In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

1114 'The Separation Triangulation' (January 18)

Tripper

'The Separation Triangulation' - Season 11, Episode 14 
Airs Thursday, January 18 at 8/7c on CBS.

Koothrappali finds himself in the middle of domestic drama when he learns the woman he's dating, Nell (Beth Behrs), has a very upset husband, Oliver (Walter Goggins). Also, when Sheldon rents his old room back for a quiet place to work, he drives Leonard crazy by being a model tenant.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I thought Leonard's point that Sheldon must have been doing it on purpose very telling. I think he's going to suggest Shamy find a bigger place.

JMO but the only move would be Shamy to 4a and Lenny to 4b.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

The episode wS just plain stupid. It the crapper as soon as Raj found Nell was still married.

A lot of people were saying that Raj was just the kind of jerk to go out with a married woman, though, so there was that twist. He really didn't know at first.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

A lot of people were saying that Raj was just the kind of jerk to go out with a married woman, though, so there was that twist. He really didn't know at first.

And he continued to pursue her despite knowing. 

I agree it would make more sense Lenny go to 4B. And Shamy in 4A. But I am not sure that is going to happen.

I also think this Long Form Rental Agreement well be a one off thing. Possibly like the Lenny Relationship Agreement in Season 10. That they never referenced once since. 

I'll post my full thoughts on the episode. Probably need to watch it properly. I was drifting in and out haha. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Run to India 1

And he continued to pursue her despite knowing. 
I agree it would make more sense Lenny go to 4B. And Shamy in 4A. But I am not sure that is going to happen.
The only reason for them to switch apts in my mind would be that tptb plan on shamy getting pregnant

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

The only reason for them to switch apts in my mind would be that tptb plan on shamy getting pregnant

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That would be remarkable considering they do it once a year LOL.

Unless there's an apartment A on the ground floor they can move to, I doubt we'll have either of them pregnant if the makers want to keep the sets looking the same, Waddling up those stairs several times a day, unlike Bernie who did it occasionally, and then hauling a pram up and down won't be acceptable to them.

• Like 1

Liked seeing Raj do his showman gig at the planetarium.

Raj with the married women was just dumb. Perhaps he could get to know who someone is before sleeping with them. Getting to be way to much like TAAHM. ug.

Leonard being upset because Sheldon was not being annoying. I'm just thinking that was not very funny. They really are just writing boring crap for Leonard. It is worse this week as it was really stupid boring crap.

I enjoyed Young Sheldon more this week. All of the creativity has gone there It would seem from this week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Liked seeing Raj do his showman gig at the planetarium.

Raj with the married women was just dumb. Perhaps he could get to know who someone is before sleeping with them. Getting to be way to much like TAAHM. ug.

Leonard being upset because Sheldon was not being annoying. I'm just thinking that was not very funny. They really are just writing boring crap for Leonard. It is worse this week as it was really stupid boring crap.

I enjoyed Young Sheldon more this week. All of the creativity has gone there It would seem from this week.

Agree with you about Raj.

I don't mind the silliness about the spare room if it's setting the scene for something in the future. Amy taught Sheldon about empathy two years ago. Now he thinks it's his idea, like a typical husband.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Agree with you about Raj.

I don't mind the silliness about the spare room if it's setting the scene for something in the future. Amy taught Sheldon about empathy two years ago. Now he thinks it's his idea, like a typical husband.

It was fine for Sheldon and might lead someplace. Where I don't know, 

Don't really understand why Leonard is getting such a small role.

• Like 1

Just watched the episode fully. Leonard continues to feel marginlized. The whole Long Form Rental Agreement feels like a throwaway gag. In the same vein as Lennys Relationship agreement was in Season Ten. I mean have we heard anything about that? Nope. 

The Raj plot felt really silly. Once again portraying Raj in this way. But not sure about the TAAHM reference. The guys were sleeping with woman casually in Season One too. I remember Middle Earth Paraidigm Raj bed a woman he barley knew. Difference now is Raj can talk. And that is his problem lol. IT just seemed a pointless gag plot for Raj. Their was no serious thought put into Beth character. Raj felt like a plot device to get them back together. But why should the audience care about a couple we are never going to see again? Raj befriending him was all sorts of dumb. And when she took her possesive husband back. Because he comes off so much better compared to Raj lol. I mean how pathetic is Raj. 

I actually enjoyed the Shelnard plot. Just for the sake of Sheldon and Leonard interacting and having a plot. IT felt weird Leonard only enjoyed Sheldon living in his old room. When their dynamic reverted to their original state. Like a Feral State. I liked in the last episode how Penny backed Leonard up. And infered Sheldon better make you best man after everything youv'e done for the guy. But I agree the writing is just not compelling enough. Hopefully the Leonard novel stuff well be better. I mean alot of the stuff TBBT is producing right now, is just not that funny. Coming from a show that used to put me in stitches. I am not sure how the audience is susposed to find Leonard wanting Sheldon to be annoying funny. It was more endering back in the day. When you had sympathy for the Leonard character. But because of the bad writing. It just feels off.

I thought the last episode was worser though. Bert for me has run his course. The Footprints on the Moon is passe. And was just bad. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I liked and enjoyed the episode. It wasn't an excellent one but I think it was good.

The Raj plot was the weaker IMO, very mediocre and standard. He didn't know she was married, he assumed she was single because she asked him out, I don't think he did wrong there. The creepy and wrong thing was taking her husband's side, or any side for that matter. He should have gotten away from these two. But it's a comedy and that's Raj. I don't think these characters will ever show up again IMO it was just a one episode plot aimed for comedy, although it wasn't very funny to me.

The Leonard - Sheldon plot I did like. I found it funny and another case of the writers fleshing out Leonard's issues. This expanding on Leonard's issues seems to be a trend this season and I like it a lot. Leonard is definitely broken in his own way. Given the emotional abuse he suffered growing up he is less broken than most people would have been. He has a hard time when Sheldon does not drive him crazy with demands - the association to Beverly is very telling here. His friendship and living with Sheldon has been to an extent repetition compulsion. That is, a repetition of something that was beyond his capabilities, in his case traumatic - his mother being condescending, unsatiafiable, cold, demeaning and unloving. Also, while it is twisted, I think there is something to his freaking out because he concluded Sheldon might have driven him crazy all these years. That last reasoning I found funny because to me it is twisted with a sparkle of reason. I liked all of Leonard's scenes this episode, I think Johnny did a great job and Kaley as well. Penny was funny as usual, I loved Lenny this episode. They were united and funny and the writers actually showed them doing things instead of mostly waiting for others to act in front of them. 

Sheldon wanting to be more emphatetic while long long overdue is a good step IMO and I was surprised he is willing to do this. I think it is a very positive step  (this is not to say it is okay that he's only just taking it).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

...Leonard being upset because Sheldon was not being annoying. I'm just thinking that was not very funny. They really are just writing boring crap for Leonard. It is worse this week as it was really stupid boring crap....

True words spoken calmly.

I'm afraid Leonard needs an agreement strongly to avoid any more agreements in the future.
Btw. no lawyer is required to reject an idiotic agreement, which has not been signed by both parties involved. Right, Leonard? So, who cares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veejay said:

True words spoken calmly.

I'm afraid Leonard needs an agreement strongly to avoid any more agreements in the future.
Btw. no lawyer is required to reject an idiotic agreement, which has not been signed by both parties involved. Right, Leonard? So, who cares.

Hate to say it. But when Sheldon said you need an lawyer. I Thought wheres Priya LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

I liked and enjoyed the episode. It wasn't an excellent one but I think it was good.

The Raj plot was the weaker IMO, very mediocre and standard. He didn't know she was married, he assumed she was single because she asked him out, I don't think he did wrong there. The creepy and wrong thing was taking her husband's side, or any side for that matter. He should have gotten away from these two. But it's a comedy and that's Raj. I don't think these characters will ever show up again IMO it was just a one episode plot aimed for comedy, although it wasn't very funny to me.

I thought that Raj becoming friends with the husband was very Raj-like and true to character. I think it brings him back a little bit to the earlier seasons.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Hate to say it. But when Sheldon said you need an lawyer.

"L: This is just a bunch of paper. You can’t enforce this.
S: Hire a lawyer, lets find out."

(Dialogue after the handover "the long form rental agreement" to Leonard).

Not very funny episode I thought.

Whilst Raj's life may have improved on the work front and he seems to be exuding confidence at the Planetarium (too much some might say as he is a bit full of it with the long pregnant pauses as he talks there lol) when he interacts with women it's still a mess. Biggest example of that was when he told Nell that he had met Oliver and hanged out with him, and then kind of intimated that if they (Oliver and Nell) got back together she could still sleep with him (Raj). He's still a major douche when it comes to the way he treats women and therefore he's likely to continue to be unlucky in love. Like others have said if I was in that situation I would have carefully tried to extricate myself out of the whole thing as quickly as possible, not start up a bromance with the Husband lol.

I found the whole Shelnard plot very meh and not very funny. Sheldon was trying to respect Leonard and be considerate whilst working in there being as quiet as possible but Leonard I thought was acting like an ass over it because it wasn't the Sheldon he experienced. Leonard got it wrong, it wasn't that Sheldon was deliberately all the time being like he was when they used to live together, that's just how he was back then (of course there were some examples when he deliberately made it hard for him, but then Leonard had his moments as well).

He's trying to be considerate to Amy by not making their apartment an office and so he was trying to also at the same time be considerate to Leonard, which I have to praise him for at least trying to. Then of course we had to have the gag and make it old school so that Leonard is happy in the end. Very meh storyline I thought. I wonder where they are going to go with this going forward, is this is a way to get the Sheldon/Leonard/Penny interacting again more in stories without moving him back in? Or will we never really see much of Sheldon working there and presumably at some point he will stop using the room?

Leonard and Amy interaction I thought was the best and probably the one interaction I found funny. You know the previous episode when Leonard and Amy seem to be interacting well and getting along better in a friendship kind of way? Well I was right lol they reverted more to their usual interactions the following week. It was deliberately awkward and Amy wasn't at all sympathetic to Leonard's plight. I did like how she missed Sheldon a lot and her understanding of the situation and what Sheldon was attempting to do, both in that situation be considerate to Amy and Leonard.

Penny had some ok gags, like Amy she thought Leonard was being silly. I did like how Leonard was helping Penny memorize the drugs she was selling and the side effects. lol the old anal leakage gag made another appearance, I used to laugh at that and the other side effects of the medications when Bernie used to talk about them and her days at work with a new drug.

Bernie had a good line about how long she would wait to start dating again if she and Howard broke up, Melissa and Simon have great chemistry.

That's about it for me, thought it wasn't a funny episode and one of the weakest of the season.

On a side note I don't know what it is about Guest Stars on this show but they are weaker than they used to be and have been for a while. I think the problem is they invite the Guest Stars with a story revolving around them too much instead of having them have an impact on the cast's story if that makes sense? Like the Leonard and Penny renewal of vows double bill had a lot of Guest Star power but I thought the episodes weren't that good because they were dominated too much by those Guest Star appearances and the story choices reflected that. I think they get it right with Beverly and Mary more because they usually come in as part of the story that the characters are going through instead.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1