Back to the Future mistakes.

Stephen Hawking

In The Focus Attenuation, the guys discuss the time travel conundrum in BTTF 2.

But what about factual inaccuracies in the trilogy?

Here's a couple:-

1. At the party in BTTF 3, the guy demonstrating the Peacemaker says it is the latest product from Colt.

In fact, after Colt had produced the single action "Peacemaker" in 1873, they then produced a double-action revolver in 1877.

2. How could Doc Brown build the train time machine when, by his own admission, suitable components to repair (let alone build) a time circuit, wouldn't be invented until 1947, a full 62 years later?

• 1 month later...

This is one thread I hope DOESN'T take off. BTTF 1-3 are up in my top ten favorite movies, but every time I watch them I yell at the TV for all the mistakes there are in the movie.

Let's take the lightning striking the clock tower at exactly 10:04 PM. Who is to say it was EXACTLY 10:04 ? There are sixty seconds in the :04, it's pretty hard to guess which second to predict the lightning. But lets pretend that Doc Brown checked the gears in the clock tower and figured out to the second when Marty needed to hit the wired. Marty would still be late. when the alarm in the car rang, the car stalled (again) long enough to have Marty hit the wires too late. 

PS we used to live a mile or so from "Twin Pines Mall" which was actually called Puente Hills Mall  in Rowland Heights, California. We saw the fake setup like the photo booth, but no Michael J. Fox and no sign of the car.

Edited by walnutcowboy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 4:52 PM, walnutcowboy said:

This is one thread I hope DOESN'T take off. BTTF 1-3 are up in my top ten favorite movies, but every time I watch them I yell at the TV for all the mistakes there are in the movie.

Let's take the lightning striking the clock tower at exactly 10:04 PM. Who is to say it was EXACTLY 10:04 ? There are sixty seconds in the :04, it's pretty hard to guess which second to predict the lightning. But lets pretend that Doc Brown checked the gears in the clock tower and figured out to the second when Marty needed to hit the wired. Marty would still be late. when the alarm in the car rang, the car stalled (again) long enough to have Marty hit the wires too late. 

PS we used to live a mile or so from "Twin Pines Mall" which was actually called Puente Hills Mall  in Rowland Heights, California. We saw the fake setup like the photo booth, but no Michael J. Fox and no sign of the car.

What would your reaction be if they had appeared?  ;)

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2018 at 11:07 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

In The Focus Attenuation, the guys discuss the time travel conundrum in BTTF 2.

But what about factual inaccuracies in the trilogy?

Here's a couple:-

1. At the party in BTTF 3, the guy demonstrating the Peacemaker says it is the latest product from Colt.

In fact, after Colt had produced the single action "Peacemaker" in 1873, they then produced a double-action revolver in 1877.

Maybe the guy selling the Colt Peacemaker was guilty of false advertisement?

It's not impossible. 

2. How could Doc Brown build the train time machine when, by his own admission, suitable components to repair (let alone build) a time circuit, wouldn't be invented until 1947, a full 62 years later?

Didn't you hear? It runs on steam.

How did Doc Brown's last time-travel machine power its flux capacitor? -  Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange

and magnets, apparently. 

Problems:

1)

Hill Valley's a fixed point on an ever moving planet orbiting an ever moving star; So I fail to believe that any time travelling DeLorean or borrowed locomotive wouldn't arrive in space occupied by nothing in a vacuum having left space that was occupied by Hill Valley at the departure time if it just travels through time and parking lots or sky ways or railroad track.

2)

Boltzmann's formula for entropy S = kB ln W  says Marty left a timeline where lightening struck the clock tower at precisely 10:04 pm November 12 1955 and arrives in one where lightening doesn't strike the clock tower at precisely 10:04 pm November 12 1955 because of chaos theory and lightening not striking in the same place twice.

Edited by ShelledInCoopedUp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ShelledInCoopedUp said:

Didn't you hear? It runs on steam.

But the time circuit still requires ICs, or valves (tubes to you Americans).

8 hours ago, ShelledInCoopedUp said:

because of chaos theory and lightening not striking in the same place twice.

Lightning isn't striking in the same place twice. It's the same lightning strike.

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

... (tubes to you Americans).

... I'm from Croydon..

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Lightning isn't striking in the same place twice. It's the same lightning strike.

Chaos theory suggests that the odds of the same lightening bolt hitting the same mark twice doesn't really happen and that Marty left a timeline where it happened.

23 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Like Sarah Jane. 🙂

So I've heard...

I don't actually really watch Doctor Who per say because I don't. But I've seen a couple of the newer episodes and, have used Wikipedia in my time, so I'm sort of/half aware that one of the Doctor Who ladies was from Croydon, I think.

So I googled Sarah Jane Croydon based on the above knowledge on a fluke really, and sure enough, it was her.

Croydon, my Hill Valley... Has a clock tower... Yeah.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...