[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So ive just typed up what feels like a essay but i figure this is my last taping i go to so might as well do the spoilers right lol here you go and if its too much sorry in advance ūüėāūüėāūüėā Cold open

Here you go anyone wanting spoilers ūüėĄ The opening scene is so cute its sheldon waking Amy up in bed saying good morning wife and she says good morning husband, then he makes a comment about how i

"The Laureate Accumulation" The gang is watching Campbell/Pemberton on Ellen. Sheldon is just waiting for Ellen to ask them what exactly Super Asymmetry is so the world can see what big frauds th

Posted Images

Ratings are subjective yes. Don’t always equal quality. The highest rated season in demo was Season 3. Viewership Season 7. 12 million still solid for a show in its 12 season. I agree if the last season is at least satisfactory for Lenny. I guess no one well remember the past five seasons. 

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Bernie and Howard made me want to see this ep. They look adorable.

Can't wait for theor reaction to Stuart bringing Denise to the house!

1 minute ago, 3ku11 said:

Ratings are subjective yes. Don’t always equal quality. The highest rated season in demo was Season 3. Viewership Season 7. 12 million still solid for a show in its 12 season. I agree if the last season is at least satisfactory for Lenny. I guess no one well remember the past five seasons. 

So true!

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

The components that comprise ratings are subjective.

The ratings, themselves, are not subjective.  They can be used in comparison to ratings for other episodes, those of other shows and the demographics of the ratings are very useful to advertisers.  No, they are not subjective.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

The components that comprise ratings are subjective.

The ratings, themselves, are not subjective.  They can be used in comparison to ratings for other episodes, those of other shows and the demographics of the ratings are very useful to advertisers.  No, they are not subjective.

They are subjective in terms of quality. There are vast numbers of viewers that are just fans of the show regardless of the quality of the show. As I said these ratings are purely about the quantity viewers not quality of the show.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chucky said:

They are subjective in terms of quality. There are vast numbers of viewers that are just fans of the show regardless of the quality of the show. As I said these ratings are purely about the quantity viewers not quality of the show.

Viewership numbers are quantitative.  How many eyeballs were on the screen live, live +3, live +7.  It's a headcount pure and simple.

An analysis of who is still watching and who isn't is anymore is also quantitative based on factors like age group for example.  18-25, 25-40, 40 plus. It's a headcount.

WHY they are or are not watching is subjective.  Too much Sheldon, not enough Lenny, too much Stuart, too many commercials, cord cutting etc...

Edited by vonmar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, chucky said:

And that "quantity" is an objective measure, not a subjective one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Viewership numbers are quantitative.  How many eyeballs were on the screen live, live +3, live +7.  It's a headcount pure and simple.

An analysis of who is still watching and who isn't is anymore is also quantitative based on factors like age group for example.  18-25, 25-40, 40 plus. It's a headcount.

WHY they are or are not watching is subjective.  Too much Sheldon, not enough Lenny, too much Stuart, too many commercials, cord cutting etc...

All you need to know is that it's my opinion and that's that!

20 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

And that "quantity" is an objective measure, not a subjective one.

Oh well, that's your opinion, not mine!

12 minutes ago, chucky said:

All you need to know is that it's my opinion and that's that!

The greatest deception men suffer is their own opinions. - Leonardo da Vinci

• Like 6

21 hours ago, vonmar said:

You all keep telling yourselves that,

They are their 12th season and still pulling in 12+ million same day and even bigger numbers Live + 3.

There are shows that would kill for those numbers.

Your comment on my post is totally and absolutely irrelevant. I never said that the show is not successful. I just said that I consider the show crap (nowadays). It is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't care if the show has 30 million+ same day, since that wouldn't make me change my opinion. If the show doesn't make me laugh anymore how would the amount of viewers change that? I laugh at what I find funny, not at what other people do, even if it is 12 or 20 or 30 million

11 minutes ago, vonmar said:

The greatest deception men suffer is their own opinions. - Leonardo da Vinci

Regardless of your quote from Leonardo Da Vinci, the fact that I'm a man and you're a woman does not make your opinions better than mine (or worse for that matter). However when you imply that ratings=quality, that's not an opinion but a factual inaccuracy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Your comment on my post is totally and absolutely irrelevant. I never said that the show is not successful. I just said that I consider the show crap (nowadays). It is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't care if the show has 30 million+ same day, since that wouldn't make me change my opinion. If the show doesn't make me laugh anymore how would the amount of viewers change that? I laugh at what I find funny, not at what other people do, even if it is 12 or 20 or 30 million

I never said you weren't entitled to an opinion.  I made a counterpoint to that opinion.  Isn't that what we do here?

• Like 2

But your counterpoint had nothing to do with what I was saying. I said I don't like the show anymore you said it is still successful. Apples and oranges. nothing to do with each other.

• Like 4

Laverne & Shirley was a top a 5 hit for 4 of it 7 Seasons and 2 of them were number 1.It was was just cotton candy etnerineemtn at best. imo It  not what I I would call "good quality" (It not  on the same level of All In The family or Mary Tyler Moore), TV, Not to say it was a bad show, It a okay show that has some good moment and decent funny episodes. It was fair at most. 

The Waltons was only in the top 5 for one season and in the top 10 for one other season. It what I would call (The first five seasons anyway) good quality TV. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was only in the top 10 twice during it seven years run. It was also good quality TV. Both show (The Waltons for it first several seasons) were pretty good television.   Truly classics. MTM is often considered to be one of the 10 greatest TV Shows of all time. 

30 Rock was never in the top 50 during it run but is looked upon highly by TV Critics and is considered by the WGA to be of good quality TV.  They rank it the 23rd best written TV Show. 

So yes , Ratings are subjective and doesn't necessarily mean it a great or good (or even bad) quality TV Show. A Show being  of good or bad quality also subjective.  Some people don't considered TBBT to be good quality TV and never have. same with Friends 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 2

I'm not expecting any radical change from last year. Looks like they will call attention to YS periodically. I'm guessing TBBT is mostly done now. May will come and we will all wonder where the time went. Two down already.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Laverne & Shirley was a top a 5 hit for 4 of it 7 Seasons and 2 of them were number 1.It was was just cotton candy etnerineemtn at best. imo It  not what I I would call "good quality" (It not  on the same level of All In The family or Mary Tyler Moore), TV, Not to say it was a bad show, It a okay show that has some good moment and decent funny episodes. It was fair at most. 

The Waltons was only in the top 5 for one season and in the top 10 for one other season. It what I would call (The first five seasons anyway) good quality TV. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was only in the top 10 twice during it seven years run. It was also good quality TV. Both show (The Waltons for it first several seasons) were pretty good television.   Truly classics. MTM is often considered to be one of the 10 greatest TV Shows of all time. 

30 Rock was never in the top 50 during it run but is looked upon highly by TV Critics and is considered by the WGA to be of good quality TV.  They rank it the 23rd best written TV Show. 

So yes , Ratings are subjective and doesn't necessarily mean it a great or good (or even bad) quality TV Show. A Show being  of good or bad quality also subjective.  Some people don't considered TBBT to be good quality TV and never have. same with Friends 

There are different measures for a TV show. Ratings are a measure of popularity, as well as The People's Choice Awards. TBBT is extremely popular, that's for sure. That doesn't mean it is of "high quality" or that all of those who watch it still enjoy it (this forum is proof that this is not case, although we don't know what percentage of the viewership the unhappy ones are). Awards (other than PCA) are viewed as a measure of quality, but that is problematic because they usually represent just the opinions of a select group. They are more a measure of what "experts" beieve is quality content.

High achievement in one measure certainly doesn't mean high achievement in another. TBBT is extremely popukar but the show itself and its writing is not doing well at all with the "experts". My absolute favorite show, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend", ia doing terrible in ratings but great in awards and is considered "of high quality" by the "experts". That helped to allow The CW to let it have the number of seasons (4) and episodes (62) that were planned from the beginning, in spite of the terrible ratings (how wonderful that this can still happen in American network TV, one of the most commercially driven media).

In the end, everyone has their own opinion. When you don't like something, you don't like it no matter how popular it is or which awards it won. Same goes when you do like something, you just like it, even if you're among the only ones. I wish more people watched CXG because IMO it's wonderful, but whatever, I love it and I'm getting the amount of episodes that was planned. I'm happy.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, bfm said:

There are different measures for a TV show. Ratings are a measure of popularity, as well as The People's Choice Awards. TBBT is extremely popular, that's for sure. That doesn't mean it is of "high quality" or that all of those who watch it still enjoy it (this forum is proof that this is not case, although we don't know what percentage of the viewership the unhappy ones are). Awards (other than PCA) are viewed as a measure of quality, but that is problematic because they usually represent just the opinions of a select group. They are more a measure of what "experts" beieve is quality content.

High achievement in one measure certainly doesn't mean high achievement in another. TBBT is extremely popukar but the show itself and its writing is not doing well at all with the "experts". My absolute favorite show, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend", ia doing terrible in ratings but great in awards and is considered "of high quality" by the "experts". That helped to allow The CW to let it have the number of seasons (4) and episodes (62) that were planned from the beginning, in spite of the terrible ratings (how wonderful that this can still happen in American network TV, one of the most commercially driven media).

In the end, everyone has their own opinion. When you don't like something, you don't like it no matter how popular it is or which awards it won. Same goes when you do like something, you just like it, even if you're among the only ones. I wish more people watched CXG because IMO it's wonderful, but whatever, I love it and I'm getting the amount of episodes that was planned. I'm happy.

Well said!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

The Waltons was only in the top 5 for one season and in the top 10 for one other season. It what I would call (The first five seasons¬†anyway) good quality TV. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was only in the top 10 twice during it seven years run. It was also good quality TV. Both show (The Waltons for it first several seasons) were pretty good television.¬† ¬†Truly classics. MTM is often considered to be one of the 10 greatest TV Shows of all time.¬† ÔĽŅ

I didn't like either of those shows (All in the Family is another matter- I adored it) but I never looked down on people who did. With shows, no one should do that in my opinion. Just because one person likes something another person does not doesn't make either of them wrong,

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, chucky said:

Why not, they're hoping for it to be their new bell cow starting next year!

JMO but their ratings are going down faster than TBBT. I would think that would continue next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

JMO but their ratings are going down faster than TBBT. I would think that would continue next year.

I think that as well!

On 10/1/2018 at 7:43 PM, Burberry said:

People have been working late ūüėȬ†

There's got to be a better explanation than people working late!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

No.

No.

NO.

Ratings are not "subjective."  They are objective.

They are based on subjective opinions, but the ratings, themselves, are not subjective.

No one here has equated high ratings with quality or likeability, as the examples you've cited show so well. 

But the ratings are used to determine not just how many people watch - but who watches.  The networks take ratings. The advertisers take ratings, etc.   They base ad placement on who is watching a specific program.  That information is objective, not subjective.

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I didn't like either of those shows (All in the Family is another matter- I adored it) but I never looked down on people who did. With shows, no one should do that in my opinion. Just because one person likes something another person does not doesn't make either of them wrong,

Einstein hated to miss Beanie and Cecil.

"Time for Beanie," and he'd toddle off to watch.

66eec7b9fab7cf1764bf78a30b904e0c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

But the ratings are used to determine not just how many people watch - but who watches.  The networks take ratings. The advertisers take ratings, etc.   They base ad placement on who is watching a specific program.  That information is objective, not subjective.

I've said that all along about ratings are relating to the quantity and which viewers were watching the show. The subjective part is trying to use the ratings as a basis for the quality of the show.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

No.

No.

NO.

Ratings are not "subjective."  They are objective.

They are based on subjective opinions, but the ratings, themselves, are not subjective.

No one here has equated high ratings with quality or likeability, as the examples you've cited show so well. 

It only seems logical then if ratings are going down advertising rates will go down too.

• Like 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic