The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MTBigBangTheoryFan

Little House On the Prairie

I saw this show many years ago. It was okay. I've never read any of the books - I wonder if they're out of print.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 2:29 PM, Miss Kitka said:

I saw this show many years ago. It was okay. I've never read any of the books - I wonder if they're out of print.

Amazon has them. 😁

https://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Volumes-Set/dp/0064400409

I got my set 30+ years ago though. And yes I've read them. I live about 35 miles from where Laura was born and Little House in the Big Woods was set. The town of Pepin, WI has erected a log cabin in her honor near where Pa Ingall's land was.

I was in my mid-teens through early twenties when the series originally aired, our family watched it religiously. It followed the books pretty loosely actually, being set after the family returned from their brief Homesteading on Indian land in Kansas Territory; which is where Little House On the Prairie really took place. On the Banks of Plum Creek took place in Walnut Grove, MN, which is where the TV series is set. The family actually only lived there a few years; while the series had Laura grow to adulthood, meet, and marry Almanzo there. In reality that took place in De Smet, Dakota Territory, where By the Shores of Silver Lake and the last four books are set.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know but like Amy I'm pretty fond of the books. BTW there's another tentative connection to TBBT besides Amy. Melissa Gilbert, who played Laura in the series, is Sara Gilbert's half sister.

Edited by Cereal Apist
corrected title of one of the books
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, Miss Kitka said:

8 hours ago, Cereal Apist said:

Amazon has them. 😁

https://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Volumes-Set/dp/0064400409

I got my set 30+ years ago though. And yes I've read them. I live about 35 miles from where Laura was born and Little House in the Big Woods was set. The town of Pepin, WI has erected a log cabin in her honor near where Pa Ingall's land was.

I was in my mid-teens through early twenties when the series originally aired, our family watched it religiously. It followed the books pretty loosely actually, being set after the family returned from their brief Homesteading on Indian land in Kansas Territory; which is where Little House On the Prairie really took place. On the Banks of Plum Creek took place in Walnut Grove, MN, which is where the TV series is set. The family actually only lived there a few years; while the series had Laura grow to adulthood, meet, and marry Almanzo there. In reality that took place in De Smet, Dakota Territory, where By the Shores of Silver Lake and the last four books are set.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know but like Amy I'm pretty fond of the books. BTW there's another tentative connection to TBBT besides Amy. Melissa Gilbert, who played Laura in the series, is Sara Gilbert's half sister.

Omg to everything!   😊😊😊

• Thanks 1