The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
joyceraye

The TV Licensing thread.

19 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Entertainment Tax lol, well at least they are being honest about what it is.

I've read about the high tax in Scandinavian countries (plus I watch A LOT of Nordic Noir and it does come up lol) and it's very interesting that these high tax countries seem to have some of the happiest societies. I've also read the public in those countries have a lot of trust in the state and that the tax which they pay higher levels for compared to a lot of countries around the world will be spent wisely. I don't think we have anywhere near the same level of trust over here in the UK when it comes to taxation and government spending so higher tax rates have never caught on with the public really, well not to that extent of say Sweden anyway.

Yes, we pay a lot in taxes but we do have free healthcare and free education on all levels. My guess is that the Swedish people are used to this system and really doesn't want anything else or to use a word from Sheldon: homeostasis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Entertainment Tax lol, well at least they are being honest about what it is.

I've read about the high tax in Scandinavian countries (plus I watch A LOT of Nordic Noir and it does come up lol) and it's very interesting that these high tax countries seem to have some of the happiest societies. I've also read the public in those countries have a lot of trust in the state and that the tax which they pay higher levels for compared to a lot of countries around the world will be spent wisely. I don't think we have anywhere near the same level of trust over here in the UK when it comes to taxation and government spending so higher tax rates have never caught on with the public really, well not to that extent of say Sweden anyway.

Spot on. It's true that UK politicians of parties that are not in government accuse  the sitting government of being mean or wasteful and making cuts in public spending resulting in hardship. I've lost count of how many governments I've lived through and if there really had been so many cuts they'd be giving us money by now instead of taking it off us. Come election time, parties hoping to get in say they'll put a penny on taxation here and there in order to spend more on essential services. The public when interviewed say it's a good idea. However, once they are in that voting booth it's a different story. We're never quite convinced we're getting our money's worth so we don't like paying up. Not that it matters what we like ..... :)

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:
  2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

You don't really believe in detector vans, do you?

I didn't until I saw them. They make themselves very conspicuous. I thought it was a ploy until some young friends of mine were actually caught and fined.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That's ridiculous.

Why you should people who doesn't consume TV, subsidise those who do?

No, but it was primarily the Howardette wedding.

I didn't say it did, just as the post I quoted didn't say the whole of season 11 has revolved around Shamy's wedding.

Of course they make them conspicuous, because they rely on people being intimidated by them, which they wouldn't be, if they didn't see them.

Your friends were prosecuted, and TV Licensing used detector van evidence, in the trial?

I can't really complain, the new tax will cost me about $150 yearly and the old license fee would cost me about $270 yearly so I will actually save money with this new system.

Edited by Lagernisse

1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

I can't really complain, the new tax will cost me about $150 yearly and the old license fee would cost me about $270 yearly so I will actually save money with this new system.

But what about the people who don't consume TV, but now will have to pay $150 a year, to subsidise those who do?

7 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

You don't really believe in detector vans, do you?

So pretty much like the end of Season 5, if you're not a Howardette fan?

Which country are we talking about?

And if you don't have a TV/radio receiver in your household?

The UK

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zhalen565 said:

The UK

Well, the requirement for retailers to notify BBC/TVL, of the details of a purchaser/hirer, was abolished on 25 June 2013.

ETA: We seem to be pulling the thread a bit off topic, so, to avoid the wrath of Khan (beg pardon, the moderators 😊), I've started a dedicated TVL Licensing thread in Chit Chat.

https://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/topic/7350-the-tv-licensing-thread/

Edited by Stephen Hawking

As we have developed a bit of a discussion about this subject, on the [Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread, I figured we should probably try to keep that thread on topic, so I've created this thread, to allow the TV Licensing discussion to continue, without disrupting the other thread.

While the subject is, primarily, a matter for members on this side of the pond, posts from you guys on the other side, are more than welcome.

46 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But what about the people who don't consume TV, but now will have to pay $150 a year, to subsidise those who do?

They don't really have a choice as this tax will be drawn automatic on your income, no bills will be send out.

They don't really have a choice as this tax will be drawn automatic on your income, no bills will be send out.

I think that's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

This is just  a way for the Swedish goverment to get to those people that hasn't paid the license fee in the past.

This is just  a way for the Swedish goverment to get to those people that hasn't paid the license fee in the past.

Presumably, like the BBC here in the UK, they believe nobody can live without television, and anyone who doesn't pay, must be evading it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Maybe it is, but what other options are there?

48 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

As we have developed a bit of a discussion about this subject, on the [Spoilers] Season 11 Discussion Thread, I figured we should probably try to keep that thread on topic, so I've created this thread, to allow the TV Licensing discussion to continue, without disrupting the other thread.

While the subject is, primarily, a matter for members on this side of the pond, posts from you guys on the other side, are more than welcome.

A great idea @Stephen Hawking the discussion thread should be about the show and really not about this subject.

I've PM'd Tripper, asking if he would like to move the TV Licensing posts over to this thread?

ETA: He has. 🙂

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1