The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1109 - The Bitcoin Entanglement (November 30)

'The Bitcoin Entanglement' - Season 11, Episode 9 
Airs Thursday, November 30 at 8/7c on CBS.

Sheldon tries to teach the guys a lesson after they cut him out of a potentially valuable Bitcoin investment. Also, a seven-year-old video reveals a secret about Leonard and Penny's relationship.

• Like 2

I really liked this episode, it was funny and I really enjoyed the flashbacks more than I thought I would.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

Liked the Lenny Zack part of the show. It was both funny and cute. Ironic Penny was thinking marriage before Leonard. 

jMO but if you are a regular of the show the time frame made no sense. Seven years ago Lenny  weren't together. Not sure  why Leonard would be mad about Zack since they first met after Leonard slept with Dr. Plimpton. I know It was for the laugh but Penny wouldn't remember meeting Amy.?

Anfd finally Sheldon they pulled out a storyline from the itchy sweater episode. Waited all those years to get even. Really? Actually he committed a crime taking the Bitcoin. Again this apparently never gets old ( to who I don't know ) but pointing out your best friends wife's sluttiness  after 11 years. Apparently he can't get himself out of the gutter.

• Like 4

Is what Sheldon did a crime in the USA ? In UK under the Theft Act it wouldn't be stealing as there was no intent to acquire someone else's goods for oneself or others, nor to deprive an owner permanently, and there was no witholding of information as to whereabouts when asked. Moving someone else's things about is an annoyance but I don't know what law you could get Sheldon under. If he had millions it might be worth suing him for loss due to recklessness but otherwise not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Is what Sheldon did a crime in the USA ? In UK under the Theft Act it wouldn't be stealing as there was no intent to acquire someone else's goods for oneself or others, nor to deprive an owner permanently, and there was no witholding of information as to whereabouts when asked. Moving someone else's things about is an annoyance but I don't know what law you could get Sheldon under. If he had millions it might be worth suing him for loss due to recklessness but otherwise not.

I'm not up with the exact law in the USA. But you would think Sheldon realized he didn't have the keychain anymore.

• Like 1

I think the episode was crap. Sorry if I'm a stickler for continuity, and this had none. The time frame makes no sense, the inclusion of Amy in the flash back in The Cheesecake Factory made no sense, the jokes weren't that great, and (I know I might be alone in this one) the actors' performances felt like they were phoned in. I wasn't at all convinced by any of them specially Kaley's. The only one who came of well out of the episode was, IMO, Zack. The fact that Sheldon committed a crime (stole the Bitcoin) and talked about Penny's slutiness and Leonard did nothing about it, were just icing on a  shit cake. Very disappointed.

• Like 7

They got Zack into an episode and compared to the Penny being married to Zack nonsense they did before this was pleasant. Sheldon had a few good lines but was not the focus.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

Just watched the episode. Yes this episode lacked so much continuity. But are we surprised? TPTB of this series have a severe Continuity Syndrome. I won't even mention the fact when they referenced Seven years ago. And Penny said hey honey to Leonard. And Amy was sittiing their too. One Leonard and Penny were not together then. And Sheldon and Amy had already meet. They addressed a bit I suspose later on. When Penny and Zac were dating. But shocking continuity all round. IT reeks of laziness. To get these details right. That said though. 

I enjoyed most of the episode. IT was light and fluffy. IT was great seeing some old nostalgia from the earlier seasons. Gave some of the plot lines over the years some real depth. Especially the reveal that Penny does love Leonard. And really wanted to marry him. And he did not wore her down. I loved that. We never saw Penny's point of view in the break up in Season 3. And I thought Kaley really nailed that scene being drunk. Phoned in? Hmm yes to some degree, it did feel like that at times. But I felt more the fact the actors haven't played the characters like this in seven years. And the fact they have also aged a bit. So it was hard to suspend your disbelif. So it felt a bit awkward at times. 

And of course Leonard and Penny only ever had one real break up. In Season 3. The rest TPTB just made up for some laughs. Damned be the timeline or cannon. Sheldon from Itchy Brain reared its ugly head again. It is three steps forwards, 100 steps backwards with this character. Not only what he did was selfish, and assinine. It was possibly illegal too. All that money down the drain. IT was just reckless and irresponsible, but he doesen't care.

The best part of the episode was Leonard/Penny/Zac scenes. I Thought Johnny and Kaley carried most of this episode. And Zac was a delight. Overall I voted good. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 6

Well, there I was curious to see Jessica's latest findings on the new episode (just to remember: #justiceforpenny) and then something like that. I'm afraid the lady took an illegal time travel to the next episode and speculated on the further development of the originally preferred pair formation. What a waste of time. :icon_rolleyes:

'The Big Bang Theory' Season 11 Episode 9 Recap: Sheldon and Amy's Wedding Plans Stall

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-11-episode-9-recap-sheldon-amy-wedding-plans-stall

Anyway, I personally was very excited about the new episode. Since I deliberately faded out the expected and almost unbelievable inconsistencies in the time continuum of the series, I laughed out loud several times (my coffee had to suffer over it). Only Sheldon's once again absurdly disgusting behavior at the end gave me some time to deal with the coffee sprinklers. :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 5

We were told through out Season 8. That we were sparred of the Lenny wedding planning. Because majority of the audience don't want to see that conventional stuff. So I presume this applies for Shamy too right? I don't think anyone really cares when they get married. For what it is worth probably near end of this season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Because majority of the audience don't want to see that conventional stuff. So I presume this applies for Shamy too right?

Well it certainly does apply for me. I'd rather see them go to the Last Jedi together. All of them. Stuart can babysit. They have got to at least talk about the movie. Amy too.

The most illogical thing to me in this episode was Stuart's finding the Batman pen drive and deciding to erase it and sell it. Wouldn't he have checked what was on it to see if it contained a clue as to who it belonged to ? If it didn't, wouldn't he have put it on the counter for a couple of weeks to see if it was claimed ?

When Leonard lost it, why didn't he ask in places he'd been if anyone had found it ? He didn't know about the Bitcoin folder but there would be other stuff he'd need. Keeping something that belongs to a customer is beyond the pale for a shopkeeper. That really is awful. I hope it turns out Stuart was being rhetorical and it's in the safe all the time.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

The most illogical thing to me in this episode was Stuart's finding the Batman pen drive and deciding to erase it and sell it. Wouldn't he have checked what was on it to see if it contained a clue as to who it belonged to ? If it didn't, wouldn't he have put it on the counter for a couple of weeks to see if it was claimed ?

When Leonard lost it, why didn't he ask in places he'd been if anyone had found it ? He didn't know about the Bitcoin folder but there would be other stuff he'd need. Keeping something that belongs to a customer is beyond the pale for a shopkeeper. That really is awful. I hope it turns out Stuart was being rhetorical and it's in the safe all the time.

Well Stuart had no idea what was on it. His idea was to erase it so he could use it from scratch. Your right but Stuart is an idiot lol. These characters are flawed after all.

17 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Well it certainly does apply for me. I'd rather see them go to the Last Jedi together. All of them. Stuart can babysit. They have got to at least talk about the movie. Amy too.

Well yeah but I was refering to the actual wedding planning. We did not see Lenny prepare any arrangments. Other then when they had their re do's. I am sure their well be a SW episode this season with Last Jedi coming out December 14th. That is just over two weeks away.

13 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I am sure their well be a SW episode this season with Last Jedi coming out December 14th. That is just over two weeks away.

Here it is on the 15th. The episodes up to then have been tapped I think so I am mostly hoping the is perhaps a flash back and talk about the movie in the new year.

I didn't find it very funny, mostly laughed at Zack. I did enjoy it though, except from the idiotic made up break ups. It was nice seeing the flashbacks and Carol Ann Sussi's old recordings were a very nice touch. The older character shticks were also nice although I think some pulled it off better than others (Johnny, Jim and Simon mostly).

I think Sheldon was Itchy Sweater level of diabolic. Yes he was offended but what he did has no excuse. He was a complete ass, and top that with another "slutty Penny" barb that wasn't funny at all. Lenny should really kick Sheldon out of their appartment the next time he crosses the line. 

The Lenny-Zack scene I thought was the best. Zack was funny, they have learned how to make good use of him. Not much of a secret, more a verbalization of what we could infer back then... It was consistent with canon (basically it showed she was thinking back then what she said in season 6) and it made the point that Penny has always loved Leonard, to him too. He needed that. It's a shame their mocking friends did not see it although now that I think about it -Sheldon, the one who makes the worst comments on their relationship, did hear that! He really came off bad in this episode...

• Like 3

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The episode is far from perfect, and messes a lot with continuity. Amy at the Cheesecake Factory in S. 3 speaking with Penny makes very little sense, because it was Sheldon telling the story, so he would have remembered her when they met later on. I get they wanted all the characters to be part of the flashback, but Amy was not part of the story when Leonard and Penny were a couple in S. 3, so that could have been easily avoided. Also, Leonard thinking he was more affected from the break up than Penny because she started dating Zach soon after it is not very accurate, for sure she met Zach after he had that fling with Dr. Plimpton. I'm not even mentioning here the multiple break ups... Nonetheless, the episode was generally funny, lighthearted and entertaining and Lenny's scenes were cute. Probably it's one of my favourite episodes of the season; well, the bar is rather low, so it's not a huge accomplishment, but it was a good episode to me.

2 hours ago, veejay said:

Well, there I was curious to see Jessica's latest findings on the new episode (just to remember: #justiceforpenny) and then something like that. I'm afraid the lady took an illegal time travel to the next episode and speculated on the further development of the originally preferred pair formation. What a waste of time. :icon_rolleyes:

'The Big Bang Theory' Season 11 Episode 9 Recap: Sheldon and Amy's Wedding Plans Stall

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-11-episode-9-recap-sheldon-amy-wedding-plans-stall

Anyway, I personally was very excited about the new episode. Since I deliberately faded out the expected and almost unbelievable inconsistencies in the time continuum of the series, I laughed out loud several times (my coffee had to suffer over it). Only Sheldon's once again absurdly disgusting behavior at the end gave me some time to deal with the coffee sprinklers. :shy:

Yeah, the "recap" wasn't exactly a recap, was it? LOL! I get her general unhappiness with the season and with Sheldon in particular, he is rather unbearable right now. But, quite frankly, since he doesn't like beaches, cliffs and outdoors, why should he get married outdoors on a cliff? That was Amy's dream, but Sheldon's nightmare...

• Like 2

Had some nostalgia with some of the scenes (even though it felt like there was some borderline retcon/retconning at work) and I have to give credit to the set designers and costume department for managing to recreate some of the older vibe. Hearing Howard's mother again was memorable.

I didn't laugh that much though, I did with some of the Howard scenes and dialogue. I laughed when Bernie was hearing them on the baby monitor and she told him to rush over to Leonard's if there was a fortune on that laptop. Mayim nailed that old robotic version of Amy.

I thought it was another example of a season that isn't hitting some of its previous heights, that they are having to rely on old themes which is frustrating when they have a finite number of episodes left and should be looking at ways to move the story forward even more (i'm all about the growth and new and fresh storyline ideas lol). Though I am looking forward at what is soon to come. :)

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I dont' think he stole it either. If they hadn't been able to find the laptop saving it to the keychain would have saved the day. And Sheldon certainly didn't know it would be worth that much when he did this. He was a total jerk, yes, but I don't think he intended to steal anything. If he had he would have kept the keychain.

I know a lot of people think the whole video of Penny talking about Leonard was sweet, but it was all spoiled for me when she fell down drunk and Leonard and Zack wanted to rewatch that.

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

I thought it was another example of a season that isn't hitting some of its previous heights, that they are having to rely on old themes which is frustrating when they have a finite number of episodes left and should be looking at ways to move the story forward even more (i'm all about the growth and new and fresh storyline ideas lol). T

Yes! This was the itchy sweater all over again in a way.

9 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I'm not up with the exact law in the USA. But you would think Sheldon realized he didn't have the keychain anymore.

I don't know if Sheldon would have realized Leonard lost the keychain or not. I also wonder why Stuart doesn't have a lost and found. Immediately deciding to wipe it and sell it without looking to see if he could figure out who owned it rubbed me wrong.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I don't know if there is a criminal statute that would apply to Sheldon't actions. It could be possible that he could be found at fault in a civil action. Leonard would most likely never pursue that angle. That said, it would certainly be understandable if they all decided to sever their relationship with Sheldon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know if Sheldon would have realized Leonard lost the keychain or not. I also wonder why Stuart doesn't have a lost and found. Immediately deciding to wipe it and sell it without looking to see if he could figure out who owned it rubbed me wrong.

The show has always made a production about the key dish by the front door in 4A

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I know a lot of people think the whole video of Penny talking about Leonard was sweet, but it was all spoiled for me when she fell down drunk and Leonard and Zack wanted to rewatch that.

I know a lot of people love Shamy first time coitus but it was spoiled for me that Sheldon only wanted to do it once a year. Depends who you ship I supp0se.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode more than I  thought I  would. The dialogues in flasbacks were very funny, although it was a bit  weird to hear Howard's mum again. The characters  interaction in   presente time were funnier than in earlier episodes, which I enjoyed much, especially lenny's , they were cute.

If you ask me if this plot was necessary, I would say it was not as it was only worth for comedy purposes. What Sheldon did was wrong and somehow he could not be punished or learn a lesson as destiny kind of protected him. This side of Sheldon was getting better in last season and I can not understand why this seem kind of be back in most recent plots. I enjoyed the nostalgic feelings from the plot but really did not get why bringing the bitcoin to the plot without incorporate it in guys presente lives, if my words make sense.

I thought the Amy part made sense and was funny to see her in her earlier robotic mode. She could have met that guy for a date in CF and later as we know she had a date with Sheldon in a coffee shop. The Bernardette and Penny scenes were great too, I always enjoy girls interactions. Penny and Amy was funny too although I think they would do better continuity speakibg they would not speak to each other as they never seemed they remembrer they spoke before. Penny would surely remember robotic Amy , lol! Our favourite show is a joy what is  lacking of continuity related, so that's cool, lol!

Mute Raj was really funnier than presente Raj. I missed him, LOL!

For the "cliffy, beachy and outsidey " moment, it  made imo all sense. Amy tried but she knew it would not work as Sheldon would surely hate it. I am glad they seem to decide to work on together in things both would enjoy in their wedding.

BTW, Zack is always a great guest character. He always amuse me so much, the quote about Leonard and Zack were alike cracked me up, LOL!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

I thought the Amy part made sense and was funny to see her in her earlier robotic mode. She could have met that guy for a date in CF and later as we know she had a date with Sheldon in a coffee shop. The Bernardette and Penny scenes were great too, I always enjoy girls interactions. Penny and Amy was funny too although I think they would do better continuity speakibg they would not speak to each other as they never seemed they remembrer they spoke before. Penny would surely remember robotic Amy , lol! Our favourite show is a joy what is  lacking of continuity related, so that's cool, lol!

I know she has to be there for contractual purposes but there was no point for Amy in the episode. The Shamy wedding plans were pointless, Amy at TCF stretched beyond belief (and that takes a lot in this episode) and she added nothing to the Bitcoin discussion.

• Like 3