Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Information for Attending a Big Bang Theory Taping

Recommended Posts

To all: 

I wanted to post some information and my experience regarding the show Tapings.I attended the 3/19 taping. My wife and I were #27 and #28.  They only brought 50 Regular ticket holders back that I am 100% aware of. They basically said that standby folks most likely will not get in.  There were a boatload of VIP's, many from the ellen show again (as they showed the previous weeks taping which Ellen guest starred in).  There were a LOT of friends and family of the cast and crew there. 

I did get the chance to talk with a few Audiences Unlimited folks and they echoed that moving forward, A guaranteed ticket will be more like a standby. Their advice was get there EARLY even with a guaranteed ticket.  We arrived at 1:30. 

About the taping:
They said this was the 275th episode taping, which ties the series with Cheers. Once they pass them, they will be the longest running Sitcom ever on TV. They also said it was a special occasion as they had multiple camera's set up to tape the audience as well as camera crews interviewing guests who where getting in.  We were chosen to be interviewed and the overall message was what TBBT meant to my wife and I, and what we wanted to say to the cast and crew.  Bittersweet as they mentioned it will be played for them at the series finale parties or something like that and may end up on the final season DVD.  When I asked why they didn't do it at a later taping, they said they wanted the true fans that didn't live local and had a story about how they came to see the show which would not be available because the remaining tapings were going to be primarily VIP. 

We were ushered back, as expected as very well explained throughout the forum. What we were not prepared for was the Time/distance/wait between parking structure and the studio. It was not a really big deal but my wife does have a bad knee which requires some forethought for those types of walks but seeing she was semi prepared, not a big deal.   **Note** I think we say Kaley Cuoco driving her ML350 with License plate Amimlvr. Looked like her and I thought I saw her car/plate picture on a forum someplace.  Not a big deal but was neat.  We saw a bunch of other cast/crew cars, including what we thought was Will Wheaton's car, vanity plate ITISWL. 

The studio has such an energy about it.  Not to mention it was built in the 1930's and it was just amazing to see how many times that building was transformed for whatever magic they needed to make.  They have a plaque on the building showcasing all the movies and TV shows filmed there. The place also had the typical "old building smell" (not horrible or anything but was part of the experience).  You are security screened twice before you are seated. The MC was energetic, somewhat funny, and did his job well. Pizza was cold, Had potential if they knew about the invention of salt.

There was a Scene where Sheldon and Leonard were driving a car, and Johnny flubbed up his lines and everyone died laughing. Jim said to the audience "When you F**** up at work does everyone laugh at you?!?!!" (jokingly of course). It was rather funny.

Spoilers about the taping moved to the season 12 discussion thread,  here.


My Overall:

I am a longtime viewer of the show and for myself and my wife, was a big part of our married life.  I personally identified with many, if not all of the characters throughout the 12 years and in my mind, those characters were living, breathing people living in Pasadena that I was actually going to meet. (Not Logically, mind you but it felt that way because of my connection to the characters/show).  Seeing the show being taped was an AWESOME experience, and everyone was so professional... but you do see that they are characters and that once They yell cut, the actors go from Leonard, Penny, and Sheldon, to Johnny, Kaley, and Jim very clearly.  It popped my TV bubble a little bit, but I needed that. To see the "magic" of TV happen and to see what these individuals do to prepare for each scene is nothing short of amazing and really mimics many of the things I do in my own life before I have to present or speak so it helped me to realize "this is their job" and these characters only exist because of the writers, crew, and actors.

Id do it again in a heartbeat but im glad I didn't and couldn't If I wanted to.  This was a bucket list, once in a lifetime thing for us and it would just dilute the experience if it was just "easily available"


Thank you again to EVERYONE on this forum. The information posted was exactly what I needed to make this happen. From the Informational first post on the what, what, where, and why to the experiences and stories of everyone. 

I hope TBBT ends with a story that leaves us fulfilled.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, insomniak said:

To all: 

I wanted to post some information and my experience regarding the show Tapings.

I attended the 3/19 taping. My wife and I were #27 and #28.  They only brought 50 Regular ticket holders back that I am 100% aware of. They basically said that standby folks most likely will not get in.  There were a boatload of VIP's, many from the ellen show again (as they showed the previous weeks taping which Ellen guest starred in).  There were a LOT of friends and family of the cast and crew there. 

I did get the chance to talk with a few Audiences Unlimited folks and they echoed that moving forward, A guaranteed ticket will be more like a standby. Their advice was get there EARLY even with a guaranteed ticket.  We arrived at 1:30. 

About the taping:
They said this was the 275th episode taping, which ties the series with Cheers. Once they pass them, they will be the longest running Sitcom ever on TV. They also said it was a special occasion as they had multiple camera's set up to tape the audience as well as camera crews interviewing guests who where getting in.  We were chosen to be interviewed and the overall message was what TBBT meant to my wife and I, and what we wanted to say to the cast and crew.  Bittersweet as they mentioned it will be played for them at the series finale parties or something like that and may end up on the final season DVD.  When I asked why they didn't do it at a later taping, they said they wanted the true fans that didn't live local and had a story about how they came to see the show which would not be available because the remaining tapings were going to be primarily VIP. 

We were ushered back, as expected as very well explained throughout the forum. What we were not prepared for was the Time/distance/wait between parking structure and the studio. It was not a really big deal but my wife does have a bad knee which requires some forethought for those types of walks but seeing she was semi prepared, not a big deal.   **Note** I think we say Kaley Cuoco driving her ML350 with License plate Amimlvr. Looked like her and I thought I saw her car/plate picture on a forum someplace.  Not a big deal but was neat.  We saw a bunch of other cast/crew cars, including what we thought was Will Wheaton's car, vanity plate ITISWL. 

The studio has such an energy about it.  Not to mention it was built in the 1930's and it was just amazing to see how many times that building was transformed for whatever magic they needed to make.  They have a plaque on the building showcasing all the movies and TV shows filmed there. The place also had the typical "old building smell" (not horrible or anything but was part of the experience).  You are security screened twice before you are seated. The MC was energetic, somewhat funny, and did his job well. Pizza was cold, Had potential if they knew about the invention of salt.

There was a Scene where Sheldon and Leonard were driving a car, and Johnny flubbed up his lines and everyone died laughing. Jim said to the audience "When you F**** up at work does everyone laugh at you?!?!!" (jokingly of course). It was rather funny.

**MILD SPOILER ALERT**
So, as for the episode, I will not give out a full Play by Play on what we watched, but will give an overview..

Previous taping.  - Story continues in regard to Sheldon and Amy's Nobel prize, No finalization there. There was a personality switch between 2 main characters which was foreseeable within the subtext of the episode but was needed.  There was also a rather "back to the shows roots" story involving Howard, Raj, and Bernadette which I found funny and reminiscent. No real shockers or reveals with Leonard or Penny.

The taping we saw:  Show took again a "back to its roots" Format, which I really enjoyed. Felt more like a season 3-5 episode than the current season's wind down. Leonard and Raj are the 2 main story points in this episode. The group confronts Leonard about an issue that should have been addressed seasons ago so we could have seen more organic growth but it is relevant to cleanly breaking the series.  It's a good character development move for Leonard which could be the basis of the series finale IF they decided to develop it more.  In WHAT WE SAW BEING TAPED (yes, I capped that for a reason), it seemed the development/story did the typical Birth, Growth, Death cycle you see in a 30 minute sitcom BUT I wouldn't be surprised if there was an alternate story line taped as I really feel this could be a great story progression to end the show.

Raj's story did have Anu Present but it had nothing to do with their relationship. It focused around Raj's work and his reputation within the scientific community. Was a great side story to the primary plot.

My Overall:

I am a longtime viewer of the show and for myself and my wife, was a big part of our married life.  I personally identified with many, if not all of the characters throughout the 12 years and in my mind, those characters were living, breathing people living in Pasadena that I was actually going to meet. (Not Logically, mind you but it felt that way because of my connection to the characters/show).  Seeing the show being taped was an AWESOME experience, and everyone was so professional... but you do see that they are characters and that once They yell cut, the actors go from Leonard, Penny, and Sheldon, to Johnny, Kaley, and Jim very clearly.  It popped my TV bubble a little bit, but I needed that. To see the "magic" of TV happen and to see what these individuals do to prepare for each scene is nothing short of amazing and really mimics many of the things I do in my own life before I have to present or speak so it helped me to realize "this is their job" and these characters only exist because of the writers, crew, and actors.

Id do it again in a heartbeat but im glad I didn't and couldn't If I wanted to.  This was a bucket list, once in a lifetime thing for us and it would just dilute the experience if it was just "easily available"


Thank you again to EVERYONE on this forum. The information posted was exactly what I needed to make this happen. From the Informational first post on the what, what, where, and why to the experiences and stories of everyone. 

I hope TBBT ends with a story that leaves us fulfilled.

 

Thank you very much for the spoilets and for the details about your experience.

I'm very very curious about the spilers, especially the Leonard story, if you could elaborate a bit in the "Series Discussion" thread that would be so so wonderful of you, that is the thread where we post all spoilers, no need to warn or avoid details. Of course you don't owe anyone anything, what you wrote was definitely generous enough

Edited by bfm
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awe man, that sounds awesome. I wish I had waited one more week haha. Oh well, I'm just so happy we got in and got to go. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@insomniak  Great report. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us! 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bfm said:

Thank you very much for the spoilets and for the details about your experience.

I'm very very curious about the spilers, especially the Leonard story, if you could elaborate a bit in the "Series Discussion" thread that would be so so wonderful of you, that is the thread where we post all spoilers, no need to warn or avoid details. Of course you don't owe anyone anything, what you wrote was definitely generous enough

The Mod moved the spoilers over to that section and I might elaborate over there a bit once I get the chance to do so. Thanks! :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, insomniak said:

To all: 

I wanted to post some information and my experience regarding the show Tapings.I attended the 3/19 taping. My wife and I were #27 and #28.  They only brought 50 Regular ticket holders back that I am 100% aware of. They basically said that standby folks most likely will not get in.  There were a boatload of VIP's, many from the ellen show again (as they showed the previous weeks taping which Ellen guest starred in).  There were a LOT of friends and family of the cast and crew there. 

I did get the chance to talk with a few Audiences Unlimited folks and they echoed that moving forward, A guaranteed ticket will be more like a standby. Their advice was get there EARLY even with a guaranteed ticket.  We arrived at 1:30. 

About the taping:
They said this was the 275th episode taping, which ties the series with Cheers. Once they pass them, they will be the longest running Sitcom ever on TV. They also said it was a special occasion as they had multiple camera's set up to tape the audience as well as camera crews interviewing guests who where getting in.  We were chosen to be interviewed and the overall message was what TBBT meant to my wife and I, and what we wanted to say to the cast and crew.  Bittersweet as they mentioned it will be played for them at the series finale parties or something like that and may end up on the final season DVD.  When I asked why they didn't do it at a later taping, they said they wanted the true fans that didn't live local and had a story about how they came to see the show which would not be available because the remaining tapings were going to be primarily VIP. 

We were ushered back, as expected as very well explained throughout the forum. What we were not prepared for was the Time/distance/wait between parking structure and the studio. It was not a really big deal but my wife does have a bad knee which requires some forethought for those types of walks but seeing she was semi prepared, not a big deal.   **Note** I think we say Kaley Cuoco driving her ML350 with License plate Amimlvr. Looked like her and I thought I saw her car/plate picture on a forum someplace.  Not a big deal but was neat.  We saw a bunch of other cast/crew cars, including what we thought was Will Wheaton's car, vanity plate ITISWL. 

The studio has such an energy about it.  Not to mention it was built in the 1930's and it was just amazing to see how many times that building was transformed for whatever magic they needed to make.  They have a plaque on the building showcasing all the movies and TV shows filmed there. The place also had the typical "old building smell" (not horrible or anything but was part of the experience).  You are security screened twice before you are seated. The MC was energetic, somewhat funny, and did his job well. Pizza was cold, Had potential if they knew about the invention of salt.

There was a Scene where Sheldon and Leonard were driving a car, and Johnny flubbed up his lines and everyone died laughing. Jim said to the audience "When you F**** up at work does everyone laugh at you?!?!!" (jokingly of course). It was rather funny.

Spoilers about the taping moved to the season 12 discussion thread,  here.


My Overall:

I am a longtime viewer of the show and for myself and my wife, was a big part of our married life.  I personally identified with many, if not all of the characters throughout the 12 years and in my mind, those characters were living, breathing people living in Pasadena that I was actually going to meet. (Not Logically, mind you but it felt that way because of my connection to the characters/show).  Seeing the show being taped was an AWESOME experience, and everyone was so professional... but you do see that they are characters and that once They yell cut, the actors go from Leonard, Penny, and Sheldon, to Johnny, Kaley, and Jim very clearly.  It popped my TV bubble a little bit, but I needed that. To see the "magic" of TV happen and to see what these individuals do to prepare for each scene is nothing short of amazing and really mimics many of the things I do in my own life before I have to present or speak so it helped me to realize "this is their job" and these characters only exist because of the writers, crew, and actors.

Id do it again in a heartbeat but im glad I didn't and couldn't If I wanted to.  This was a bucket list, once in a lifetime thing for us and it would just dilute the experience if it was just "easily available"


Thank you again to EVERYONE on this forum. The information posted was exactly what I needed to make this happen. From the Informational first post on the what, what, where, and why to the experiences and stories of everyone. 

I hope TBBT ends with a story that leaves us fulfilled.

 

How many regular tickets we’re given for that taping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Datitguy84 said:

How many regular tickets we’re given for that taping 

There were about 6 rows of regulars, so I figure about 125-150 people at 25 a row. it was just my bench that got in + 2 from the one next to us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My husband and i were general ticket holders #51 & #52 at the 19th March taping. My heart sank when they said over #50 was practically stand by. We got in *phew*. The last i heard they took #51 to #75 across to the studio

Edited by Kate?
More info
  • Like 1
  • It's a Tiara 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kate? said:

My husband and i were general ticket holders #51 & #52 at the 19th March taping. My heart sank when they said over #50 was practically stand by. We got in *phew*. The last i heard they took #51 to #75 across to the studio

Glad you were able to get in. That must have been scary when you found out you were considered standby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kate? said:

My husband and i were general ticket holders #51 & #52 at the 19th March taping. My heart sank when they said over #50 was practically stand by. We got in *phew*. The last i heard they took #51 to #75 across to the studio

Kate?,  Were you the couple next to the young Asian girl?  Was there a bald dude in a grey t-shirt across from you wearing a flannel around his waist like it was the 90's all over again?   Or were you the lady on the end that was separated from her husband?  

I was the bald dude :)  (and I only wore the flannel around my waist because it was warm outside but was told it might be chilly on the set).

Either way, My wife and I are really glad you got in. We felt bad that all these fans were put in limbo over a slew of extra guests from Ellen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kate? said:

My husband and i were general ticket holders #51 & #52 at the 19th March taping. My heart sank when they said over #50 was practically stand by. We got in *phew*. The last i heard they took #51 to #75 across to the studio

My heart would of sank too. Especially holding a general admission ticket. 

 

Glad you got in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How early has everyone been showing up to the studio for general admission tickets, not standby? Thanks, y’all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Texas Rose said:

How early has everyone been showing up to the studio for general admission tickets, not standby? Thanks, y’all. 

All bets are off now that general admission is not even guaranteed anymore. I think what's been done in the past doesn't mean much  now. There is a whole thread with information on attending a taping. I'd check there.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not been myself but a friend who goes regularly says it has been much busier since they announced it would be the last series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Texas Rose said:

How early has everyone been showing up to the studio for general admission tickets, not standby? Thanks, y’all. 

I got there about noon for the 12x19 taping and wasn't the first of the general admission ticket holders. After what happened at the 12x20 taping, I would probably go even earlier.

Edited by BigBangEnthusiast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, it is simply escalating!

12x13 and 12x14 you could arrive 4PM and you would have been fine, meanwhile you can't be sure about anything. 

Also reading that last episode will be fully pre-taped makes me somehow sad ... but I guess that's how it works in Hollywood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all they're doing is showing a finished episode a fortnight early to a group of VIP's just to record them laughing, why not put up a big screen outside like they do for funerals and Wimbledon, so that those who can't get in can see it too ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

If all they're doing is showing a finished episode a fortnight early to a group of VIP's just to record them laughing, why not put up a big screen outside like they do for funerals and Wimbledon, so that those who can't get in can see it too ?

I think they may act (most of) the scens, but will use the pretaped scenes for the episode. I think they did something like this with the stadium scene in season 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, Texas Rose said:

How early has everyone been showing up to the studio for general admission tickets, not standby? Thanks, y’all. 

If you have non standby tickets and you really want to get in, Id be there by 6 or 7 AM.  No Joke.  And even at that you might not be #1...  Just my 2 cents from what I saw/heard at the 3/19 taping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BigBangEnthusiast said:

Standby tickets for April 23 are up now.

They're gone now. I hope there weren't fans thinking of going in at the usual time to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have standby tickets to the second to last show ever-- April 23rd! I've never been to a taping of a show so I have no idea how early to get there. Since they are not giving out any General tickets, only standby, I probably need to be the first in line. Is 8am sensible or insane?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8am, may be too late.  I’d suggest 6-7 AM.  Even then, there is a pretty good chance of not getting in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meaning people might arrive even earlier then 6 or 7? Or that they likely won't let any standby in at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, both.  Some people have reported getting there at 7 and people were in front of them.  Since the last two will be VIPs only, there may not be any standby seats available.  This is not to say that there won’t be any seats, or that  6-7 isn’t early enough, but you should be aware of the chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.