The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, bfm said:

Actually I enjoy Leonard's jokes. When he does get lines (that are not OOC unnecessary or totally whacko drama) I think they're great and 12 years in Johnny still gives great performances (this IMO should be more appreciate given that in the last two years there have been times when some of the others, IMO, gave lesser performances than they used to).

Don't get me wrong Leonard has had some great jokes over the years. Not to mention physical comedy most notably when he kept walking into things whilst wearing contacts. That was great acting on Johnny's part. I was just saying he has less jokes and comedy lines given to him compared to some of the other characters.

1 minute ago, Zephon75 said:

Don't get me wrong Leonard has had some great jokes over the years. Not to mention physical comedy most notably when he kept walking into things whilst wearing contacts. That was great acting on Johnny's part. I was just saying he has less jokes and comedy lines given to him compared to some of the other characters.

Maybe because he's suppose to be the straight man to Sheldon. Who knows what the writers think, or if they do think!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRAM said:

I actually find the Shamy relationship abusive, I still think that Sheldon should have been the unmarried male of the gang, not Raj.  It would have also justified why he still acts the way he still does and allowed the writers to not to have to soften his edges giving them the ability to keep his personality still extremely wacky and funny.

I certainly once thought so. By S8 Amy wondered about that herself, which was why she wanted time to think. For years he'd been putting her down one minute and declaring they had the perfect relationship and wanting Martian children with her the next.  The trouble was, mother or no mother, she had thanks to Penndette matured enough to go 'out there' because she herself wanted to be in a relationship. However, a doctor of neuroscience wasn't going to find an equivalent intellect, single and personable, just sitting around waiting to meet someone with her personality quirks. Even Dave had been married. Before meeting Sheldon and the others she could have been happy staying single forever and dating once a year to keep her mother quiet. With a bigger pool to fish in and a five to ten years' earlier start, she might have done better than Sheldon, but that wasn't an option for her . By  mid-S9 anything left that was better was boring. She said she missed the silly games. I'm wondering even now if she'd be emotionally grown-up enough to cope with being the wife of a 'normal' forty-something man who'd be on her level intellectually. Not that we've seen many of those on TBBT.

2 hours ago, chucky said:

I don't think so. I said she knew she got married but thought it were fake. The other poster said she didn't know she was married. I don't know, maybe it is the same thing. I'm too tired right now to worry about it!

I know you like to be argumentative, but at best, she knew (thought) she had a "fake wedding ceremony", not a real one. In her mind (and this is not subjective), she was not married. It also had nothing to do with her being drunk in Vegas. When she came back and even that Thanksgiving Day, she thought Vegas weddings (by Elvis impersonators) were not real/legal/binding marriages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I know you like to be argumentative, but at best, she knew (thought) she had a "fake wedding ceremony", not a real one. In her mind (and this is not subjective), she was not married. It also had nothing to do with her being drunk in Vegas. When she came back and even that Thanksgiving Day, she thought Vegas weddings (by Elvis impersonators) were not real/legal/binding marriages.

Think what you want. I've moved on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Exactly. Once upon a time I used to hesitate to apply the  term 'uneducated' to people who live in a country where we're all sent to school or taught at home. However, I now do use it because there are many who just do not take advantage of what's on offer, either because they can't or simply won't.  They leave school without much of an education whether it's because their education was hindered in some way or because they didn't want one. So, I decided 'uneducated' or 'ill-educated' were not unfair terms really and  I could never think of a more appropriate adjective.  From her own account Penny was one of those girls who saw school as a place primarily for interacting with boys in one way or another according to her age. When they were telling her about Newton and her classmates were learning, she was probably fantasising about a teenage boy of the same name and wondering how to get him away from his girlfriend.

She may be temperamentally  'not academically inclined' as Sheldon put it, but intelligent enough to mix with people who are. When she had little choice but to apply herself to study for her new job, she did so and she passed whatever assessment it was. The manager of Bernie's section may have been afraid to tell her there was no vacancy for her friend, but the firm would never have dared let Penny loose selling medicines if she hadn't learned enough about them.  We never saw what led Bernie to decide Penny would be up to it, but Bernie and Amy  both know what she's capable of when she needs to be. Bernie has worked with her. She was even happy in the lab making the parts for the infinite persistence gizmo.

I don't think there's much point in trying to assess the intelligence of characters in a sitcom in which a lot of the humour has consisted of people with PhDs in the physical sciences behaving very stupidly. In TBBT world, implicitly at least there's no such thing as general intelligence. In terms of stupid behaviour, P, L and B seem to better than the others. And there was an ep, I think it was in S7, where S told P he envied her ability which I think is called "emotional intelligence", altho S didn't use that expression.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

I don't think there's much point in trying to assess the intelligence of characters in a sitcom in which a lot of the humor has consisted of people with PhD's in the physical sciences behaving very stupidly. In TBBT world, implicitly at least there's no such thing as general intelligence. In terms of stupid behavior, P, L and B seem to better than the others. And there was an ep, I think it was in S7, where S told P he envied her ability which I think is called "emotional intelligence", altho S didn't use that expression.

Couldn't have said it any better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

I don't think there's much point in trying to assess the intelligence of characters in a sitcom in which a lot of the humour has consisted of people with PhDs in the physical sciences behaving very stupidly. In TBBT world, implicitly at least there's no such thing as general intelligence. In terms of stupid behaviour, P, L and B seem to better than the others. And there was an ep, I think it was in S7, where S told P he envied her ability which I think is called "emotional intelligence", altho S didn't use that expression.

You're right. You'd think after eleven years we'd all know enough about what goes on in the minds of these writers to figure out the personalities of their  characters, but I must admit my take that they've always intentionally written Penny so that we see her as bright but uninterested in the academic side of life is no more than an assumption. No point really, as you say. What they're going to do with any of them any time is perm any eight from ten.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

You're right. You'd think after eleven years we'd all know enough about what goes on in the minds of these writers to figure out the personalities of their  characters, but I must admit my take that they've always intentionally written Penny so that we see her as bright but uninterested in the academic side of life is no more than an assumption. No point really, as you say. What they're going to do with any of them any time is perm any eight from ten.

I was actually pissed when they made Penny look so ridiculously stupid in the first Dr. Proton episode.  The writers seen to set the intelligence of the character at the level they need to support the latest joke they are pushing instead of working to make the joke fit the character.

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I was actually pissed when they made Penny look so ridiculously stupid in the first Dr. Proton episode.  The writers seem to set the intelligence of the character at the level they need to support the latest joke they are pushing instead of working to make the joke fit the character.

Well - put ! That episode is a prime example of it. Penny even reverted to the way she'd have spoken when she was about seven, as if she'd never learned anything since then.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Hmmmmm...

Yeah Bill when your writers suck bring on the guest stars

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Yeah Bill when your writers suck bring on the guest stars

I see, the old bait and switch!  Bring in guests to camouflage the writing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I see, the old bait and switch!  Bring in guests to camouflage the writing.

Think these might include Keith Carradine, Katey Sagal, Christine Baranski??

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

Hmmmmm...

7 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Yes to seeing Penny and Leonard's parents again! ❤️ However, I'm guessing that Bill is referring to dream castings, i.e., celebrities they've been wanting over the years. Perhaps William Shatner and/or others from the pop culture/sci-fi landscape? Thanks for sharing, @vonmar!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Maybe, depends on availability. Maybe the return of the Fowlers!

Edited by chucky

3 hours ago, Kev0821 said:

Yes to seeing Penny and Leonard's parents again! ❤️ However, I'm guessing that Bill is referring to dream castings, i.e., celebrities they've been wanting over the years. Perhaps William Shatner and/or others from the pop culture/sci-fi landscape? Thanks for sharing, @vonmar!

William Shatner finally.
Yeah. That was my first thought, too. :shy:

nb_15.gif.af0bec93bd02099856ac87ac804b36da.gif

Edited by veejay
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, vonmar said:

Hmmmmm...

I like how he prevented a flood of questions LOL

(...) I'm guessing that Bill is referring to dream castings, i.e., celebrities they've been wanting over the years. Perhaps William Shatner and/or others from the pop culture/sci-fi landscape? Thanks for sharing, @vonmar!

Yeah that's what I thought.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

I just hope they don't stretch credibility or write nonsense just for the sake of getting a star in.The one with the man from Taxi (I forget his name for a minute ) was the pits. And the Bill Gates one last year wasn't much better. 

3 hours ago, chucky said:

Maybe, depends on availability. Maybe the return of the Fowlers!

Yes please ! Or any other parents we know and/or love !  

• Like 1

New day, new (fun)facts everyone?

The Big Bang Theory: 10 Storylines That Hurt The Show (And 10 That Saved It)

screenrant.com

"...In order for one of The Big Bang Theory’s storyline to be considered for possible inclusion on this list, it first and foremost needs to stand out from many of the show’s less important developments. From there, it either needs to have made the show significantly better or taken away from what viewers loved so much about the series. Finally, it should be noted that even short-term storylines were in the running, as long as they were memorable enough to have made a large impact on the show’s legacy."

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

.The one with the man from Taxi (I forget his name for a minute ) was the pits

There have been two men from Taxi. At a guess I think you might mean Christopher Lloyd, I actually enjoyed his part on TBBT. He was also Dr. Brown on Back to the Future.

Leonards Dad played by Judd Hirsch was also from Taxi. I don't think you mean him as he is always a gem.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sah said:

I would still take Sheldon, Raj, Howard or Stuart over Leonard. The others atleast have a personality. This is just my opinion though. We are free to disagree. 

Okay while that's your opinion I massively disagree with you because in my opinion is just ridiculous. I mean had you of said you prefer the other guy's personalities over Leonard's. It would disagree but that's your opinion and that's fine, had you of said you like Leonard's personality the least again it I would have disagreed but it's your opinion and that's fine. However what you wrote implied that Leonard had no personality at all and that's ridiculous because everyone has a personality.

Also, there is a difference between liking a character and their personality, take  Sheldon, for example, he is arguably the most popular and liked character on the show. However, in real-life, the vast majority of people would have nothing to do with him due entirely to his personality, same with Stuart.

Anyway, in my opinion, Leonard has the best personality amongst the guys as he is more relatable, even if others disagree with this he definitely has a better personality than Stuart. Whos whole personality is that of a depressed weirdo, how anyone can say that is better than Leonards is beyond me.  

Also in my opinion, if we look at the group as a whole Penny has the best personality out them all by a wide margin, and Leonard & Penny together have the best personality of any of the couples. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

the Bill Gates one last year wasn't much better. 

Maybe, but personally, I enjoyed watching Sheldon running around like a chicken with his head cut off!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, djsurrey said:

There have been two men from Taxi. At a guess I think you might mean Christopher Lloyd, I actually enjoyed his part on TBBT. He was also Dr. Brown on Back to the Future.

Leonards Dad played by Judd Hirsch was also from Taxi. I don't think you mean him as he is always a gem.

Thanks. I meant Christopher Lloyd, yes. I'd forgotten Judd Hirsch was in Taxi too; I remember him mostly from Dear John USA. He was great as Leonard's father. 

Edited by joyceraye
Getting a character's name right.