The Big Bang Theory Forums
Stephen Hawking

I bet Sheldon would love one of these.

The first few IBM Mainframes I worked on has less storage than the Commodore 64. At the time, a Mainframe with 40K, or 64K was commonplace, a "huge" machine might have 96K or 128K. The Mainframe was physically much larger than the Commodore 64. It was about 2 feet wide, 5 feet tall, and 8 feet long.

The Commodore 64 didn't have multiplication or division. The Mainframe did, but that doesn't account for the difference in the physical size.

• Koala Face 1

On 4/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

c64_mini-41927301-.jpg

Nah, he wouldn't.  He already had his 1977 Apple II, and by the time the C64 came out, he would have had a rather extensive software collection that wouldn't be compatible with the C64.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tensor said:

He already had his 1977 Apple II, and by the time the C64 came out, he would have had a rather extensive software collection that wouldn't be compatible with the C64.  

You can't install programs on this one. It's pre-loaded with the games.

• Like 1

I remember ' The Chip Shop', a BBC Schools Radio Programme that went out in the early hours of the morning. It was a series of screeches and squeals that teachers could record. These were free computer programs. You recorded them onto cassettes. Cassette players were used to load programs onto a computer. That was in the early eighties IIRC. Maggie announced  there would be a computer in every school. And lo, there was a computer in every school.  And a teacher on  a course in how to use it. If you'd told us that by the time the pupils had grown up computers would be so small and cheap there'd be one in every child's desk we would have believed it, because it was on Tomorrow's World and Maggie was a scientist anyway.

By the time they bought Sheldon his computer from Radio Shack when he was nine I rather think cassettes might have been superceded by floppy discs.

I remember home computers, including the Commodore 64 and the Sinclair, could be programmed, but that was a few years earlier when Sheldon would have been a tiddler or toddler.

I don't think we can programme home computers now, or can we ?  Those programs they used to publish in magazines, are they still useful ?

Edited by joyceraye
typo
  • Like 1

Here's something he actually does have.... available for sale on a FB trading group for £80 if anyone's interested.....

2018-11-04.png