The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

105 'A Solar Calculator, a Game Ball, and a Cheerleader's Bosom' (November 23)

On 17/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, Tripper said:

Season 1, Episode 5 - A Solar Calculator, a Game Ball, and a Cheerleader's Bosom

Airs November 23, 2017 at 8:30/7:30c on CBS

Sheldon struggles with newfound popularity after utilizing statistics to help the football team.

Thanks for the summary. I wouldn't otherwise have known what it was about.:) I know there'll be subtitles up soon but they won't include a translation. :)

So Sheldon thinks a B+ is a disaster. So does his mother. I would have got two shillings for that, or even half a crown. A good friend of mine who says she understands me now she's seen Sheldon in TBBT  needs to watch this living proof I'm not at all like him. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Thanks for the summary. I wouldn't otherwise have known what it was about.:) I know there'll be subtitles up soon but they won't include a translation. :)

I haven't watched the whole episode (just the first 5-6 minutes and then my internet connection went down for no reason) but I'm sure not even the translation and the subtitles can help me understand the football part of the episode, I haven't a clue of the rules of the game, and TBH I'm not even remotely interested in learning them, LOL! It might be one of those occasions where the cultural differences with USA are too much for me!

• Haha 1

I was confused by the football terms haha but you get the idea... 

I enjoyed it, more than the last one. I also think Iain's grasp of the character is getting better with each episode. I do, however, wonder how many good stories they will be able to find. Most of the episodes until now were based on jokes from TBBT, there is a limit to how many of these they can do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joyceraye said:

So Sheldon thinks a B+ is a disaster. So does his mother. I would have got two shillings for that, or even half a crown. A good friend of mine who says she understands me now she's seen Sheldon in TBBT  needs to watch this living proof I'm not at all like him. :)

Finally watched the episode! I don't think Mary was angry for the grade itself, she was angry because Sheldon scored just B+ because his father and grandmother asked him to evaluate their odds at football and gambling instead of letting him study and because his friend took him to a party at night.  Anyway, funny episode, better than  last week one. Georgie is probably my favourite character, it was interesting seeing him react to Sheldon and George Sr. bonding over something he thought it was "their thing". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Finally watched the episode! I don't think Mary was angry for the grade itself, she was angry because Sheldon scored just B+ because his father and grandmother asked him to evaluate their odds at football and gambling instead of letting him study and because his friend took him to a party at night.  Anyway, funny episode, better than  last week one. Georgie is probably my favourite character, it was interesting seeing him react to Sheldon and George Sr. bonding over something he thought it was "their thing". 

I've just watched it with the subtitles. Mary is angry because of how devasted Sheldon is over the grade. Actually I don't think losing only half a grade on method points is bad at all, but at nine there isn't the sense of proportion. A lot of older ones I was teaching in 1989 would have been delighted to know that was all they'd lose and more than willingly not write the method down :). Sheldon's a whizz at writing his working all over the board now.

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I've just watched it with the subtitles. Mary is angry because of how devasted Sheldon is over the grade. Actually I don't think losing only half a grade on method points is bad at all, but at nine there isn't the sense of proportion. A lot of older ones I was teaching in 1989 would have been delighted to know that was all they'd lose and more than willingly not write the method down :). Sheldon's a whizz at writing his working all over the board now.

Sheldon is overreacting and I'm not surprised at all. His self-worth is highly centered around being the smartest. Remember how he reacted when Kripke did better work than him?

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

6 hours ago, bfm said:

Sheldon is overreacting and I'm not surprised at all. His self-worth is highly centered around being the smartest. Remember how he reacted when Kripke did better work than him?

Yes. He needed a cuddle. His first thought was that Kripke's mother would be the proud one, not his. 

Finally I watched the episode and I enjoyed it more than last week one. I did not catch all football meanings not because the subtitles ( which I used in this episode, btw) but because I only enjoy european football so I am not familiar with the rules of this kind of football.

Anyway I think in this episode were made great points about Sheldon relationship with his family and we could see better Sheldon 's character we know from his older version. I mean, we could see his strong strenght of doing what he wants and also his issues to interact with strange people and also his manipulative side. I also think Mary was angry because the grade made Sheldon upset and disturbed his world and not for the grade itself. Mary is a very perceptive woman ,she knows right how her people ( husband, mother, children) work and how Sheldon did not get that way of work plenty like most of ordinary people. Although George used his son's skills for getting sucess for himself, I liked to see his tries to connect more with Sheldon. It is really great to see finally the show is getting more balanced to setle the childhood background of Sheldon, as it first episodes some stuff seemed not be in right "pace" yet.

Some details I loved:

* Meemaw from childhood Sheldon is more likeable than her older version. But now I can see why she was so bitter and cold in tbbt. She had a few vices that kind of shapped her behavior through her life. Btw I think the actress is really awesome in Meemaw's role!

* I just love Georgie and Missy, but Georgie is my favourite. It is so reasonable, included the bad stuff Sheldon had told about his brother, why Georgie and Sheldon had a tough relationship. I really like how the writers have been careful to fill the gaps about what we know from tbbt timeline about all these characters.

*Missy is a sweet devil, lol! Those butterfly wings killed me , lol!

* The paralled between Mary and George's sleeping outfits and Sheldon and Amy's is interisting. Reminds me when Sheldon said Amy and Meemaw had the same sense of fashion. After all Amy seems to have same Mary's style. It is cute, Sheldon after all had a kind of  "female ideal". For who denied for years he would not feel romantic feelings and needs, it is really cool to see everything was there since the beginning, hehe!

*Tam is so funny! His face as Sheldon had his head on cheerleader's bosom cracked me up!!

* The poster of Axl Rose in Georgie's rooms made me almost squee because I love Guns n Roses since my teentime! Another thing for I love Georgie, he has good taste for Music! :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Household, Overnight ratings and Demo Breakouts for 10 November, 2017

Household Ratings for this week were not available due to the American Thanksgiving Holiday.  

This episode brought in a  2.6 demo (18-49), with 11.28 million viewers.  This was up five tenths in demo, but down 460,000 viewers.    In the 18-34 demo, it had a 2.0, up six tenths from week. In the 25-54 demo, it had a 3.4, up two tenths from last week.

The full ratings post, which includes comparisons with the rest of the shows last night,  can be found here.

• Like 3

Final Ratings for 24 November, 2017, for broadcasts on 23 November 2017.

This episode brought in a 2.6  demo (18-49), with 11.43 million viewers.  This was even in demo and up 150,000 viewers from the overnights.  It was up six tenths in   demo but down 400,000 viewers from last week.    

It's standing compared to other shows last night can be found here.