The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1113 'The Solo Oscillation' (January 11)

'The Solo Oscillation' - Season 11, Episode 13 
Airs Thursday, January 11 at 8/7c on CBS.

When Sheldon kicks Amy out to work solo, she and Leonard bond during a series of science experiments. Also, Bert the geologist replaces Wolowitz in the band Footprints on the Moon, and Sheldon finds Penny a surprising source of scientific inspiration.

• Like 3

I like odd pairings so I see potential in this. And I love Laurie as Mary. It will be funny if it turns out Bert can really sing. Is anyone old enough to remember how Jim Nabors talked compared to how he sang? This was a great ep that focused on that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I like odd pairings so I see potential in this. And I love Laurie as Mary. It will be funny if it turns out Bert can really sing. Is anyone old enough to remember how Jim Nabors talked compared to how he sang? This was a great ep that focused on that.

I'm probably old enough if you could tell me who these people are ....

Hmmm might be wrong. But just seems they are using Leonard and Penny as props. To elevate Sheldon and Amy in some way.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Hmmm might be wrong. But just seems they are using Leonard and Penny as props. To elevate Sheldon and Amy in some way.

i can see this in one way, but I can also see them thinking they've done what they wanted to do with Leonard and Penny and have now just moved on. I don't know which is right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Sheldon sells.

• Like 3

Sheldon sells.
I wonder though if he would be as popular without lenny

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Koala Face 1

6 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Seems to be doing fine on Young Sheldon.

Episodes featuring Amy and him seem to be among those that get high ratings.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 5

Seems to be doing find on Young Sheldon.
Episodes featuring Amy and him seem to be among those that get high ratings.
That may be but without lenny i don't shamy could carry it week in and week out. Of course this is my opinion I think tptb might think the same considering the contract they gave the kaley and johnny

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

That may be but without lenny i don't shamy could carry it week in and week out. Of course this is my opinion I think tptb might think the same considering the contract they gave the kaley and johnny

Parsons' contract was equally lucrative.

NONE of these couples could carry a show on their own.  It's an ensemble.

• Like 7

I definitely agree with you

• Like 3

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

He was a major character when there was no Lenny and as has been pointed out Young Sheldon is doing lots better than I thought it would.

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Absolutely true.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

He was a major character when there was no Lenny and as has been pointed out Young Sheldon is doing lots better than I thought it would.

Absolutely true.

I'm pretty sure @legacy99 think of Leonard and Penny (in reference to the so-called "Big Three" in TBBT). Also I wouldn't want to compare at all "Young Sheldon" with today's "The Big Sheldon Theory".

And yes, TBBT should better continue to build its former ensemble properties.

• Like 2

I'll be watching the Sheldon and Penny scene very closely to see if the writers can still write a decent plot for these guys anymore. They have completely shelved them, for many years now!! There's been very little Shenny since S5. There was some scenes in S7 but most of the scenes from then on are either Shamy related or about pushing Sheldon towards matrimony with Penny as his guide.

• Like 3

The Amy and Leonard interactions are the ones I most interesting in seeing in this one. Apart from a rare couple of examples their interactions are always awkward (deliberately done that way).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

The Amy and Leonard interactions are the ones I most interesting in seeing in this one. Apart from a rare couple of examples their interactions are always awkward (deliberately done that way).

They don't put Leonard and Amy together very often but they seem quite similar now, so maybe that's why. 

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 02/01/2018 at 10:47 PM, Capt. Hilts said:

Agreed., a BBT -  style show they couldn't. We need the three couples now because that's what they were intended from the beginning to be morphed into if they were around long enough and the reverberations of the initial explosion have taken many years. We're used to them now. We might even have four couples by the end. 

However, I think with the right script and the right scenario and premise, Howardette could be the foundation of a show that could run for a couple of years. As a nuclear family they could move somewhere. There are communitites in remote areas that literally advertise for young families to move to them in order to keep facilities such as the school and post office viable. Sometimes there are research bases miles from anywhere . They might need an engineer and microbiologist. The Wolowitzes could go somewhere like that. Suppose NASA seconds Howard away from Caltech and sends him there for more money ? The local community don't realise that Howard and Bernie are quirky, they just think that's what Californians or big city folk are like. Raj, Shamy and Lenny could come and visit them from time to time. Stuart comes for a break, draws the local landscape and makes a fortune.

I can think of reasons the others might change universities but I can't think of anything sustainable for a premise to hang  a series on. 

Edited by joyceraye
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Agreed., a BBT -  style show they couldn't. We need the three couples now because that's what they were intended from the beginning to be morphed into if they were around long enough and the reverberations of the initial explosion have taken many years. We're used to them now. We might even have four couples by the end. 

However, I think with the right script and the right scenario and premise, Howardette could be the foundation of a show that could run for a couple of years. As a nuclear family they could move somewhere. There are communitites in remote areas that literally advertise for young families to move to them in order to keep facilities such as the school and post office viable. Sometimes there are research bases miles from anywhere . They might need and engineer and microbiologist. The Wolowitzes could go somewhere like that. Suppose NASA seconds Howard away from Caltech and sends him there for more money ? The local community don't realise that Howard and Bernie are quirky, they just think that's what Californians or big city folk are like. Raj, Shamy and Lenny could come and visit them from time to time. Stuart comes for a break, draws the local landscape and makes a fortune.

I can think of reasons the others might change universities but I can't think of anything sustainable for a premise to hang  a series on. 

I like Howardette but I can't see them carrying a show

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bfm said:

I like Howardette but I can't see them carrying a show

I think Simon H is fantastic, but - as written - I can only take so much of his character [grateful we're past all the fat mother jokes] and I could do without Bernadette completely.

That's just my preference.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I think Simon H is fantastic, but - as written - I can only take so much of his character [grateful we're past all the fat mother jokes] and I could do without Bernadette completely.

I think Bernadette has had some great moments but IMO too much of her character could make her much worse. I think both their characters are good at their current positions.

Edited by bfm
typo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I think Howardette are fantastic together, I think they have great comedic chemistry and timing which you saw in their best season to date last season.

I agree with @joyceraye , it would be a different format obviously but I could see them having their own show and it working.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2
  • Koala Face 1

On 03/01/2018 at 11:12 AM, Spaced_up said:

There was some scenes in S7 but most of the scenes from then on are either Shamy related or about pushing Sheldon towards matrimony with Penny as his guide.

Friends are our guides in many things and personally I like Penny has been Sheldon's guide about very meaningfull moments for him. It mirrors they are close friends which I like in their interactions.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Friends are our guides in many things and personally I like Penny has been Sheldon's guide about very meaningfull moments for him. It mirrors they are close friends which I like in their interactions.

Urmmm I know what a friend is, :icon_neutral: I'm just saying that they don't write scenes between Sheldon and Penny like they used to. It always has a purpose and that purpose has been to reinforce Shamy. 

For example: Penny takes him to a psychic who tells him he'll never have career fulfilment until he gives in to Amy. That sort of thing... its not really about Sheldon and Penny. 

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 1
  • Run to India 1

12 minutes ago, Spaced_up said:

Urmmm I know what a friend is, :icon_neutral: 

It was not my intention to say you what a friend is. I just shared why I think the Guide Penny side is enjoyable to her friends. :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, spidergirl said:

I like Penny has been Sheldon's guide about very meaningfull moments for him. It mirrors they are close friends which I like in their interactions.

Penny and Sheldon were funny, which is the point of a comedy, in my opinion at the beginning when he was calling her out for being stupid and slutty and she was calling out for being weird and annoying. It was even funnier for me than now when they were just tolerating each other, but still occasionally sniping. When they got to be friends it took most of the comedy out of it for me. I wish instead of all of this slobbering over each other (and I do not mean that in a romantic way) that they put a few more zingers back in it.

2 hours ago, Spaced_up said:

its not really about Sheldon and Penny. 

No, I agree, usually it's not. I have to watch this and see how it goes, but usually it's not.

• Like 4