The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad the emailer

Inconsistencies

As I stated in the one other thread I started, I am a huge TBBT fan, so I hope not to sound overly critical, I just like seeing these things pointed out.  Like on King of Queens when in at least one episode, if not more, Doug drinks scotch.  But in another episode scotch is "the one thing he won't throw down his gullet" according to Carrie.

A TBBT inconsistency I have observed is that in at least a few episodes Sheldon had major hospital phobia because of all the sick people, but when Leonard is dating Doctor Stephanie, Sheldon basically stalks her at the hospital/clinic where she works so she'll give him tests.

Have you noticed inconsistencies in TBBT?  Again, not to criticize, just to see if others have made the same, or similar, observations.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Vlad the emailer said:

A TBBT inconsistency I have observed is that in at least a few episodes Sheldon had major hospital phobia because of all the sick people, but when Leonard is dating Doctor Stephanie, Sheldon basically stalks her at the hospital/clinic where she works so she'll give him tests. observations.

He also voluntarily attends a hospital, with Beverly Hofstadter, to have his brain scanned.

On a different matter, but still relating to Sheldon, he states he can't take buses because they don't have seat-belts, yet, in The Friendship Contraction, he states he can take the bus to the dentist, but coming back under the residual effects of the anaesthesia is a problem.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

He also voluntarily attends a hospital, with Beverly Hofstadter, to have his brain scanned.

On a different matter, but still relating to Sheldon, he states he can't take buses because they don't have seat-belts, yet, in The Friendship Contraction, he states he can take the bus to the dentist, but coming back under the residual effects of the anaesthesia is a problem.

He has a germ phobia and yet he looked after Amy when she was ill, and even took  swab for the lab while she was asleep.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

He has a germ phobia and yet he looked after Amy when she was ill, and even took  swab for the lab while she was asleep.

Yeah, the show a little off with consistences. Especially concerning Sheldon. The writers seem to go in any direction the wind blows them when it concerns Sheldon and his phobias.

• Like 1

Leonard supposedly proposed to Penny in many unseen occasions, but when they count the proposals each of them had made just a little bit before they actually got engaged, they reach the number we had seen on screen. Also, they supposedly broke up many times from season 5 to the end of season 7 but there was no mention of that or reactions to that at the time. Both are cases of bad retconning. If you're going to retcon, at least have it make sense.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bfm said:

Leonard supposedly proposed to Penny in many unseen occasions, but when they count the proposals each of them had made just a little bit before they actually got engaged, they reach the number we had seen on screen. Also, they supposedly broke up many times from season 5 to the end of season 7 but there was no mention of that or reactions to that at the time. Both are cases of bad retconning. If you're going to retcon, at least have it make sense.

Yes ! If they only read previous scripts my blood-pressure would be lower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/7/2018 at 4:58 PM, bfm said:

I remember at the Professor Proton Memorial, they had each only proposed twice, then Penny did it a third time. I don't know where all those other proposals Leonard made came from. In that episode they agreed that it was 3 to 2 Penny leading. As for breaking up, I can only remember the one time in the bowling alley in season 3. As I said before, the writers don't think about anything prior to maybe the previous year when writing. That's why a lot of what they write don't make since.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

Howard told Penny he had never had a threesome, yet he and Raj had one, with the 200lb Sailor Moon girl at Comic-con.

Knowing Howard, he probably wants to forget that event. I think that's why we heard about that from a drunk Raj at Howard's bachelor party. Howard was probably talking about 2 girls and him. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:02 PM, joyceraye said:

Yes ! If they only read previous scripts my blood-pressure would be lower.

No need for them to read anything. All they'd have to do is consult with almost any member of this forum and that would eliminate most of the consistency issues...

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

In season 8 episode 23 of The Big Bang Theory we are told that Mary (Sheldon's mother) 'asked God' to give her a child that's smarter then their father when she was pregnant with Sheldon and Missy (His twin). However, in season 2 of Young Sheldon Meemaw tells Missy that her mother wasn't always religious and had turned to God when Missy was born because of 'complications'. Therefore we are given two explanations about how Mary became the religious person we have all grown to love. Does anybody know the real reason behind Mary's religious beliefs and why she really did turn to God as all I can figure out is that she wasn't always religious and that it more than likely has something to do with Sheldon and Missy.

3 hours ago, Evz-14 said:

In season 8 episode 23 of The Big Bang Theory we are told that Mary (Sheldon's mother) 'asked God' to give her a child that's smarter then their father when she was pregnant with Sheldon and Missy (His twin). However, in season 2 of Young Sheldon Meemaw tells Missy that her mother wasn't always religious and had turned to God when Missy was born because of 'complications'. Therefore we are given two explanations about how Mary became the religious person we have all grown to love. Does anybody know the real reason behind Mary's religious beliefs and why she really did turn to God as all I can figure out is that she wasn't always religious and that it more than likely has something to do with Sheldon and Missy.

I really don't know or even care. That's not the first inconsistency between the two shows. That's just from reading posts on the forum. I don't watch YS. I prefer the elder Sheldon and TBBT's version of Sheldon's youth.

How come 2 scientists working at university as researchers with high degrees cannot afford to live independently, and have to share an apartment, while a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory can pay the rent by herself, own a car, and wear different outfit every episode?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big V said:

How come 2 scientists working at university as researchers with high degrees cannot afford to live independently, and have to share an apartment, while a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory can pay the rent by herself, own a car, and wear different outfit every episode?

That's a question that I have asked myself. I've come to realize that's just the show and not question it. One reason is Sheldon doesn't like to live alone and cheaper to share an apartment. As for Penny, who knows. Maybe mom and dad are helping. We know from the show that Leonard helps with her bills occasionally.

• Like 2

Surely is a show and we should not be picky on such details. However, it is doing a great job in promoting popular science to people, including young teens and students. See Schrodinger's cat experiment and many other examples, while overlooking some real life situations (money, economics, and such) for the sake of being just a show and having a setup for creating comic situations. Nevertheless, is a great sitcom. :)

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, chucky said:

That's a question that I have asked myself. I've come to realize that's just the show and not question it. One reason is Sheldon doesn't like to live alone and cheaper to share an apartment. As for Penny, who knows. Maybe mom and dad are helping. We know from the show that Leonard helps with her bills occasionally.

This was just how the story arc was presented. If Penny did not move in across the hall there would be no story and thus no show. So I am glad she did.

• Penny Thumbs Up 2

There’s a thread on here, somewhere, where I went through the numbers.  Remember, Leonard and Sheldon became roommates not to long after Leonard got his PhD.  In an academic setting he was probably a post-doc, not making all that much.  So a roommate made sense for him, and Sheldon doesn’t need one because of money, but because he needs someone to drive him around.  A one bedroom apartment, in a mid level place( and it might not even be mid level, considering it’s elevator doesn’t work) plus utilities, plus food, is doable on a waitresses salary(About 30-35k at TCF, at that time).  Considering Penny gets a lot of her food from the guys, or taking food from work, ( and borrowing their wi-fi), she could use that money to buy clothes( and shoes!!!) and when she overspends, is when she borrows money.  I’ll see if I can find that thread later. 

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

If Penny did not move in across the hall there would be no story and thus no show. So I am glad she did.

As do I!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, chucky said:

As for Penny, who knows. Maybe mom and dad are helping.

So why did she have her utilities cut off for non-payment, and have to eat leftovers, at the cheesecake factory?

On 2/22/2020 at 4:43 PM, Tensor said:

(About 30-35k at TCF, at that time).

Minimum wage back then, was about 30-35k?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

So why did she have her utilities cut off for non-payment, and have to eat leftovers, at the cheesecake factory?

That's why I said maybe! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Minimum wage back then, was about 30-35k?

In the US, minimum wage does not include tips.  The ads were probably taking an average of tips, and adding it to the minimum wage to get the 30-35k. 

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Tensor said:

In the US, minimum wage does not include tips.  The ads were probably taking an average of tips, and adding it to the minimum wage to get the 30-35k. 

You put it so much better than I could.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:59 PM, Vlad the emailer said:

As I stated in the one other thread I started, I am a huge TBBT fan, so I hope not to sound overly critical, I just like seeing these things pointed out.  Like on King of Queens when in at least one episode, if not more, Doug drinks scotch.  But in another episode scotch is "the one thing he won't throw down his gullet" according to Carrie.

A TBBT inconsistency I have observed is that in at least a few episodes Sheldon had major hospital phobia because of all the sick people, but when Leonard is dating Doctor Stephanie, Sheldon basically stalks her at the hospital/clinic where she works so she'll give him tests.

Have you noticed inconsistencies in TBBT?  Again, not to criticize, just to see if others have made the same, or similar, observations.

That isn't an inconsistency lol. Sheldon goes to hospitals numerous times in the series. And as he grows as a character, he also learns to cope with his nuttyness. As far as the stuff with Stephanie, Sheldon is able to put aside one crazy thing for another. So in this case, his compulsive need for testing takes over his irrational fear of hospitals and germs. He feels it's necessary to be there for the tests and that supersedes his fear of germs. Just like his fear is superseded by his love and concern for Leonard when Leonard gets surgery. 

There are other inconsistencies though. But most shows have these issues, especially from later episodes ignoring early episodes. Like Howard talking about things that worked for his parents like not talking to each other and drinking. He mentions those in the first, and i believe, second seasons. However, we all know howard's dad left when howard was just a young kid (before he was a preteen if i remember correctly), so Howard wouldnt know what worked or didnt. Furthermore, those things obviously didnt work because his dad was a b**** who abandoned his family. 

Penny's life's inconsistencies bother me the most. Sometimes she is from Omaha, sometimes she was raised on a farm, sometimes it seems like she was raised in the city limits, and other things like that. 

Leonard's father's inconsistencies can be explained by character growth. When leonard's heartless cold mother was no longer controlling Leonard's father, he was able to show his true colors that he was a warm and caring dad and not the monster that graded christmas homework as a present and ignored Leonard for a skeleton boy lol. 

Bernadette's inconsistencies do bother me. They had her voice as Melissa Rauch's voice, but then changed it to a higher pitched mousy voice. Not to mention all the inconsistencies with her family life vs what we see. 

Amy's are easily attributed to character growth. 

Raj is about the only one without inconsistencies, although Sheldon's family's are few and far between, and that isn't used as a trite phrase. We see some inconsistencies from very early episodes vs the last 9 seasons, but they are rare and not very prominent. 

There's another inconsistency about Bernadette first pregnancy. She first mentions it on Feb. 14, and tells Howard the day after. Hayley is said to be born on Amy's birthday. According to the episode of Star Wars return, boys tell Sheldon he can't go to the theatre to watch the movie 'cause it's Amy's BD. The movie is released on May 4th. That is, Bernadette has whether been pregnant for only 3 months, or she found out she was pregnant while already 6-months pregnant

3 hours ago, Marie said:

There's another inconsistency about Bernadette first pregnancy. She first mentions it on Feb. 14, and tells Howard the day after. Hayley is said to be born on Amy's birthday. According to the episode of Star Wars return, boys tell Sheldon he can't go to the theatre to watch the movie 'cause it's Amy's BD. The movie is released on May 4th. That is, Bernadette has whether been pregnant for only 3 months, or she found out she was pregnant while already 6-months pregnant

You have your episodes and years confused.    

The Star Wars-Amy's birthday (and first coitus)  was in season 9, episode11 "The Opening Night Excitation" and happened in December of 2015, two months before Bernadette tells Howard about being pregnant

Episode 7, of Star Wars, was released on December 8, 2015, so that is presumably Amy's birthday.  That is the Star Wars, the episode is referencing.   Note it is in December, not May.

Two months later, in season 9, episode 16, "The Positive Negative Reaction", Bernadette tells Howard  she is pregnant, apparently on February 15, 2016, 

Bernadette delivers her first baby, Halley Wolowitz, in Season 10, Episode 11, "The Birthday Synchronicity", which  happens on Amy's birthday, in December of 2016 (Star Wars episodes 7,8, and 9 were released in December of 2015, 2017, and 2019 respectively).  One of the gags in that episode, is that Amy keeps trying to have her once a year sex, and the baby, along with Sheldon, keeps preventing her from getting it.  

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1