The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Hawking

Sexual health?

Has anyone else noticed, that there seems to be scant regard, among the characters in TBBT, for their and their partners, sexual health?

There's barely a mention of condoms (I think the only real reference to using them, was made by Howard's mother), and plenty of references to promiscuous behaviour.

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Has anyone else noticed, that there seems to be scant regard, among the characters in TBBT, for their and their partners, sexual health?

There's barely a mention of condoms (I think the only real reference to using them, was made by Howard's mother), and plenty of references to promiscuous behaviour.

They must be utilizing the pill, IUD or the yearly shot. Maybe it's not needed to be discussed. We know that Penny has had several "close calls". Amy does use the pill, even though she was not partaking in coitus at the time. That has been mentioned on the show. Penny is or was as well, she just couldn't remember to take it daily, causing her some concerns.

Edited by chucky

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I have often wondered why some of them don't have STDs by now.

Perhaps everybody who's sexually active ( which seems to be most of the cast ) except Leonard uses condoms all the time. Raj said he was 'always packin' ' which if true means he is protected so long as he uses it properly. Howard once conjured up a condom before he and Bernie were married. If he was always thus armed then he should be safe too.

In one of my unwritten fanfics Penny might be infertile with blocked tubes caused by infection : Leonard could have caught it from one of his associations or she could have got it from one of hers. 

42 minutes ago, chucky said:

They must be utilizing the pill, IUD or the yearly shot.

But that wouldn't protect against STIs.

10 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I have often wondered why some of them don't have STDs by now.

Agreed.

Given how many casual sexual encounters the various characters have, surely STIs are a real concern.

Elizabeth Plimpton had sex with both Leonard and Raj, and who knows how many people before them.

Leslie Winkle admitted to, on several occasions, waking up on a strange futon, with a bunch of people she doesn’t know.

and that's just off the top of my head.

21 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Given how many casual sexual encounters the various characters have, surely STIs are a real concern.

Elizabeth Plimpton had sex with both Leonard and Raj, and who knows how many people before them.

Leslie Winkle admitted to, on several occasions, waking up on a strange futon, with a bunch of people she doesn’t know.

and that's just off the top of my head.

There was the woman who woke up with Raj in his selective mutism days saying he was a good listener.

There was a woman with one eye and a bad leg whom Stuart brought home for one night - a scene reported in the TR but not broadcast.

46 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

There was the woman who woke up with Raj in his selective mutism days saying he was a good listener.

There was a woman with one eye and a bad leg whom Stuart brought home for one night - a scene reported in the TR but not broadcast.

Since it was never discussed, how do we know protection wasn't used? We know that Leonard didn't use protection with Penny. We know in her box of memories about Leonard there is one negative pregnancy test. As she said, she didn't keep them all. :scratchhead:

Edited by chucky

23 minutes ago, chucky said:

Since it was never discussed, how do we know protection wasn't used? We know that Leonard didn't use protection with Penny. We know in her box of memories about Leonard there is one negative pregnancy test. As she said, she didn't keep them all. :scratchhead:

We don't know. I was adding to the list of casual encounters SH could cite off the top of his head. 

9 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

We don't know. I was adding to the list of casual encounters SH could cite off the top of his head. 

I really hate to use this word assume. Since they have haven'contracted any social diseases, that we know of, I feel it is safe to assume that they used protection. Since everyone ,  except Raj, Stuart and Kripke, has significant others, I feel that social diseases are not going to happen. Kripke, god only knows how he has eluded those diseases. :icon_wink:

Edited by chucky

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Also the rather rotund lady he woke up with, in The Hofstadter Isotope.

And the 200 lbs Sailor Moon girl, he and Howard had a threesome with at comic-con.

57 minutes ago, chucky said:

Since everyone, except Raj, Stuart and Kripke, has significant others, I feel that social diseases are not going to happen.

They have significant others now, but Penny, Leonard and Howard have had pretty promiscuous sex lives in the past.

Not sure about Bernadette, but, given her reaction to the disclosures about Howard at his stag do, I'm leaning towards no.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Also the rather rotund lady he woke up with, in The Hofstadter Isotope.

And the 200 lbs Sailor Moon girl, he and Howard had a threesome with at comic-con.

They have significant others now, but Penny, Leonard and Howard have had pretty promiscuous sex lives in the past.

Not sure about Bernadette, but, given her reaction to the disclosures about Howard at his stag do, I'm leaning towards no.

I said they have SO now, so social diseases are not happening. Except maybe for Stuart, Raj and Kripke. Since, as far as we know, no one has had any social diseases, then we can assume they use protection.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chucky said:

I said they have SO now, so social diseases are not happening.

STIs can lay hidden for years, hence why many people get screened for them, when embarking on a new relationship.

Is there any indication the characters got checked out?

18 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

STIs can lay hidden for years, hence why many people get screened for them, when embarking on a new relationship.

Is there any indication the characters got checked out?

Is there any indication they didn't get checked?    All we have is silence, so anyone is free to assume that they've been check and found to be free from disease, or that they all have some sort of desease.  Take your pick.   

• Like 2

I remember in one episode where Penny tells Bernadette that since she had unprotected sex with Howard she wasn't allowed to complain about her pregnancy. Also in another episode when Amy and Sheldon go down to Beverly hills city hall to get married. Sheldon asks the clerk if they need to be tested for anything and the women replies no. Sheldon interject and says something like "Well how will you be able to tell if one of us has syphilis. " The clerk responds with "we will assume that neither of you have syphilis".