The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smcfan42

the bath item gift hypothesis

Is it just me or does penny treat leonard like crap during the time she is with david underhill. It's almost like she cares nothing for him. I honestly have a hard time watching most of this episode since i see myself as like leonard( minus the brains). When she tosses leonard and his feelings aside when she meets david, i completely feel his pain(maybe i've been getting a bit too into the show:icon_wink:)

Well, they aren't a couple yet at that point. They don't become a couple until the end of that season. And in the previous three episodes, Leonard has been in a serious, live-in relationship with Stephanie. So what's the problem?

Steve

The Wiki

This is one of my favourite episodes. So funny! I totally agree with Steve.

well i do have to agree that the end is hilarious. The main reason in my opinion why it's so funny is that someone in the audience is laughing extremely hard at sheldon responding to the gift penny game to him.

I actually thought that david looked wayyyy too old for penny.

Yeah but it was nice to have the appearance don't you think?

sorry i don't follow(im slow like that =P)

It's a little embarrassing to say this but when sheldon said"Live long and prosper, Leonard Nemoy." I was thinking that it was signed by sheldons's room mate leonard. this confused me until i found out know leonard nemoy was.

I am huge Star Trek fan and it was this very episode which really got me hooked into the show.

I am huge Star Trek fan and it was this very episode which really got me hooked into the show.

i personally never got into star trek. I was more of a star wars fan. I kinda laughed the last time i saw an early bbt episode where leonard comes out of his room with a lightsaber and you can see that his arms are a bit muscular for a nerd lol.

I know, despite me viewing the Penny/Leonard relationship in the same way Sheldon does, it was a little hard to watch the subtle fighting between the two while Penny was interested in someone else.

Oh wait, no, I still view it as Sheldon does, because neither of us can stand the fighting.

what subtle fighting are you refering to?? In the bath item gift hypothesis I don't think there was any fighting between leonard and penny. They didn't have the occasional fight until season 3 and penny wasn't into anyone other that leonard at that time.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but you know they're pretty upset at each other when Leonard is frustrated that Penny just fell for a better looking and even more intelligent version of Leonard, feeling a double standard [which I can see Penny putting up all the time] and Penny not understanding Leonard's frustration.

...As any relationship problem, "it's complicated".

This one is my 2nd least favorite behind "Love Car" which I think is worse. It is because Penny treats Leonard like crap. In this episode Penny is shallow mean and slutty. I thought the writers did a very big disservice to the Penny character. The only reason I do not think it is the worst is because of the Spock napkin scene.

Good start and end to the episode but the whole David Underhill story is Penny at her worst.

Her supposed friend is hurt and in pain so she runs off with the new guy.

Turns up at the university with him denying Leonard ever invited her, "lots of things rhyme with yoga"

In less than 2 days she is letting him try to take nude photos of her

I think that Penny realised what Leonard was feeling at the end when they had their little confrontation. It was a bit hypocritical of Penny to suddenly say that she's interested in science, but that was the whole point: she had come to realise that not all scientists were uber-nerds.

I really didn't like that either. We got a glimpse of what Penny would have been like if she'd never met Leonard. Ugh! He's definitely made her better.

I don't know I enjoyed every single part of this episode.... ...humor+character development+progress in storyline

In season 2 episode 1 Penny says that Leonard is to smart for her to be with him....

now when Penny starts dating David  , Leonard confronts her about her excuses...it was good continuity and felt real....basically Leonard does not know how to attract Penny so he tries to cling to any excuses she gave for not dating him and tries to force her to admit the truth....but she clearly sees right through him but is affectionate to his neediness....which progressed their story forward  and probably tells us that one day they will find happiness together......then in the scene where they give each other christmas presents mocking each other for how they got taken in by David's coolness made them seem more like equals... which I think was the most important point in their plot......and Leonard mentioning that his leg was hurt was also a nice touch as he finally got Penny asking him about his leg showing the strength of their friendship..

And of course I don't think there is anyone who does not like the hug scene... :).

I don't know I enjoyed every single part of this episode.... ...humor+character development+progress in storyline

In season 2 episode 1 Penny says that Leonard is to smart for her to be with him....

now when Penny starts dating David  , Leonard confronts her about her excuses...it was good continuity and felt real....basically Leonard does not know how to attract Penny so he tries to cling to any excuses she gave for not dating him and tries to force her to admit the truth....but she clearly sees right through him but is affectionate to his neediness....which progressed their story forward  and probably tells us that one day they will find happiness together......then in the scene where they give each other christmas presents mocking each other for how they got taken in by David's coolness made them seem more like equals... which I think was the most important point in their plot......and Leonard mentioning that his leg was hurt was also a nice touch as he finally got Penny asking him about his leg showing the strength of their friendship..

And of course I don't think there is anyone who does not like the hug scene... :).

I understand but disagree with your assessment. Penny never addresses her hypocrisy and how her intellect insecurity disappears when the scientist is hot. This shows if Leonard was taller and cooler she would not care about his intellect. If Dave Underhill had not been married she would have still treated Leonard like crap. This episode made Penny appear in the worst possible light

• Like 1

One of you that has the entire series memorized can answer this but has she ever referred to Leonard as handsome when he was just wearing his normal clothes?  Otherwise we are kind of left with the feeling that she would still prefer someone better looking but she fell for Leonard anyway.  That would not be very satisfying from his perspective and he would even be left feeling that it was the reason she was holding back.

Not handsome, but cute. She said 'you are cute' recently when he was playing the cello outside her apartment.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

One of you that has the entire series memorized can answer this but has she ever referred to Leonard as handsome when he was just wearing his normal clothes?  Otherwise we are kind of left with the feeling that she would still prefer someone better looking but she fell for Leonard anyway.  That would not be very satisfying from his perspective and he would even be left feeling that it was the reason she was holding back.

no, the only time I can remember that she called him handsome was when he was wearing the tux on Pulled Groin Extrapolation when he was going to the wedding with Amy

Not handsome, but cute. She said 'you are cute' recently when he was playing the cello outside her apartment.

no, the only time I can remember that she called him handsome was when he was wearing the tux on Pulled Groin Extrapolation when he was going to the wedding with Amy

So in both cases he was either dressed up or doing something.  Maybe that is enough.  They are leaving him insecure about it though.

I understand but disagree with your assessment. Penny never addresses her hypocrisy and how her intellect insecurity disappears when the scientist is hot. This shows if Leonard was taller and cooler she would not care about his intellect. If Dave Underhill had not been married she would have still treated Leonard like crap. This episode made Penny appear in the worst possible light

I'm not saying the what Penny did was right.....

What she did was wrong (a bit believable given her history of liking hot guys)....but at the end she suffered the consequences of it...which makes it a good story

and it also helps Leonard's case as the sympathy goes to him.....  and in the end Leonard probably for the first time was able to mock Penny for good...which made both of them look equals..

So for me it was positives from all sides.. :)

Edited by vasu

She has seemed to have learned some things since. Also that Rolling Stones song come to mind... You can't always get want you want... you get what you need.

IDK. At the point in space time she was harsh. And she suffered for it - a bit.