I think they get on well and it could be developed further, but it won't.

• Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

I wish they'd realise they only have a little more than a quarter of an hour per episode and not try to cram in so much. Fewer scenes with more in them would make for smoother viewing and leave room for more laughs. Sheldon-at-a-loose-end could have been omitted entirely. Since he had to be in the episode, they could have had Amy sending him to help Bernie and he could have had something nice in the gift bag and been rewarded with a kiss and cuddle.  The child-rearing book idea could have been saved for another week and applied more extensively and usefully - and without his finding out. Then when he found out, he could have borrowed a dog-training manual from Raj and used it on Lenny.

If there was a point to the Morse code incident I'm afraid I've missed it. 

I was happy to see Amy is still Amy. Eduardo the Columbian lab assistant indeed !  Her delight at the magic tricks ; programming Sheldon to hurt Howard; dancing to 60s music, yay ! And now she's got the skeleton she wanted without having to register it at the cadaver lab for wedding presents ! I hope they'll do more of this story.

Bernadette is still Bernadette - undaunted and underhand. Yay ! 

Raj is still useless and unused.

From the sneak peeks I expected better. At 2 am I enjoyed it  but after a few hours' sleep I watched it again and didn't think nearly as well of it.

I think you could have had Amy and Howard working in the lab and the rest of the gang doing something together like D&D, bowling, going to a bar, playing some online video games or something and the episode would have been much better. Or you could have had Sheldon visiting Bernie and helping her out or doing something with her and then had Leonard and Penny doing their own thing.

Like I said the Amy/Howard storyline was pretty much perfect, but trying to find a storyline that meshed/had synergy with it involving the rest didn't IMO work this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I wish they'd realise they only have a little more than a quarter of an hour per episode and not try to cram in so much. Fewer scenes with more in them would make for smoother viewing and leave room for more laughs. 

THIS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I think Amy and Howard were more front and center than Sheldon alone. It seemed like he was more front and center because Lenny spent all their time reacting to him, in my opinion. They acted like they'd just met him. what with trying to figure him out and all. 

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I was happy to see Amy is still Amy. Eduardo the Columbian lab assistant indeed !  Her delight at the magic tricks ; programming Sheldon to hurt Howard; dancing to 60s music, yay ! And now she's got the skeleton she wanted without having to register it at the cadaver lab for wedding presents ! I hope they'll do more of this story.

Yes, the lab scenes were pretty much perfect. We had comedy again there. I like unusual pairings, so I liked the ep, except for Raj who didn't even need to be there as far as I was concerned.

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Validating Sheldon's feelings, anyway, was not the right thing to do in this particular case, so I agree with Leonard on this one, he was right in calling Penny out for using the book

I totally agree with you. I hate parenting books in general, though. I have seen too many people use them like instruction manuals and not realize that everyone is different.

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I Think it also showed Leonard and Penny are no where ready to be parents lol. Both have alot of learning to do. They do differ on alot of things.

I have no idea why ANYONE thinks they are. They definitely are not.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
bad speller
  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I have no idea why ANYONE thinks they are. They definitely are not.

No one is really prepared to be parents. There isn't a training class for it. When and if the time comes they will be fine. Howdette was.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

No one is really prepared to be parents. There isn't a training class for it. When and if the time comes they will be fine. Howdette was

Some are more prepared than others. With this couple I don't personally see it at all. The writers would probably just make fifty jokes about Penny not being able to drink wine anyhow. If you don't agree, that's fine. But I can't see it and I hope they don't do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Some are more prepared than others. With this couple I don't personally see it at all. The writers would probably just make fifty jokes about Penny not being able to drink wine anyhow. If you don't agree, that's fine. But I can't see it and I hope they don't do it.

And you saw it with Howard and Bernadette?

• Like 2