The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

All 10 characters together, such a simple thing can elevate an episode

By now the schoolyard pick jokes are a little forced though, this is a 10 year long clique you've been in, yes you're getting picked

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

All 10 characters together, such a simple thing can elevate an episode

By now the schoolyard pick jokes are a little forced though, this is a 10 year long clique you've been in, yes you're getting picked

n_176.gif.e1d594591e3dc8c7c525e7168c73b62a.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, chucky said:

Too bad Lenny are on different teams.

If they weren’t they couldn’t shoot each other.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

If they weren’t they couldn’t shoot each other.

I don't know, there's always accidental friendly fire!!!

Penny could, by accident, shoot him on his "Cute Tushie"    :hi:

Edited by chucky

15 hours ago, SRAM said:

I’m sorry to say that ‘Friends’ will probably looked at as a better show in the long run, after TBBT as ended, because they stayed loyal to their original concept of the six friends and they balanced the show between the six characters during the whole series run.  TBBT will be probably be remembered as Lorre pulling an ‘Urkel’ about mid series, like was done on Family Matters, and making the show about one character and it will probably be said that Parsons was the only reason the show lasted as long as it did, which I believe is false.

I"ve never watched an entire episode of Friends and I have no desire to watch an episode of Friends. I am not a fan of any of those actors. And I do not think Parsons is the reason the show lasted as long as it did but if you go back and time early episodes Jim has a lot of time in all of them. If you are implying he was a small part of the show at first there is just no evidence for that.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

And I do not think Parsons is the reason the show lasted as long as it did but if you go back and time early episodes Jim has a lot of time in all of them. If you are implying he was a small part of the show at first there is just no evidence for that.

In the beginning I believe it was equally distributed. Since Jim started winning the awards, the show got more and more Sheldon centric. He is definitely not the main reason the show lasted so long. It's the total ensemble that pulled it off. Mostly the big three!  That's MHO!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I"ve never watched an entire episode of Friends and I have no desire to watch an episode of Friends. I am not a fan of any of those actors. And I do not think Parsons is the reason the show lasted as long as it did but if you go back and time early episodes Jim has a lot of time in all of them. If you are implying he was a small part of the show at first there is just no evidence for that.

I see the only reason to compare the shows is to the viewers satisfaction. You are going to get fans from both shows or each individually. Jim had a lot of time in the early episodes. But not as much as he has gotten in the last 5 years of the show. I myself have been on this thread since middle of season 6. The complaining, myself included, certainly has become more prevalent. People on this thread as gotten fewer. Loss of interest, too much complaining IMO are two reasons. IMDB which is somewhat of an unbiased rating system shows decline of what people think of the show. Friends never saw that decline.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, chucky said:

In the beginning I believe it was equally distributed. Since Jim started winning the awards, the show got more and more Sheldon centric. He is definitely not the main reason the show lasted so long. It's the total ensemble that pulled it off. Mostly the big three!  That's MHO!

I've been rewatching with an eye for this. The big three nearly always had more than Raj and Howard and Leonard and Sheldon had the most at least in the first season. I thought at one point Tensor actually timed some of them but I can't find those stats. I might not be remembering correctly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I've been rewatching with an eye for this. The big three nearly always had more than Raj and Howard and Leonard and Sheldon had the most at least in the first season. I thought at one point Tensor actually timed some of them but I can't find those stats. I might not be remembering correctly.

Here you go:

You can see the tides turn with S2 already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, April said:

Here you go:

THANK YOU! I had not gotten past season one with my efforts. So in season one there was more Penny and Sheldon than Leonard and Penny, and more Howard than Penny. So I was off somewhere when I thought Penny had more than Howard. And season two was the same way.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

THANK YOU! I had not gotten past season one with my efforts. So in season one there was more Penny and Sheldon than Leonard and Penny, and more Howard than Penny. So I was off somewhere when I thought Penny had more than Howard. And season two was the same way.

Yeah, Penny has a lot less screen time than this "The Big Three" branding makes you think she should have. Often Howard and Raj have more screen time than she has.

• Like 3

Leonard though had similar screen time to Sheldon in the early years (even more in season 1) and then the difference became larger. I think this is the difference most people feel. There's also the issue of plots centered around a character. I don't have a measure of that but I think most plots are about Sheldon. Penny barely has any plots about her anymore. Leonard has less than he had in the early years. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't have a measure of that but I think most plots are about Sheldon. Penny barely has any plots about her anymore. Leonard has less than he had in the early years. 

So very, very true!

• Like 2

From Glamour

The Best TV Shows of 2018

The golden age of television continued in 2018, with dozens of new shows breaking the boundaries of diversity, representation, and storytelling. Gripping dramas like Sharp Objects and The Haunting of Hill House brought the intensity while new seasons of The Good Place, Schitt's Creek, and The Big Bang Theory brought much-needed moments of levity. Our picks for the top shows of 2018 touch on all the reasons why we love TV: to cry, to feel, to think, and sometimes, just to escape. 

12/18

Big Bang Theory

The Big Bang Theory was hit or miss in season 11, but season 12—its last—is firing on all cylinders. Sheldon and Amy have never been more fun to watch as they navigate married life and professional highs and lows. (I never thought I’d be interested in Super-Asymmetry, but here I am.) Penny admitted to a heartbroken Leonard that she may never want kids, only furthering my point that Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki haven't received the individual critical acclaim they deserve for these characters. And Raj got engaged to Anu in the fastest coupling since Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. If the first half of Big Bang is any indication, it’s going to be one hell of a ride before the series finale in May. — Jessica Radloff, west coast editor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

The Big Bang Theory was hit or miss in season 11, but season 12—its last—is firing on all cylinders

I have not heard that one before.

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

but season 12—its last—is firing on all cylinders

I have to disagree here!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, vonmar said:

From Glamour

The Best TV Shows of 2018

The golden age of television continued in 2018, with dozens of new shows breaking the boundaries of diversity, representation, and storytelling. Gripping dramas like Sharp Objects and The Haunting of Hill House brought the intensity while new seasons of The Good Place, Schitt's Creek, and The Big Bang Theory brought much-needed moments of levity. Our picks for the top shows of 2018 touch on all the reasons why we love TV: to cry, to feel, to think, and sometimes, just to escape. 

12/18

Big Bang Theory

The Big Bang Theory was hit or miss in season 11, but season 12—its last—is firing on all cylinders. Sheldon and Amy have never been more fun to watch as they navigate married life and professional highs and lows. (I never thought I’d be interested in Super-Asymmetry, but here I am.) Penny admitted to a heartbroken Leonard that she may never want kids, only furthering my point that Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki haven't received the individual critical acclaim they deserve for these characters. And Raj got engaged to Anu in the fastest coupling since Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. If the first half of Big Bang is any indication, it’s going to be one hell of a ride before the series finale in May. — Jessica Radloff, west coast editor

Happy for her that she's enjoying. Couldn't help but notice the only thing she wrote about the no-kids shtick that broke Leonard's heart (see? I'm not the only one who saw Leonard as "heartbroken" there) is that the actors deserve acclaim for how they played it. Seems like classic dodging to me...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sah said:

I agree about the cheating, quickly getting with girls, and the pushiness about ILY. However, most of the things listed are writing problems. Mistakes, inconsistencies, that are all due to writing problems and not the character itself. 

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bfm said:

I agree about the cheating, quickly getting with girls, and the pushiness about ILY. However, most of the things listed are writing problems. Mistakes, inconsistencies, that are all due to writing problems and not the character itself. 

I also agree Penny is mean to Leonard and Leonard is a pushover.

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

6 hours ago, Sah said:

I also agree Penny is mean to Leonard and Leonard is a pushover.

I kinda do, although the extents of these things vary. I think some times they go over the line with Penny, especially in season 8-10, but other times it is playful, and Leonard gives back. I like their playful banter. I'd agree you could call Leonard a "push-over", that's one of his biggest flaws, but there are times when he does stand his ground and there are times when this is combined with him being caring and compassionate, and judging this in the context of his childhood and family he really turned out much better than he might have had.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2