Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chucky

2018/2019/2020 Weather thread.

Recommended Posts

I have friends in Michigan where the two dams broke. It is VERY bad there. They may lose their whole water supply in Midland.  One of them sent me this.

flood.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here we go again. Christobal is currently on the Yucatan Peninsula with it's eye on the Gulf Coast. Early predictions is it hitting somewhere between Mississippi and Texas. That could change when it hits the Gulf of Mexico. Anyone living along the Gulf Coast should keep an eye on the Weather Channel. Anyone from Texas to Florida should be prepared. They say it's a big storm, just don't know how strong it'll get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we made it thru another Tropical Storm. We got a heck of a lot of rain and wind. We didn't lose power, which is always a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chucky said:

Well, we made it thru another Tropical Storm. We got a heck of a lot of rain and wind. We didn't lose power, which is always a good thing.

Glad to hear you are safe.  Stay well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Glad to hear you are safe.  Stay well

Thanks, I think the worst was around Jacksonville, Ocala, Tampa areas in Florida and the coasts of Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning! Hopefully everyone's Sunday morning is as beautiful as mine here in Milton, Florida. We're just a few miles east of Pensacola. It will be hot later on. Thank goodness someone invented the air conditioner.  😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hanna must be a big girl. She's headed to Texas, but here in Milton, Florida, we're getting a lot of rain and a bit of wind from her. Ahhh hurricane season, as usual, it's interesting.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 4:50 AM, chucky said:

Hanna must be a big girl. She's headed to Texas, but here in Milton, Florida, we're getting a lot of rain and a bit of wind from her. Ahhh hurricane season, as usual, it's interesting.

We're getting a lot of rain also on the other side of the pond but it can't be Hanna :icon_cheesygrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

We're getting a lot of rain also on the other side of the pond but it can't be Hanna :icon_cheesygrin:

Just like the Eastern and Mid West U.S. getting some non-Hanna thunderstorms with rain. Gotta love the weather.  😊

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as usual this time of year, something is brewing in the Atlantic Ocean. All Floridians should be keeping track thru The Weather Channel. I don't mean to watch it 24/7, but at least check from time to time so there are no surprises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East coast of Florida, as well as Ga, SC, NC and probably points North, better watch out for Hurricane Isaias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 4:05 PM, chucky said:

East coast of Florida, as well as Ga, SC, NC and probably points North, better watch out for Hurricane Isaias.

Be careful. I just wish I knew how to pronounce that. I've seen weathermen do it several different ways,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Be careful. I just wish I knew how to pronounce that. I've seen weathermen do it several different ways,

I don't know if you remember when the volcano in Iceland was erupting, but the news people couldn't even come close to pronouncing Eyjafjallajökull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tensor said:

the news people couldn't even come close to pronouncing Eyjafjallajökull

I wouldn't have tried. Just like I don't try to pronounce the names of some of my medicines. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chucky said:

I wouldn't have tried. Just like I don't try to pronounce the names of some of my medicines. 😊

It's easy,  Eyjafjallajökull, is pronounced as   eye-yav-yat-la-yo-kull.  A couple of things, the ey, is is pronounced like eye.   j is pronounced like a y, and the f is pronounced like a "v".    The ll is pronounced like "tl", hence the yat-la.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tensor said:

It's easy,  Eyjafjallajökull, is pronounced as   eye-yav-yat-la-yo-kull.  A couple of things, the ey, is is pronounced like eye.   j is pronounced like a y, and the f is pronounced like a "v".    The ll is pronounced like "tl", hence the yat-la.  

As Penny would say, "That looks like Jibber Jabber to me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chucky said:

As Penny would say, "That looks like Jibber Jabber to me".

It did to me at first, but I eventually learned a bit of it.  I did spend two years there.  I confess I did learn more German, than Icelandic.  Unfortunately, at this point most of everything I learned is gone now.   Well, except for Canadian, I can still speak that.  😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tensor said:

It did to me at first, but I eventually learned a bit of it.  I did spend two years there.  I confess I did learn more German, than Icelandic.  Unfortunately, at this point most of everything I learned is gone now.   Well, except for Canadian, I can still speak that.  😜

I, myself, am bi-lingual. I speak English and Southern Red-neck. ☺️

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, here's  doozy for y'all.   The weather services first tornado warning, for a fire tornado:

 

B76AC380-6783-4BB7-913F-7C046FBAD5DE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.708f18728415e856f617b3a8232010b5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tensor said:

OK, here's  doozy for y'all.   The weather services first tornado warning, for a fire tornado:

 

B76AC380-6783-4BB7-913F-7C046FBAD5DE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.708f18728415e856f617b3a8232010b5.jpeg

interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you can tell that Hurricane season is starting to ramp up. There's at least two storms brewing in the Atlantic and seems to be headed to the Gulf of Mexico. One possibly headed to somewhere between Louisiana and Texas and will make landfall around next Wednesday. The other storm headed for somewhere between Louisiana and the East Coast of Florida and will possibly make landfall somewhere in the same time frame. They will both make landfall between Tuesday and Thursday next week. So, everyone in the Gulf should start getting prepared. Next week will definitely be interesting indeed,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay, a hurricane BOGO.   We're ready here, stay safe chucky. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Yay, a hurricane BOGO.   We're ready here, stay safe chucky. 

 

Ditto Chucky   Stay safe

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been keeping my eyes on the Weather Channel. Marco seems to be headed toward Houston and Laura appears to be headed closer to New Orleans. I think everyone from San Antonio to Tallahassee will be getting a lot of rain and wind. From my experience with Tropical Storms/Hurricanes, landfall locations tend to change. Laura started out headed to Tallahassee, now a couple of days later, the Mississippi coast to New Orleans is under the gun for a direct hit.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 8:09 AM, chucky said:

I've been keeping my eyes on the Weather Channel. Marco seems to be headed toward Houston and Laura appears to be headed closer to New Orleans. I think everyone from San Antonio to Tallahassee will be getting a lot of rain and wind. From my experience with Tropical Storms/Hurricanes, landfall locations tend to change. Laura started out headed to Tallahassee, now a couple of days later, the Mississippi coast to New Orleans is under the gun for a direct hit.

Yeah, it sure looks like your area is getting a double whammy.  So take care and stay safe

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.