Behind the Scenes Drama?

MTBigBangTheoryFan

I was recently reading a post on another Forum about behind the scenes drama on TV Shows which surprising is a very, very long list of shows from the 1950s up to the present.  so that got me to wondering about The Big Bang Theory:  

Have there ever been any stories written about there being any kind of drama, turmoil or conflict behind the scenes of The Big Bang Theory? whether it between castmember a cast member and a crew member or between crew members?  Or even a Producer and the Network? 

The only time I can remember ever hearing anything about behind the scenes conflict was during contract negotiations back in 2013.  It wasn't anything major but I remember Warner Bro. threatening to write Simon and Kunal off the show. I I think that the closest the show came to having any kind of conflict (big or small)  that made it into the Press. 

There have been rumors floating around for years that Kaley and Mayim hate each other off camera. Now I don't think they hate each other (Too strong of a word here)  but I could see where maybe they dislike each other (especially Kaley)  a little bit. I think they get along and work professionally just fine but they are probably not Friends. They both are very different people with very different background and pretty different views and opinions. I couldn't see them going out to dinner or to a Movie. we actually don't see the pictures on Instagram or Twitter very often together.  And there a decade age difference. 

It does seem like Melissa and Mayim are closer. There is more chemistry there on the screen. 

Of the Guy on this show, it seems like Kunal and Simon are the closets. I think they are friends in real life. 

Of course, with 200 or crew members and 7 cast members (or 8 if you count Stuart as he is an unofficial cast member), I wouldn't expect or think that they are all close and are Friends off camera and all get along with each other.  I am sure are probably cast members who are closest with one of the other cast member then they are with the rest. THat very common on most shows just like any workplace. We are all close to one co-worker and get along with them better then we do with another co-worker. 

As a whole, the Cast seems to work just fine with each other when they are expected to and seem to have fun to working with one another in general but off camera, they don't seem to be a tightly knitted as the cast of Friends were. Although since Friends has ended some of the cast don't keep in touch with one another but that to be expected as life goes on. Like when you graduate from High School. only a few of your Friends do you really stay in almost regular contact with while the rest you have very little contact with or lose all contact with. Life goes on and people change. Of the 6 cast members of Friends, Jen and Courtney are the closest and remain bff's to this day. They have stayed in regular contact all thee years. 

I guess we will never really know who get along the best, who doesn't, who was the closest and if there was any behind the scenes drama or bad blood between any of the cast and crew until one of them writes a book which if any of them do probably won't be until years down the road most likely.  

I do wonder who would be the most likely to write a book detailing behind the scenes drama and reveal juicy gossip and secrets? I don't think any of the Men would becue Men are not the type too "spill the beans" like Women are. I think Kaley would be the  most likely to do a book like that. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

There were two taping reports (not here) that contained a discussion of a possible Johnny-Kaley disagreement,  at a taping, right around the time they broke up.   I won't give details, simply because it's all hearsay, although both of the people reporting are very reliable, so I tend to give it some credence.  

5 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

There have been rumors floating around for years that Kaley and Mayim hate each other off camera. Now I don't think they hate each other (Too strong of a word here)  but I could see where maybe they dislike each other (especially Kaley)  a little bit.

Pure gossip, 

I think they get along and work professionally just fine but they are probably not Friends. They both are very different people with very different background and pretty different views and opinions

This is the way I see their relationship.

Of the Guy on this show, it seems like Kunal and Simon are the closets. I think they are friends in real life. 

It's actually Jim and Simon.  They have both spoken about their off-set friendship.  They both live in the same area in LA.

I think this cast is pretty drama free. 

I just wanted to add...When Jim got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chuck Lorre spoke about the cast. 

"Like a family we always don't get along but we stick together and we make something we're really proud of"

Internally they may occasionally butt heads, but nothing serious happens...nothing that spills out into the news or affects their relationships with each other outside of work.

15 hours ago, vonmar said:

I just wanted to add...When Jim got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chuck Lorre spoke about the cast. 

"Like a family we always don't get along but we stick together and we make something we're really proud of"

Do you really think that's true anymore. JMO that's about as real as Santa Claus and swamp land in Kansas.

On 2/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

The only time I can remember ever hearing anything about behind the scenes conflict was during contract negotiations back in 2013.  It wasn't anything major but I remember Warner Bro. threatening to write Simon and Kunal off the show.

Am I the only one that didn't understand those negotiations, at least when considering the relevance/value of all the main characters?

Certainly I understand that some are more important than others on the cast, but I'm surprise to see the line of differentiation drawn at Howard and Raj.  I would think losing either one would be a blow, but not a critical one.  However, the same could be said for Leonard and Penny.  Especially Penny.  This may sound sexist, but I think it's true....you get another hot blond in there and the show keeps going, maybe even without a hiccup.  Same might be true of best friend/former roommate Leonard, he might be replaceable as well if Johnny decides to leave and Penny sticks around after the "divorce".

Would losing either Penny or Leonard be a blow?  Certainly.  Fatal?  I don't think so.

But try having any version of TBBT without Sheldon.  Regardless of what anyone else is paid, I think if Penny and Leonard are worth $1 Million each, Sheldon is worth $2 Million.

20 hours ago, Vlad the emailer said:

This may sound sexist, but I think it's true....you get another hot blond in there and the show keeps going, maybe even without a hiccup.  

That is sexist, as you are assuming that the only thing Kaley brings to the show is her hotness.   Kaley also bring impeccable comedy timing, to the show.   She makes it look so easy, and it's not.   Sheldon is useless, without those others to play off of.   

Would losing either Penny or Leonard be a blow?  Certainly.  Fatal?  I don't think so.

Those running the show obviously disagreed with you, otherwise they wouldn't have paid Kaley and Johnny the money.   For me, losing those two would be fatal for me and  would be the end of my watching the show.

But try having any version of TBBT without Sheldon.  Regardless of what anyone else is paid, I think if Penny and Leonard are worth $1 Million each, Sheldon is worth $2 Million.

You take Kaley and Johnny out and Sheldon loses, not only those whose reactions make Sheldon funny, but his foils, which makes him worthless.   Besides, I would watch a version of TBBT without Sheldon, more than I would watch a version of TBBT without Kaley and Johnny.  YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 3:11 PM, Vlad the emailer said:

Am I the only one that didn't understand those negotiations, at least when considering the relevance/value of all the main characters?

Certainly I understand that some are more important than others on the cast, but I'm surprise to see the line of differentiation drawn at Howard and Raj.  I would think losing either one would be a blow, but not a critical one.  However, the same could be said for Leonard and Penny.  Especially Penny.  This may sound sexist, but I think it's true....you get another hot blond in there and the show keeps going, maybe even without a hiccup.  Same might be true of best friend/former roommate Leonard, he might be replaceable as well if Johnny decides to leave and Penny sticks around after the "divorce".

Agree!

Without leonard and penny how would the writers find funny things for sheldon. Jmo but sheldon isn funny as a stand alone character

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You can't do TBBT without either Jim, Johnny, and Kaley. TBH thy cant do the show without Kaley or Johnny. Do you think Sheldon would of been the same without Johnny and Kaley. Do you think any other blonde would share the same onscreen chemistry with Johnny then Kaley? No. Jim does not deserve more money. Thy all equally contributed. 

As for the OP,or I Remember is Johnny and Kunal having a run in over the Season 4 finalie. 

On 3/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, Tensor said:

That is sexist, as you are assuming that the only thing Kaley brings to the show is her hotness.   Kaley also bring impeccable comedy timing, to the show.   She makes it look so easy, and it's not.   Sheldon is useless, without those others to play off of.   

I could not agree more.  She has great timing and there is a reason she gets so many punchlines.

12 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I could not agree more.  She has great timing and there is a reason she gets so many punchlines.

6 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

Take out Lenny and they are a just a bunch  of comic book characters - bringing out the weird in each other.  And The insults to Kaley’s acting are just mind-boggling to me.  It comes so easy to her.  

I couldn't agree more, too! :shy:

n_0360.gif.d9c51bf5934aac62ae4da2931dbd9384.gif

Edited by veejay

On 3/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, Tensor said:

That is sexist, as you are assuming that the only thing Kaley brings to the show is her hotness.

What, are you suggesting no other hot actress can act or has comedic timing?  Who's sexist now?

And for whoever said Jim couldn't do it alone, who would suggest otherwise?  My point was that he would be, by far, the least replaceable of the cast AND that I was surprised at the equality of those three contracts.  Still am.

1 minute ago, Vlad the emailer said:

What, are you suggesting no other hot actress can act or has comedic timing?  Who's sexist now?

Point out where I said that.  You were talking about how easy it would be to replace Kaley.  You stated:

On 3/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, Vlad the emailer said:

you get another hot blond in there and the show keeps going, maybe even without a hiccup. 

You just assumed that all Kaley has is her hotness, and even mention how she could be replaced with another hot actress.  That is sexist.  All I did was bring up other things she brings to the show, things that she makes look easy, when they aren't, things that you didn't mention.  Now, if you want to talk about other actresses, by all means, bring them up, and we'll go through them, but we will talk about things other than hotness.  

1 minute ago, Vlad the emailer said:

And for whoever said Jim couldn't do it alone, who would suggest otherwise?  My point was that he would be, by far, the least replaceable of the cast AND that I was surprised at the equality of those three contracts.  Still am.

Were you surprised at the equality of the contracts at the beginning of the show?  Jim had far fewer credits, and was much less a name than Johnny and Kaley, yet he got the same amount, per show, that they did.   Least replaceable isn't usually the criteria used for salaries in the business.  Johnny and Kaley both negotiated "most favored nation status" for the contracts.  Meaning their contracts would be equal, pay wise, with Jim's.  Obviously, TPTB who were negotiating, thought the loss of Kaley and Johnny would be a major problem for the show, or they wouldn't have agreed to that.   

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, Vlad the emailer said:

Id stop watching if you took any of the cast away and left Sheldon He’s only good because the talent around him!!!!!!

Were you surprised at the equality of the contracts at the beginning of the show?  Jim had far fewer credits, and was much less a name than Johnny and Kaley, yet he got the same amount, per show, that they did.   Least replaceable isn't usually the criteria used for salaries in the business.  Johnny and Kaley both negotiated "most favored nation status" for the contracts.  Meaning their contracts would be equal, pay wise, with Jim's.  Obviously, TPTB who were negotiating, thought the loss of Kaley and Johnny would be a major problem for the show, or they wouldn't have agreed to that.   

Sheldon’s characters only as good because of the actors BESIDE him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s offensive that that don’t pay the first five starring actors the same it’s a hit because of all of their equal contributions! They shouldn’t have to fight to be given what their due!!

The sitcom is a success because of all five of the actors who all made their characters people we want to see each week! Hope the writers are being payed a million each episode??

Edited by Tensor
Removed negative comment about what other want to discuss.

3 hours ago, melissa.nehrer said:

It’s offensive that that don’t pay the first five starring actors the same it’s a hit because of all of their equal contributions! They shouldn’t have to fight to be given what their due!!

Then you don't know how negotiations go at this level.    What you might think of as their due, the studio, or the network may have other ideas.  Many times, pay is based on a combination of things, work done, perceived name value, ability to bring in viewers.  All that is taken into account.  

On 5/24/2018 at 5:26 AM, Tensor said:

Then you don't know how negotiations go at this level.    What you might think of as their due, the studio, or the network may have other ideas.  Many times, pay is based on a combination of things, work done, perceived name value, ability to bring in viewers.  All that is taken into account.  

And no doubt how good their agents are at that sort of thing. :)

On 2/28/2018 at 4:29 PM, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I was recently reading a post on another Forum about behind the scenes drama on TV Shows which surprising is a very, very long list of shows from the 1950s up to the present.  so that got me to wondering about The Big Bang Theory:  

Have there ever been any stories written about there being any kind of drama, turmoil or conflict behind the scenes of The Big Bang Theory? whether it between castmember a cast member and a crew member or between crew members?  Or even a Producer and the Network? 

The only time I can remember ever hearing anything about behind the scenes conflict was during contract negotiations back in 2013.  It wasn't anything major but I remember Warner Bro. threatening to write Simon and Kunal off the show. I I think that the closest the show came to having any kind of conflict (big or small)  that made it into the Press. 

There have been rumors floating around for years that Kaley and Mayim hate each other off camera. Now I don't think they hate each other (Too strong of a word here)  but I could see where maybe they dislike each other (especially Kaley)  a little bit. I think they get along and work professionally just fine but they are probably not Friends. They both are very different people with very different background and pretty different views and opinions. I couldn't see them going out to dinner or to a Movie. we actually don't see the pictures on Instagram or Twitter very often together.  And there a decade age difference. 

It does seem like Melissa and Mayim are closer. There is more chemistry there on the screen. 

Of course, with 200 or crew members and 7 cast members (or 8 if you count Stuart as he is an unofficial cast member), I wouldn't expect or think that they are all close and are Friends off camera and all get along with each other.  I am sure are probably cast members who are closest with one of the other cast member then they are with the rest. THat very common on most shows just like any workplace. We are all close to one co-worker and get along with them better then we do with another co-worker. 

As a whole, the Cast seems to work just fine with each other when they are expected to and seem to have fun to working with one another in general but off camera, they don't seem to be a tightly knitted as the cast of Friends were. Although since Friends has ended some of the cast don't keep in touch with one another but that to be expected as life goes on. Like when you graduate from High School. only a few of your Friends do you really stay in almost regular contact with while the rest you have very little contact with or lose all contact with. Life goes on and people change. Of the 6 cast members of Friends, Jen and Courtney are the closest and remain bff's to this day. They have stayed in regular contact all thee years. 

I guess we will never really know who get along the best, who doesn't, who was the closest and if there was any behind the scenes drama or bad blood between any of the cast and crew until one of them writes a book which if any of them do probably won't be until years down the road most likely.  

I do wonder who would be the most likely to write a book detailing behind the scenes drama and reveal juicy gossip and secrets? I don't think any of the Men would becue Men are not the type too "spill the beans" like Women are. I think Kaley would be the  most likely to do a book like that. 

Just to add my two cents: There were reports that Mayim and Kaley were at odds over their salaries, however this was debunked as completely untrue. While I agree they may not be the best of friends off-screen the whole cast has grown into their own lives in 11 plus years. I believe at first they had more social functions together like lunches or snacks after tapings but most of them are married now and their lives are different. As far as writing a book I agree it will be Kaley and not only to depict her life on TBBT but also her life off-screen  which might include her many relationships. Think she has lived a lifetime since she was sixteen. It would be a book I definitely would read.