The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Shipping Lanes

This is the Season 12 Shipping Lanes thread.  This is for non-suportive comments about the various ships (or members of a ship), and/or comparison or debate of the different ships.  

The outcome of the BBT writers panel at Comic-Con yesterday was not surprising, not in the least. No, it was just another confirmation that TBBT has completely turned into the Sheldon/Shamy show over the last few years. The lack of interest in anything other than Sheldon/Shamy is glaringly obvious. Add "Young Sheldon" to this and you have the total "Sheldonification" of what once used to be an ensemble show. Oh well!

• Like 8
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, luminous said:

The outcome of the BBT writers panel at Comic-Con yesterday was not surprising, not in the least. No, it was just another confirmation that TBBT has completely turned into the Sheldon/Shamy show over the last few years. The lack of interest in anything other than Sheldon/Shamy is glaringly obvious. Add "Young Sheldon" to this and you have the total "Sheldonification" of what once used to be an ensemble show. Oh well!

If they changed it they changed it for a reason, I have to assume Sheldon and Shamy are mega popular so the writers changed the show to its audience.

Obviously that's great for me, but not great for other parts of the fandom.  I do wish we could all be happy and get everything we want from the viewing experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

If they changed it they changed it for a reason, I have to assume Sheldon and Shamy are mega popular so the writers changed the show to its audience.

Obviously that's great for me, but not great for other parts of the fandom.  I do wish we could all be happy and get everything we want from the viewing experience.

Well, they HAVE to be mega popular. If not, the entire concept of TPTB wouldn't be economically well finished. Unfortunately, this can only be accompanied by a massive collateral damage of the formerly unique ensemble show.
For me, the original TBBT is near dead!   /*sigh*

Edited by veejay
  • Like 5

The thing is, I actually like Shamy (Sheldon as an individual character not so much). It's just too much for my liking. It seems that everything has to revolve around Shamy/Sheldon. The balance is missing IMO.

Edited by luminous
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, luminous said:

The thing is, I actually like Shamy (Sheldon as an individual character not so much). There's just too much for my liking. It seems that everything has to revolve around Shamy/Sheldon. The balance is missing IMO.

Exactly, it's too much! TPTB may know that Sheldon and Shamy are popular but not how much is the preferred amount of them for the majority of the audience. They know Sheldon is popular so they just use him as much as they can without thinking it may be too much for many.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

If they changed it they changed it for a reason, I have to assume Sheldon and Shamy are mega popular so the writers changed the show to its audience

I don't know about that, but I checked their facebook thread about comments on Comic Con and when I looked it was overwhelmingly supportive and people were excited about what had been said so far. That may have changed since last night, but last night the honeymoon, Amy's parents coming back, Tam, etc. were coming across as quite popular.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know about that, but I checked their facebook thread about comments on Comic Con and when I looked it was overwhelmingly supportive and people were excited about what had been said so far. That may have changed since last night, but last night the honeymoon, Amy's parents coming back, Tam, etc. were coming across as quite popular.

Not for me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, veejay said:

Well, they HAVE to be mega popular. If not, the entire concept of TPTB wouldn't be economically well finished. Unfortunately, this can only be accompanied by a massive collateral damage of the formerly unique ensemble show.
For me, the original TBBT is near dead!   /*sigh*

Now there's an idea for a spin-off -- a series containing  the TBBT cast all about ensemble adventures with nothing about their relationships.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:15 AM, joyceraye said:

Now there's an idea for a spin-off -- a series containing  the TBBT cast all about ensemble adventures with nothing about their relationships.

With their collective near billions in total earnings the cast could easily build a vanity project to do that. Not sure there is a market for it as readily viable as for the Sheldon Show. It’s too late really. It’s been fun, but it’s done. 

I still haven’t stumbled across the complete s11, but the bits I’ve seen make me wonder about Amy and her child-like lover. It’s funny, sure, but  for me the emphasis on his pre-teen behaviour contrasts awkwardly with the adult  parts of their relationship. The most recent episode (not sure what season) I saw was one with Sheldon fantasising that he was working on an internal combustion engine in his lounge room, while Amy fantasises about him being a train driver. I laughed, but it’s a lot of fantasy.

They moved the goalposts of what comprises a functional adult relationship a long way with Sheldon & Amy, while stretching (eeking?) out the viability of the show.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
n
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, chucky said:

Not for me. 

I hate to say it but you may no longer be the target audience.

13 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'd watch that.

5 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I hate to say it but you may no longer be the target audience.

Maybe not, but I'm not the only one that feels the way I do! But, who really cares? As I said in another post,I record each episode, Fast Forward past parts I don't want to watch, and watch the rest. A win-win situation for me. I get to watch Lenny and not be bored with shamy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:
14 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'd watch that.

So would I. When it was about four bachelors with no girlfriends each episode had a single theme. It was only as the courting got serious the episodes got fragmented, sometimes with no link between the fragments. I liked both styles but not everyone did. Perhaps now there's no courting to do - unless Raj has a personality transplant - we could have unity of action again, at least occasionally, to please those who prefer it.

Edited by joyceraye
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

So would I. When it was about four bachelors with no girlfriends each episode had a single theme. It was only as the courting got serious the episodes got fragmented, sometimes with no link between the fragments. I liked both styles but not everyone did. Perhaps now there's no courting to do - unless Raj has a personality transplant - we could have unity of action again, at least occasionally, to please those who prefer it.

But will the cast be in or would they have to recast? Without the original cast, it wouldn't be worth watching.

5 minutes ago, chucky said:

But will the cast be in or would they have to recast? Without the original cast, it wouldn't be worth watching.

They could do it with the whole cast. I didn't think much of the Game of Thrones episode but it did show it could be done. 10.24 with everybody focussing on Ramona is another example.

8 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

They could do it with the whole cast. I didn't think much of the Game of Thrones episode but it did show it could be done. 10.24 with everybody focussing on Ramona is another example.

Sorry, don't see it happening. They have one boring show in "YS". They don't need another! I believe the show will stay the way it is or it's done.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes Those subjects are popular because that is all that they mentioned. If they would have given some substance to what may happen with Penny and Leonard there might have been different responses.  Honestly, money aside Kaley and Johnny ought to ride into the sunset as they have been replaced as the core couple because tptb assume there are no more stories to tell for them.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'd watch that.

Why? It would be the same old Sheldon taking credit for other peoples work and having to be top dog. We have that now. Don't need another show. I believe that if that is what they wanted, they never would have added Amy and Bernadette to the cast of characters.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:07 AM, luminous said:

Totally agree. Now a days you can't watch an Episode without everything revolving around Sheldon/shamy. A once proud and productive ensemble has been reduced to two cast members and 5 guests.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3

As if it's not enough that the writers only can think of stories for TBBT that revolve around Sheldon/Shamy. No, they're also trying to shove "Young Sheldon" down our throats through TBBT. Ugh!

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, luminous said:

As if it's not enough that the writers only can think of stories for TBBT that revolve around Sheldon/Shamy. No, they're also trying to shove "Young Sheldon" down our throats through TBBT. Ugh!

I have yet to watch that "YS" show. What's a tam? Isn't that some kind of dance or cookie?

Edited by chucky

This whole Young Sheldon crossover thing is so annoying. There are so many other things in the BBT universe that could be explored. Penny's sister, Leonard's siblings, Howard's dad, etc...

But no, it seems that only Sheldon's backstory is worth it to be explored these days.

Edited by luminous
  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, luminous said:

This whole Young Sheldon crossover thing is so annoying. There are so many other things in the BBT universe that could be explored. Penny's sister, Leonard's siblings, Howard's dad, etc...

But no, it seems that only Sheldon's backstory is worth it to be explored these days.

Penny's sister or Leonard's siblings wasn't even invited to their redo, pretty amazing.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, luminous said:

You mean changed to suit YS.

2 hours ago, chucky said:

Why? It would be the same old Sheldon taking credit for other peoples work and having to be top dog. We have that now. Don't need another show. I believe that if that is what they wanted, they never would have added Amy and Bernadette to the cast of characters.

The original poster implied that they wanted ensemble eps with no relationship stories or relationship drama as I took it. (If I was wrong I apologize...perhaps Joyceraye could clarify if that's the case) That's what I'd like to see, too.