The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MTBigBangTheoryFan

Young Sheldon Season 1 Chit Chat

17 minutes ago, chucky said:

I guess they had to dumb it down some. You can't have a drunken abusive father on a sitcom. :icon_wink:

You right. it would not be funny if they portrayed him as being a drunk and abusing his Wife and Children. 

Though Personally, I would like to see George Sr. give Little Sheldon a whipping with his belt or a spanking.  But it would to 'PC' for Television now and the PTC would have a field day over it. We have come a long way since the days when Charles Ingalls (or in his case threatening Laura with a belt whipping when she came home late)  and James Evans (Good Times) could give their Kids a Spaking with a belt on TV.  That would not be allowed on TV today on either a sitcom or Drama. Many Kids on Little Hous were seen being spanked (or referenced) with a belt by their Parents 

But even though "Young Sheldon" was likely never spanked as a Kids (George probably wanted to but Mary would have never allowed it)  even though he deserved it. He should have been spank many times as a Kid. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

27 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

He should have been spank many times as a Kid. 

Can you give an example of something he did?

13 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Well if Sheldon was spanked, and was shown correcct behaviour. And not be enabled most of his life. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

When he tried to build that Rocket at the Garage

His behavior at Church. Funny as it was he should have been given a spanking. 

Those are a couple I can think of but in general, Sheldon should have been Spank. They say spanking a Child (as long as you not physically harming them) is more likely to make them a more well-disciplined Adult. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

When he tried to build that Rocket at the garage

His behavior at Church. 

Those are a couple I can think of but in general, Sheldon should have been Spank. They say spanking a child (as long as you not physically harming them) is more likely to make them a more well-disciplined Adult. 

WELL SAID!!!  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Those are a couple I can think of but in general, Sheldon should have been Spank. They say spanking a Child (as long as you not physically harming them) is more likely to make them a more well-disciplined Adult. 

As someone who has dealt with my own children in church I think there would be better ways to handle that one.

Model rockets require adult supervision.  Kids should not have access to the rocket engine when adults are not around.

1 hour ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

You right. it would not be funny if they portrayed him as being a drunk and abusing his Wife and Children. 

Though Personally, I would like to see George Sr. give Little Sheldon a whipping with his belt or a spanking.  But it would to 'PC' for Television now and the PTC would have a field day over it. We have come a long way since the days when Charles Ingalls (or in his case threatening Laura with a belt whipping when she came home late)  and James Evans (Good Times) could give their Kids a Spaking with a belt on TV.  That would not be allowed on TV today on either a sitcom or Drama. Many Kids on Little Hous were seen being spanked (or referenced) with a belt by their Parents 

But even though "Young Sheldon" was likely never spanked as a Kids (George probably wanted to but Mary would have never allowed it)  even though he deserved it. He should have been spank many times as a Kid. 

40 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Things are very different nowadays. Nowadays spanking is more likely to make the child learn that the world is dangerous and that their parents would harm them and not protect them. There are reasons professional, at least in my country, are obliged to report if they find out a child is being hit. Changes in culture and society change the effects a behavior has. 

5 minutes ago, bfm said:

Things are very different nowadays. Nowadays spanking is more likely to make the child learn that the world is dangerous and that their parents would harm them and not protect them. There are reasons professional, at least in my country, are obliged to report if they find out a child is being hit. Changes in culture and society change the effects a behavior has. 

Are you from the United States?  Spanking is an acceptable form of discipline here 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Are you from the United States?  Spanking is an acceptable form of discipline here 

In each and every state? 

I don't know the exact stance of the US mental health and welfare professionals but the Israeli one was not made out of thin air. There has been work done on these things, not just in Israel of course. It's not that no one never hits a child though, unfortunately. 

Edited by bfm

Just now, bfm said:

I don't know the exact stance of the US mental health and welfare professionals but the Israeli one was not established out of thin air. There has been work done on these things, not just in Israel of course.

It's banned in many places around the world cause studies have shown time and again that spanking is harmful to children.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bfm said:

In each and every state? 

I don't know the exact stance of the US mental health and welfare professionals but the Israeli one was not established out of thin air. There has been work done on these things, not just in Israel of course.

Yes in Each and every single  State Spanking your Children is a (totally)  acceptable form of discipline! Some parents chose not to spank their kids but the ones who do are not gonna get thrown in Jail or anything like that because they are breaking no law.  Now beating your Children (or physically harming them) is a different matter and is Child Abuse here.  

Heck, just 35 Years ago Teachers were still  allowed to spank their students before they put an end to that. 

17 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

As my daddy always said, "Spare the rod and you spoil the child"! 

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Yes in Each and every single  State Spanking your Children is a (totally)  acceptable form of discipline! Some parents chose not to spank their kids but the ones who do are not gonna get thrown in Jail or anything like that because they are breaking no law.  Now beating your Children (or physically harming them) is a different matter and is Child Abuse here.  

Heck, just 35 Years ago Teachers were still  allowed to spank their students before they put an end to that. 

Then again, you say it wouldn't be acceptable on TV. If this is such an acceptable thing then I have to wonder why would showing it on TV rise criticism. Also note that I didn't say a parent would go straight to jail for one ocassion of spanking.

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

As my daddy always said, "Spare the rod and you spoil the child"! 

Your father might have also said that you have to memorize phone numbers or write them on a paper to contact a person. Things change.

6 minutes ago, bfm said:

Then again, you say it wouldn't be acceptable on TV. If this is such an acceptable thing then I have to wonder why would showing it on TV rise criticism. Also note that I didn't say a parent would go straight to jail for one ocassion of spanking.

Because of the Parents who have a problem with it and PTC.  It acceptable in general but there parents who have problems with spanking. It is kind of controversial here. I think it no big deal. I was spank as a Kid and so were my bRothers. we all turned out fine. 

3 minutes ago, bfm said:

Your father might have also said that you have to memorize phone numbers or write them on a paper to contact a person. Things change.

Spanking is fine. The only thing that changed is you're not allowed to beat or abuse your child or anyone else's child. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Because of the Parents who have a problem with it and PTC.  It acceptable in general but there parents who have problems with spanking. It is kind of controversial here. I think it no big deal. I was Spank as a Kid and so were my bRothers. we all turned out fine. 

There lots of things that were acceptable on American TV in the 1970s that you can't say or do now. You could say the N-Word on TV in the 1970s but it now is forbidden. 

Controversial means it is not all acceptable. Also note that I said times changed. A lot of time has passed since you were a child. 

You guys think spanking is a good disciplinary method, I felt obliged to tell you about the findings that show it could be harmful and had lead to legislation against it around the world. I am not expecting to change your mind through a forum nor do I have the time to dig up all of the evidence right now.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bfm said:

Controversial means it is not all acceptable. Also note that I said times changed. A lot of time has passed since you were a child. 

You guys think spanking is a good disciplinary method, I felt obliged to tell you about the findings that show it could be harmful and had lead to legislation against it around the world. I am not expecting to change your mind through a forum nor do I have the time to dig up all of the evidence right now.

It acceptable but still kind of a controversial issue because of people who are against it but most people here aren't against it.  It acceptable form of discipline. thee no Law that says Parents can't spank their Kids or even someone else. 

We are talking two different cultures I think that the problem here.   Obviously where you live spanking (which is not beating) is not acceptable but it is here 

2 minutes ago, bfm said:

With like two seconds of googling:

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/risks-of-harm-from-spanking-confirmed-by-researchers

Our analysis focuses on what most Americans would recognize as spanking and not on potentially abusive behaviors,” says Elizabeth Gershoff, an associate professor of human development and family sciences at The University of Texas at Austin. “We found that spanking was associated with unintended detrimental outcomes and was not associated with more immediate or long-term compliance, which are parents’ intended outcomes when they discipline their children.”

[...]

“The upshot of the study is that spanking increases the likelihood of a wide variety of undesired outcomes for children. Spanking thus does the opposite of what parents usually want it to do,” Grogan-Kaylor says.

Gershoff and Grogan-Kaylor tested for some long-term effects among adults who were spanked as children. The more they were spanked, the more likely they were to exhibit anti-social behavior and to experience mental health problems. They were also more likely to support physical punishment for their own children, which highlights one of the key ways that attitudes toward physical punishment are passed from generation to generation.

(emphasis mine)

There's a ton of material out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chucky said:

Believe it or not, there is a big difference between spanking and beating.

Many things have different degrees. There's a difference between cheating in one test and chetaing in every test. Doesn't mwan cheating once means nothing at all. The reaction would also match the action.

Anyway, as I already wrote I won't be getting in depth to this discussion as I feel it would lead nowhere. Just to clarify, I am not saying people who spank kids are bad or have bad intentions. Also, not every child who was spanked would turn out highly damaged but, as @April quoted, research has shown that it elevates certain risks.

Edited by bfm

This thread is for off-topic posts from the various Young Sheldon threads.  Extended off-topic discussions will be moved here. If you wish to start a discussion for a non-show topic, we recommend the Chit Chat forum.  

• Thanks 1