The Big Bang Theory Forums
veejay

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia 14 June - 15 July

yes3.gif.79f613b89e933aee70c6e1d3b9ea3c36.gif

After the great performance at the European Football Championship 2016 I was really looking forward to see our Icelandic friends again and then...
Argentina  vs  Island  1:1
…wow, just wow!  011.gif.5ade64d99a90baea155f94a3a7c47e0a.gif

fifa.png

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

I haven't read any fanfics in over 18 months. They are some very good lenny writers out including all those mentioned by@luminous. I just haven't had the time lately but will be getting back into reading all those wonderful Lenny stories out there soon. emoji16.png
Also for all those on here who are following my current story. The Correspondent Equivalent
I would like to apologise as there would not be any updates of my FF story this weekend. I have been quite busy and also due to the world Cup. I hope to update soon tho. emoji853.png

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

World cup? Ain't that where people run around and kick the ball? Soccer, I believe. 😊

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, chucky said:

World cup? Ain't that where people run around and kick the ball? Soccer, I believe. 😊

The whole world (that's why World Cup) loves football. Only a small minority calls this game "Soccer“. :icon_cheesygrin:

n_130.gif.1b9950aff5089ace341f89ee39b5f16e.gif

Edited by veejay
lol
  • Like 4

World cup? Ain't that where people run around and kick the ball? Soccer, I believe. 
It's called football and yes they skillfully kick the ball around until they score a goal. Lol without the aid of their hands unlike a certain rip off sport called football.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, veejay said:

(OT!)  The whole world (that's why World Cup) loves football. Only a small minority calls this game "Soccer“. :icon_cheesygrin:

n_130.gif.1b9950aff5089ace341f89ee39b5f16e.gif

The game of football is different here in the U. S. of A. We call ya'lls game Soccer.

56 minutes ago, veejay said:

After the great performance at the European Football Championship 2016 I was really looking forward to see our Icelandic friends again and then...

fifa.png

I was up early (well, for me) to watch the game.  LOVED IT.  I lived in Iceland for two years and was following them in the 2016 Euros.  I even orders a sweatshirt from them,  #icelandsmites

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

fifa.png.ac2004bccadf139a3a87397e4c9c097b.png
Great performance by Iceland. Well organised and a deserved 1 point. Messi was not on form as Ronaldo who basically destroyed Spain with a hat trick performance yesterday, not a big fan of him, but he was on fire in the 3-3 draw.

• Penny Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I was up early (well, for me) to watch the game.  LOVED IT.  I lived in Iceland for two years and was following them in the 2016 Euros.  I even orders a sweatshirt from them,  #icelandsmites

Yeah, and I remembered your "Icelandic background" during today's game. 😁

27 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

It's called football and yes they skillfully kick the ball around until they score a goal. Lol without the aid of their hands unlike a certain rip off sport called football. emoji23.pngemoji16.png

Well, at least in American football, there is plenty of good ole action. Unlike your "football" there is nothing short of boredom until after a couple of hours of running around in circles until finally some one wins 1 to 0 or ends in a 0 - 0 tie which leads to more boring running around aimlessly. No thanks, that's not for me. You can have your "football". That's all I have to say about soccer. To all you soccer fans, to each their own, Enjoy!

Current headline on SPIEGEL Online.de
Iceland, the gigantic football dwarf.

image-1301919-860_galleryfree-pdvp-1301919.jpg.6f0081d1ec14dcbf7515e000b1d7a340.jpg

SPIEGEL Online
Huh huh huh huh! :icon_cheesygrin:

Shouldn't it be called handball instead of football. Lol.

Well, at least in American football, there is plenty of good ole action. Unlike your "football" there is nothing short of boredom until after a couple of hours of running around in circles until finally some one wins 1 to 0 or ends in a 0 - 0 tie which leads to more boring running around aimlessly. No thanks, that's not for me. You can have your "football". That's all I have to say about soccer. To all you soccer fans, to each their own, Enjoy!

Shouldn't it be called handball instead of football. Lol.

An American football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.
And you call our football boring.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

And you call our football boring

You know nothing about American football. You just described soccer. 2 & 3/4 hours of boredom followed by 15 min of excitement. Boredom at it's best definition. If you knew anything it's American football is split up in 4 quarters of 15 Mins each. The ball is in play for the entire 1 hour of the game. Get your facts straight.

I only occasionally follow “soccer” but am looking forward to watching some World Cup and learning more. Glad @veejay started this thread and am also looking forward to following the posts here. Not sure how often (if at all) I’ll post but will be reading what others say. Hoping to find a team to follow and root for as our US squad missed qualifying.  Perhaps those rascals from Iceland????

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

You know nothing about American football. You just described soccer. 2 & 3/4 hours of boredom followed by 15 min of excitement. Boredom at it's best definition. If you knew anything it's American football is split up in 4 quarters of 15 Mins each. The ball is in play for the entire 1 hour of the game. Get your facts straight.
You are right, I know shit about American football. Apart from what i see and read. But just as you think football is boring, I think American football is boring. The amount of timeouts kills it for me. I rather watch paint dry for 3 hrs. Lol. Don't take my comments to heart or see it as an attack on you personally. It is not. I respect your opinion on the beautiful game that is football and can have a laugh at having a dig at each other's sports choices.

I only occasionally follow “soccer” but am looking forward to watching some World Cup and learning more. Glad [mention=20312]veejay[/mention] started this thread and am also looking forward to following the posts here. Not sure how often (if at all) I’ll post but will be reading what others say. Hoping to find a team to follow and root for as our US squad missed qualifying.  Perhaps those rascals from Iceland????
Football

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Don't take my comments to heart or see it as an attack on you personally. It is not. I respect your opinion on the beautiful game that is football and can have a laugh at having a dig at each other's sports choices.

I don't take it to heart. I do enjoy the chuckles at each other's sports. I do respect your opinions as well and Your example of football. I'm just ornery enough to extend conversations  This free flowing of exchanges are fun. Some people take things to serious and go overboard at times. The timeouts spoil it for me as well.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I only occasionally follow “soccer” but am looking forward to watching some World Cup and learning more. Glad @veejay started this thread and am also looking forward to following the posts here. Not sure how often (if at all) I’ll post but will be reading what others say. Hoping to find a team to follow and root for as our US squad missed qualifying.  Perhaps those rascals from Iceland????

That's the spirit! I have always been a great fan of a cultivated football game. But although Germany has been the current World Champion, I always enjoy watching other teams when my expectations promise a great game. Explaining the countless tactical variations of the game would go beyond the scope here.
So I just wish you a lot of fun! 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I'm guessing that you didn't watch Portugal-Spain yesterday, the match was anything else than boring, the final result was a draw 3-3, and some of the goals was just amazing.

• Like 4

From FIFA TV

Thanks for posting. Great goals all round. That free-kick was amazing, the way he curled the ball around the wall reminded me of one of the best free kick goals of all time by the legendary Roberto Carlos.

14 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

I'm guessing that you didn't watch Portugal-Spain yesterday, the match was anything else than boring, the final result was a draw 3-3, and some of the goals was just amazing.

Hey, Chef. Prepared for a rigorous touching?  :icon_cheesygrin:

WM2018.jpg.72f328aafed37ffdd742c55eb5b9348a.jpg

Just kidding!  :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, veejay said:

Hey, Chef. Prepared for a rigorous touching?  :icon_cheesygrin:

WM2018.jpg.72f328aafed37ffdd742c55eb5b9348a.jpg

Just kidding!  :drinks:

Oh yes,but to be honest, I really don't think my little Swedes stand a chance against your Germans.

Sweden is hopefully going for second place and will probably meet Brazil in the next round. Yippee.............

Edited by Swedish Chef
  • Like 1

Oh yes, to be honest, I really don't think my little Swedes stand a chance against your Germans.
Miracles do happen. Just saying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

Oh yes, to be honest, I really don't think my little Swedes stand a chance against your Germans.

I'm not a big fan of predictions. But I would have liked to see Zlatan again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Miracles do happen. Just saying. emoji16.png

You're totally right, it is 90 minutes to be played and anything can happen.  In 2012 Sweden was behind Germany with 4 goals but the game was a draw (4-4), after an insane Swedish second half.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

Nope, I don't watch soccer at all. The American men's team suck.

• Like 1