Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, SRAM said:

There was something about that episode that just felt weird.  I didn’t like Penny in a parts of it and I felt sorry for Leonard and it just left me with sort of empty feeling about the whole plot at the end.  I did like that Zack and his wife thought Leonard was special enough to be the donor for their child but I didn’t like how Sheldon put him down so much.  Bernadette put him down in the beginning too and Penny again seemed to agree with her.

Yes, this is exactly how I felt... it's like a bittersweet way of giving Leonard what he wants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on the episode was it kind sort of weird at the tag. Sheldon and the others finding faults in Leonard is not a new concept. He did have something serious to say like how would Leonard feel knowing some persons out there with your DNA. Also the girls ultimately did not take Penny’s side. I think By the tag Penny seemed to remember that she told Leonard she didn’t want kids. The tag itself though seemed to be come out weirdly and edited funny. If I remember correctly he told her as soon she walked in if she didn’t want him to do it he eouldn’t. Then later he asked later if she’s alright with this. I don’t remember reading both. Then the idea of calling Sheldon during the tag I don’t remember. 

Maldonado I have to comment on Jessica Radloff. Her review IMO was totally nutty. She felt bad for Penny in this episode. Seems she was okay with Penny not telling Leinard about not wanting kids but went nuts on Leonard considering to donate his sperm

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelldon said:

Zack and Marissa were so lame to sit through, Leonard should donate to some better crafted characters

I also should've felt more from Raj/Anu hitting the refresh button, but Raj holding cards up was not really endearing or a sign of chemistry

12 episodes left, when do the surprises start?

Same here...  I've been having a hard time watching the episodes... I don't  know why are they (the writers) doing with the characters.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 12x03 I was expecting the worst, but this one actually wasn't so bad. What bothers me a little, that it didn't have any hints about how Penny could change her mind about having kids, like not at all. IMO, she freaked out just because that was very unusual (and kinda creepy) situation, although who knows what she was thinking for real. Kaley was acting really distant during the last scene, and I wonder, whether the point of this was not to reveal Penny's actual feelings or just make viewers believe that she's THAT indifferent on the kids' topic.

Maybe, Penny will feel different (or show her true colors), when things get more real - like when Leonard is going to be confident about saying yes to Zack and Marissa. I'd love to see how not only that situation, but also the parallel with her being nervous about new position in 12x13 kinda mix together and make Penny either revise her views or at least explain, what's her deal with suddenly being so against about having children. 

Anyway, I feel pretty positive about that after TR of the 12x13, cause I hope it all lead to something big (and happy :girl_smile:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I wrong in thinking a frat is a group of men at an American college especially a high-ranking one ? Or does it have another meaning ? If Zack ever went to a top college he must have been kicked some where much higher up than his goolies.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, smartandbeautiful said:

After 12x03 I was expecting the worst, but this one actually wasn't so bad. What bothers me a little, that it didn't have any hints about how Penny could change her mind about having kids, like not at all. IMO, she freaked out just because that was very unusual (and kinda creepy) situation, although who knows what she was thinking for real. Kaley was acting really distant during the last scene, and I wonder, whether the point of this was not to reveal Penny's actual feelings or just make viewers believe that she's THAT indifferent on the kids' topic.

Maybe, Penny will feel different (or show her true colors), when things get more real - like when Leonard is going to be confident about saying yes to Zack and Marissa. I'd love to see how not only that situation, but also the parallel with her being nervous about new position in 12x13 kinda mix together and make Penny either revise her views or at least explain, what's her deal with suddenly being so against about having children. 

Anyway, I feel pretty positive about that after TR of the 12x13, cause I hope it all lead to something big (and happy :girl_smile:)

Please, give me a little part of your confidence.

nw_196.gif.ee85934e7a91cfb2fcdd292b48260561.gif

 

Edited by veejay
Ok, wine at 8AM seems not appropriate.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Vulture gave this a 2/5, can't remember when they last gave a score for an episode so low:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/the-big-bang-theory-recap-season-12-episode-12.html

I would not know how Vulture rates episodes but I thought this one was a lot better than 2/5. I don't really care if Lenny have kids or want to. It seems to me that it is something that ought to be discussed before deciding to get married. No idea why Leonard would seriously consider donating sperm for Zack and his wife. The only value of the sperm story as I see it is wrap the series around to episode 1 season one.

The interesting issue seemed to be how undeserving Lenny thought Zack was of the money he has. A business that creates menus. One wonders how they came up with that. Could Zack be a metaphor for the writers themselves? Coming out on top without really being deserving.

23 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Am I wrong in thinking a frat is a group of men at an American college especially a high-ranking one ? Or does it have another meaning ? If Zack ever went to a top college he must have been kicked some where much higher up than his goolies.

Perhaps he played football.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Am I wrong in thinking a frat is a group of men at an American college especially a high-ranking one ? Or does it have another meaning ? If Zack ever went to a top college he must have been kicked some where much higher up than his goolies.

A frat (fraternity) is a group of men (a sorority is a group of women) that under the "Greek System" uses three Greek letters to identify themselves.  They have a "house" basically a building where member of the frat live during the school year.  Each group has it's own rules, initiations etc.  But it can be at just about any college, not just top colleges.  Individual initiation can be degrading and/or painful, depending on the Frat.  Zack's description of what happened with him, sounds like an exaggerated instance.  One of the "popular" things is a paddling (see Animal House for a good example). 

5 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

The interesting issue seemed to be how undeserving Lenny thought Zack was of the money he has. A business that creates menus. One wonders how they came up with that. Could Zack be a metaphor for the writers themselves? Coming out on top without really being deserving.

Don't forget, when Zack was introduced, he was working at his father's menu business.   It could simply be that Zack inherited the business, then sold it.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, djsurrey said:
2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Am I wrong in thinking a frat is a group of men at an American college especially a high-ranking one ? Or does it have another meaning ? If Zack ever went to a top college he must have been kicked somewhere much higher up than his goolies.

Perhaps he played football.

Can a footballer or any other sportsman get into uni without at least a certain minimum of academic qualifications ? I can't imagine any college admitting Zack if at eighteen he was as we know him, however well he played.

Edited by joyceraye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

I would not know how Vulture rates episodes but I thought this one was a lot better than 2/5. I don't really care if Lenny have kids or want to. It seems to me that it is something that ought to be discussed before deciding to get married. No idea why Leonard would seriously consider donating sperm for Zack and his wife. The only value of the sperm story as I see it is wrap the series around to episode 1 season one.

The interesting issue seemed to be how undeserving Lenny thought Zack was of the money he has. A business that creates menus. One wonders how they came up with that. Could Zack be a metaphor for the writers themselves? Coming out on top without really being deserving.

Well it wouldn't exactly be a donation would it ? They were offering Lenny money, presumably a helluva lot. I wonder if in a future episode that might come up as a factor in the decision-making ? Otherwise why mention it ?  True, Leonard's not usually jealous, let alone covetous, but Zack's success seems to have struck a nerve this time. We've known Zack for eight or nine years and in all that time he has been working for his living, whatever jokes they've made about his job. I agree it's an interesting issue. Is this foreshadowing something or will the writers forget ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Well it wouldn't exactly be a donation would it ? They were offering Lenny money, presumably a helluva lot. I wonder if in a future episode that might come up as a factor in the decision-making ? Otherwise why mention it ?  True, Leonard's not usually jealous, let alone covetous, but Zack's success seems to have struck a nerve this time. We've known Zack for eight or nine years and in all that time he has been working for his living, whatever jokes they've made about his job. I agree it's an interesting issue. Is this foreshadowing something or will the writers forget ? 

The writers forget, goodness, surely they don't do that!  8)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chucky said:

Are you sure?

Yes, he does have glasses sometimes. Just never on the show.

The ep was not as bad as I was afraid it was going to be.

I am very happy is in not the just end of Raj and Anu. Personally I found him very honest and endearing here, and to tell you the truth, I think he and Anu, chemistry or no chemistry, often talk their problems out better than anyone else on the show. And of course it was a delight to see Raj's dad trying in his own awkward way to defend his son. I always like to see Raj's dad. Elephants and marigolds...that made me laugh. Their storyline seemed to dominate to me, in spite of the fact that it was advertised more for the Zack story. I found Bernie and Howard to be rather cute here. I think they often work together the best of all the married couples. They have great chemistry to me so that helps, of course.

As for that, I think that another poster on another thread nailed it. They may wiggle out of this mess (Pun intended) by having Marissa turn up pregnant after all, that one of Zack's swimmers makes it through. Then they can flit off to something else with not a lot of work involved. I found Zack dumber than usual, though, and his wife wasn't that much better.

8 hours ago, SRAM said:

I didn’t like Penny in a parts of it and I felt sorry for Leonard and it just left me with sort of empty feeling about the whole plot at the end.

I didn't like Penny in most of it. I know that will upset people but I don't like a lot of time how she comes across and this was the worst in awhile. She was snarky and/or cold several times as I saw it.

6 hours ago, veejay said:

What bothers me a little, that it didn't have any hints about how Penny could change her mind about having kids, like not at all. IMO, she freaked out just because that was very unusual (and kinda creepy) situation

Exactly what I thought!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:
Quote

What bothers me a little, that it didn't have any hints about how Penny could change her mind about having kids, like not at all. IMO, she freaked out just because that was very unusual (and kinda creepy) situation

Exactly what I thought!

That's nice, but I didn't say that. That quote seems to have slipped. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, veejay said:

That quote seems to have slipped.

It's a pain in the butt, when that happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Can a footballer or any other sportsman get into uni without at least a certain minimum of academic qualifications ? I can't imagine any college admitting Zack if at eighteen he was as we know him, however well he played.

Some US movies/TV would lead one to think that but I don't actually know. College FB brings in a lot of money in the US for good teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Some US movies/TV would lead one to think that but I don't actually know. College FB brings in a lot of money in the US for good teams.

Not only good teams, but mediocre and bad teams as well. A lot of the no ranked and smaller schools get paid from 800 thousand to a million dollars to play teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State etc. It's a practice game for the big schools and a huge pay check for the other school!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Can a footballer or any other sportsman get into uni without at least a certain minimum of academic qualifications ? I can't imagine any college admitting Zack if at eighteen he was as we know him, however well he played.

The easy answer is, "no". The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) establishes academic criteria that high school students have to meet in order to qualify for collegiate athletics. Those that don't meet these requirements end up in college 'prep' schools. Once in a university, however, the systems are more prone to manipulation. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

The easy answer is, "no". The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) establishes academic criteria that high school students have to meet in order to qualify for collegiate athletics. Those that don't meet these requirements end up in college 'prep' schools. Once in a university, however, the systems are more prone to manipulation. 

Although there are some that slip thru the cracks! That's not as common these days. Someone slipping in these days are like finding a needle in a haystack!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 12:12 AM, Tensor said:

 

Does it means you should feel obligated not to have kids, if you spouse doesn't want them, and doesn't tell you that before marriage?  

But it's OK to want kids, and not be told your spouse doesn't want them before getting married?  

 

And not telling your spouse you don't want kids before marriage doesn't lead to resentment?  

 

Do you mean her "Sure Someday" guns?  

Or the guns where she said:

Leonard " We've been married two years should we think about what's next.. like buying a house or having a baby?".

Penny "Look I want to do all those things someday".

So you feel Penny had no obligation, to tell Leonard when he talked about it, "no, I don't want kids." ?

 

 

He also wanted kids, but it doesn't look like he is going to get that.  

Yeah well Penny doesn't. So she does get what she wants. And a successful career and Leonard. She wins :)

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sah said:

Yeah well Penny doesn't. So she does get what she wants. And a successful career and Leonard. She wins :)

She learned from the best=Sheldon

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

She learned from the best+Sheldon

Hm...

n_449.gif.1b873b6254b50f7a66b6b66e3250849f.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sah said:

Yeah well Penny doesn't. So she does get what she wants. And a successful career and Leonard. She wins :)

No she doesn’t, by lying and misleading Leonard, she increases the resentment in Leonard for lying and misleading him.  That’s a loss not a win. 

And you said Penny should stick to her guns,  

Do you mean her "Sure Someday" guns?

Or the guns where she said:

Leonard " We've been married two years should we think about what's next.. like buying a house or having a baby?".

Penny "Look I want to do all those things someday".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sah said:

Yeah well Penny doesn't. So she does get what she wants. And a successful career and Leonard. She wins :)

She settled for Leonard. Her words and behavior make that abundantly clear. Penny wants Leonard; in Dave Underhill's body.

david-underhill-big-bang-theory-leather-jacket.jpg

Boooooo, Penny!

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of right now though Leonard's baby is going to be smart and beautiful with dark hair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.