1106 - The Proton Regeneration (November 2)

Tripper

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Absolutely right ! It is Kathy. I checked the transcript. Patsy's in Absolutely Fabulous. I can't think where else I could have got the name from. I've no idea why I got them muddled. Had I not been doing this since I was about thirty-five I'd say it was old age catching up with me.

Mrs. Wolowitz referred to Penny as Patsy once, I think. When Penny went to Howard's house to cheer him up after "breaking his spirit" in the robot fighting episode.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Just to be sure has TBBT timeslot been moved to Thursdays now? Is this episode airing Thursday now not Monday?

Yes.  TBBT is back on Thursday for the remainder of this season.

• Like 2

Random observations:

Can they just let Proton rest in peace.

FWF is painful enough. Do we really need Sheldon taping an audition.

can we give Sheldon's enemies list a rest.

i'm not sure why a vasectomy is funny. Would it been been any funnier if Bernadette's tubes were tied.

who would trust their baby with Amy over Penny.

Gotta believe the baby saying momma would have been wiith an actual baby than a 50 year old woman.

was there any reason Raj needed to be their besides Kunal's contract stipulates he physically has to be there.

• Like 1

-He could've finished that meal, it doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours. I would personally never subject myself to a vasectomy anyways.

-"You've already got Doctor Who. Leave us something". Should've expected they'd acknowledge that

-"If he's talking, he's talking about himself". Sheldon trying to involve himself in a Proton reboot is at least a logical next plot step, and hopefully conclusion, for these Proton installments.

-"I owe it to him to try and touch as many children as possible". I've lost track of how many pedophile jokes they've done with Sheldon's wording.

-Well if it was Howard's idea, why is Bernadette forcing him to stick to it? Howard should have the right to rethink it. Guess I'd hate the plot more if Bernadette proposed the idea on top of that.

-Raj is finally going to get a close look at Howard's genitalia. Big moments never cease in S11.

-Professor Shel-don is encouraging exclusion tactics on the playground. Goodbye-nary. 

-I like borderline psychotic things. And Penny's plays.

-So if Sheldon ever has a kid, is he going to have contempt for it?

-WHEATON!!!!!  Too long that's gone un-uttered. 

-Double bed rest. Moist logs.

-Sunday mornings at 5:30 AM is not a time slot to be ashamed of. You'd be surprised how many cult classics have been treated worse.

-Sheldon always makes good on that rue promise. But if this is Sheldon's imagination, isn't he subconsciously saying these things about himself?

-Raj has to work?! Biggest surprise of the episode, he finds a way to not be there when he's needed.

-Penny can take care of some dumb baby (the defensiveness could be foreshadowing). But Halley is worse than raising a baby pig.

-The mean snarky internet is not hard to find, Sheldon wasn't looking in the right places.

-"Who cares about kids and what they like? This is about me and something I liked". At that instant, a mental image of Teen Titans Go appeared. Reboot quality cannot be measured if you go into the reboot not being open to a new vision.

-Oh right, they might go through with a Penny baby storyline so they can write episodes where she goes through alcohol withdrawal.

-Wil Wheaton probably should reject the role....because it seems below his experience.

-"It doesn't feel very different". Alright, awesome, now we can get back to Wheaton vs. Sheldon square-offs. 

-"You might be more on the ball than we thought". 

-.....That was a baby talking? Could've sworn it was just Penny cleverly faking the first word. Howardette earned that blowback. 

-I'm with Proton, get rid of these forest backgrounds.

-Enemies list forever. Well as the show nears it end, we circle back. Hopefully they make some classic episodes out of this. Or maybe picking this feud back up is just a desperate glory days reboot.

• Run to India 1

Awe, I never thought I would agree with Jessica Radloff on a Glamour review these days.
But within this latest rather mediocre episode, Penny really made my day.

"You hear that suckers? She called me mama!'" Penny gloats. While it may not undo years of outdated stereotypes and assumptions thrown at Penny, it was definitely a start. Justice for Penny! Keep it coming.

Yeah! :shy:

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-11-episode-6-recap-justice-for-penny

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Liked the episode and had some LOLs. 

I really liked Sheldon in the episode! Thought his audition tape and preperation for it was hilarious, and LOLed at him bringing Wheaton the pizza leaflet so tha he owe him a favor. His talks with dream Proton were funny mostly due to Proton's one liners and the overall grumpy-uncomfortable air Newhart sent but it felt too repeptitive (of previous Sheldon-Proton scenes) for me. I felt Jim much more energetic in this episode as compared to previous ones where I felt he was drying off a bit.

Leonard wasn't there much but I thought he had some great punches, which work that great thanks to Johnny's delivery. I loved the Lenny exchange in the beginning but I didn't like that they had him send Amy to check on Penny too. The guy who said they'll be great parents. Oh well...

Penny finally had a win and I loved it! All of her friends (and for some reason in this episode also her husband...Ugh) think she is nothing more than the girl who goes through life drinking and slouching around, this is also the image that has been transmitted, most time, to the audience lately (Kaley herself described her in that way in pre-season interviews). So her having a win at last, proving her capabilities, is a very welcome change for me. She is the most maternal character on the show, her taking good care of Halley seemed very reasonable to me.

Halley voice on the other hand... I get the joke and the gesture but it is startng to become too much for me. It's so unrealistic that it throws me off.

The appstore bell LOL

Amy had some nice bits and thank goodness they got read of those bad hair extensions they had her in for the previous episode (not saying she had none in this episode, I do't know, just not those previous ones).

Raj... Redundant and tired, IMO of course.

The tag wasn't very good to me. Lately most tags felt kind of meh to me, instead of being strong finishes.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

1 hour ago, veejay said:

Awe, I never thought I would agree with Jessica Radloff on a Glamour review these days.
But within this latest rather mediocre episode, Penny really made my day.

"You hear that suckers? She called me mama!'" Penny gloats. While it may not undo years of outdated stereotypes and assumptions thrown at Penny, it was definitely a start. Justice for Penny! Keep it coming.

Yeah! :shy:

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-11-episode-6-recap-justice-for-penny

Yeah I usually disagree with her reviews but this was a pretty good one. Although I don't think they're playing the dumb blonde stereotype anymore, it is more of the "fun loving" stereotype.

• Like 1

I liked the episode, I laughed much more than I did in a while, so...mission accomplished. I liked especially the cold open and the Howardette/Penny dynamic, Simon's physical comedy was at his best and I also liked Penny's plot. I agree in this case with JR's review, time to move on from her S. 1 representation. I think Sheldon's audition and his preparation for that with Amy's help was funny too. The scenes with BN were ok, especially the first one, I agree that the tag was a bit weak. What didn't work to me was Sheldon's and WW's renewed hostility. On paper, I was happy the writers decided to bring it back, it was a nice throw back to one of the show's greatest hits,  something that it's happening a lot under the new show runner. But what made the animosity between Sheldon and Will so funny in the early seasons was that actually WW was depicted as a jerk and, in a sense, a "villain". This time, he was being perfectly reasonable and, on the contrary, Sheldon was being unreasonable over some nonsense, so basically what happens any other episode.

• Like 4

Howardette I thought had the best storyline and once again Simon and Melissa's fantastic chemistry and comedic timing together was on display. Simon is a real master at physical comedy. What I found most interesting I guess with the Sheldon storyline was the debate and discussion about rebooting beloved tv shows and the feelings it can generate. I found some of Sheldon's scenes funny, but bringing back WW as an enemy and other examples this season have reinforced this view that they are repeating old gags and themes and I am not sure that's a good thing especially when Season 10 felt much fresher in comparison.

Is it just me of were Professor Proton's lines not as sharp compared to previous season appearances?

Overall I thought it wasn't the best episode this season, but it wasn't the worst either. It continues to be a season that feels a bit perplexing to me.,

Oh and I am very surprised they kept that cringeworthy gag in the opening scene, considering the current climate and recent news...

• Like 2

I'm finding, sadly, I'm getting bored with this show.  Too many rehashed old jokes, not enough Shamy, there's so many new things and ideas they could do with ALL the characters and yet, for some reason, don't or won't.  I started setting my alarm to remind myself to watch.  Good thing I did for this week and last week.  Yeah, I'm starting to get bored....

• Like 2

Penny saying she doesn't share her bourbon was the best drinking joke they've had for awhile, but I still think if Penny were pregnant they would toss in a lot of jokes about how she couldn't drink. Don't want to see that.

Handled it delicately about how Amy still loves Sheldon and wants to encourage him but she thought his audition tape was awful.

What the hell is the point of Raj? Seriously, at this point he can go back to India for an arranged marriage for all I care. I used to like him, but now, no.

Will Wheaton did his lines well and Bob Newhart made the most of what they gave him to work with as well, but didn't think either cameo was worth it.

Melissa and Simon work so well together. That was the best part of the whole thing to me.

• Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

On 10/21/2017 at 11:55 AM, bfm said:

And toward almost every scientist who is not him...

No, Sheldon has been shown to be impressed by the research of others - the fellow [Nobel winner] he tried to get him to work with at that conference, the woman who had sex with all the guys but Sheldon, Stephen Hawking, etc.  He has shown he can be a real fan of the work of others.  But he is a theorist who doesn't get his fingers dirty, compared to those involved in more hands'on endeavors.  

32 minutes ago, Perfxion said:

I have to find the episode online because Houston cbs broke into the show to show the astros coming back into the city. All DVRs are messed up on all their programming all night.

Well, it was a pretty amazing World Series.  

Here's hoping Houston's "Pissed off Cat" is happier, now, because of the win.

CaptureHoustonKitty.PNG

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

I'm finding, sadly, I'm getting bored with this show.  Too many rehashed old jokes, not enough Shamy, there's so many new things and ideas they could do with ALL the characters and yet, for some reason, don't or won't.  I started setting my alarm to remind myself to watch.  Good thing I did for this week and last week.  Yeah, I'm starting to get bored....

JMO but there was too much Shamy for too long. Now they have gone a bit cold turkey on them. What's really left for Shamy? Though TPTB still are into Sheldon overkill mode.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

No, Sheldon has been shown to be impressed by the research of others - the fellow [Nobel winner] he tried to get him to work with at that conference, the woman who had sex with all the guys but Sheldon, Stephen Hawking, etc.  He has shown he can be a real fan of the work of others.  But he is a theorist who doesn't get his fingers dirty, compared to those involved in more hands'on endeavors.  

Well, it was a pretty amazing World Series.  

Here's hoping Houston's "Pissed off Cat" is happier, now, because of the win.

CaptureHoustonKitty.PNG

There have been exceptions but he has denigrated entire fields... Take a scientist, just a random scientist who is not Sheldon, most chances are Sheldon will denigrate her/him. I mean in a probability kind of way, the cances of this scientist being one of the relatively few he does appreciate are low.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bfm said:

There have been exceptions but he has denigrated entire fields... Take a scientist, just a random scientist who is not Sheldon, most chances are Sheldon will denigrate her/him. I mean in a probability kind of way, the cances of this scientist being one of the relatively few he does appreciate are low.

True dat!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Perfxion said:

I have to find the episode online because Houston cbs broke into the show to show the astros coming back into the city. All DVRs are messed up on all their programming all night.

Good luck. Hope you find it soon.

Well I guess i'll be in the minority with my opinion of this episode or even have a singular opinion, anyway I thought the episode was mediocre it was a chore to get through. I didn't understand why they all apparently thought Penny was too irresponsible to look after a child , where did they get that idea from?. I mean she's had practice with dealing with Sheldon for over 10 years because he has a habit of acting like a baby. I did find it odd that Halley's first word would be momma and she would say it to Penny, I guess it was sort pay back for them thinking she couldn't look after Halley. Anyway like I said I won't be missing anything if I never see this episode again, I hope the quality of the remaining episodes is better.

Edited by Zephon75
  • Like 4
  • It's a Tiara 1

Ten years or so ago Penny was frivolous and 'fun-loving' and couldn't be trusted with a pet fish. A woman over thirty can't be trusted to mind a child who knows her and whose parents are in the house ? Too ridiculous to be funny ! 

Why was Amy speaking as if she was addressiing a class or an audience from the stage when she was sitting on the sofa with her friends next to her ? Why all those gestures when she was in the kitchen ?

Why didn't Arthur have some wisdom to impart ?

Why would Penny want to be Sheldon's acting coach after what happened last time ? Why had she made up her eyes but nor combed her hair ?

Where would Amy, Penny and Leonard go when they felt unable to enter their own homes after hearing 'Wheaton !!!' ?