The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Interesting article. About 10 characters that Hurt the show with their departure. And 10 that need to leave. 

https://screenrant.com/big-bang-theory-character-exits-need-to-go/

Hurt:

9. Eric Galbebhauser

8. Dan: Pharmaceutical Rep Boss

7. Priya  

6. Meemaw 

5. Mike Rostenkowiski

4. Missy Cooper 

3. Siebert 

2. Mrs Wolowitz 

1. Claire

I agree with Claire, Mrs Wolowitz, Galbenhauser, Siebert the most. While with Mrs Wolowitz. Couldent help the voice actress passing away. The character has left a huge void in the series. That they have struggled to fill. Yes Howard’s grown. But it’s iust not the same with Them living in Mrs Wolowitz house. Claire was such a fun character. Siebert and Galbenhauser is plausible to return by series end. 

Needs to go:

11. Anu  

10. Beverly 

9. Halley 

8. Larry Fowler 

7. Denise 

6. Mrs Koothrappali 

5. Bert 

4. Barry Kripke 

3. Dr Koothrappali 

2. Arthur Jefferirs

1. Stuart 

Ones i agree with most. Are Anu, Arthur Jeffries, Bert, Halley, Larry Fowler. Halley kinda ties in with Mrs Wolowitz. I beleive she was brought into replace Mrs Wolowitz. Her voice is so unauthentic. And it’s cringy. Proton (Arthur Jefferies) is also one that’s prob passé at this stage. Larry Fowler was mostly funny in Shamys wedding. Bert has been a recurring character too long imo. And with Anu.

The character is nice enough. But I agree it’s an attempt to put Raj in a marriage. When otherwise if the show was not ending. Would not be happening. Raj being single would not be the worst thing in the world. Opposed to a forced arranged marriage. 

Edited by 3ku11

8 hours ago, Tensor said:

Members of the Caltech (see I can get it), Geology department, among others.  

Actually, we have seen him play.  He was firing with both hands as him, Raj, and Howard charged after Sheldon sacrificed himself (and looking at the shots that hit Sheldon, the other team seemed to be pretty good shots.   Now, the other team may have been out of ammo, they possibly fired it all at Sheldon, but they still needed to get all of them before they reloaded.   Since they did win the trophy, it seems they were able to get all of the other team, before they were able to reload, indicating they had some sort of skill in this particular activity.   See, The Skank Reflex Analysis.  

I'm not sure the competition was so taugh, given that they apparently all were Caltech (;) ) workers. Of course some could be athletic, but this is TBBT, so all were probably not in shape. They may have been good snippers, but not good at running around. With Penny and Bernadette the physical requirements of the game may be higher.

42 minutes ago, bfm said:

I'm not sure the competition was so taugh

in the episode where the apartment is ransacked the boys report that the games stolen include call off duty 1,2,3,4 and some other shooting type games, its been shown those games increase your accuracy when firing real guns / paint guns , also it shows they have an interest and possibly their social group does as those games rely heavily on playing your friends, so possibly it would of been a tough competition between them all

its a lot of assumption though lol 

39 minutes ago, MookiStar said:

in the episode where the apartment is ransacked the boys report that the games stolen include call off duty 1,2,3,4 and some other shooting type games, its been shown those games increase your accuracy when firing real guns / paint guns , also it shows they have an interest and possibly their social group does as those games rely heavily on playing your friends, so possibly it would of been a tough competition between them all

its a lot of assumption though lol 

Leonard was terrible with a real gun LOL Although he was mostly distracted... Anyway, this is in line with the possibility of them being good snippers but not great at the more physical aspects paintball may involve when there are reasonably fit players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfm said:

Leonard was terrible with a real gun LOL Although he was mostly distracted... Anyway, this is in line with the possibility of them being good snippers but not great at the more physical aspects paintball may involve when there are reasonably fit players.

Hey, it was a major distraction! Anyone being kissed by Penny could easily forget where they are and what they're doing at the time. He's lucky he didn't shoot his toes off. He's also lucky the gun wasn't an automatic. That would have done some major damage to his feet.  😊

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Interesting article. About 10 characters that Hurt the show with their departure. And 10 that need to leave. 

Warning...all of this is my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree with me as I disagree with a LOT of what  was written!

I don't think Anu, Beverly, Larry, Stuart or Denise need to go. Anu is adequate and I expected this to be Raj's season ending or not. It's just his turn. Beverly and Larry are so good at what they do it's remarkable. I actually like Stuart and always have and I think he deserves some happiness, too. And it's about time they had a girl who was good at games and movies. If anything I'm tired of the other girls being made fun of for NOT knowing that stuff. Besides, I want to see the comic shop a couple more times before the end. I can't see why there's complaining about Raj's mom and Dad either, either. i find them personally to be funny. I don't mind Bert appearing occasionally, either. We need to have some interaction with other people at Cal Tech once in awhile. And I disagree vehemently with the choice of Barry Kripke for the same reason, plus, Barry is always good for a laugh, and this is a comedy after all.

I disagree that Meemaw should have come back. That actress is not to blame but she was universally disliked in that role. She as shoehorned in for a few quick moments and given a really bad storyline. And while I miss Mrs. Wolowitz, I think they handled her departure beautifully, aside from having Halley cry like her. That gets on every nerve I have. If you're saluting her without seeing the baby, fine, but the crying was over the top.

6 hours ago, MookiStar said:

in the episode where the apartment is ransacked the boys report that the games stolen include call off duty 1,2,3,4 and some other shooting type games, its been shown those games increase your accuracy when firing real guns / paint guns ,

Just because they owned them doesn't mean they played them enough to have it make a difference. I think they tried them since they were trendy but that thy might have played more fantasy stuff and not that much of those. I may be prejudiced because I didn't like that ep at all but I'm trying not to be.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Warning...all of this is my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree with me as I disagree with a LOT of what  was written!

I don't think Anu, Beverly, Larry, Stuart or Denise need to go. Anu is adequate and I expected this to be Raj's season ending or not. It's just his turn. Beverly and Larry are so good at what they do it's remarkable. I actually like Stuart and always have and I think he deserves some happiness, too. And it's about time they had a girl who was good at games and movies. If anything I'm tired of the other girls being made fun of for NOT knowing that stuff. Besides, I want to see the comic shop a couple more times before the end. I can't see why there's complaining about Raj's mom and Dad either, either. i find them personally to be funny. I don't mind Bert appearing occasionally, either. We need to have some interaction with other people at Cal Tech once in awhile. And I disagree vehemently with the choice of Barry Kripke for the same reason, plus, Barry is always good for a laugh, and this is a comedy after all.

I disagree that Meemaw should have come back. That actress is not to blame but she was universally disliked in that role. She as shoehorned in for a few quick moments and given a really bad storyline. And while I miss Mrs. Wolowitz, I think they handled her departure beautifully, aside from having Halley cry like her. That gets on every nerve I have. If you're saluting her without seeing the baby, fine, but the crying was over the top.

It is impossible for me to agree with you more!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

39 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I got this from Nicole this morning.  If anyone has any questions, PM me and I’ll pass it on.  She said she would answer if she remembers. 

Name: The Paintball Scattering.
In addition to the main cast, we have President Siebert, Anu, Denise and a couple of others with small parts.
***This is not scene by scene, just a summary of the episode as a whole.***
Shamy’s paper has been published and it is getting really positive feedback from the science community.  Siebert allows Shamy to eat in his private dining room, and tells them there is a lot of press to be done.  He wants Amy to do the press and Sheldon to stay out of it.  At first, Sheldon understands, but when a website publishes an interview titled “The Neurobiologist Who Revolutionized Physics” he gets very upset and blames Amy for it.  They fight through a few scenes, and at one point Amy points out she talks about Sheldon constantly through the interview and “I didn’t write the headline.”
Leonard and Penny want to have a paintball game, and throughout the episode they get Shamy, Howadette, Raj/Anu, and Denise/Stuart to join them.  (Howard volunteers both him and Bernadette without asking her, because he knows she will be game, “I’ve been pretty annoying lately and she’s gonna want to shoot me.”)
There is a comic book store scene that has Raj offering to install a doorbell alarm for Anu (he has one and loves it), and Denise tells Leonard/Penny/Stuart that her roommate is moving out and she hasn’t been able to find a new one wink wink nudge nudge.  Penny says to Stuart “you hear that?  SHE NEEDS A ROOMMATE” and he either flees to the back of the store or out the door, depending on what take they use.
Later, Stuart is telling Howardette and Raj that Denise wasn’t mad, “she said she was fine.”  They all know that wording is a bad sign and start consoling him.  Raj gets a notification on his phone from Anu’s new doorbell alarm and Bernadette tells him it’s wrong to check it.  He says “who is this guy?” and she is interested.  They see Anu hug a man and invite him in.
At the paintball game, Denise and Penny are captains. Denise picks Leonard first.  He is very confused about being picked first for anything.  Penny picks Bernadette.  I don’t recall who all is on the teams but I think Shamy is on the same team, and so is Raj/Anu.  Stuart is picked last but still picked (by Penny, who pretends there are more people to choose from so he feels better about it, but he is still thrilled because sometimes he doesn’t get picked even when there is no one else left).
During the game the fighting couples fight more intensely, and Raj makes some smart mouth comments to Anu before revealing he knows she had a guy over.  She admits it was her ex, he came to pick up some stuff, and they still talk but she isn’t cheating on Raj.  She demands he take the app off his phone, and that she should trust him.  He yells “HOW CAN I TRUST YOU I HARDLY KNOW YOU” and they stare at each other.  While this is going on, Denise finds Stuart and shoots him about 20 times.
Leonard finds Penny peeking out of her team’s base and says “bang, I got you.”  She said “why don’t you shoot me then?” he said they are too close together and it will hurt.  She says “no it won’t” and shoots him.  He is in pain and she still doesn’t believe they are too close so he shoots her and she’s like “oh wow okay that does hurt.” (They’re not fighting, I thought it was kind of an adorable scene in a way.)
At one point, Bernadette shoots Howard and he says “ow” and she offers to “kiss it and make it better,” and they go into one of the sheds to have sex.  Denise walks in on them when she tries to get the team flag and they throw it out the door to her.
Anu storms off, and Raj offers to drive her home but she refuses.  Shamy is also leaving and they offer to take her with them.  Leonard and Penny find Stuart and he admits he is scared to move too fast and lose Denise.  They both kinda give him a pep talk and Leonard at one point basically says he doesn’t think the fear of losing the person important to you ever goes away.  That leads to Stuart apologizing to Denise and swearing he’s serious about the relationship, he’s just scared.  Denise says she understands and she doesn’t want to mess it up, either.
Tag is Shamy giving a joint interview.  The interviewer asks Sheldon a question first, and it is one that Siebert had initially warned him might get asked (about the Russian paper).  Sheldon tells Amy he’ll wait in the car and runs off, and Amy smiles at the interviewer and turns the microphone back toward herself.

Sounds like a fun episode! Thanks @Tensor and thank Nicole for us. Glad she got to go for season 12!!!

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, djsurrey said:

I think the changes are nothing compared to the boat kiss and the marriage to Zack. Who snores was another unforced inconsistency.

Marriage to Zach fit Penny character. She is a free spirit and does things on a whim. 

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

5 minutes ago, Sah said:

Marriage to Zach fit Penny character. She is a free spirit and does things on a whim. 

A fake wedding to Zack is probably what she would do as a free spirited whim! A real marriage, not even likely. Even she knew he was dumb, tall, had muscles and a little money!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sah said:

Actually, no it doesn’t.   She was shown as being afraid of getting married, you don’t do things you’re afraid of on a whim.  Now, if you want to chalk it up to the alcoholic they turned Penny into, that’s more likely. 

• Like 8
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2018 at 7:35 PM, vonmar said:

You're upset about a callback to a favorite pastime for the original five, but now including Amy and Bernadette?  I think this is perfect for the final season.

What do you think they should they be doing instead?

Amen to that! Paintball would be amazing. 

15 minutes ago, Sah said:

It wasn't a whim and it wasn't a marriage.  She thought she was on a amusement park ride.  She considered it "fake". 

• Like 6
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Sah said:

Not being married fits Sheldon. He is most interested only in himself and that fits his character. I think both Penny and Sheldon characters have both changed. But some people only see what they want to see.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Thanks @Tensor and thanks to Nicole. Maybe her presence brought luck because I think this may be my favorite or second favorite of the season. I'll try to keep low expectations, but it sounds fun and good and the characters are confronted with challenges (that are also IC and consistent with the story  for a change).

First, I really like that they seem to not play into the so tired and boring jokes/dynamics they usually do with Lenny, and Leonard and Penny. This could have easily turned into a Lame Leonard feast, and maybe there are some jokes from that genre that Nicole didn't mention, but if so it is not the focus and he does get Penny. Him not wanting to hurt her sounds cute and very IC (and his comment about the fear of losing a person you love could be connected with his avoidance of shooting her to make a nice episode-based fanfic). Also, a very welcome change - Lenny are not among the fighting couples, and they actually initiate the game! They initiate something together, and something that makes sense that both of them would enjoy! (because they DO have things in common...)

I'm glad Stuart and Denise get through it. I like her and I like them together. I think she is may be the best new character of the last two seasons.

Seems like Raj's "euphoria" is finally breaking, and the realization that he doesn't know her is coming through. I think he wants a happy marriage so bad that he somewhat repressed that and convinced himself that this works for him. He jumped into a latter stage of relationship in his head. Anu may be fine with not knowing him too well before marriage and maybe she recognizes it, but she might also view the relatioinship in a positively biased light and/or try to move fast in a new relationship, due to issues to do with her ex. When she talked with Penny and Bernadette it sounded like they had a long history.

What I prefer for Raj is that he either decide to take things slower with Anu, getting to know each other, or decide to break up with her (ending things nicely this time and not like a jerk!), and later meet someone with whom he has a potential to have a good relationships. I don't have to see him married, just a hint of a potentially good relationship is enough for me (and hey, if things don't go well with Anu, I have a girl for him ;) She even, coincidentally, has a somewhat similar name). 

In a way I think a comparison could be made between Raj's relationship and Stuart's. Stuart's started "organically" and was based on him and Denise getting to know each other and mostly her seeing different sides of him, after they knew each other in a more basic way. That gave Raj the push to have his father set him up. Raj started a relationship based on a basic knowledge about Anu, they match "on paper" (in fact, he is deterred by her on person for the first minutes). Very quickly he claims he wants to marry her, and they start preparing soon. They do get to know each other, but perhaps not enough to get married soon, apparently not really enough for Raj anyway. Meanwhile, Stuart is afraid of going to fast when Denise, who he's been with for longer, suggests moving in together, and this is presented as sort of a "healthy" fear, due to caring about the relationship. Not really sure what's my point but...here.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Sah said:

Amen to that! Paintball would be amazing. 

Nah, Amy and Bernadette will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I can just see Bernadette pointing her paint gun and say "Bang, bang"!

To start the Shamy storyline is mostly filler. It will nice to see Siebert though

Like Lenny planning a group event. They may be to many not the favorite couple but they are the couple that the group is centered around.

The Denise Stuart story I like. Saying that I hope they spend less time on the screen in the final 13 episodes.

Anu has to go. I’m not sure why she was set up with Raj when she had a recent boyfriend. The wedding will be supposedly in 5 episodes. Anu reminds me how Priya  was at the end.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

I got this from Nicole this morning.  If anyone has any questions, PM me and I’ll pass it on.  She said she would answer if she remembers. 

Name: The Paintball Scattering.
In addition to the main cast, we have President Siebert, Anu, Denise and a couple of others with small parts.
***This is not scene by scene, just a summary of the episode as a whole.***
Shamy’s paper has been published and it is getting really positive feedback from the science community.  Siebert allows Shamy to eat in his private dining room, and tells them there is a lot of press to be done.  He wants Amy to do the press and Sheldon to stay out of it.  At first, Sheldon understands, but when a website publishes an interview titled “The Neurobiologist Who Revolutionized Physics” he gets very upset and blames Amy for it.  They fight through a few scenes, and at one point Amy points out she talks about Sheldon constantly through the interview and “I didn’t write the headline.”
Leonard and Penny want to have a paintball game, and throughout the episode they get Shamy, Howadette, Raj/Anu, and Denise/Stuart to join them.  (Howard volunteers both him and Bernadette without asking her, because he knows she will be game, “I’ve been pretty annoying lately and she’s gonna want to shoot me.”)
There is a comic book store scene that has Raj offering to install a doorbell alarm for Anu (he has one and loves it), and Denise tells Leonard/Penny/Stuart that her roommate is moving out and she hasn’t been able to find a new one wink wink nudge nudge.  Penny says to Stuart “you hear that?  SHE NEEDS A ROOMMATE” and he either flees to the back of the store or out the door, depending on what take they use.
Later, Stuart is telling Howardette and Raj that Denise wasn’t mad, “she said she was fine.”  They all know that wording is a bad sign and start consoling him.  Raj gets a notification on his phone from Anu’s new doorbell alarm and Bernadette tells him it’s wrong to check it.  He says “who is this guy?” and she is interested.  They see Anu hug a man and invite him in.
At the paintball game, Denise and Penny are captains. Denise picks Leonard first.  He is very confused about being picked first for anything.  Penny picks Bernadette.  I don’t recall who all is on the teams but I think Shamy is on the same team, and so is Raj/Anu.  Stuart is picked last but still picked (by Penny, who pretends there are more people to choose from so he feels better about it, but he is still thrilled because sometimes he doesn’t get picked even when there is no one else left).
During the game the fighting couples fight more intensely, and Raj makes some smart mouth comments to Anu before revealing he knows she had a guy over.  She admits it was her ex, he came to pick up some stuff, and they still talk but she isn’t cheating on Raj.  She demands he take the app off his phone, and that she should trust him.  He yells “HOW CAN I TRUST YOU I HARDLY KNOW YOU” and they stare at each other.  While this is going on, Denise finds Stuart and shoots him about 20 times.
Leonard finds Penny peeking out of her team’s base and says “bang, I got you.”  She said “why don’t you shoot me then?” he said they are too close together and it will hurt.  She says “no it won’t” and shoots him.  He is in pain and she still doesn’t believe they are too close so he shoots her and she’s like “oh wow okay that does hurt.” (They’re not fighting, I thought it was kind of an adorable scene in a way.)
At one point, Bernadette shoots Howard and he says “ow” and she offers to “kiss it and make it better,” and they go into one of the sheds to have sex.  Denise walks in on them when she tries to get the team flag and they throw it out the door to her.
Anu storms off, and Raj offers to drive her home but she refuses.  Shamy is also leaving and they offer to take her with them.  Leonard and Penny find Stuart and he admits he is scared to move too fast and lose Denise.  They both kinda give him a pep talk and Leonard at one point basically says he doesn’t think the fear of losing the person important to you ever goes away.  That leads to Stuart apologizing to Denise and swearing he’s serious about the relationship, he’s just scared.  Denise says she understands and she doesn’t want to mess it up, either.
Tag is Shamy giving a joint interview.  The interviewer asks Sheldon a question first, and it is one that Siebert had initially warned him might get asked (about the Russian paper).  Sheldon tells Amy he’ll wait in the car and runs off, and Amy smiles at the interviewer and turns the microphone back toward herself.

Thanks for posting the info.

However the episode sounds kind of boring outside of the paintball game. And even that doesn't sound to good.

The Shamy plot reminds me of when Sheldon did a interview about the paper Leonard and he published. Where he didn't mention Leonard once in the interview and Leonard's upset when he finds out. 

But it looks like they are laying the ground work for Sheldon and Amy to win a Nobel Prize.

It does sound nice that Leonard didn't want to shoot Penny saying it would hurt. And Penny proceeding to shoot Leonard because she doesn't believe him is funny.

But all in all it is another mediocre sounding episode. I hope it translates better on screen but i doubt it.

It is nice to see that Lenny aren't the ones fighting although given that they don't have a plot just some scenes it makes sense.

Edited by Zephon75
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

Actually, no it doesn’t.   She was shown as being afraid of getting married, you don’t do things you’re afraid of on a whim.  Now, if you want to chalk it up to the alcoholic they turned Penny into, that’s more likely. 

Well, Penny also thought Vegas weddings were a joke and not real. I don't think she would have done it if she thought it was a proper wedding.

Anyway, thanks for the TR!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Zephon75 said:

Thanks for posting the info.

However the episode sounds kind of boring outside of the paintball game. And even that doesn't sound to good.

The Shamy plot reminds me of when Sheldon did a interview about the paper Leonard and he published. Where he didn't mention Leonard once in the interview and Leonard's upset when he finds out. 

But it looks like they are laying the ground work for Sheldon and Amy to win a Nobel Prize.

It does sound nice that Leonard didn't want to shoot Penny saying it would hurt. And Penny proceeding to shoot Leonard because she doesn't believe him is funny.

But all in all it is another mediocre sounding episode. I hope it translates better on screen but i doubt it.

It is nice to see that Lenny aren't the ones fighting although given that they don't have a plot just some scenes it makes sense.

What for you would be a good episode ?

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

To start the Shamy storyline is mostly filler. It will nice to see Siebert though

Like Lenny planning a group event. They may be to many not the favorite couple but they are the couple that the group is centered around.

The Denise Stuart story I like. Saying that I hope they spend less time on the screen in the final 13 episodes.

Anu has to go. I’m not sure why she was set up with Raj when she had a recent boyfriend. The wedding will be supposedly in 5 episodes. Anu reminds me how Priya  was at the end.

Anu finished with her boyfriend because he was a mooch and a drag. She'd paid for him to take training courses - if  my memory serves me rightly they were writing and cookery. I assumed they weren't degree level but short ones of a few months  Then he wanted her to sub him for midwifery, which unless he was a nurse would have meant her putting him through four or five years. Any man gainfully employed let alone already holding a doctorate would have seemed attractive after that chap,

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Just because they owned them doesn't mean they played them enough to have it make a difference. I think they tried them since they were trendy but that thy might have played more fantasy stuff and not that much of those. I may be prejudiced because I didn't like that ep at all but I'm trying not to be.

that might be true if they owned one copy but to own multipul copies to me that means they liked those games as they come out once a year so they would have to buy them each and every year